Anyone have Tein SS Coilovers w/EDFC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 07:26 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have Tein SS Coilovers w/EDFC?

I'm considering getting the Tein SS Coilovers for my '99TL, but I'm not sure how low I want to lower, if at all. I am more interested in the dampening factor. I want to be able to adjust both the dampening factor and the height easily and experiment. Does anyone out there have EDFC on theirs? (Electronic realtime adjustment)

Also, how much of a benefit would I see, given my current mods?

Jay
Old 08-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
jay .. those are kick ass rims bro... me likey!

don't know about the tein's .. but several ppl have 'em on Acura-cl.com ... the "BETTER" forum of the two
Old 08-17-2003, 07:39 PM
Advanced

PeterUbers - thanks for the compliment. I looked a long time back in early 2000 for rims that would fit the '99 TL. I haven't seen these anywhere else...yet.

Jay
Old 08-17-2003, 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
EDFC only adjusts the dampening, not the height.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
yup... if u want height adjustable with the flip of a switch... get air also, i dont think i have ever heard anyone complain about teins, so they gotta be kick a$$.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:31 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
How difficult is it to adjust the dampening and height on the Tein SS Coilovers without any EDFC? I heard the the front is easy, but the rear is difficult....

Jay
Old 08-18-2003, 07:56 AM
Banned

i THINK that for the rear u need to take out the back seat. im not sure though so dont quote me on that.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:34 AM
Pro

TEINs are great, If you drill a small hole in your rear deck you can adjust the rear dampers without taking the back seat out (Thanks Mr. Hyde....). I can adjust the dampening at all four corners in less than 5 minutes.

For height adjustment you need to jack the car up, I also remove the wheels..
Old 08-18-2003, 01:42 PM
Advanced

Are there any products available that allow electronic height and dampening adjustment?

If not, is there anything else comparable to Tein SS's with EDFC? Koni? Are there any other electronically adjustable dampening products?

Jay
Old 08-18-2003, 02:29 PM
Instructor

w/ an EDFC, changing dampening is just w/ a touch of a button. It sure is nice to change the dampening while driving and no need to get out of the car and test.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally posted by jay.k
Are there any products available that allow electronic height and dampening adjustment?

If not, is there anything else comparable to Tein SS's with EDFC? Koni? Are there any other electronically adjustable dampening products?

Jay
The only way you'll be able to adjust height with a switch is if you get an air suspension. Otherwise any other coilover system requires you adjust in manually.

The EDFC only allows for dampening controls, but from what I've heard it's awesome and makes it very easy to adjust your ride.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:16 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by jmai
w/ an EDFC, changing dampening is just w/ a touch of a button. It sure is nice to change the dampening while driving and no need to get out of the car and test.
Yes, this sounds way cool! jmai, how often do you change your dampening? And where are the controls mounted?

Jay
Old 08-18-2003, 04:38 PM
Instructor

hm...i change it ever so often when i'm in the mood for speed, tight turns or when i'm in the mood to have a comfy ride. When i'm on long rides on the freeway..i set it soft but once i'm on curvy roads, i set it back to hard. Gotta take those turns the rite way. There are 3 memory settings and the EDFC can control 32 settings since it has more precise settings instead of the 16 clicks that we hear.

Right now, i have it in my glove compartment..i'm gonna mounted on the CD tray that's on top of the head unit. I'm planning to ask someone from Street Effect to make me a tray that would fit the EDFC w/ sliding doors on the front if i want to hide the unit. The unit is so small that it fits into the palm of ur hand.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I have the EDFC w/ Teins as well ... Its really nice, mostly because you can adjust the ride to what you feel like at the time ... So like jmai says, on long freeway trips, you can set it to the softest setting for a smooth ride, and then for twisties make the ride harsher but tighter...

You can checkout my website for pics of the EDFC. I have it mounted in the center console so I can change it easily while driving ... (I usually wait till I'm at a complete stop to make the changes though, I did have the EDFC get out of alignment once... just requires a power off/power on of the EDFC and it re-calibrates, but then it forgets your favorites!)

My Car
Old 08-18-2003, 07:01 PM
Instructor

How much is the EDFC and where can I get it from?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2003, 10:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
It's $1000.00 for the whole Tein EDFC setup ... plus the install.. it ain't gunna come cheap .. but i've heard nothing but awesome things about it
Old 08-19-2003, 08:20 AM
Banned

$1000 including the coilovers right?
Old 08-19-2003, 09:33 AM
Racer

Originally posted by str8acura
i THINK that for the rear u need to take out the back seat. im not sure though so dont quote me on that.
Your right...to adjust the height of the rear means the rear seats must come out...it's a pain...the front is very easy..juss pop the hood and adjust it..that's why i will be looking into the EDFC soon...oh by the way had the tein ss coilovers for only a few weeks but no complaints at all...very good ride...very stiff at the way i adjusted and very good handling...makes the ride height go very well wit the new 19's
Old 08-19-2003, 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jspecinspire
Your right...to adjust the height of the rear means the rear seats must come out...it's a pain...the front is very easy..juss pop the hood and adjust it..that's why i will be looking into the EDFC soon...oh by the way had the tein ss coilovers for only a few weeks but no complaints at all...very good ride...very stiff at the way i adjusted and very good handling...makes the ride height go very well wit the new 19's
dude... dont hold out on us... post some pics!!
Old 08-19-2003, 09:39 AM
Pro

Originally posted by VTEChump
TEINs are great, If you drill a small hole in your rear deck you can adjust the rear dampers without taking the back seat out (Thanks Mr. Hyde....). I can adjust the dampening at all four corners in less than 5 minutes.

Old 08-20-2003, 02:13 PM
Racer

dude... dont hold out on us... post some pics!!
Bro i will post pics soon but a few things happened...first i need a camera, but i think i can take care of that part of the prob...second....one rim got bent cuz i hit a huge pothole in the rain..i couldn't see anything...went to pick up some jdm lock nuts....third...my tranny just died....so now the rim is already repaired but my car is at the dealership getting a new tranny...so as soon as i get it back i'll try to take some pix and post it...or have someone host the pics for me....but to give u a idea of wha i have done so far....19x8 Lowenhart BR5's with toyo proxes, kyokugen lock nut set, and tein ss coilovers, i have the value eyelids but decided not to put em on til i repaint my whole car in dec. along with the value sport body kit, and a few other lil surprises that i planned to do...but for now i'll try to get some pix up as soon as possible...
Old 08-20-2003, 07:38 PM
Cruisin'

I have Teins with the EDFC. Highly recommend, you can adjust the ride height to your desired liking and you can set the shocks from the softest setting for a smooth ride, and then completely stiff for performance driving and any in-between setting your like. Best of all worlds. Make sure you get some Comptech sways, that will put the final touches on your suspension. I originally just had the Teins without the EDFC and had the holes in the rear deck to adjust the shocks, but I'm really glad I added the EDFC. I can change the settings as I drive, big plus in the convenience department especially when coming off the freeway in comfortable cruise mod and then want to partake in some hard/fun driving maneuvers.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:58 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jspecinspire
Bro i will post pics soon but a few things happened...first i need a camera, but i think i can take care of that part of the prob...second....one rim got bent cuz i hit a huge pothole in the rain..i couldn't see anything...went to pick up some jdm lock nuts....third...my tranny just died....so now the rim is already repaired but my car is at the dealership getting a new tranny...so as soon as i get it back i'll try to take some pix and post it...or have someone host the pics for me....but to give u a idea of wha i have done so far....19x8 Lowenhart BR5's with toyo proxes, kyokugen lock nut set, and tein ss coilovers, i have the value eyelids but decided not to put em on til i repaint my whole car in dec. along with the value sport body kit, and a few other lil surprises that i planned to do...but for now i'll try to get some pix up as soon as possible...
i love the br5's

anyways, damn thats a lot of bad luck. hopefully it all gets fixed soon. we should meet up one day and do a small photoshot
Old 08-21-2003, 05:45 PM
Racer

i love the br5's

anyways, damn thats a lot of bad luck. hopefully it all gets fixed soon. we should meet up one day and do a small photoshot

Bro PM me, we can definitely meet up..cuz i would like to see your car too...if you want we can meet up and take some pix...i should have my car back early next week...
Old 09-16-2003, 05:52 AM
Burning Brakes

how much is the EDFC by itself? can it be used on other adjustables such as the tokicos?
Old 09-16-2003, 07:00 AM
Liquid Ice

Originally posted by systek
how much is the EDFC by itself? can it be used on other adjustables such as the tokicos?
EDFC only works on the Tein SS Coilovers as far as I know... It will work on some other Tein coilovers too, but I don't know of any Teins made for our cars other than the SS, although I heard the CL will be getting coilovers that will allow them to use the EDFC in the front and the rear!
Old 09-16-2003, 11:24 PM
Burning Brakes

so ur saying that currently, the edfc doesnt work on the rear shocks?
Old 09-17-2003, 04:58 AM
Liquid Ice

Originally posted by systek
so ur saying that currently, the edfc doesnt work on the rear shocks?
With the Acura CL and Tein SS Coilovers its not possible to use the EDFC on the rears.

With the Acura TL and Tein SS Coilovers you can adjust the front + rears with the EDFC ...

Since you have a TL, you should be able to adjust both.