Anyone have the Neuspeed strut tower brace?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 03:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone have the Neuspeed strut tower brace?

Just wondering if it is easily installed, worth the money, etc... Thanks.
Old 07-09-2001, 09:24 PM
Racer

Thumbs up

I have one but for my accord, so i cant comment on how easy it is to install it in a TLS. On the accord, it took me a little while to get it to fit cause my car is lowered and i think that made the strut towers a little closer together, but once i fiddled with it for a little while, it fit. For me, it was definitely worth the money. The improvement was instant and gratifying. I already had eibach pro kits and koni shocks so I suppose the improvement is more noticeable. in any case, it was a very good addition.
Old 07-09-2001, 09:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the tie bar installs right above the factory bar. Unscrew 4 nuts, put in the bar and rescrew. This is for the CL but should work on a TL. There are some current posts on the CL board.
Old 07-09-2001, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I have it. Very easy to install. Two nuts on each strut tower. Took all of 10 minutes.

Definitely tightens up the car.

You're in luck. Someone on the CL board just reviewed this strut bar.

Check HERE
Old 07-09-2001, 10:17 PM
Racer

let me get this straight, you can buy a neuspeed strut bar that you can install over your existing stock TL-S sway-bars?

And this will stiffen up your ride for inproved handling??

thx for the info
Old 07-10-2001, 04:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by paultl
let me get this straight, you can buy a neuspeed strut bar that you can install over your existing stock TL-S sway-bars?

And this will stiffen up your ride for inproved handling??

thx for the info
I hope you mean putting a Neuspeed strut bar that you put NEXT to the stock TLS strut bar (not sway bars)!

I'm the "current" reviewer over on the CLS forum, but if it is anything like the CLS, you leave the stock bar in place (loosen the factory nuts to make it easy to install). Then removed the nuts (2 - 14mm nuts on either side). You just drop the Neuspeed bar onto the studs and you now have a factory bar AND a Neuspeed bar.

This is a very subjective mod -- the car's balance wasn't changed. It was not like putting my very sticky tires on the car. It makes the front feel "better". Even my wife said the car felt great (solid, nice and tight).
Old 07-10-2001, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Thanks. I checked out those posts on the CL board. I ordered it through importhookup.com and got $30 off at carparts.com.
Old 07-10-2001, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Good luck. carparts.com sucks. They have screwed quite a few people over on this item. Here are some posts.

http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=1&t=007919

http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=1&t=008035

http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=1&t=007497

Ya know you can buy them from Tim at autocarparts.com for under $110. And I'll guarantee it'll be right and delivered on time.

Here's the link: Neuspeed Upper Strut Bar
Old 07-10-2001, 10:32 AM
Instructor

HEY HOW MUCH IS THE NUESPEED BAR????? Where can i get oneT
Thanks Danny
Old 07-10-2001, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by DniCeE TL
HEY HOW MUCH IS THE NUESPEED BAR????? Where can i get oneT
Thanks Danny
Neuspeed Upper Strut Bar
Old 07-10-2001, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
Good luck. carparts.com sucks. They have screwed quite a few people over on this item. Here are some posts.

http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=1&t=007919

http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=1&t=008035

http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=1&t=007497

Ya know you can buy them from Tim at autocarparts.com for under $110. And I'll guarantee it'll be right and delivered on time.

Here's the link: Neuspeed Upper Strut Bar
yeah, i've read those posts. But 30 bucks is 30 bucks and since i'm not in any hurry, i'll take my chances. I did buy my springs from Tim and he came through on time and at a good price.
Old 07-11-2001, 08:42 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This was exactly what I was asking for looong time ago. I wanted to mod the car as much as possible WITHOUT replacing ANYTHING. Strut bar? sway bar? whats the differece? is the strut bar only for the front and not the rear? but sway bars are for both?
Old 07-12-2001, 11:00 AM
Banned

What we are talking about now is a strut bar aka tie bar. Right now Neuspeed only makes them for the front and it is an addition to the car to make it stiffer. You place it right above the factory tie bar. Sway bars are both front and back and much harder to install.
Old 07-12-2001, 01:06 PM

OK....so what are these?

Front Suspension - Independent double-wishbone with coil springs and stabilizer bar

Rear Suspension - Independent multi-link double-wishbone with coil springs and stabilizer bar

These are taken directly off the acura web site. Are these anti-roll bars? Or are they strut bars?

I'm basically trying to get the most mods for my car without having to replace anything, since in a way the old parts would be wasted away sitting in the garage. Right now the only thing I could think of would be upgrading the tires WHEN the old ones wear out, same withthe bulbs and air filter. So is the strut bar my only option without replacing anything?
Old 07-12-2001, 03:02 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by edgalang
OK....so what are these?

Front Suspension - Independent double-wishbone with coil springs and stabilizer bar

Rear Suspension - Independent multi-link double-wishbone with coil springs and stabilizer bar

These are taken directly off the acura web site. Are these anti-roll bars? Or are they strut bars?

I'm basically trying to get the most mods for my car without having to replace anything, since in a way the old parts would be wasted away sitting in the garage. Right now the only thing I could think of would be upgrading the tires WHEN the old ones wear out, same withthe bulbs and air filter. So is the strut bar my only option without replacing anything?
basically, the techical term for the "sway-bars" on the underside of the car is anti-roll bars. the TL/TLS comes with anti-roll bars (sway bars) for both the front and the rear, and it also has an upper strut tower tie bar, which is under the hood. the neuspeed bar goes next to this upper strut tower tie bar, under the hood. noone makes one for the rear, because the strut bolts are hidden behind the rear passenger seat with rear deck covering them, so installing it would be quite destrutive to ur interior.
Old 07-12-2001, 04:24 PM

If thats the case, has anyone tried the Eibach Pro control bars? Do they also fit with the stock bar like the neuspeed does?
Old 07-12-2001, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

BTW -- I'm one of the guys who regrets ever dealing with carparts.com.

Comment1: The Neuspeed bar I got is a worthy addition, but it won’t make the kind of difference that a set of sway bars or sticky tires will. It is a tight fit between the factory (OEM) bar and the Neuspeed one. The car feels tighter, and if the car is modded, it is probably a good buy.

Comment2: Get the bloody part from Tim (Snook). I got such a headache from trying to 1) figure out if they would ever get me the thing 2) calling and calling (will spare you the 5 hours of insanity, misinformation I got, and number of dropped calls and holds 3) canceling and even getting a verbal promise from the VP of Customer Service that I would never have the bar show up. All promised were broken -- I will NEVER do business with them again. (The VP is too embarrassed to call me on the phone, so I finally got an e-mail with a we retracted your pre-authorization -- this after I told them I called AMEX to cancel out their order).

Comment3: Deal with Tim (Snook), Deal with Tim (Snook) -- make a recording of this and play the tape all night long until you realize how great he is to deal with compared to people who are clueless...
Old 07-12-2001, 08:40 PM

I just bought one from Tim 30 seconds ago! Woohoo to my first performance upgrade. (hey..im on a budget ok?)
Old 07-12-2001, 09:26 PM
Banned

I thought we had MacPhersons Struts in front and double wishbone in back. Isn't double wishbone in front better suspension...just more expensive?
Old 07-13-2001, 08:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
re: 30 bucks

Originally posted by cjscott

yeah, i've read those posts. But 30 bucks is 30 bucks and since i'm not in any hurry, i'll take my chances. I did buy my springs from Tim and he came through on time and at a good price.
Wow, if you're really worried about saving $30 on a $110 piece for a $31k + car, I think you should reveiw something. I know you said you're not worried about waiting... but that's not the issue... it may never come!! Spend a little more cash, save the headache and get it from Tim on here. In addition to all of that, you're supporting the board you use for your info.....
Old 07-13-2001, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Re: re: 30 bucks

Originally posted by juniorbean

Wow, if you're really worried about saving $30 on a $110 piece for a $31k + car, I think you should reveiw something. I know you said you're not worried about waiting... but that's not the issue... it may never come!! Spend a little more cash, save the headache and get it from Tim on here. In addition to all of that, you're supporting the board you use for your info.....
Actually, it worked out to more than $30, cuz Tim wanted like 117 bucks for the bar and 15 for shipping = $132, and carparts is $87 with shipping = $45 savings. And maybe it won't ever come. BFD, its just a sway bar, I'll survive somehow. And you mean to tell me that just because I spent $30,000+ on a car I should stop caring how much things cost? That's dumb.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts

And if you pay the money and get nothing, and then order through Tim, how much will you be saving in the end??????

Why not support the site you get so much out of, and get good reliable, well priced serviced and merchandise at the same time??I have my sways and Headers on order from Tim. UPS tried to deliver the sways yesterday and I wasnt home to pick em up.

I got an email from Tim today stating they tried to deliver yesterday, no one was home and that they would try to deliver again today. Talk about service!!!!!!!! I'd like you to find one site out there that would do something like that. Plus I would like you to find a site that you would go to purchase something from, and they would tell you that a mod you were looking for doesnt really do what you think it will and that you should just save your money.

My headers are being delayed at Comptechs end, in order to speed things up Tim arranged for direct shipping form them to my door.

Thats service for you, and for that kind of reliable service, and all that energy and time he puts into it to a few bucks is chump change to me. I'll pay a few bucks more to someone who puts the time and energy into me than some guy whos just interested in your $$ and treats you like crapp to save a few bucks anyday. But for the most part thats not even the case as Tims prices are hard to beat
Old 07-13-2001, 10:00 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Mr Hyde

And if you pay the money and get nothing, and then order through Tim, how much will you be saving in the end??????

Why not support the site you get so much out of, and get good reliable, well priced serviced and merchandise at the same time??I have my sways and Headers on order from Tim. UPS tried to deliver the sways yesterday and I wasnt home to pick em up.

I got an email from Tim today stating they tried to deliver yesterday, no one was home and that they would try to deliver again today. Talk about service!!!!!!!! I'd like you to find one site out there that would do something like that. Plus I would like you to find a site that you would go to purchase something from, and they would tell you that a mod you were looking for doesnt really do what you think it will and that you should just save your money.

My headers are being delayed at Comptechs end, in order to speed things up Tim arranged for direct shipping form them to my door.

Thats service for you, and for that kind of reliable service, and all that energy and time he puts into it to a few bucks is chump change to me. I'll pay a few bucks more to someone who puts the time and energy into me than some guy whos just interested in your $$ and treats you like crapp to save a few bucks anyday. But for the most part thats not even the case as Tims prices are hard to beat
I don't know what you girls are getting your panties in a bunch about. I ordered my springs from Tim, and as I said he came through with flying colors. I personally never had any problems with carparts.com and I've ordered from them at least 7 or 8 times. If we were talking about a couple bucks, I would for sure go with Tim, but I'll take 40% savings where I can get it.
Old 07-13-2001, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't know what you girls are getting your panties in a bunch about. I ordered my springs from Tim, and as I said he came through with flying colors. I personally never had any problems with carparts.com and I've ordered from them at least 7 or 8 times. If we were talking about a couple bucks, I would for sure go with Tim, but I'll take 40% savings where I can get it.
At the time I placed the orders for my Headers group buy had a broup buy goin on for them at the same time. Guess what, it has since been shut down. Sux for all those guys who placed orders, but thats what happens when someone thinks they can make a profit of $10 per item by selling things for $10 over invoice, problem is they rarely figure out what overhead will be.

Reason why so many are upset is for the simple reason that Tim asks for 0 help running the site which can be expensive. Hey we just got new servers and thats $$$. The least we can do is support him by buying merchandise at autocarprts.com.

Posts like yours have literally made Tim question himself as to why hes putting all the time, money and energy into running this site, he doesnt get anything out of it and its just a drain on him, but hes a TL enthusiast as am I, and siince I use and enjoy this site so often, I'll do what I can to keep it going. Thats the way many here apparently feel, maybe you are one of them maybe you arent.

So to you I hope your order comes through and that you enjoy it and that you dont get your panties in a bunch if it doesnt.
Old 07-13-2001, 10:21 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Mr Hyde

At the time I placed the orders for my Headers group buy had a broup buy goin on for them at the same time. Guess what, it has since been shut down. Sux for all those guys who placed orders, but thats what happens when someone thinks they can make a profit of $10 per item by selling things for $10 over invoice, problem is they rarely figure out what overhead will be.

Reason why so many are upset is for the simple reason that Tim asks for 0 help running the site which can be expensive. Hey we just got new servers and thats $$$. The least we can do is support him by buying merchandise at autocarprts.com.

Posts like yours have literally made Tim question himself as to why hes putting all the time, money and energy into running this site, he doesnt get anything out of it and its just a drain on him, but hes a TL enthusiast as am I, and siince I use and enjoy this site so often, I'll do what I can to keep it going. Thats the way many here apparently feel, maybe you are one of them maybe you arent.

So to you I hope your order comes through and that you enjoy it and that you dont get your panties in a bunch if it doesnt.
You're right. My bad. I guess I'm the only one that's ever bought ANYTHING from anyone besides Tim. Maybe he should start selling clothes and food and shoe laces, cuz you'll obviously buy anything from him, no matter what the price.
Old 07-13-2001, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

You're right. My bad. I guess I'm the only one that's ever bought ANYTHING from anyone besides Tim. Maybe he should start selling clothes and food and shoe laces, cuz you'll obviously buy anything from him, no matter what the price.

Yup you're right. I wonder if he has a special on any expenive panties?? I think I need a new pair. These bunched up ones are killin me.
Old 07-13-2001, 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Angry RE: ass

You know what's funny, we are all just trying to help you out. We're not saying don't save money, we're not saying Tim is the only guy who sells stuff, we're saying that LATELY carparts.com has been screwing people over left and right. If it was just one or two, fine, it happens.... but there have been many and we're just looking out for you b/c of those problems that have been reported. A lot of those guys had also purchased from them before. It just seems the problems are recent (last month or 2). I hope that you get it with no problems b/c it's a good deal, but to be honest, at this point, I don't give a schit if they screw you over. Drop the attitude and be grateful that people who don't even know you are trying to prevent you from being dikked around......
Old 07-13-2001, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Re: RE: ass

You know what's funny, we are all just trying to help you out. We're not saying don't save money, we're not saying Tim is the only guy who sells stuff, we're saying that LATELY carparts.com has been screwing people over left and right. If it was just one or two, fine, it happens.... but there have been many and we're just looking out for you b/c of those problems that have been reported. A lot of those guys had also purchased from them before. It just seems the problems are recent (last month or 2). I hope that you get it with no problems b/c it's a good deal, but to be honest, at this point, I don't give a **** if they screw you over. Drop the attitude and be grateful that people who don't even know you are trying to prevent you from being ****ed around......
Just trying to help me out? Why don't you read back a few posts and see who's got an attitude? All I did was say I was ordering from carparts.com and everyone went nuts. I appreciate that you're all sticking up for Tim, but if he can't beat the price, he can't beat the price. Nothing to get worked up over.
Old 07-13-2001, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Re: strut brace

Just trying to help me out? Why don't you read back a few posts and see who's got an attitude? All I did was say I was ordering from carparts.com and everyone went nuts. I appreciate that you're all sticking up for Tim, but if he can't beat the price, he can't beat the price. Nothing to get worked up over.

Yeah, trying to help you out. Everyone went nuts b/c of the problems lately with carparts.com, so we were just looking out. If you had purchased from someone else, no one would have said anything. It's not b/c you didn't buy from Tim, it's b/c of carparts.com's reputation lately (price difference or not).

Anyway, in an effort to get this back on topic..... is there an advantage to install the strut brace if you have the sways installed??
Old 07-13-2001, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: strut brace

Yeah, trying to help you out. Everyone went nuts b/c of the problems lately with carparts.com, so we were just looking out. If you had purchased from someone else, no one would have said anything. It's not b/c you didn't buy from Tim, it's b/c of carparts.com's reputation lately (price difference or not).

Anyway, in an effort to get this back on topic..... is there an advantage to install the strut brace if you have the sways installed??
If you think Mr Hyde's not upset because I didn't order from Tim, then we obviously interpret things differently. But regardless, I appreciate you getting back on topic, and that's a question I would also like to know the answer to.
Old 07-13-2001, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

re: it's all good

Well, that's my fault for skimming his reply and not "reading" it.... my bad.....

Anyway, I'm curious as to the whole sway / strut thing b/c I'm planning on getting the strut bar & sways, and if it's not necessary, I'd rather do the one with the most benefit. If both are good, I'll get both......
Old 07-13-2001, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Thank you, juniorbean, for stepping in and getting us back on topic. I got a little carried away. Mr Hyde, I apologize for any rude comments I made, I hope we can just agree to disagree.
Old 07-16-2001, 09:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Hopefull the end of a lesson...

From 6/23/2001 to 7/16/2001 -- finally returned the "CANCELED" part from carparts.com. (It took a page on the other forum to describe the horrors...)

I've lost at least 1/2-3/4 days of time. Had to stop UPS shipments for a week. And been so hassled, that the though of dealing with carparts.com makes me ill.

The reason for the comments --> You/Me/All get what we pay for, and I will never go for a $30.00 con job again.

When I look at the great experience I had with Tim, I feel even more stupid for ever doing business with "THEM".

If you guys ever want a truely bad experience, deal with carparts.com

Please -- do yourself a favor -- Buy your parts from Tim. I know I will never fall for the "con" again. I'm cured!

BTW -- the part is great...

Comments -- improvements in order (chronology and improvement):

1. Tires -- Toyo T1S Proxies 235/45-17 (Stick like glue) Best!!!
2. Wheels -- light weight == acceleration city
3. Sways -- No more luxo-barge sway!
4. Neuspeed strut bar (sorry no lowering for me) -- tight, tight, tight up in front -- no squirm!
Old 07-16-2001, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by EricL
1. Tires -- Toyo T1S Proxies 235/45-17 (Stick like glue) Best!!!
2. Wheels -- light weight == acceleration city
3. Sways -- No more luxo-barge sway!
4. Neuspeed strut bar (sorry no lowering for me) -- tight, tight, tight up in front -- no squirm!
How wide are your rims? I'm planning to put 235/45-17 on the stocks when they get all used up, and I'm just wondering how many people have this setup, and if you do, how hard have to turned of em. I know they fit, but I'm kinda worried that the tire might pop out of the rim during a tight turn.

P.S. Im getting my strut bar tomorrow....yay!
Old 07-17-2001, 06:46 PM
Suzuka Master

How wide are your rims? I'm planning to put 235/45-17 on the stocks when they get all used up, and I'm just wondering how many people have this setup, and if you do, how hard have to turned of em. I know they fit, but I'm kinda worried that the tire might pop out of the rim during a tight turn.

P.S. Im getting my strut bar tomorrow....yay!
I put the 235/45-17s on the CLS stock rims -- I did some test driving on the tire-rim combo that would have scared the life out of most people -- they don't come off!

However, those rims where 7" rims, and the recommended minimum for the Toyo 235/45-17 were 7.5" (BMW and others have done the undersize by 1/2" before...)

I think you may be getting a little tight with a 235/45-17 on a 6.5" wide rim (I don't know -- what is the limit???)

I am currently running SSR Competition Wheels -- 17x8" +48 offset. I got the wheels to help acceleration and "unsprung weight" (it makes the ride over bumps wonderful!)
Old 07-17-2001, 07:21 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
How can adding this strut tower brace make any difference at all?
The car already has a strut tower brace. If someone has installed one, how exactly did it improve the handling. Cheap modification if it actually works.
Old 07-17-2001, 07:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by dj5
How can adding this strut tower brace make any difference at all?
The car already has a strut tower brace. If someone has installed one, how exactly did it improve the handling. Cheap modification if it actually works.
Yep, you are quite right -- there is already a factory bar there. It is more about "additional" strength being provided. The Neuspeed bar sits right next to the factory bar. The Neuspeed bar also grabs the two 14 mm strut tower bars studs that are nearest to the front window of the car. The general "feeling" is that the bar helps to a) strengthen the factory bar b) reduce twist in the front struts. I mention twist -- if you look at the Neuspeed bar it has a arc-shaped plate that mounts on the 2 strut tower studs.

So, is this like putting on super-sticky rubber -- I don't think so (just my opinion).

It does help tighten up the front-end. I can tell the difference in tight turns -- it feels like there is less scrub and a “tighter” feel.

IMO -- it will make more of a difference if you already have sways, sticky (not-stock) tires/wider wheels & tires, springs, and/or sways.

In other words, if you have added more stress to the struts, why not be "safe" and add some more support. It is subtle, but noticeable...
Old 07-17-2001, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by EricL

I think you may be getting a little tight with a 235/45-17 on a 6.5" wide rim (I don't know -- what is the limit???)
I ask because some people put 235's on stock tls rims, but never came back to give a full review. I read all over that the recommended minimum difference between oversized tire and rims is 70% and 235's on 6.5 BARELY makes it...but makes it non the less.
Old 07-17-2001, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

I ask because some people put 235's on stock tls rims, but never came back to give a full review. I read all over that the recommended minimum difference between oversized tire and rims is 70% and 235's on 6.5 BARELY makes it...but makes it non the less.
Well, there is guy on the CLS forum that put 235/40x17s on the 17x7" wheels and they require a 8" minimum, where the 235/45-17s want a 7.5" minimum, but the "measuring rim" is 8".

The only "problem" that was encountered with my "stock rim/Toyo setup" came from another user (the Toyo T1S Proxies have really thick rim protectors) and he said he could NOT get the tires aligned on the stock wheels. (He said the laser calipers would NOT fit between the tire bead and the wheel!!!!

I went running off to three different shops in my area to ask if they could align my 235/45 Toyos on the stock rims and they all said yes. When I pressed one of them to actually do it without scratching the rim, they said they might put some surface scratches into the rim's clear-coat -- note they didn't say they would for sure, they just said that they might.

So, the tires DO NOT COME OFF -- it really is a matter of finding someone you can e-mail, then asking a bunch of tough questions like( have you driven hard with them, how long have you driven on them, have you tried to get an alignement, have you noticed any problems, ...)
Old 07-17-2001, 10:35 PM

Yeah I found him. His name here is zman. He has the stock tls rims with 235/45 yokahama avs and said they worked just fine. Problem is he mostly goes straight (90-100MPH) and doesnt do any hard dukes of hazard maneuvers and crap.

Quick Reply: Anyone have the Neuspeed strut tower brace?