Anybody bother warming up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 05:15 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anybody bother warming up?

Just a general question about our TL-S. Do any of you warm up when starting the car in the morning? Since I live in Chicago, the winters can be quite harsh (we had it easy this winter). So, I usually warm up the car for about 5 minutes during the winter. But during the summer (or when weather is warm), I usually just start and go. I've heard good and bad things about warming up. Some say V6s don't require warming up, while others say it's a must to ensure the engines longivitive. Just wanted to get y'all opinion on it.

axleback
Old 04-29-2002, 05:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i always do in winter, but in summer once i get going it gets warm quite fast and it stays like that...winter here is harsh too...its CRAZZZY...
Old 04-29-2002, 05:56 PM
Banned

well now that its gettin warming... i just let it idling for like 2 mintues to get the oil flowing, thats it.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:08 PM
All Hail the Chief

You have to warm the car up and get the oil flowing regardless of the weather! I usually start it up, let it idle for 30 seconds, drop it into gear(say reverse) and let it sit in gear for about 5-10 seconds, then go.

The longer your car sits, the greater the need to warm it up since most of the oil has dripped into the oil pan. No need to go more than a minute or two. Anything greater and you're being wasteful.

I have a friend who insists on letting that sucker sit and warm up for at least 10 minutes....DUDE YOU'RE WASTING GAS!!!!

The manager of my apartment complex lives on the first floor of my building, the office is about 150 feet from her door.....SHE DRIVES TO WORK AND BACK EVERYDAY!! :wow: Now that's gonna be one hum-dinger of a used car when it goes to market! No warm-up...and to make matters worse, she's in her 30's and in good health(I think).
Old 04-29-2002, 06:58 PM
Advanced

Warm-up...

You only need to warm-up for 30 - 60 seconds. I believe the owner's manual mentions this. I usually wait until the temp gauge has moved up into the "warm zone" before I do any hard acceleration. I did the same thing with a previous car and got just over 175,000 miles on it with no engine problems.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

im correcting my self, i dont turn on the car and change gears right away, but wait for at least 10-30 seconds... but in winter i would let the car run outside for 5-10 minutes, and i would be in a building out of the cold haha!!
Old 04-29-2002, 07:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think its a waste of fuel to warm the car up. However I do it all the time. If you got snow/ ice/frost on the windows ofcourse clean it off & let the car warm. If its just cold & none of the elements are on the windows after 2mins I will pull off. I find the car warms up quicker when its moving. They say to go slow the first mile or two. With my stick shift HONDA cars I let them warm up a bit when it was cold.This was because the cars were slugish & harder to put into gear when cold. Each model was better than the other when it came to this. My 80 Prelude was a hum dinger when it was cold. I would ease it into 2nd gear or it would clunk hard. But this car would warm up better than many others when it was cold. My 90 ACCORD was alot better & the 94 ACOORD even better. When I had 90 & 94 I was working evening hours & would be ready to get the heck out of that place. It was 10:30 or 11:00PM or some time 12:00AM when I got off. I had a 25 to 30min ride home even at that time of night. I did not have time to warm up the car so I drove slow until the temp needle would rise up a bit.
Old 04-29-2002, 08:02 PM
Pro

its always good to warm up the car! i do at least 4 minutes depending on the temp of the weahter.. dont forget to cool her down either!! I got a turbo timer and it shuts off after 40 seconds i take my keys out. thats not a bad way to go~~
Old 04-29-2002, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Waiting a few seconds after the car is started wont hurt. The real nessesicty in "warming-up" is go easy on the pedal before the temp guage has been at normal for 3 min or so. Once the temperate guage is at normal running temperature for a minute or two then the engine is heated up enough inside and is burning fuel EFFECIENTLY. This is the key. The engine is designed to run effeciently at the normal running temperature. Below this temperate there is a higher amount of carbon being created in the combustion process. Which means if you give it alot of gas, theres going to be alot fo carbon, and its going to end up sticking to the valves, cylinder walls, and entire exhaust sytem if it doesnt make it out to the air. If you get carbon build up in the cyldier walls etc. it will cuase tiny scrapes in there, which lowers compression ratio, fuel economy, and the list goes on. So, to wrap up, sure, dont throw it into gear for 30 seconds - 1 minute, but more importantly be easy on the throttle until the engine is up to running temperature. The only reason you really "warm up" you rcar would be for your own conveneince in winter to turn the heater on immediatley. Hope that all made sense!
Old 04-29-2002, 10:50 PM
O.G.

I always wait about 30 secs to 1 minute before I start moving regardless of the temp.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:22 AM
Instructor

I have always wondered which is true- some say yes some say no- I reach in and turn the key and usually do somethin in the garage for a minute or two.

I think it just gets the oil flowin - I live in Chi too and I am intersted to see how these wheels perform in snow- your'e right we got off easy this year.

DAY
Old 04-30-2002, 08:00 AM
Banned

I always try and wait 30-60 seconds after starting before moving the vehicle. I have a remote start so in the winter months I'm usually starting it a good 5-10 minutes before I get in to get it heated up. In the summer months, if I'm in a hurry I'll use the remote start even as I'm walking towards the car. That way by the time I open up the door, get in, put on the seatbelt, acknowledge the navi and put it in gear the oil has had sufficient time to circulate.

No matter what time of year though, I don't run it hard until the car is up to normal operating temperature (temp gauge just below halfway up).
Old 04-30-2002, 08:07 AM
Instructor

You all have only confirmed my intention to remain in Florida. I couldn't imagine climbing into a frigid car every morning.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:11 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Lauderdale TL
You all have only confirmed my intention to remain in Florida. I couldn't imagine climbing into a frigid car every morning.
That's what remote starters, heated mirrors and heated seats are for. Now if only we could get a heated steering wheel.....
Old 04-30-2002, 10:16 AM
Pro

Originally posted by pianoman41

That's what remote starters, heated mirrors and heated seats are for. Now if only we could get a heated steering wheel.....
That's what the gloves are for and hence what the glove compartment is for... Just wanted to be a wise a$$ for once pianoman.

axleback
Old 04-30-2002, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally posted by axleback

That's what the gloves are for and hence what the glove compartment is for... Just wanted to be a wise a$$ for once pianoman.

axleback
Heck, in Chicago you probably could use gloves *and* the heated wheel..... :devil:
Old 04-30-2002, 01:01 PM
Intermediate

It is a lot better to warm-up your car for 30 seconds and then drive at low speeds for 2-3 miles, then to let your car idle for 3-4 minutes. If you have to have your car idle for a while (more than a minute or so), it is actually better to shut off your engine and then restart the car.
One more word of advice: switch to RedLine already
Old 04-30-2002, 01:14 PM
Racer

Originally posted by pianoman41

Heck, in Chicago you probably could use gloves *and* the heated wheel..... :devil:
Agree!! But you better don't put gloves in glove compartment 'cuz the gloves usually get so cold as well.

Well.... I usually warm up my car for few minutes before start moving. Winter will takes longer time.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:32 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by JPritch
You have to warm the car up and get the oil flowing regardless of the weather! I usually start it up, let it idle for 30 seconds, drop it into gear(say reverse) and let it sit in gear for about 5-10 seconds, then go.

The longer your car sits, the greater the need to warm it up since most of the oil has dripped into the oil pan. No need to go more than a minute or two. Anything greater and you're being wasteful.

I have a friend who insists on letting that sucker sit and warm up for at least 10 minutes....DUDE YOU'RE WASTING GAS!!!!

Same here. The most important thing is to get the oil circulating. Other than that you're wasting gas.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:43 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
30 secs, then drive off. Excessive idling can lead to increased dilution of the oil from unburned fuel. It also produces more pollution. The fastest way to heat the car is to turn on the defroster (and hence the A/C) - it will warm the air going into the radiator, heat the coolant faster, heat the transmission fluid, etc.