any1 use a tom tom one in their actright?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007 | 03:01 PM
Racer

any1 use a tom tom one in their actright?

considering this unit because of price, i wanted to get in in dash unit wanted to hear some reviews from the members of this forum every1 seems to be a techie in some way if they roll around in a TL!!
Old 09-17-2007 | 03:09 PM
Racer

adding to the thread

questions:

1. how do you like it

2. does it make you feel bootleg because its all plastered on your window

3. do you ever decide just to not mount it because it has all kinds of wires popping out from everywhere like if you had a radioshack on your dashboard

4. how is the refresh rate on calculating new directions (on the go)

5. would you reccomend it to a fellow TLer!!
Old 09-17-2007 | 03:15 PM
T-Swzy

actright = acura? had me confused for a long time.
personally, imma shoot for a in dash, little bit more, but a whole lot classier, more functional, dvd and all that good stuff. and it's less likely to get stolen if my windows are tinted, cause thieves cant see it. whereas the tom tom just sits on your windshield and is obvious to everything
Old 09-17-2007 | 03:37 PM
B A N N E D

AMGala has an after market nav not sure if its a tom tom
Old 09-18-2007 | 12:22 AM
00 TL

i use a garman c340 and its pretty acurate but the voice system is way too slow (when telling me turn right, left...) and the guys in circuit city told me that garman is more accurate than tom tom in terms of positioning.
but this was like a yr ago and im sure technology is going crazy now haha
Old 09-18-2007 | 12:39 AM
Pimpin' Student

I have indash nav from acura and I also have garmin nuvi 350. I've tried tom tom, mio, megallan, navman. They are a little difficult to understand how the function and it's very difficult to change the route or look at the info of the destination (because you have to press so many button in order to see it). On the other hand, garmin is very simple (and I've used 3 of them now before I got an factory nav car) and easy to follow, plus the dispay is very clear and easy to understanding and of course highly accurate.

hope this helps
Old 09-18-2007 | 09:42 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

I've got a Tom Tom Go700. It's pretty good, it's about 95% accurate in my experience. It lacks the text-to-speech feature, just like the Tom Tom One does, but I don't really mind.
Old 09-18-2007 | 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

yo, just bought a tomtom One on ebay like 2 weeks, ago cuz im not tryin to spend shitloads.... its awesome everything is so easy to use all touchscreen, its not in the way at all the only wire is the wire for the car charger, would definitely recommend it man
Old 09-18-2007 | 12:44 PM
Prick of the month

I have an in-dash and I love it, but I bought it for the extra functionality(backup cam, DVD player, iPod, etc.). I borrowed someone's Tom Tom over the weekend because I was in someone else's car and I thought it worked pretty well. It was easy to use, calculated the route pretty quickly and it uses a memory card so it's easy to update. I set it in the sunglass holder by the rearview mirror because I didn't have the holder for it, so it doesn't have to be stuck to your window. I thought it was pretty cool that you can get celebrity voices for it, John Cleese was giving me directions! I'm sure you can hardwire it so you don't have the cord hanging down.

Overall, I thought the Tom Tom was cool and worked very well, good functionality. I still prefer an in-dash unit though, they just do so much more, but portability is nice.
Old 09-18-2007 | 03:17 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

i love my garmin. its so easy to use and i get em real cheap.
Old 09-18-2007 | 03:31 PM
Vroom

i got a Magellen 360...
it's ok... mix of touchscreen and buttons
gets directions in about 5 seconds..
asks to reroute if you get off the route...

my dad hates it because it doesn't know the BEST way to some place... like when we went to the meet 3 hours late... we regretted not using the mapquest directions... w/e
Old 09-18-2007 | 03:57 PM
Instructor

Bought a Garmin 360 about 1 month ago. Asked the salesman which do you sell more of , Garmin or Tom Tom . He said Garmin. Bought the 360 because it gives the street name you are to turn on. I find it good . Boots up fast . Easy to use. Voice is loud and clear . Directions are easy to follow. Lots of points of interest. One thing I noted , It may say ," Turn left at ABC Street ." But , ABC Street may have a no left turn at this particular intersection . So be careful of things like that. Am happy with this unit. Now, have it mounted on windshield , lower corner drivers side. I find this a good spot . It is low enough so that it does not obstruct your vision , and it is just off line of sight so at just a glance you can look at it as apose to looking down on the dash . I like that. Cord is a bit bothersome . I have noticed. Have cord loosely draped behind the steering wheel coming down to the 12v adapter in front of the shifter. Not fussy about this but what the heck. BUT , these things are becoming hot as hell to thieves. I find every time I park the car at a mall or someything I disconnect the unit from the windshield clip ( not hard to do thank God ) and put it in the glove box. Leaving this thing on the windshield is like putting $ 500.00 in cash on your dash board , and a big flashing sign. Do not leave your GPS IN PLAIN VIEW , IT WILL BE STOLEN. Taking the unit off the clip will become a pain in the a** . , I am sure . But, what ya gonna do. Not sorry I bought but my next car will come with NAV in it.
Old 09-19-2007 | 05:29 AM
new wheels = old school

i have the Garmin 350 and love it. i installed it the cheap way, but effective mind you.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=navi

when i park, i just take it off, shut the cd tray holder and put the navi in the glove compartment so there's no evidence i even have one from a mount or anything.
Old 09-19-2007 | 06:51 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

I have Garmin Nuvi in mine, love it since its portable i can take it off when it needs to be used in other cars and when i dont need it myself.
Old 10-25-2007 | 11:10 PM
Advanced

save $$ and buy a tom tom one...or any tom tom

three reasons
1. its gonna save you $$
2. you can use the same unit for 2-3 cars (which i do)
3. its the modded portable nav out there.
Old 10-25-2007 | 11:52 PM
2003 TL-S A-SPEC

heres mine. Shes ~4 years old and works like a champ.
Garmin iQue 3600. (didn't buy the OEM holder, this is an Ebay POS)
I would like to do a double din navi, but i dont have +1000$ lying around.