Another WRX! Come on!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another WRX! Come on!!

I posted the first run in with the new WRX yesterday. Well tonight I was coming home and this silver WRX is in the left lane slowing down quickly and the speed limit is like 45 so I'm like lets see what happens this time. I pulled up next to him from behind and floored it, i notice when I floored it that he rolled his eyes, like he was playing around with a ricer!!:p So we rolled around the turn and this long stretch of road was infront of us begging us to light it up, so here we go, we started out around 25 mph so I knew i had to drop into 1st, so I laid into it and it dropped and we were off. we were side byside for about 1 second then i started pulling away, got around to 90 then shut it off, again he kept up with me but, I had him by a car and a half. we never got to start from a dead stop, glad we didnt!! but added some respect tonigth to our luxury sedans I might add!! so we went at it a couple more times but he could never get ahead from a rolling start. I was fine with that. Kill number 2 with the WRX!!
Old 04-15-2002, 09:28 PM
JD7
Rizzie's the color!

Great job man! Chalk another one up!!
Old 04-16-2002, 09:40 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good kill! Make those WRX owners wished that they should have gotten an Acura!
Old 04-16-2002, 10:37 AM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
On the highway, the TL-S can take out a WRX. Me and one of my good friends (who has a WRX) mess around once in a while. From a 50 MPH gun, I can beat him all the time. But off the line, that's a different story. With the right launch though, he leaves me peeling out, while he is out
Old 04-16-2002, 03:06 PM
Burning Brakes

I wonder how a modded WRX would do. For not a lot of money (for intake, exhaust, boost controller, fuel timing controller), you can easily get over 300hp and for a little more (intercooler, new turbo) get it up to 350hp. If I had the money and garage space, I'd love to get one of those to play around with.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For $25,000, what a great car. And those launches from a stand
still are just awesome. Good race.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:39 PM
Racer

I was at my local speed shop the other day and the owner told me about a WRX that ran a 12.92 in the 1/4 with $1800 worth of mods! Wow!! I wonder what the US version "Evo VIII" will do when it gets here in about a year...
Old 04-16-2002, 09:29 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by TLinBama
I was at my local speed shop the other day and the owner told me about a WRX that ran a 12.92 in the 1/4 with $1800 worth of mods! Wow!! I wonder what the US version "Evo VIII" will do when it gets here in about a year...
You mean the Mitsu Lancer Evo right? Also, I think the next Evo is the VII, but correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, when the Evo does arrive here, it will have almost exactly 250 hp, it makes more hp in Japan because Mitsu had to repackage and replace the Intercooler for the American market, although I forgot if it was because of emissions or crash tests.

Subaru will bring the WRX STi to the US not long after the Evo arrives though, now THAT should be one bad-azz mufuka.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:23 PM

Maybe it was an Impreza 2.5.

My races vs a WRX, from a start I won by 3/4s of a car length. Fr
In another race, I could not catch up (though we were in the twisties, then a straightaway)...

The WRX is an extremely fast car....
Old 04-16-2002, 11:45 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Maybe it was an Impreza 2.5.

My races vs a WRX, from a start I won by 3/4s of a car length. Fr
In another race, I could not catch up (though we were in the twisties, then a straightaway)...

The WRX is an extremely fast car....
I think the WRX must not have had that good of a driver behind the wheel. Also, was it an auto or stick WRX?

To the guy who raced the WRX, do you have any mods on your car?
Old 04-17-2002, 01:47 AM
Instructor

Chances are the WRX didnt have a turbo, but if if did, MAN WHAT A FU**** KILL!!!. I have had the luxury of riding in a WRX turbo and from what i have seen, it would have killed my TLS. Those things run mid 5's with the turbo, so the guy that was driving was either a moron, or didnt splurge for the turbo. Trust me, with approx 13lbs of boost, a WRX would absolutely destroy our cars. My friend recently did the stage 3 turbo upgrade (whatever that means) but before he decided to upgrade, the car was still fast as hell. Watch out for the WRX, i have yet to race one(and i probably wont, since i know i will most definately loose )
Old 04-17-2002, 10:48 AM
Advanced

Re: Another WRX! Come on!!

Originally posted by CL2TLS
...we started out around 25 mph so I knew i had to drop into 1st, so I laid into it and it dropped and we were off. ...
I would like to know how you dropped it into 1st when our SS tranny does not allow selection into 1st?? It only allows selection down to 2nd from a higher gear. It does not even allow going into 2nd from 1st. Just curious.. Are you doing it manually without using the SS function?
Old 04-17-2002, 11:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Re: Another WRX! Come on!!

Originally posted by Hangman

I would like to know how you dropped it into 1st when our SS tranny does not allow selection into 1st?? It only allows selection down to 2nd from a higher gear. It does not even allow going into 2nd from 1st. Just curious.. Are you doing it manually without using the SS function?
He said he laid on it and it dropped. My guess would be that the
car shifted into 1st on it's own.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:47 AM
Racer

Lucky Devin, from what I read in the latest Motor Trend, they're calling the US version of the Mitsu Lancer the Evo VIII. Also, the reason they moved the intercooler was for crash tests. If I'm not mistaken, a car has to withstand a 5 mph "bump" and not cost major $$$ to fix or something like that. Anyway, they tested a Euro spec Evo VII and got a 0-60 time of 4.3 seconds, 600ft slalom mph of 70.9, and 60-0 braking of 113 ft!! Those are all supercar numbers for about $35k. :wow:
Old 04-17-2002, 02:13 PM
Instructor

1sicklex -- it was a 2.0 WRX turbo, and he had a manual, I talked to him before we went at it!

Lucky Devin-- my car is bone stock, its lowered but doesnt help performance. so?

Hangman-- when i said that i dropped it into 1st i ment, thant when i floored it the car automatically dropped. come one, it would be alot cooler if we could do it manually, well we can but you have to use the stick and put it manually down in the shift gate.

Closer--- stole my words out my mouth:yack:

Co-TLS-- I myself was surprized at the out come of the race, the WRX will kill us off the line but they loose alot of power in the higher mph, its only a 4 cylinder,!!!!
Old 04-17-2002, 08:22 PM

Well I ain't gonna lie, the TL-S is no ***** either between 20-80...
Old 04-17-2002, 11:56 PM
Instructor

I can believe his story.

Everyday on the way to work at one specific intersection I always get in either of the left two lanes at the stoplight to beat the car that is in the far right. The right lane is an exit only lane to the Interstate I need to be on. So far I have never had a car in the right lane keep me from getting in front. I've had a few challenges though.

One day I saw a WRX sitting there when I approached, and immediately I thought no way will I make it. The light turned green. My car was in D1. We both took off normally. As soon as I saw he wasn't going to go for it, I floored the car when my tach just hit 4000rpm. The second I did I heard that turbo spin up, and he was off. The front of his car was a few feet in front of mine when I gunned it. My rear was at his door when I heard his turbo kick in. I redlined 1st, 2nd, and was in 3rd doing around 70 before I hit the ramp. The WRX stayed pretty close, but I went from 0ft ahead to about 4-6ft by the time I hit my merge ramp.

My car is stock except for K&N drop-in, Toyo T1-S 225x45.

When I was on the merge ramp my tires were skidding all the way through the curb. That WRX was on my bumper the whole ramp. As soon as I hit the Interstate I got on it. He was right there behind me. He switched lanes to try and pass, but he never gained any of the 6ft back. I took it to about 105 before I shut it down.

I don't know if he was a manual or not, but definitely a turbo. I didn't stop to ask.
Old 04-18-2002, 04:13 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by 2k2SilverTL-S
On the highway, the TL-S can take out a WRX. Me and one of my good friends (who has a WRX) mess around once in a while. From a 50 MPH gun, I can beat him all the time. But off the line, that's a different story. With the right launch though, he leaves me peeling out, while he is out
You two mess around? That's disgusting.

It also depends on how good of a driver he is. I would think that a well-driven WRX can take out a well-driven TL Type-S. Even with equal money spent on mods, the WRX will definitely beat the TL Type-S. But what would I rather be driving? TL Type-S

BTW, 2k2SilverTL-S, I sold the Prelude.
-Brian.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:55 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
WRX? really...

I mean TL-S is fast, but the WRX 5spd with good driver... TL-S stands no chance IMHO, Now just add some boost to that engine... you WILL get killed...

The Evo VII will make it here, but they had some problems with previous Evo in Australia, where the octane is too low in the gas or something so they had to detune the car.

250HP for the US spec evo? hum... I am sure with some mods, that things can go crazy...

The WRX STi should be hella fast, and because it's a Flat 4 that sits lower, the intercooler is on top of the engine I believe. So, I think it should be fine with crash testing, just matter of emission...
Old 04-21-2002, 09:02 AM
Advanced

i owned a Mitsu Evo VI when i lived in Europe, i dont think there is much on american roads to beat it..
Before i got my TLS i put a deposit on the Evo VII but after delay and delay i decided to get the tls. i dont like the look of the new subaru, i hate the lights.
Well i still have the deposit on the Evo VII (which might be called EVO VII) it should be here by jan 2003. it should have 250hp but with a few mods and an ecu from japan it will be over 300hp.
Believe me there is no tls that can keep up with this beast at any speed, i dont care what mods you have.
but we do have luxury on it but who cares about luxury when you can do 0-60 in low 5s....

FiddlyD
Old 04-21-2002, 09:47 AM
Grand Turismo

WRX

Wrx's still look like **** and all they are is speed.
Old 04-21-2002, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Some guys on a WRX board say they've raced a few TLSs and that it was damn close. Off the line, they got the jump but the TLS pretty much caught up and stayed with them.