Another Rotor/Brake thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009 | 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Another Rotor/Brake thread

I know my rotors are warped and they have already been resurfaced by the dealership. At my last scheduled visit they mentioned they were warped again (something i already knew) and suggested a $150 resurfacing to which I politely said no. With another resurfacing, that $150 is just a temporary fix to a problem that will likely recur. So i wanted to get new rotors and saw these on tirerack:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=P

I just wanted to know what brake pads you guys would recommend to go with these rotors. I looked at rotors during searches but got too many varying opinions with regards to brake pads. What do you guys think?

also, since i'm really busy, I don't have time to get these done myself so will probably just take em to midas (they did some work for me in the past for a decent price and I was satisfied with the work) - any ideas of typical cost for changing of all 4?
Old 10-26-2009 | 04:01 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

$71 each. not bad.

i went with the Racingbrake one piece slotted rotors since i've heard such good things about them.

with the pads. you can get the EBC green pads. fsttyms1 has them and i am about to get them soon to replace the red pads i have..
other members here have them to and have had good results.
Old 10-26-2009 | 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Brake pads from the tire rack, the Hawks, akebono and satisfied are great pads.

Other wise check out our vendors, they have great rotors and pads. (racingbrake or rotora and Green stuff pads)
Old 10-26-2009 | 04:07 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

^

i've heard hawks get lots of brake dusts.. hmm..
Old 10-26-2009 | 04:30 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Eternal TL2k3
I know my rotors are warped and they have already been resurfaced by the dealership. At my last scheduled visit they mentioned they were warped again (something i already knew) and suggested a $150 resurfacing to which I politely said no. With another resurfacing, that $150 is just a temporary fix to a problem that will likely recur. So i wanted to get new rotors and saw these on tirerack:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=P

I just wanted to know what brake pads you guys would recommend to go with these rotors. I looked at rotors during searches but got too many varying opinions with regards to brake pads. What do you guys think?

also, since i'm really busy, I don't have time to get these done myself so will probably just take em to midas (they did some work for me in the past for a decent price and I was satisfied with the work) - any ideas of typical cost for changing of all 4?
you can only really get a one machining out of a set of rotors especially warped ones so good choice on going for new rotors
before i looked at the link i was going to say brembo rotors, so GO WITH BREMBO ROTORS
as far as pads go, i would say go with Akebono, basically the dust does not show on the wheels so they hardly need cleaning unlike the previos EBC's
that is the setup i have on my car on the front right now and i am going with the same setup in the rear when the rotors come in from cali, but anyways i am very happy with the setup of brembo's and akebono's and have not squeled once or anything

also about miadas GO TO A BETTER SHOP THAN THAT

also BRAKES are a safty item so DON'T CHEAP OUT, would you want your wife/spouse/partner with your family in the car too and have them crap out on them, cause brakes need to work every time you push the pedal
Old 10-26-2009 | 04:38 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

interesting, never had my EBC pads produce a lots of brake dust..
Old 10-26-2009 | 04:49 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by jjashaa
interesting, never had my EBC pads produce a lots of brake dust..
green ebc pads
and it also had(front)/has(rear, not for long though) slotted rotors(i think ebc too or something[bought car with them]) so it might also be dust from the rotors, the rotors wore like the rotors you see on european cars(mainly german), one set of pads and the rotors are toast(has a nice lip around the edge)
Old 10-26-2009 | 04:51 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

eeerrr..

maybe it was the rotors.. haha
Old 10-26-2009 | 04:53 PM
B A N N E D

eeerrr..

maybe it was the rotors.. haha
mainly why i am going to brembo rotors so they last longer and can be machined at least once
Old 10-26-2009 | 05:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Guys, I am on Brembo blanks and akebano pads. What can I say, its hard to say if its better than OEM rotors, probably same, but you will save some money. You can get OEM rotors for $200 including shipping, so it will only cost you $40 more than brembo blanks from tirerack. Anyway, my brembo blanks warped once, and then again.... same story as OEM, I can't really say if they are better or worse. Akebano pads are nice and and have soft bite, but some people dont like it.

I won't be going back to brembo blanks, I am going to get OEM rotors. The reason is simple, brembo blanks rust way more in the center than OEM.

Here is a place to buy OEM rotors and save some money:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...Q5fAccessories

Its actual Acura dealer, I bought from them before, they are legit.

Last edited by russianDude; 10-26-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-26-2009 | 05:59 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

i'd do the legend caliper swap over anything for rotor warping fixes.
Old 10-26-2009 | 06:03 PM
It's the Halladay season!

^ Our calipers aren't causing the problem though...
Old 10-26-2009 | 06:07 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
^ Our calipers aren't causing the problem though...
i think if you pair that one piston caliper(stock) with weak oem rotors...

you're bound to get them warped..

and since russianDude still got his brembo blanks warped.. i'm just saying its the caliper...

idk..

i love my 2 piston ones..
Old 10-26-2009 | 06:08 PM
Suzuka Master

i'd do the legend caliper swap over anything for rotor warping fixes.
how much does it cost, I cant do it myself, so I would have to pay for it. my car is old, this does not seem reasonable.
Old 10-26-2009 | 06:10 PM
Team Owner

the legend calipers wont cure warped rotors- sorry

RacingBrake makes its own pads that match the rotors- work really well, better than other pads on RB rotors
Im at 20k miles and still 5mm pad left,,min 2mm

Napa has good basic rotors and pads

Look in the phone book -automobile repairing and service- for a small ad with honda or acura as part of what they do
Make a few calls and ask what parts they use,,shops have access to more stuff than you do and the most recent tech info on products

never let midas work on your car- the main corp office expects them to upsell every job at extreme prices,,,suddenly you need calipers and master cyl for that shake!
Old 10-26-2009 | 06:11 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

boooo..

oh well, atleast i have them.
Old 10-26-2009 | 06:18 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by russianDude
I won't be going back to brembo blanks, I am going to get OEM rotors. The reason is simple, brembo blanks rust way more in the center than OEM.
where i live (colorado) i don't get the rust like you do most days are only like 20-30% humidity and they basically don't use any salt on the roads
bolts still come out with no problem like 15 years later

also i am still on stock type-s wheels proably will for a while so if they do rust it you proably won't even be able to see it
Old 10-26-2009 | 06:20 PM
B A N N E D

i think if you pair that one piston caliper(stock) with weak oem rotors...

you're bound to get them warped..

and since russianDude still got his brembo blanks warped.. i'm just saying its the caliper...

idk..

i love my 2 piston ones..
also cheap pads cause rotors to warp easier too
Old 10-26-2009 | 08:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by friesm2000
also cheap pads cause rotors to warp easier too
Akebano cheap? Don't think so... And some expensive performance pad are hard on a rotors, so price is not always an issue.

BTW, when my brembo rotors warped first time, my mechanic resurfaced them, and Akebano's only had like 10% wear, and were in perfect shape, smooth and nice, he told me it would be a waste to put new pads, so he put back the same pads. I am glad I listened to him, because approximately in the same time frame (10,000) miles they warped again. I bet pads are still 50% or more. I am not going to resurface them second time, I am getting OEM rotors and OEM pads. Akebono pads indeed have long life as advertised, the only problem you need to change rotors like 3 times

Last edited by russianDude; 10-26-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-26-2009 | 09:07 PM
B A N N E D

Akebano cheap? Don't think so... And some expensive performance pad are hard on a rotors, so price is not always an issue.

BTW, when my brembo rotors warped first time, my mechanic resurfaced them, and Akebano's only had like 10% wear, and were in perfect shape, smooth and nice, he told me it would be a waste to put new pads, so he put back the same pads. I am glad I listened to him, because approximately in the same time frame (10,000) miles they warped again. I bet pads are still 50% or more. I am not going to resurface them second time, I am getting OEM rotors and OEM pads. Akebono pads indeed have long life as advertised, the only problem you need to change rotors like 3 times
was thinking you had different pads on there for some reason

but you must be hard on brakes or something if you are warping them every 10K
Old 10-26-2009 | 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

was thinking you had different pads on there for some reason

but you must be hard on brakes or something if you are warping them every 10K
Not hard at all, but I admit I am now 70% city driving, in the past when it was more highway OEM held up good for 15K. Like someone said brakes sucks on this car, does not matter what you do

Last edited by russianDude; 10-26-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2009 | 09:51 PM
B A N N E D

Not hard at all, but I admit I am now 70% city driving, in the past when it was more highway OEM held up good for 15K. Like someone said brakes sucks on this car, does not matter what you do
city is alot hardly on brakes cause they never get a chance to cool down and never get enough air flow over them from getting up to speed
and you want to see shitty brakes try the 1st gen (2000-2004) toyota tundra they don't take ANY ABUSE ESPECIALLY IF loaded/ towing and especially if you are driving in the mountions so no complaining
Old 10-26-2009 | 09:58 PM
Traded in my

I don't really get why you would go back to OEM unless it's just for cheaper price..they'll just warp again. I'd say put some $$ down for some Rotoras, RB or EBC rotors and get pads from same manufacturer. Yea more expensive but prob won't warp as easily as the OEM which will undoubtedly warp again.
Old 10-26-2009 | 10:03 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by '02_TL-S
I don't really get why you would go back to OEM unless it's just for cheaper price..they'll just warp again. I'd say put some $$ down for some Rotoras, RB or EBC rotors and get pads from same manufacturer. Yea more expensive but prob won't warp as easily as the OEM which will undoubtedly warp again.
very true except oem being cheaper then aftermarket (not including bbk, those are a different story) aftermarket be cheaper
Old 10-26-2009 | 10:16 PM
Traded in my

Cheaper > More Durable + Longer Lasting + Better Braking????????? Not my opinion but some think so...
I'll cough up the money instead..its prob been said a million time but brakes are no place to go cheap.
Old 10-26-2009 | 10:24 PM
Drifting

Using EBC blanks and EBC oem type replacement pads. Work great, very reasonably priced from a Azine vendor. Only issue is some dust. Oem discs warped twice in a short time.
Old 10-26-2009 | 10:46 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by '02_TL-S
Cheaper > More Durable + Longer Lasting + Better Braking????????? Not my opinion but some think so...
I'll cough up the money instead..its prob been said a million time but brakes are no place to go cheap.

but you are also paying for the acura name and better pad material/designs have come out in the aftermarket though since the car first came out
Old 10-27-2009 | 12:24 AM
Traded in my

^ Haha!! What?! I'm saying aftermarket is better..not OEM..at least not in the case of rotors for our TL. Great emoticons tho..
Old 10-27-2009 | 02:00 AM
Pro

All I have to say is, "stay away from ebay!" I bought a set of slotted rotors + generic pads combo from ebay and they warped on me within half a year.

My next big mod im planning to Redo my whole brake system. RB rotors and pads, legend calipers, and SS brake lines.
Old 10-27-2009 | 05:50 AM
Suzuka Master

very true except oem being cheaper then aftermarket (not including bbk, those are a different story) aftermarket be cheaper
Yeah, and you can't resurface slotted rotors, so it becomes really expensive.
Old 10-27-2009 | 12:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

well now that sucks... i was under the impression that it was the original parts that were causing the warping and now it looks like no matter what I get, the warping will most likely return.
Old 10-27-2009 | 01:05 PM
Suzuka Master

well now that sucks... i was under the impression that it was the original parts that were causing the warping and now it looks like no matter what I get, the warping will most likely return.
Honda actualy made a revision to OEM pads, there is a new part number, supposed to reduce warping, but people say it does not help. Slotted rotors might make it last a little longer, but you are paying premium and many places won't resurface them, so it becomes expensive without obvious gains. From my expirience brembo blanks are equivalent to OEM
Old 10-28-2009 | 12:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

damn russiandude - you're killin me. my hopes and dreams (well, when it comes to non-warping acura rotors). I wonder how common this is to other cars.
Old 10-28-2009 | 06:16 AM
Suzuka Master

damn russiandude - you're killin me. my hopes and dreams (well, when it comes to non-warping acura rotors). I wonder how common this is to other cars.
Try it for yourself, brembo blanks and alebano should cost you less than OEM set, they should last same or better, so its no loss deal. Maybe you will have better luck than me
Old 10-29-2009 | 09:46 AM
Advanced

I am sorry, but I am yet another one to confirm this. I have the same setup, "Brembo" disks or may be something that came in the box with Brambo name on it and ProAct Akebono pads.
"Brembo" rotors in my experience are worse then stock (not by much), since stock rotors lasted me about 30K miles.
Pads are in line with stock, stock pads lasted me 50K miles for the front and less then that on the rear (it could be strange but it is true even though you would expect the oposite). So I had to change the rears first.
But, the good side is that rotors and pads are relatively cheap and easy to replace (I do it myself). I paid less then $100 for Akebono pads for all 4 wheels. Rotors, may be 2 yrs ago I paid $60 a piece for the front that are an issue. The rear rotors are fine, you do not need to replace them, there is no point.
All in all, I doubt that there is a solution to this, brakes on this car are not the best for sure.
Old 10-29-2009 | 11:09 AM
Suzuka Master

You can get OEM disks for 200 shipped. Compared to $160 for brembo blanks shipped from tire rack, so $40 difference, not a big deal. OEM pads less than 50 buks shipped
Old 10-29-2009 | 01:54 PM
2000 acura tl FPR

i have rotora drilled/slotted rotors with akebono ceramic pads, i LOVE these brakes. not only can i stop on a dime, my tire picks it up. i think i've got about 30k on the setup and still no real signs of wear, no brake dust either.
Old 10-29-2009 | 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, and you can't resurface slotted rotors, so it becomes really expensive.
Actually you can. But you shouldnt have to resurface the rotors. I put on Rotora rotors right after my 6 speed swap. I now have a little over 100k on them. Still brake as smooth as the day i bought them. I am running EBC Green Stuff pads. I have done a few lapping days with them and have gone thru 1 full set of fronts and am 3/4 the way thru the 2nd set. (around 55k miles each) They produce about the same amount of dust that the OEM pads did.

Dont cheap out, you will spend more money in the long run with cheap than you will with high quality. Go very very easy on them for the first 500 miles, then bed them in.
Old 10-29-2009 | 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

You can get OEM disks for 200 shipped. Compared to $160 for brembo blanks shipped from tire rack, so $40 difference, not a big deal. OEM pads less than 50 buks shipped
But OEM is garbage.
Old 10-29-2009 | 06:06 PM
B A N N E D

Wooohooo, just noticed you were over 50,000 posts fsttyms1

Quick Reply: Another Rotor/Brake thread