Another 2nd Gen Tranny Bites the Big One.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 08:01 PM
'02blAcuRAT!! soooCool!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another 2nd Gen Tranny Bites the Big One.

Well, I am now an Official Member of the Tranny Failure Club at 80,500 miles.

After a 1000 mile round trip last week the tranny started lurching more than usual at steady speed....it also started to kind of buck 3 or 4 times on the 1-2 up shift, a bit less on the 2-3 up shift.
Was planning another trip this weekend and took a shot running the whip over to Fountain Acura here in Orlando this morning to get checked out. Knew they would be busy with the Holiday weekend upon us. Played it up, told him it was slipping badly. The tech slid me in to check it out, (they had 100+ cars scheduled for service today), said the 1-hour diagnostic would be free if the tranny internals are bad and if so, it would take until Thursday of Friday of next week to get done. Played dumb and asked if the whip will take another 1000 mile trip and he said not with the way I described the symptoms. So I asked if a loaner car was available....he had one left.
An hour later he came out and asked if I'm sure it was the tranny. "Positive", I told him. He said, "well, it's the tranny....sign here for the 2006 graphite TSX with 800 miles on it, don't worry about the mileage, just bring it back with a half a tank of gas.
Well, glad Acura is making the experience as painless as possible. Pissed the car needs the tranny, but better now than over the 100k mile mark. Havn't read of any recient failures on the newer rebuilt units. Will update next week on the performance differences with the new tranny.
The only thing is, after drooling over the '06 tl's in the showroom for an hour they could have given me one of those for the week.

Keep the shinny side up
Old 05-28-2006, 12:31 PM
02 WDP type-S Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 into third was my problem when my tranny went out, it did buck the first time I drove it outta the dealer lot after the tranny install but then it went away so I couldn't go back and say WTF......They gave me the TSX loaner for a day when I told em the steering wheel was shaking at high speeds after the tranny replacement. I could barerly stand to drive it for that one day, the motor is so loud it sounds like an accord with dual exhaust I guess I lucked out when they gave me the 06 TL when I changed out my tranny....make a quick reservation next time so u can request a TL for a loaner