annoying buzz sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 12:40 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question annoying buzz sound

Just wondering if anybody else has the same problem: I always hear this annoying "buzz" sound coming from the engine everytime I start my car and shift it in drive while the car is in it's first initial movement. I brought that up to the dealer and he claims that it's just the anti-lock brakes building up pressure. I have a friend with a TL-P and he never hears this noise. Could it be because our TL-S has 4 channel anti-lock breaks as opposed to the TL-P's 2? It only happens after I shut the car off and restart it at a later time. Should I be concerned? Btw, it used to only buzz once, but recently, it's starting to buzz twice.

axleback
Old 04-08-2002, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: annoying buzz sound

Originally posted by axleback
Just wondering if anybody else has the same problem: I always hear this annoying "buzz" sound coming from the engine everytime I start my car and shift it in drive while the car is in it's first initial movement. I brought that up to the dealer and he claims that it's just the anti-lock brakes building up pressure. I have a friend with a TL-P and he never hears this noise. Could it be because our TL-S has 4 channel anti-lock breaks as opposed to the TL-P's 2? It only happens after I shut the car off and restart it at a later time. Should I be concerned? Btw, it used to only buzz once, but recently, it's starting to buzz twice.

axleback
That is normal, your dealer is right.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Yep, that's the anti-locking brakes making that noise. My car does it all the time... my CL used to do it too. Mine buzzes twice occassionally, but 98% of the time it's once.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:51 PM
Pro

okie dokie. I guess I'm just being picky then. Even my brother's 2001 Civic doesn't make that noise. So, does that mean my friend's TL-P anti-lock brakes aren't functioning properly since his doesn't make the buzz sound?

axleback
Old 04-08-2002, 12:57 PM
Advanced

check your manual

I will have to check to be sure, but I am pretty sure it says in the manual that the ABS checks itself once at like 5mph and again at like 20mph. You may not notice the second buzz if you already have cranked up the stereo or are speeding out of your space, like i do.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:00 PM
Racer

2 buzzes are normal

Old 04-08-2002, 01:01 PM
Banned

The TL-S should buzz twice, and all the time. You may not always hear it because of other noises (loud radio, windows down, etc), but it does do it.

The first buzz you hear is when you first put the car in motion in either direction, usually under 5 mph and almost right away. This is your ABS self-test as the dealer stated. Completely normal and all cars with ABS do it--just some are louder than others.

The second buzz you hear is when you are in drive and reach approx 15 mph (or thereabouts). Usually it will happen within the first few seconds of driving. Engine RPMs and tire noise can also drown out this buzz but it is there. This is also the ABS doing a self-test but this time it is because the VSA is doing a self-test. Because VSA uses the ABS system to control wheelspin and correct oversteer/understeer, part of its self-test is to test the ABS sytem independant of the original test. Hence, two ABS tests. Again, completely normal.

I don't know if the TCS system does the same kind of test but I imagine it would since TCS also uses ABS to get its job done. Therefore, the TL-Ps may only have the one buzz (test).
Old 04-09-2002, 07:36 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
buzzing sound found

Guys--I have the answer, it is a large bees nest in the trunk....do not open the trunk!
Old 07-25-2002, 07:57 PM
4th Gear

ABS Accumulator buzz

I was also told by the dealer it was normal in my '96 3.2TL. But if it's annoying enough for people to have to inquire, it shouldn't be called 'normal'. It's so noticeable, people are always asking me, "What's that sound?" when they're in my car. I'm sick of explaining.

Seems like from the posts of current model TL and CL owners, they haven't corrected the buzz. Regarding it being normal on ABS cars, it's not! People don't ask about buzzing noises in my wife's LexGS. ABS systems may do 'self-checks' but they do it discreetly, they don't announce it to everyone within ear-shot. I sure don't care to know when my car's checking itself. Does the ECU announce "SELF CHECK!" every time it checks the fuel mixture?
Old 07-26-2002, 02:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't know if anyone else notices this. But my car buzzes when the engine is OFF . Whenever I wash my car, and sometimes when I'm just in the garage, I can hear my car buzz. The buzz happens once every 20 - 30 minutes or so. It's just a low-frequency buzz. Anyone else notice this?
Old 07-28-2002, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Re: ABS Accumulator buzz

Originally posted by moocowman
I was also told by the dealer it was normal in my '96 3.2TL. But if it's annoying enough for people to have to inquire, it shouldn't be called 'normal'. It's so noticeable, people are always asking me, "What's that sound?" when they're in my car. I'm sick of explaining.

Seems like from the posts of current model TL and CL owners, they haven't corrected the buzz. Regarding it being normal on ABS cars, it's not! People don't ask about buzzing noises in my wife's LexGS. ABS systems may do 'self-checks' but they do it discreetly, they don't announce it to everyone within ear-shot. I sure don't care to know when my car's checking itself. Does the ECU announce "SELF CHECK!" every time it checks the fuel mixture?
Just wait till your tranny goes and your rotors warp. Then you'll REALLY have something to complain about!