Allentown PA repair shop,tbelt diy,trans rplcment

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:20 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allentown PA repair shop,tbelt diy,trans rplcment

My wife has an '02 TL-S that she loves, 55K miles, and I'd like to keep it for awhile..here are the issues(reverse order from title):

-Transmission:
the transmission failed and we took it to Lehigh Valley Acura (Allentown,PA area). They replaced it, no questions asked, and did it in ONE day! Great service. In response to my question on the liklihood of another failure due to design issues, the service rep said their experience is "once and done"....sure hope that's true but from what I've found on this forum, I have my doubts. She doesn't push the car and seldom uses the manual shift. Have there been any significant changes to the trans that justify optimism?

Timing belt (parts sources,diy)
When they did the car, they noted that the timing belt service was due because of the age and quoted me $975 for belts,3 tensioners,cam seals, water pump. I've done tbelts on two Porsche 928's using a detailed diy writeup and from what I can find searching, it sounds like this job is similar. I've ordered the Helms manual but wonder if there are any detailed diy's on the job. I found some info on the completed 120k service thread but is there anything more 'step by step' available, or a list of potential 'gotcha's'?

I really haven't had to do much to this car and would appreciate it if someone could give me a reliable, economical source for oem or good quality parts so I can price out the timing belt parts. Is there a PARTS PROGRAM (like the old parts microfiches but online or cd) that I can get? I found the Porsche parts program very helpful not only for part numbers but also for identifying bolt locations,etc...how things go together/come apart.

Allentown,PA area repair shop:
anyone know of a good one? If the savings doing the tbelt job myself due to parts cost isn't that high, I might just go ahead and have it done. I'm guessing that the first time doing this job may be up to 8 hrs based on doing the 928's (first one there was actually longer but did some cleanup along the way)

And one more on the cd changer:
disc one fails to eject. I can pull it out w some needle nose pliers but can I just load a 'dummy' in that location and continue to use the rest? Is there a simple fix for this? The dealer wanted $400 to work on it. I considered just replacing it w a 'double DIN' unit if I could find one but the service rep said the alarm/lock circuitry was somehow tied in...didn't make sense to me but I don't know much about the car. Any input?

I've done some searching on the forums, but didn't see answers to these questions. Any help would be appreciated,
thanks,
Jim