All Scratched Up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 10:02 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All Scratched Up!!!

So it snowed a ton here in Worcester MA the other day. My parents decided to shovel some of the snow in front of the garage that the plow guy can't get. Trying to help me out, since my car is parked outside in the driveway, my mom decides to clean the snow off my car but uses a metal shovel to clean the snow off!!! Now I have a bunch scratches about 1-2 feet long on my trunk, roof, and hood!!! Anyone know if these kind of scratches can be buffed out if I take the car to a professional or do u think it would need repainting?? The scratches are deep enough that I can feel them when I run my hand over them. I have a silver car and the scratches aren't that obvious right now since my car is covered in mud and salt. I'm sure when I clean the car off when it gets nice out in the spring those scratches are going to look really nasty.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if they are deep enough to feel with your fingernail then the paint is already gone from there and no amount of buffing will bring it back. sorry.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
If it's down past the primer it's gonna start rusting very soon. Go find yourself a good auto body shop and maybe they can lessen the appearance, but without a total repaint of the panel, you're always gonna see them.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Not to put down your mom or anything, but what was she thinking when she decided to use a metal shovel to shovel the snow off your car? It doesn't take a whole lot of brain to figure out that the metal shovel will scratch the car's paint. If that happened to my car, I would have been so pissed at my mom. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:37 PM
Instructor

Dag Inspire, ease up a little, that's his mom and he already must feel bad enough. Believe me when I tell you this, becaue I speak from direct experience, you will most assuredly need a new paint job. I did the same thing to my pontiac when I was about 19 and low-and-behold scratch city. Luckily for me a the time, MAACO was runnin' that half off special, but ain't no special goin' to give you the quality of your stock paint job. Sorry dude.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

mud, i know exactly what you mean... search this site for some post i had on scratches or go to acurainspired.com and check out my post there... i have some pictures up.

my parents did the same exact thing... it looks horrible. and i refuse to wash it right now cuz 1. snow 2. i dont wanna see how bad it really is
Old 02-20-2003, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by InspireSaber
Not to put down your mom or anything, but what was she thinking when she decided to use a metal shovel to shovel the snow off your car? It doesn't take a whole lot of brain to figure out that the metal shovel will scratch the car's paint. If that happened to my car, I would have been so pissed at my mom. Good luck.
That's what I was thinking when I read it.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, there was a post on this site about a year ago about how to use touch up paint to fill in deep scratches. It was somewaht of a long lengthy process becuse you dont just dab and your done. Obviously that would look just as bad. Instead, there were a series of steps that involved filling, buffing with a certain kind of compound to level the paint out and then repeating a few times. Depending how many scratches you have, it may not be worth the bother and a good quality repaint will be needed.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:37 AM
All Hail the Chief

Doh!!!

Man, I feel for you. If that happened to me, I'd demand that my parents purchase my car so that I could get a new one. But what can you do, older folks, especially women, see a car as a driving device and driving device only. Paint? Who cares, as long as the car works.

Kind of like the two idiots I distinctly remember during Christmas time toting around their newly purchased Christmas trees atop of 1) Black S500 2) forest green Caddy Deville. ARGHH!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2003, 02:48 PM
6th Gear

Try www.paintscratch.com
Old 02-21-2003, 04:04 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2002acuraTL
You know, there was a post on this site about a year ago about how to use touch up paint to fill in deep scratches. It was somewaht of a long lengthy process becuse you dont just dab and your done. Obviously that would look just as bad. Instead, there were a series of steps that involved filling, buffing with a certain kind of compound to level the paint out and then repeating a few times. Depending how many scratches you have, it may not be worth the bother and a good quality repaint will be needed.
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...t=professional