alignment issues with dropped car

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 05:15 AM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
alignment issues with dropped car

i'm am wearing out tires like crazy ... not sure if it might be due to installing comptech springs last year. Had acura do the alignment when i first dropped it, and took it in again a couple of months later when i noticed my front tires where going bald. Now I am seeing the tread wearing out again on the front tires after 3 months again. Both times they told me my toe was way off. I thought the spring install was straight fwd to do ... could I have done something wrong to cause the toe issue?

I know when I take it in again, i'm gonna hear "its because you modified the suspension" and when i point out they are comptech springs which they sell i'm gonna hear "well, we don't have record of installing them, did you do it yourself".

Any Ideas???
Old 10-22-2004, 08:04 AM
TLStar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's perfectly normal, u may be wearing out tires like crazy but the wheels lean out for better handling. what you need is a camber kit. not sure of which manufacturers make them for our cars, try doing a search on this site.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Desi Pride

It's your camber. A camber kit should correct the issue for you. How many miles did your tires last you?
Old 10-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Pro

its not the camber, camber is fine and in spec ... its the toe ... tires are like this / \ or / / (when looking from top not from front or rear of car)... meaning, not horizontally parallel to each other ... toe being out of spec is not normal.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Desi Pride

Originally Posted by jpadilla
its not the camber, camber is fine and in spec ... its the toe ... tires are like this / \ or / / (when looking from top not from front or rear of car)... meaning, not horizontally parallel to each other ... toe being out of spec is not normal.
If its not he camber ok. Then it might be the way you installed the springs. Whatz your tire pressure at also? Do you rotate your tires? I have the Eibach Prokit drop and that is lower than the Comptech drop. I do not have any issues and I don't have a camber kit either.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Desi Pride

Originally Posted by jpadilla
If its not the camber ok. Then it might be the way you installed the springs. Whatz your tire pressure at also? Do you rotate your tires? I have the Eibach Prokit drop and that is lower than the Comptech drop. I do not have any issues and I don't have a camber kit either.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nayyarn
It's your camber. A camber kit should correct the issue for you. How many miles did your tires last you?
I have comptechs with camber and i don't have any tire wear issue. i rotate my tires every 3k and i have my tire ppl check how the wear is and they said there is nohting wrong with them. BTW, I've had my springs for almost a year now. You should get a camber kit plus alignment... will save u money....
Old 10-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

how cna he need a camber with the comptechs?! i think there may have been a screw up with the install? my rear tires are bald but thats cus the installer forgot to tighten the rear lugs. i was pissed. neways, im in need for new tires as well. who installed the springs?! reputable person?!
Old 10-22-2004, 09:10 PM
Who Dis Is?

When you drop your car it's always safer and gives more assurance to have a camber kit. It's 200-300 bucks, but it's worth it (especially for coilovers). Did you intsall them yourself? Did you keep the shocks pressurized or did you just lay them down. I'd suggest a camber kit and check your shocks out.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tunaboy
When you drop your car it's always safer and gives more assurance to have a camber kit. It's 200-300 bucks, but it's worth it (especially for coilovers). Did you intsall them yourself? Did you keep the shocks pressurized or did you just lay them down. I'd suggest a camber kit and check your shocks out.
its an '03 with 30,000 miles ... I installed them my self, the rear tires are not wearing out, its the fronts ... anyway, i'm dropping it at acura again this week to check the alignment out, get the trans jet installed, and install heavy duty trunk torsion bars ... if the toe is off again i don't know what i'm gonna do.

honestly ... i bough this car used with 12,000 miles on it (acura certified) ... after i bought it i noticed the front license plate want bent in a few places which made me think the car was in a wreck before. I checked carfax and it came back clean ... but now i'm thinking something did happen to it which would explain why the license plate is bent and why it was turned in within a year and perhaps also explains the issue with alignment.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it is the front license plate then it might not be a big deal since people bump and nudge cars all the time and don't give a shit.