Agean Blue or Silver??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2001, 11:06 PM

Post Agean Blue or Silver??

I am trying to decide on either Silver or Agean Blue. I like the low maintenance of the Silver but the Agean Blue is beautiful. Does the dirt show on the Blue as bad as the black or green? Silver kind of blends in but the Agean Blue is very different and will not look like all the other cars on the road. Also worried about rock chips and door dings with the blue. It would seem that they would show more than with the silver. Also, I am 57 and someone said on here that the Agean Blue was for the younger folks. I guess I should act my age-nah! No fun in that. What do you think!
Old 04-29-2001, 11:22 PM

I saw a blue on the show floor and it looked very nice. If you don't mind washing the car once a week then I would go with blue. One concern I had with blue was if the color will still look that good couple years from now. I thought either I would get tired of it or color would fade a little. FYI, I own a black TL-S.
Old 04-29-2001, 11:27 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

Go with what strikes your fancy. I just saw a TL-type S Aegean Blue w/ ground effects kit, spoiler. It was great. The Satin silver is nice, but lots of them and plain IMHO! oh, and by the way, I'm also almost 50, and I think the Aegean Blue is GREAT (not just for the young ones!)

------------------
2000 3.2 TL Laguna Green
29% window tint, Clear bra, no nav
225/50/16 Aqua-Flow GTW's on OEM wheels
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/lrpba300?...l=fld3&.src=ph
Old 04-29-2001, 11:33 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just remember darker colors show scratches and swirl marks more than lighter ones. There are a lot of silver ones out there, so the Agean Blue would be more original, plus it's the first year of the color so it has that going for it too. But: Silver is very easy to keep clean. My car is 15+ months old and there are only like 3 scratches and no swirl marks or light marks anywhere on it. Silver is great if you're lazy and don't baby your car like I do.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.adamoski.com/acura.html" TARGET=_blank> </A>
Old 04-30-2001, 12:28 AM

Cool

I have Aegean Blue and I love it. BUT .....
Yes, it is more difficult to keep clean, but no more so than any other dark color.

I've been trying to wash the car once a week myself, but the water is hard in SoCal which makes it a real pain to get the water spots out. I'm going to try a couple of the local hand wash places.

I also worry about showing scratches in the finish. Does anyone know of a good product for working out light scratches in the paint finish?

I'm REAL happy with the blue color. I wouldn't have been happy with any of the other colors. I knew the blue TLS was going to be my next car as soon as I saw the LA Auto Show photos online.
Good Luck!

------------------
TLSKev
2002 3.2 TLS Aegean Blue
Old 04-30-2001, 07:49 AM
Advanced

Lightbulb

I've owned a "black currant" (dark plum) Integra for 6 months in 1996, then a silver Subaru SVX for a couple of years, and now a "Techno Violet" (dark metallic purple) for almost three years.

Let me tell you this. The SVX was always clean... Just looked like it. The other two I had to wash pretty regularly, but it's not as bad as black. Bearable. The scratchmarks are, of course, more visible on the dark colors. The SVX had a couple of big ones, and you wouldn't know!

Now, here's the biggest issue with colors like Techno Violet... or Aegian blue. They are cool, they are unique, they just look good. But, three years from now when you need to sell it, you'll regret buying a color that appeals to a very limited number of people. Also, blue will get old. It won't look unique to you any more (although it'll still look good). Trust me, on so many occasions I thought to myself: why, oh why didn't I get a yellow M3. Or silver, or white?

I know, I know. Acura is screwed up that way -- not a lot to choose from. When I was buying my Integra GSR in 96, they had the same selection for GSRs -- white, red, black, plus blackcurrant (4-door only). Regular Integra's had twice as many colors available, but high performance -- not a chance. I am sure Acura has a reason (fewer units sold, whatever), but that drives me nuts.

Well, just my 2 cents.

------------------
1998 BMW ///M3
TL-S soon, very soon
Old 04-30-2001, 08:26 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by TLSKev:
Does anyone know of a good product for working out light scratches in the paint finish?
Check out this post from the TL forum:

what's the best wax to buff my tl with?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Acura3200 on April 30, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-30-2001, 08:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Cool

This is a great topic and I would like to hear more comments from the owners of the Blue TL-S. This is the same dilemma I've been having. I love blue. My current car is blue and my previous car was blue. However this blue is a lot darker the my last two cars and I'm worried about the scratches and swirl marks. Washing it once a week doesn't bother me, but I know on my CL now I have a lot of nicks from pebbles etc, but you can barely notice them. Guess I'll have to follow this topic!!

------------------
1998 Acura CL 3.0 (Iced Blue) ** Some mods, but who cares,
I want a Type-S... (CL or TL)!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum @ www.acura-cl.com
Old 04-30-2001, 10:40 AM
Instructor

I love my Aegean Blue TL-S! Yes, you probably need to wash it once a week to make it sparkle- but isn't that half the fun? I'm not someone who craves lots of attention I just flat out think the color is sharp. EVERYONE and their mother has a silver car. Just adds a level of uniqueness that's all. Would I get bright yellow or hot pink, well that's a different story. The Aegean blue is sharp but no way outrageous or loud.

------------------
2002 TL-S Aegean blue
Old 04-30-2001, 10:44 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Acuraboy:
EVERYONE and their mother has a silver car.
Actually, my mother's car is blue
Old 04-30-2001, 10:47 AM

Not all silvers are created equally.

The metallic silver on the Acura TL-s is gives it a reaally classy look!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Raptor on April 30, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-30-2001, 01:27 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

My Mom has a gold car!

------------------
'02 TL-S Satin Silver
Old 04-30-2001, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Cool

Originally posted by Acuraboy:
I love my Aegean Blue TL-S! Yes, you probably need to wash it once a week to make it sparkle- but isn't that half the fun? I'm not someone who craves lots of attention I just flat out think the color is sharp. EVERYONE and their mother has a silver car. Just adds a level of uniqueness that's all. Would I get bright yellow or hot pink, well that's a different story. The Aegean blue is sharp but no way outrageous or loud.

Have you noticed any excesive dings or chips from rocks? I do a lot of highway driving and this is one of my main concerns....

------------------
1998 Acura CL 3.0 (Iced Blue) ** Some mods, but who cares,
I want a Type-S... (CL or TL)!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum @ www.acura-cl.com
Old 04-30-2001, 03:09 PM
MCD
Instructor

I have Aegean blue and I love it. My parking lot is a dirt & gravel lot so it looks dirty every 3 days. As long as you don't mind washing once a week, you should be fine. I already have a couple light swirl marks but I'm not upset because it's gonna happen no matter what.

I can tell you one thing - EVERYONE comments on how they like the color of my car. It feels great. I'm sure nobody would say that if you got silver. But in a few years, yeah maybe the color will be played, but who knows. I'll bet people thought the same about the champagne color on some cars when it first came out?

So if you don't mind washing once a week, and you enjoy some attention, get the blue.

Oh and get the california duster to pick up dust. It works great!

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S w/ Navi
Aegean Blue
Underbody kit
Spoiler

Former: 1997 Acura Integra GS-R (Pioneer Head Unit, CD-Changer, EQ, Boston Acoustics separates, 2 - JL 12W4s, Kicker & Pioneer Amps)
Old 04-30-2001, 03:25 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally posted by juniorbean:

Have you noticed any excesive dings or chips from rocks? I do a lot of highway driving and this is one of my main concerns....

I have seen some cars that have NEW type of deflector on the front of the hood; they are a dark tinted plastic and sweep back to follow a specific cars contour. I think that might help and would not look bad.

If you want the most coverage and protection you have to go with a bra; I think 38D oughta do it.

------------------
'02 TL-S Satin Silver
Old 04-30-2001, 04:17 PM

I have had the Aegean Blue TL-S for about 1.5 months (1,500 miles). So far no rock chips, door dings, or swirl marks. My other vehicle, a black Toyota Sienna, seemed to get swirl marks the first time it was washed. The blue does need to be washed once a week to look its best.

My former car was silver and, as others have said, I could go months without washing it. However, this is a double-edge sword. Washing a car regularly is an important part of the exterior maintenance. So, the darker color is "forcing" me to get off my butt and stick with a proper maintenance schedule.

Screw the thought that the Aegean Blue is for young folks...I'm 37. IMO, you won't be disappointed with the Aegean Blue.
Old 04-30-2001, 04:21 PM

Wink

On second thought, Comp-Time, if you get the Aegean Blue there will be two A.B. TL-S's on the Sammamish Plateau. I want to be the only one. Go for the silver...you'll never have to wash it and you're too old for the blue.
Old 04-30-2001, 04:52 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by juniorbean:

I have over 2K miles and I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary as far as paint chips, etc. Unfortunately, those door dings, paint chips, and other blemishes will come in due time. There's a finite amount of time that I will be willing to park in the far corners of parking lots! Oh well...

------------------
2002 TL-S Aegean blue
Old 05-02-2001, 12:04 AM

OK Phatboy, now you really made it hard to choose. You know that there is a silver TL Type S up here also. So I can't please everyone. I have decided on the blue. The car isn't in yet but I have made an offer on it at the dealer. They have not agreed to my price yet. Hope to have it next week.
Old 05-03-2001, 01:15 AM
Racer

Thumbs up

As my name implies I prefer the Aegean Blue Pearl....The silver would be easier to keep clean, but IMO the blue looks much better with some Zaino polish.

Hey silver is everywhere now....Aegean Blue is a brand new color for 2002...It Rocks!

I'm not being very subjective on this subject...I love my blue TL-S...

good luck
Old 05-03-2001, 01:37 AM
Pro

Man, speaking as a 99-01 TL owner, i say go with Aegean blue. Its a BEAUTIFUL color and it really stands out from the other TL's...

Silver is very common, but it does look nice. I like Black a lot but they didn't have Aegean blue back then. Get Aegean blue i'd do that if i could go back. And yes, get the bodykit it makes hella difference.

------------------
'99 3.2 TL

Black/Black
Burlwood Shift Knob
Bodykit
Spoiler
Tint
Old 05-03-2001, 10:28 AM
Racer

comp-time,
welcome to the aegean blue, it is a very nice color and it's not ostentatious, attractive to the point that somebody put a scratch on my driver side door (that's the drawback especially after you washed it). it will draw attention that somebody will be envious, that those scumbags will do some harm to your car because they are jealous.