Aesthetic Mods Info/Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Wallace, LA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aesthetic Mods Info/Inquiry

First: What size LEDS are needed to fit to replace the orange turn signal bulbs in the headlights? Anyone know where I can order some?

Second: Can our OEM 4300K Osram HIDS be fitted into our fogs? I imagine this would pretty much be plug and play. I was thinking of putting my OEM HIDS in the fogs and placing Phillips 6000K DR2 HIDS in the lows.

Third: There has been a lot of speculation about tailight tint. We know Rockblocker offers 25%, the lighter, and 35% the darker tint. Yes, I know it is the opposite of the conventional way of measuring tint darkness; ask Chad about it, not me. Rockblocker is a good, reversible option to exercise to tint your tails. Install is easy but can be aggravating IF you leave bubles in the tint, like I did. My right tail turned out perfect but my left (the second one I installed) was full of small bubles. Wish i had pics but my car was wrecked and I peeled off the film. The bubles are easily remedied: An insulin needle will penetrate the tint and suck the air out allowing you to smooth out the buble. However, this leaves the tint with little white flecks where the needle punctured the film. If you are obessive about your car like me, this will take about 5 years off your life. Also, since the film is relatively think and obviously an exterior application it may remind you of those black plastic covers/shades some cars(I've seen trucks with them) have over there tail lights. I'm not implying Rockblocker is in the same leauge with those hideous shades, BUT they do kind of remind me of it. My solution:

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Tutor...ing_Taillights

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...ct_Code=SP-999

If you go the DIY route it would be cheaper but more time consuming than the Rockblocker.

You guys think this will work? Your input and thoughts would be very appreciated!
Old 04-29-2006, 10:49 AM
Wallace, LA

Anyone?
Old 04-29-2006, 03:22 PM
2Poor 2Furious

First: The front turns are 1156 LEDs. The size is the same as the bulbs. Note that you'll need the "load equalizing resistors" so your turns don't hyperblink. Also consider getting LED bulbs that have LEDs pointed towards the reflectors rather than always foward.

Second: HID bulbs (D2R, D2S) will not fit into the fogs. The bases on HID bulbs and halogen bulbs are different. If you want HIDs in the fogs, you'll need to find rebased HID bulbs that fit the fog base.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Banned

thats a cool diy for the tails...
Old 04-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by t0ast
First: The front turns are 1156 LEDs. The size is the same as the bulbs. Note that you'll need the "load equalizing resistors" so your turns don't hyperblink. Also consider getting LED bulbs that have LEDs pointed towards the reflectors rather than always foward.
Yeah, but I would black out and clear the headlights if I did this mod. In that case I don't think the direction the LED's pointed would matter...would they?

Originally Posted by t0ast
Second: HID bulbs (D2R, D2S) will not fit into the fogs. The bases on HID bulbs and halogen bulbs are different. If you want HIDs in the fogs, you'll need to find rebased HID bulbs that fit the fog base.
So there is no way to custom fit the OEM Osram HID's into the fogs because the OEM HID bulb has a different base? Sans the more brilliant color provided by the 6000K and 8000K fogs that must be the other reason that when people do HID fogs they just go ahead and buy aftermarket because the OEM HID's don't fit.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:44 AM
2Poor 2Furious

Originally Posted by TLsu
Yeah, but I would black out and clear the headlights if I did this mod. In that case I don't think the direction the LED's pointed would matter...would they?
The clearing and blacking out wouldn't help. If you look at the turn signal housing itself, the bulb area would have color and the rest of the housing wouldn't be bright at all. Even with the sidefacing LEDs, its still pretty dim especially in bright daylight. At night, its fine. But that's the price you pay for the LED look - just gotta be careful when signaling and cutting over, knowing that some people have a harder time seeing your signals.

Originally Posted by TLsu
So there is no way to custom fit the OEM Osram HID's into the fogs because the OEM HID bulb has a different base? Sans the more brilliant color provided by the 6000K and 8000K fogs that must be the other reason that when people do HID fogs they just go ahead and buy aftermarket because the OEM HID's don't fit.

I'm not 100% sure. I know some bases have adapters so they can fit HID bulbs without rebasing the bulbs. Some require shields to prevent glare. Check out:

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/special-topics.htm
Old 04-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I fit D2R's into my stock fog lights. All I had to do was take a dremel to the base and use a little epoxy to ensure the bulb was sealed in place. Drop me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send you some pic's if your interested.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Wallace, LA

Thanks