AEM V2 Air Induction Systems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 12:25 AM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AEM V2 Air Induction Systems?

Has anyone seen this yet on the intakes area of this site? What is the difference between the one that has always been there and the V2? There almost no info on AEM's site about it...
Old 12-20-2002, 01:47 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
because it is not yet ready for the type-s
Old 12-20-2002, 08:42 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm surprised with the cost of intakes, more people aren't just making their own. Is it the cool colors? Are people concerned with asthetics? You can pick up a cone at Autozone for $20-$50, then drop about $10-$15 in pvc and hose clamps and you have an intake. Seems a better idea than spending $250-$300 for a couple of ponies and a cool sound no?
Old 12-20-2002, 08:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
THE AEM IS A SUPERIOR PRODUCT TO AUTO ZONE PARTS.THE AEM IS DYNO TUNED TO CREAT MULTIPLE FREQUENCY SOUND WAVES THAT HELP CHARGE THE CYLINDERS WITH AIR. THE SOUND YOU HEAR WHEN VTEC ENGAGES IS ACTUALLY THE RESONANCE THAT THE INTAKE IS DESIGNED TO MAKE TO HELP PULSE/FORCE AIR INTO THE ENGINE. THE AEM CAI IS DESIGNED TO DO THE SAME THING BUT BETTER
Old 12-20-2002, 10:07 AM
Racer

THE AEM IS A SUPERIOR PRODUCT TO AUTO ZONE PARTS.THE AEM IS DYNO TUNED TO CREAT MULTIPLE FREQUENCY SOUND WAVES THAT HELP CHARGE THE CYLINDERS WITH AIR. THE SOUND YOU HEAR WHEN VTEC ENGAGES IS ACTUALLY THE RESONANCE THAT THE INTAKE IS DESIGNED TO MAKE TO HELP PULSE/FORCE AIR INTO THE ENGINE. THE AEM CAI IS DESIGNED TO DO THE SAME THING BUT BETTER
Sounds like part of that quote came right off the AEM box :>) I haven't actually heard it in person...but I would have to hear it "side by side" with another home made or tuner made intake to beleive that. I've never heard such a compley claim by tuner's who make intakes for other cars. If there is a "best" way to design an intake for the TLS/CLS, why are there choices for a short and long pipe intake? Seems contradictory to me. Why would a company sell a premium and a lesser product if true performance is the goal. The performance gains from and intake are minimal to begine with. Unfortunately there are many tuner's out there who use catch phrases and things that sounds good to fool consumers. I'm not going to say it's BS because I haven't had the experience with intakes on VTEC engines, but I am very skeptical. Any intake will sounds noticably different than a stock box, but I can't imagine there is so much R&D put into a design of a simple pipe and simple filter that a tuner could "tune" (no pun inteded) the sound so that one pipe design and cone filter sound dramatically different than another. If you feel better about going with an AEM intake, go with it. I just think you can get the same, minimal performance gain and sound with a home made job.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Well, one of the guys who is just short of a genius over at the CL board made his own intake and only saw about a 2hp gain... vs. the 6-8 HP gain he got from an AEM intake.... and I know that if he couldn't get it right... no way I could. This guy is incredibly smart and knows a lot about cars, engines, physics, engineering, etc.... so it's just easier for me to drop a measly $2xx on an intake....
Old 12-20-2002, 11:55 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by juniorbean
Well, one of the guys who is just short of a genius over at the CL board made his own intake and only saw about a 2hp gain... vs. the 6-8 HP gain he got from an AEM intake.... and I know that if he couldn't get it right... no way I could. This guy is incredibly smart and knows a lot about cars, engines, physics, engineering, etc.... so it's just easier for me to drop a measly $2xx on an intake....
Since $2xx is measly to you, would you by me a CT Icebox when they come out? I'll gladly buy you a case of beer. :p

Ruf
Old 12-20-2002, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally posted by Ruf87

Since $2xx is measly to you, would you by me a CT Icebox when they come out? I'll gladly buy you a case of beer. :p

Ruf
Well, it's not really measly to me... I mean.. I have had the OBX headers for months (since the group buy), but I can't get them installed until next year . When you compare the cost of an intake to the time and effort of properly developing your own intake for only a 2hp gain... at that point it becomes measly
Old 12-20-2002, 04:04 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by juniorbean

Well, it's not really measly to me... I mean.. I have had the OBX headers for months (since the group buy), but I can't get them installed until next year . When you compare the cost of an intake to the time and effort of properly developing your own intake for only a 2hp gain... at that point it becomes measly
I know what you mean. I just couldn't resist busting your chops.

I had an Icebox on order, but since they've been put on hold it's actually been a good things. The $245 or whatever they were would have made it real tight this month.

I hope the economy turns around next year or I'll have to put off more plans for next year.

Ruf
Old 12-20-2002, 06:07 PM
l33t

But still, what is the difference??

And what the hell is an Icebox?
Old 12-20-2002, 06:35 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Darkshear
But still, what is the difference??

And what the hell is an Icebox?
If looks incredible easier to make a CAI, but if it was taht easy, the CAIs won't be selling so well. Here's a pic of the Icebox on an Accord. The Icebox fuses the advantages of a CAI and short ram without hte disadvantages. http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/330140.html
Old 12-21-2002, 12:57 AM
Senior Moderator

are you trying to make a short ram intake or a cold air, cause the cold air is alot better as far as performance.
Old 12-21-2002, 02:38 AM
l33t

Ice box looks like a good idea, but does it work just as good as a CAI? Im in FL and im paranoid about flooding the filter...

But again, AEM shows a V2 of the CAI for the TL. so whats the difference between the V2 and the old one?
Old 12-21-2002, 03:03 AM
Senior Moderator

4" primary tube.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:43 AM
Racer

well, I have a degree in physics :>) but I don't doubt this CL guy. Obviously the CL guy had the setups on the same car on a dyno, so he had a controlled experiment. I'm interested if he actually took a few runs and averaged them for comparing the hp numbers or if he had one run with each intake. The reason being is that the car rarely pulls exactly the same on every run, so with ~200 whp...a 5-7 (2-3%) fluctuation probably isn't uncommon. That's about the gain one would expect from an intake, so it's tough to tell how much is power, and how much is instrument uncertainty. The more runs done (controlled under the same condtions) the more weight the numbers have. It's tough to really compare mods that add this little power to an already powerful car. Obviously with most homade applications (especially my idea of using PVC), you don't get the same smoothness of interior walls, so maybe that really is a performance restriction. I can't imagine it's going to be as big a difference as the CL fellow found (3X the gain) with an AEM, but if those are the only numbers we have, then I won't dispute then until I can prove otherwise.

Seriously, When it comes down to it, there is really isn't a ton more flow in any filter. If you actually look at the g/s (air mass), it's not much better at all in a K&N type over a paper filter. If you actually read their claims seriously, they are talking about something like what a turbocharger/supercharger adds in air mass (g/s). Claims like this ruin the legitimacy of such products. But when you consider the fact that you don't need to change air filter, just clean it, it is a nice feature. Also, the cool sound you get is part of the price too. Here is one thing I noticed when I went to the Park Ave Acura meet back in the summer. One guy there (that I noticed) had an intake setup where he was getting more air to the filter. He had modifed his drive's side lower grille to let air through right to the cone. And he had flow all the way through to the wheel well. This looked like the best setup there.

I guess I'm coming at this intake thing from a different angle....I have a turbo car, so I'm more concerned with getting some more turbo sound, and the sound of a bloff off valve, without having to run an expensive blow off valve that will make my car run rich. I could care less if I'm adding a couple of hp to 300 hp and 300 ft-lbs :>)

A friend of mine jsut ordered one of those new GTech Pro's...the one that has a big display adn can plaoy dyno graph's and all that junk. They aren't a bad tool. They actually are pretty acurate. I wouldn't publish numbers from one, but I'd believe it's an accurate tool if operated correctly. I'm more important to jsut use the aceeleromet to measure if my mods are actually adding the g's to my car's accelleration. I'm going to hopefully do a few runs on my car before the turbo swap. I'll do a couple at .5 bar (stock turbo stock program), 1 bar (stock turbo with 1 bar programming) and with my new turbo setup at 1.4 bar. I'm really interested to see what the GTech sees in the differences in these setups.