AEM pulleys VS stereo system

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 09:15 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM pulleys VS stereo system

Okay.....I got a big problem. I have both the AEM pulleys and a 12 inch sub and 500 watt amp with a .5 farad capacitor. Are there any gains from the pulleys? Are there any major or highly noticeable side effects? I'm afraid to put them on because of possibility of lower power outage like AC won't be as effective etc. I also want to install my sub. Someone who has the pulleys or has experience with the pulleys on the TL please advise as I am getting ready to install these soon.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:28 PM
JD7
Rizzie's the color!

Re: AEM pulleys VS stereo system

Originally posted by MoDzHuNgRy
Okay.....I got a big problem. I have both the AEM pulleys and a 12 inch sub and 500 watt amp with a .5 farad capacitor. Are there any gains from the pulleys? Are there any major or highly noticeable side effects? I'm afraid to put them on because of possibility of lower power outage like AC won't be as effective etc. I also want to install my sub. Someone who has the pulleys or has experience with the pulleys on the TL please advise as I am getting ready to install these soon.
I dont have them, but i did ask about them awhile ago, and i was told that they dont really do much of anything besides run your alternator down, thats about it. So ya, i was advised against them.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:46 AM
Cruisin'

I installed a 25% underdrive pulley on my '96 Blazer 4.3 V6 and experienced these side effects (on the Blazer, not me): Alternator doesn't charge @ idle; engine heats up in stop/go traffic; engine temp fluctuates, resulting in replacement of a few thermostats; A/C doesn't cool very well at idle.

On a positive note, it will redline quicker and the A/C doesn't drag the engine down much. I also got a modest MPG boost by about 1/2 MPG.

One more negative: You'll likely have to get a nonstandard size belt unless the idler pulley arm is long enough to take up the slack.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AEM, really does't underdrive very much. They really just focus on
weight. With my Accord and 85 watt headlights I had problems.
But, the TLS has a 15-20 high amp alt, and 30 watt hids, so I doubt
you'll have any problems. My opinion on pulleys is fell good money.
Probably won't make your car faster, but if you're gonna do all the
other mods, then you might as well have these too.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:51 AM
Racer

Does anyone have these pulleys on currently on their TL-S that are actually happy with their rides? Any known side effects for our cars?