AEM CAI install ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 05:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM CAI install ?

Almost done with my AEM CAI (Type S). Only problem is that the lower intake end seems to be sticking out too much. I think the part number says 419 which is for the Type S. The only way to make it fit and for the bumper to go back on is to slide the filter 3/4 on to the tube. If I don't slide it back that far, the filter hits the fog light housing. Is this normal? Am I supposed to cut the tube shorter? I guess if I cut the tube 3 or 4 inches it would make it easier to take off from under the car for cleaning.

Also, by changing the stock coolant lines to the supplied AEM hoses some air will get into the cooling system. I assume that it will just get purged out when the coolant flows through the system? Do I need to somehow bleed the system? I tried doing a search for both questions above, but was unsuccessful. Thanks
Old 09-17-2003, 06:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
there shouldnt be any coolant lines running into the intake. there are lines that are vacum related but not coolant. as far as the intake goes did you get the type-s cai and have a tl-p?
Old 09-17-2003, 08:01 PM
Racer

Originally posted by fsttyms1
there shouldnt be any coolant lines running into the intake. there are lines that are vacum related but not coolant. as far as the intake goes did you get the type-s cai and have a tl-p?
I meant the coolant line that needed to be removed (2 metal pipes stuck together) then replaced by the AEM hose and rerouted. When I disconnected the factory hose/pipe, some coolant came out. When the new hose was applied, the air in the hose will get circulated in the cooling system. I'm assuming that it will just purge out of the system when going through the radiator etc., but it would give me peace of mind if I knew for sure. I'm not sure how much different the TLP and S setup is, but everything fits fine except for the filter area. I have a Type S and bought the AEM off of ebay. I looked up the model number on the AEM site and the one I have matches the Type S.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:45 PM

TLP wont fit a TLS. The arm extents to far and hits the quarter panel... You have the right intake 419... Just work it around til it fits correctly. Hand tighten everything first and make sure it fits... Once you get it to fit the way that you want it then you finish tightening everything....
Old 09-18-2003, 02:44 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Mr
TLP wont fit a TLS. The arm extents to far and hits the quarter panel... You have the right intake 419... Just work it around til it fits correctly. Hand tighten everything first and make sure it fits... Once you get it to fit the way that you want it then you finish tightening everything....
Thanks. The upper end of the intake seems to fit fine. How far did you push the air filter on to the tube? It can go in about 1 inch then stops, but then the filter sticks out too much and hits the fog light housing when I tried to put the bumper back on. If I shove the filter further on about 2 or 3 more inches, then it fits. Is this normal to push the filter that far in?
Old 09-18-2003, 07:47 AM
Papa Bear

I know exactly what you're talking about when you say replacing the coolant line. Yes, there will be some air in there and you need to get them out. What I did was I took the radiator cap off (make sure the engine is not hot!) and just squeeze the coolant hose. Do it a few times and you will notice that the coolant level dropped if you're looking at the radiator. Just top it off and do it again and all the air should be gone.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:09 AM
Cape Breton Type-S

First of you can just push the filter right into the intake tube and it should fit ..just make sure you have things just hand tight so you can manipulate it in...aftarward it does sit rather close but should be ok ..i had the same problem but got it to work no problem....you took the front bumper off??? that was not necessary ..there is a small splash guard under the car on the driver side that is removed with just 1 bolt and 2 bolt clips its much easier and not as invasive as removing the nose of the car ...good luck..
Old 09-18-2003, 10:21 PM
Racer

Completed the intake today. I ended up cutting off about two inches from the end of the intake just to be safe. I also opened the radiator and squeezed the hose to flow the coolant. Thanks for the advice and input
Old 09-18-2003, 11:33 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
spray some wd40 on a rag and rub it on the rubber of the filter and the end of the pipe, then get the filter all the way on the pipe.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:37 AM
Racer

Originally posted by bigman
spray some wd40 on a rag and rub it on the rubber of the filter and the end of the pipe, then get the filter all the way on the pipe.
I had used some silicone spray to get the filter on all the way. Thanks. Can't wait to try it out on the road. I love the hiss sound when the ignition is shut off. It might be my imagination or because I was in the garage, but the Comptech exhaust seems a little louder or throatier after the intake install
Old 09-19-2003, 03:33 PM
Cape Breton Type-S

did you end up taking the front bumper off?? or did you get it out from underneath??
Old 09-22-2003, 12:05 AM
Racer

Originally posted by medicshane
did you end up taking the front bumper off?? or did you get it out from underneath??
I had taken off the front bumper. I just thought it would make things easier to see and work with. I had taken it off several times before and it was pretty fast and easy. If I didn't take off the bumper, I probably could have shoved the filter on from under when the intake was not bolted down.