AEM bypass question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM bypass question

I live in Socal and since we really dont get that much rain I was wondering if the bypass is really necessary. I know to avoid puddles when it is raining. As long as the filter does not get submerged at all is there really a problem?
Old 12-12-2001, 07:55 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would your rather pay the cost of 45 bucks for the bypass or put your car in risk of killing your engine if you happen to drive through a puddle of water? If I were you, just get it and drive without being concern with the heavy rain.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TypeSDragon
Would your rather pay the cost of 45 bucks for the bypass or put your car in risk of killing your engine if you happen to drive through a puddle of water? If I were you, just get it and drive without being concern with the heavy rain.
TRUE, and I sure don't want to be responsible for a blown engine.

However, that bloody bypass is a real power robber and I'm not JUST talking about the turbulence in the inside of the valve. (It can also let in dirt, loose power from its way-to-easy opening, and can confuse any responsibility if the AEM bracket breaks...

1. It doesn't help with possible bracket failures (on the AEM CAI).
2. It leaks air *and* lets air in so easy that it will pull in enough hot air from the top of the hood to almost negate the gains from the installation in the first place.
3. The "valve" is allowing "dirty" air into the engine under wide-open throttle (WOT) conditions. The stuff covering the flappers is foam -- and it isn’t oiled. Under WOT there is enough air coming in, that any issues concerning the K&N filtering (how well it removes harmful particles) is rendered moot.

I'm facing the same problem (I have the shipping box with filter, bypass-valve, and K&N cleaning kit) and had a chance to "play" with the valve and do some "informal" tests

You could breath through the thing on a marathon run and not notice any resistance (with your hand blocking one end). It opens at the slightest "suck" of air (too easy is the problem). It also is "leaky" -- it allows air to blow out as well. So, it will save the engine from the dreaded hydrolock, but...

link to acura-cl forum (food for thought): http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=55395

(I didn't even mention the dirt ingestion issue [there] -- before you flame me, have a real good look at the valve, take it out, and just suck and push some easy air from your lungs...)

So, you can add a rubber hose to replace the valve in the summer, but what about the dirt issues????