Advice on an HID kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 09:26 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advice on an HID kit

I just put 8000k HID bulbs in the headlights, and they really don't match the fog lights. Plus, with an HID kit in the fogs, there's more light output. I am not going to spend more than $389 (plasmagarage.com's price) for a kit. If anyone knows of a better price somewhere, please lemme know. I'd like to buy one in a few weeks. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:35 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Look for Kmax ballasts. they last my friend for about 2 years and it is still going. or just buy some philips ballasts and then use some 8000k bulbs... philips dont make 8000k bulbs.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:26 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok so for a "kit" to be complete, you need pretty much a ballast(s), and the bulbs, and wiring. They're all interchangeable? i could buy any ballast and any bulb? and what about the wiring connections to and from the ballast, are they all the plug in type? thanks a lot.

EDIT: right now i'm eying the plasmagarage.com or HIDKING.COM hid kits....

btw, as long as A bulb is 8000k it'll match any other 8000k right?...or they might be a bit different?
Old 08-31-2004, 05:56 AM
Drifting

I would hope it does, some ppl are more cheap and use a blue tint to make it blue. It is not always plug and play and even if it is I don't recommend it because it draws too much power from the stock wiring. Some ppl are fine with it and some arent. I didn't believe it until it happened to my friend's Altima.

Bulbs and ballasts are interchangable. How much are they charging there?
Old 09-01-2004, 09:28 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by shawn744
ok so for a "kit" to be complete, you need pretty much a ballast(s), and the bulbs, and wiring. They're all interchangeable? i could buy any ballast and any bulb? and what about the wiring connections to and from the ballast, are they all the plug in type? thanks a lot.

EDIT: right now i'm eying the plasmagarage.com or HIDKING.COM hid kits....

btw, as long as A bulb is 8000k it'll match any other 8000k right?...or they might be a bit different?
The kits usually are complete, just make sure you get one made by a good company and not some knock off korean one. And make sure you get the one that has a ballast as one unit , so that you dont have to worry about the ignitor, there are some kits that have two boxes on each side behind the bulb, one the ignitor and the other one being the ballast. Some kits, such as Hella ones, have only one box that incorporates ballast and Ignitor in one. As far as puttin strain on your system, well a stock halogen bulb takes 55 watts of electricity, and an HID bulb takes only 35 watts, so you are actually relieving the wires of some stress. Light output wouldnt matter coz you wont be able to tell between fogs and low beams, beacuse low beams are pointed down towards the road, whereas the fogs are straight on, anything between 6000K and above will do the job to match with the 8000k low beams.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jack_n_coke
The kits usually are complete, just make sure you get one made by a good company and not some knock off korean one. And make sure you get the one that has a ballast as one unit , so that you dont have to worry about the ignitor, there are some kits that have two boxes on each side behind the bulb, one the ignitor and the other one being the ballast. Some kits, such as Hella ones, have only one box that incorporates ballast and Ignitor in one. As far as puttin strain on your system, well a stock halogen bulb takes 55 watts of electricity, and an HID bulb takes only 35 watts, so you are actually relieving the wires of some stress. Light output wouldnt matter coz you wont be able to tell between fogs and low beams, beacuse low beams are pointed down towards the road, whereas the fogs are straight on, anything between 6000K and above will do the job to match with the 8000k low beams.

I agree with almost everything. It draws 150 some odd Watts during the first few seconds. Directly to stock wiring can noticeable not be enough. Ppl like NYDesi80 has seen the difference between the startup of using stock wiring, less flicker and faster startup. On a friend's car using stock wiring on his low beams, after 2.5 years it doesnt start up anymore but regular bulsb work.... reason, it can not draw the 150Ws it needs to start up.

6000k is a hint of blue/purple, 8000k = blue... they will not match. I have had 4300K in one headlight and 6000k in another with an Altima with 8000ks next to my car. In no way does it match.