Advice for brand spanking new Acura TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 09:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Advice for brand spanking new Acura TL-S

Alright well here goes...a bit of background to start.

I'm a senior computer engineer over at UT Austin, in Texas. What this means is that I know a whole lot about electronics but not a lot about car mods. So, I have sitting in my parking space a brand new 2002 Acura TL-S Type. Virgin car too, in the sense that it has everything factory, plus a factory spoiler. Now, you guys all sound like you have experience in this and know what you're doing...so I want advice

First, what I am going to do/plan to do to this car. Well, I compete in IASCA, as a novice member, and I'm about to come in this year with a bang. So in the car what I am going to at LEAST do...is place two Rockford Fosgate 800a2 Power amps running three JL 12w6's (and soon 12w7's) in a custom fiberglass box. Additionally, I am going to run a Rockford Fosgate 600a5 Power with a channel going to each of the JL XR653 6.5" 3 way component series...which I'm going to place in the doors in the back, and either the doors, but most likely the top of the dash and A pillars in the front.... and one to the two full ranges in the dash. The big thing about this car is going to be the computer. Yeah I know...so on to that.

The sound system is NOT the big deal here. The big deal is the onboard computer. Basically I'm going to tear out the armrest in the center of the back seat, and place a computer in there, where the front face is where the hole from the armrest is now. I'm going to leather wrap it too, including the CDRW and DVDRW faces, so that it looks "factory" Additionally, the computer will be playing my mp3's and DVDs, and have digital 5.1 output that goes to the 6 channels (4xComponent 3 way, 1xCenter, 1xSubs). It will connect to the internet through my LG cell phone, as well as do GPS nav and Voice Recognition. And to run all this it will have two 6" screens in the headrests and an 8-12" screen embedded in the dash (size not yet determined). There are a lot more things it will do, but I'll keep those quiet for now until I get it done. So on to my questions

Before I go on...although it sounds like I have a lot of $$$, I don't...everything about cost under $1000. So keep that in mind below...

To really make this car a "show car" it needs a whole lot more than a nice entertainment center. First off, I need nice rims and tires. Any suggestions as to size or brand, and good racing style tires that really catch the pavement? I had in mind some nice 17x7's, I'll attach a picture, but I'm not entirely sure. The usual thing to do is like 17's in the front and 18's in the back yes? Any pictures of really nice rims attached to your replies and where to get them cheap would be appreciated. I definitely don't want the tires to stick out too much, so I wasn't going to go with 7.5's or more...also the wheel wells don't look like they can comfortably hold more than a 17" and take bumps well...

Second, I HATE the factory spoiler...a spoiler should be something where air can actually pass UNDER it so....know where I can get any nice and taller black spoilers? Suggestions? Again, please attach pictures and send links

Third, my color scheme is going to most likely be a faint blue and black, and some silver. I want to match the blue to the HID style blue...in which case I want to get clear rear lenses for the lights, and HID or blue bulbs...any ideas? Is that even legal to change the color? And is there a clear lens changeout for the spoiler...because changing out the rear lenses and leaving the spoiler red (as the factory is) will look...to say the least...terrible.

Fourth, underbody kits...I really like the Bomex and AB Flug body kits...such as the one here: http://store5.yimg.com/I/supra_1652_20373691
Anything for Acura TL S-Types? Also...I'm under the impression that those cost $18000 and you have to ship your car to Japan...uhm any other cheaper options?

Fifth, interior lighting. I don't really feel like changing out the LCD clock in the car...so anyone know where I can get a blue backlight for it? Same goes for the backlights for the Odometer and Trip Computer. Last but not least, the center lighting to illuminate the front and back, any idea where to get faint HID blue replacement bulbs (obviously don't have to be real HID, in fact probably can't...just that color).

Sixth, interior trim etc. Considering that I am going to have to cut some things up, I'd prefer to do it with the stuff that isn't factory...so I can return the car to factory condition before selling. In which case...where do I go about getting trim kits? Especially for the dash around the stereo? And here's probably my biggest two questions of all....1) where do I get the black leather they used in the car to wrap my stereo components and computer, and 2) where do I find replacement headrests. The headrests can't be the triangle cutout TL-S type...just straight block headrests, because I will need them to be solid to cut holes from to put in the screens. This means they won't be the standard Acura TL-S headrests, so what fits and where can I get them?

And now to the good stuff...
Seventh, BPU's! Well, I am under the impression that the Acura TL-S already has performance mods to get it the 60 HP over the Acura TL standard type...so I'm worried some of these won't make a difference...so if you guys could tell me if it will make a difference, and if so what's the best performance but not too expensive. Things I am interested in...exhause/cat-back systems, cold or ram intake/manifold/filters, nitrous (small kit), ECU chips (?) and anything else that would bump up performance. I am not looking for suspension, shocks, etc stuff.

So there it is guys. I was already told at Car Stereo Review that if I pulled this off I'd get a feature so if someone out there wants to take up my sorry @$$ and help me I'd be more than happy to put your name in my sponsors book, as well as the CSR article. Thanks for all your help guys...and remember make sure to put links and pictures in everything!!

Austin519
Old 09-28-2001, 12:11 AM
Racer

I don't have a singlie answer for any of your questions, but that's one hell of a first post!!! Wow!
Old 09-28-2001, 12:51 AM
Banned

Ha ha ha...so ya just wanted to put your signature picture up eh? Nah, I'm just kidding.

Two additions to the post above...I don't think I made the rims question clear...I know that the '02 Acura TL S Type has...17"x6.5" on all four (I think 6.5") but if I put new 18x7's on the back will they be too big? And should I go with 18x7's or 18x7.5's and should I do it on just the back or all four?

Another thing...what kind of brake pads...and what kind of pedals? The Razo's look pretty nice. Also, AcuraTL, the moderator here...your Momo rims look nice...how much $$$ were they?

Last but not least...I'm gonna post everything when I'm done with the entertainment part of the car and I'm gonna be selling kits...so if anyone wants to buy one just let me know...

Austin519
Old 09-28-2001, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Austin519

Definately love the on-board computer.... I am in the works of making something else myself.... but like you, I haven't started building anything... just planning an spec'ing out parts.

Comp. eng from UT-Austin... mucho respect fer ya. I got my BS (an trust me, alot of it ) from UF in comp. eng.... hence the name

I'd like to swap ideas with you about what computer component you plan to use etc..... begrudingly.... I might have to use Windows b/c lack of software avail on unix/linux to run all the app I want...

PM me if you want...
Old 09-28-2001, 11:43 AM
Drifting

Brand spanking new?

One word of advice, wipe that goddam grin off your face!!

I'm picking my EBP up in 20 minutes!!!!!
Old 09-28-2001, 12:41 PM
jbn
Instructor

Huh??
Old 09-28-2001, 12:50 PM
Racer

Welcome to the board and damn, what a first post....
Old 09-28-2001, 01:04 PM
Advanced

Alright?

And you wanted to keep this under a $1000? yea right. are you sponsored by somebody or something? or are you just a god damn genius who knows how to build everything? your system itself should run you more than a $1000. but other than that, if you can hook that up for $1000 or less, let me know, because i would pay you $1500 for what you're doing. maybe even more...haha

but yea, hell of a post!
Old 09-28-2001, 03:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of alarm system are you going to get a good mid range system would cost you $500.00 or more. I think you might need it for all the stuff your putting in
Old 09-29-2001, 02:48 AM
Banned

Cool Heh heh...

UFCen2000:
Florida eh? I have quite a few people down there. I'm originally from Atlanta. And hey, there are a good many IASCA competitions down there...so maybe when I come down next we can meet up. Since I have no clue how this BBS works, lemme just give you my AIM and email... Austin519, and Austin519@aol.com. Email or IM me whenever ya see me and we'll talk...and that goes for anyone else here too. I will say two things though UFCen...first, the stuff is mostly done dude! The computer is built...running Slackware 8 and Windows 200 dual boot...all of the audio and entertainment parts are mostly ordered etc...I even have the system diagrams Second...don't worry you won't ever have to use Micro$hit if you pick the components I did...I got a Radeon VE because it's VERY good dual display capabilities and open source linux drivers, same is true of the Santa Cruz sound card...and any program you need I can most likely code or outsource to friends of mine...good thing about still being a college engineer...all my friends are too! Drop me a line man and lemme know, I'd love to work together

Hemants:
You seem to forget...I am a computer geek :p so I have NO idea what EBP is aside from a Swedish aftermarket car parts maker...enlighten me?

jbn:
yep.

Pawel:
<bow> thank you <bow>

Kimeh:
<bow again> why thank you. Well I can break it down for ya, but that $1000 was without the computer:
Motherboard: $40
CPU: $40
Ram: $30
Hard drives: $120
Video Card: $50
Audio Card: $50
GPS Nav: $10
Screens: $260
DVD-RW: $220
CDRW: $100
Computer total = $920

JL XR653 (2): $300
JL 525CX (2): $120
RF 800a2P (2): $350
RF 600a5P: $150
JL 12w6 (1): $100
Stereo total = $1020

Now I did already have two 12w6's...and the computer price wasn't in there. I don't have sponsorship yet but I hope to get it. I know Bill Burton, Editor In Chief of Mobile Entertainment, well, and hopefully I can get some advertising out of that. As for your offer...I should be able to get the cost down a good bit soon enough. Going with now DVD-RW or CDRW, or such a big screen in the front would cut the cost down about $450...so for the computer and stereo it would be $1700 (gotta add $200 assuming you don't have two 12w6's lying around)...and of course I'm sure I can find ways to bring it down even more...keep in touch...

FTM-1:
I agree...I was looking at a Clifforn system, because I have heard good stuff about them and like their features...however I had a better idea. All an alarm system is going to do is make noise and immobilize the vehicle. Well the good news is that the computer can take care of all that. Pressure sensors on the windows, windshield, doors, etc will alert the computer (which is in sleep mode) if something funky is going on. If the car is ever broken into, the computer will immobilize the vehicle by cutting the power to the ignition, but doing some more interesting things as well. First, I can have it lock the breaks (by tapping into the ABS Motorola chip the car uses, sounds hard but isn't). If having a dead, stopped car isn't enough, I'm also going to have the integrated cell phone dial either 911 and give an automated voice telling them my car is being jacked, and the location of it (using, yes, the GPS stuff), and/or dial up my pager. And I'll go ahead and drop one of the secrets I didn't want to discuss because you brought it up...wouldn't it be cool if someone was to remove the keyholes on the outside of the doors, trunk, and ignition and replace them with thumbprint recognition pads wired into the car's computer...so anyway

Lastly, guys I appreciate all the attention and feedback...and not to sound anal (though deep down inside I think I really am), does anyone have any answers to my questions above? To give a summary...

1) Rims
2) Spoiler
3) New taillight lenses/different colored tail lights
4) Underbody kits
5) Internal lights
6) Interior trim/headrests
7) BPU's!

Thanks guys...read my first post to get a background on the above 7, thanks a lot!

Austin519
Old 09-29-2001, 10:06 AM
jps
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Heh heh...

Originally posted by Austin519
...wouldn't it be cool if someone was to remove the keyholes on the outside of the doors, trunk, and ignition and replace them with thumbprint recognition pads wired into the car's computer...
I vote for a voice recognition system.
Old 09-30-2001, 12:21 AM
Banned

Cons of voice

I assume you mean voice recognition to open the car...in which case I'd have to disagree. Why? Because 1) voice is really easy to fake...all you need is a recording of the person and you can do some crazy stuff with it. Don't believe me? That's part of what I did at Dept. of Defense this summer...among other freaky and classified things. Also, it means you'll need a mic on the outside of the car...and it will have to be waterproof. Fingerprint recognition is completely self contained (mount one in the front left corner of the window, and just hold your finger up to the window. But, if you're interested, it's hella easy to do...in fact, the voice recognition I already have in the car to control everything else could just as soon do that...

Austin519
Old 09-30-2001, 10:58 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Save all the money, sell the tl when you get tired and get the new 7 series or the new S class coming out. THey both have voice recognition everything and the s class has a voice recognition on the remote for starting the car, opening the doors and windows and trunk, among other things.
Old 09-30-2001, 01:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

No answers to the questioins, but welcome to the boards.............
Old 09-30-2001, 05:03 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by evolaerok
No answers to the questioins, but welcome to the boards.............
Ye..exactly... and once all this is done.. i want to see at least 30 pics of all this stuff... man!!!!
Old 09-30-2001, 05:07 PM
Banned

Wink

Bigman:

Very easy to explain why...so easy I wonder if I misread your question...

2002 Acura TL S-Type: $30500
Computer based GPS NAV, DVD Video, Mp3, Internet, 5.1 Digital Surround, etc: $800
Supercharger, Sports Manifold, Cold Air Intake, Comptech Exhaust, Carbon Fiber Tips, 18" Rims, Axxis Brake Pads, 13" Brembo Brakes, Rear HID Kit: $5000
Total: $36300

Base price 2001 BMW 740iA: $63000
Base price 2001 Mercedes S430: $70000

Now...you're telling me that the TLS above...which on top of it having everything that the BMW has and MORE for $800 more (the cost of the computer package, sans the competition audio)...isn't as good of a deal/idea although it costs $26700 less than the 740iA (the cheapest 7 series) and it costs $33700 less than the cheapest Mercedes, you'd rather go with one of those two? Because you end up paying 30 grand...enough to buy a second TL-S type stock...for a name.

Not just that...but I assure you with the added 30% HP from the supercharger, as well as the cold air intake, exhaust, and tips we can bring the two out to the track and I'll let you chew on my dust

Last but not least...
Mercedes=Old guy with fragile bones wanting to show he's successful and doesn't want a cadillac

BMW=Spoiled teenage-early 20's white kid wanting to show off with a name, or middle aged guy having a midlife crisis :p

AcuraTLS=kick ass car with one of the most advanced engines out there, where the person behind the wheel pays for not just the name, but performance, and the fact that it looks totally kick @$$.

Heh, I hope that answers your question...

Austin519
p.s. - just to ask one more time...you'd pay $30000 more for voice recognition? Damn...come talk to me, I'll charge you 30 grand to put a computer in your car...no sweat
Old 09-30-2001, 05:15 PM
Banned

SergeTL02:
Sure thing =)
Old 09-30-2001, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Austin --
No particular response to any of your queries, however I just wanted to wish you luck in your endeavour.
Old 10-01-2001, 05:50 AM
yee
Burning Brakes

Austin519 - I've been out of the country since Aug, and before that...I'm sure that a DVD-RW runs around $900 (at that time I bought a 24xCDR by TDK for $200)... have prices drop this much and this fast?? Is so, could you please tell me where you can get the DVD-RW for $220? thanks.

The new S-Class has a rather nifty door handle...the driver carries a id card with him (credit-card size), the car recognizes the card in a short distance, and once his/her hand grabs the door handle, it automatically unlocks the door ... same thing with the ignition

your idea is quite impressive, and definitely worth taking a look at once it's all done, good luck.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:52 AM
Banned

Hey there, McGyver, can you use a hershey wrapper, and a paper clip to build a supercharger for your TL-S??

Nice first, posts tho.....
Old 10-01-2001, 10:58 AM

Austin, it's great that you want to mod your car, but there's no need to put down what are arguably 2 of the finest cars made-the 7-series and the S class. These are what every car manufacturer wish they could build, or at least try to. Just because you can't afford one ("although it sounds like I have a lot of $$$, I don't") don't knock those that can as being foolish with their money, they're most likely not going to shop for one of these vehicles then turn around and say "you know what, the TL-S is a much better vehicle, why am I spending all this money ??" I could buy an Accord, load it up and still save 3 or 4k over the TL-S, and 50k on a 7 or S series, but would it be nicer IMO, no. I like this site, but more often than not, the opinion is that non-Acura owners spent too much money for the same car, yet BMW and Mercedes sell more vehicles overall yearly, that's alot of stupid people right ?! I like Acura, they have turned their company around, and make some great cars, but please don't trash what are considered 2 of the better cars made, any car enthusiast would agree.
Old 10-01-2001, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Austin519
Bigman:

Very easy to explain why...so easy I wonder if I misread your question...

2002 Acura TL S-Type: $30500
Computer based GPS NAV, DVD Video, Mp3, Internet, 5.1 Digital Surround, etc: $800
Supercharger, Sports Manifold, Cold Air Intake, Comptech Exhaust, Carbon Fiber Tips, 18" Rims, Axxis Brake Pads, 13" Brembo Brakes, Rear HID Kit: $5000
Total: $36300

Base price 2001 BMW 740iA: $63000
Base price 2001 Mercedes S430: $70000

Now...you're telling me that the TLS above...which on top of it having everything that the BMW has and MORE for $800 more (the cost of the computer package, sans the competition audio)...isn't as good of a deal/idea although it costs $26700 less than the 740iA (the cheapest 7 series) and it costs $33700 less than the cheapest Mercedes, you'd rather go with one of those two? Because you end up paying 30 grand...enough to buy a second TL-S type stock...for a name.

Not just that...but I assure you with the added 30% HP from the supercharger, as well as the cold air intake, exhaust, and tips we can bring the two out to the track and I'll let you chew on my dust

Last but not least...
Mercedes=Old guy with fragile bones wanting to show he's successful and doesn't want a cadillac

BMW=Spoiled teenage-early 20's white kid wanting to show off with a name, or middle aged guy having a midlife crisis :p

AcuraTLS=kick ass car with one of the most advanced engines out there, where the person behind the wheel pays for not just the name, but performance, and the fact that it looks totally kick @$$.

Heh, I hope that answers your question...

Austin519
p.s. - just to ask one more time...you'd pay $30000 more for voice recognition? Damn...come talk to me, I'll charge you 30 grand to put a computer in your car...no sweat

I love my TL-S and all, but to try and even compare it to a 7 series or a S calss is, well, stoopid! And you are paying for more than a name.

I can appreciate your love for your acura, and all the mods you are gonna do, but stop smoking crack, and comparing cars that are not even on the same planet.
Old 10-01-2001, 04:18 PM
Instructor

I think this thread is turning into the BMW, MB debate again. Which is better??? It's a difference in opinion. I could afford a BMW or a MB, yet I bought an Acura. I think BMW, and MB are extremely nice cars, but just because they're German doesn't neccessarily make them the best. The one reason why I didn't buy one was because of reliability. I didn't want to gamble on it. I wanted a car known for its reliability. And if it broke how much would it cost me. My father in law has owned three BMWs and two of them have lasted well over 100k miles. But he puts those miles on them with in 4 years or so. One was a constant problem, costing him money out the butt. Same with MB some are great, and some aren't. Your probably thinking all cars have these problems. Your right but win you roll the dice, do you want to hand over a ton of money, or a half ton when and if it breaks.

My opinion may have something to do with coming from a car that was very high maintenance. When it broke, it was a fortune to fix. I new this going into it but I was like....Hm it's only money and I love the car. Well I got tired of that after a while. But it's addicting...I'm already searching for another RX7 again. I miss the power. Well, I really miss the looks from the faces of vette owners, but...
Old 10-02-2001, 04:36 AM
Banned

LauderdaleTL:
Thanks, I appreciate that =)

Yee:
Since about 5-6 more brands have come out yes. I belive Pioneer was the first mass produced one...now everyone from Plextor to Yamaha is starting to do them...go to eBay and grab one...most retailers overstocked any you can grab one cheap...but beware...the media costs $8-$18 apiece...rather hefty unless you're planning on using ALL the space (in which it's cheaper than CDRW)...and I have a 24x10x40 UW SCSI CDRW for $110...with BurnProof...

Austin519
p.s. - damnit absolutely no answers aaaah!
Old 10-02-2001, 04:39 AM
Banned

Also...
Yee:
Another idea that takes a BIT more effort....putting the fingerprint recognition in custom made door handles (which have indentations for where your hands go when you normally open the door to guide your fingers to the sensors...to where it would read all 5 fingers (5x more secure) and you wouldn't even see it...heh how's that? Don't carry a card around...

Robbdogg:
Actually yes...but I'll also need half a stick of chewing gum and some common garden fertilizer...
:p

Austin519
Old 10-02-2001, 06:43 AM
Banned

Uhm...well first off...this is an Acura forum...those cars...are nice...and there aren't a lot of stupid people out there. Just a lot of rich ones. I sure hope if you spent $60-70k on a car, it's nice...and if you're paying for 2x a TL-S it should be twice as nice. I'm not as much proud of my Acura as I am annoyed with people who would spend that much on a car for ANY reason...geez give it to charity or something. As more of a do it yourself-er you're basically paying for someone else to do to the car what you could. You could build an entirely new CAR yourself...engine, fuel tracks, tranny, everything...for that price difference. Even so, what I was saying is why the hell would you pay $30000 more for the cars when what you want costs you $2000 or less (MAX) to put in an Acura...I wasn't comparing Acura+my stuff versus S and 7 just because, I was because it was suggested that I somehow cough $30k outta my @$$ to pay for that...that's all

Now Robbdogg...I see you felt the need to spout off...in which case I'm calling you explain why performance-wise and feature-wise why the 7 or the S is better than the TL-S with a total overhaul that, say....$10k could do to it...including all the things I mentioned I am doing to mine. If you don't have any stuff performance or feature-wise (aka the Acura has better performance and more features, and I know I can replicate any feature of the S and BMW sans AWD for much less than 10k)...then all you're paying for IS the name.

And yes...a good point Jeremy...Ted I can afford either of the aforementioned cars...I just think it's a stupid investment, a $30000 too stupid investment...but another good point by KEremy, I don't want my Acura TL-S advice thread to become a thread for people to piss and moan about why BMW or MB is better than Acura or worse...so do me a favor and drop that and actually help me out with my questions

Austin519
Old 10-02-2001, 09:05 AM
Instructor

uhh austin

I have thought about some of the same stuff you are into.. Not a computer engineer, but I graduated with a BS in Electrical Engineering from the Naval Academy in 2000... Let me know if you need anything or if i can help, also keep me posted on what is up b/c if it works out for you, I would love some help setting up my ride
Old 10-02-2001, 10:02 AM

Austin, I understand where you are coming from, I just hate when people use a forum (any forum) to throw jabs at other manufacturers, what does it accomplish ? Does it make people feel better in their mind that they made the right decision, unlike everyone else ? Even if you're just joking, you may somewhat agree with what you said. As far as being able to afford those cars, I just reitterated what you said, because $35+ more is rather hard to accumulate when you don't have alot to spend to begin with. And one reason most people buy all those gadgets pre-installed is because they can't install them themselves, and if something goes wrong or breaks, their warranty will initially cover it. Alot of dealers discourage mods of any type, and will not honor the warranty in alot of cases, and modded vehicles limit your resale potential i.e. a smaller public demand in private sales, or the dealer makes you remove them before trade-in, leaving you with outdated or incompatible mods for your new vehicle. I have a GS430 and would love to do what you have mentioned, but my dealer notoriously frowns on after market pieces, only TRD parts which are warranteed. And by the time my warrantee is up I'll have already traded it for something else anyway.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey austin, you should come to our next meet bro! id love to see your ride. i dont know when we'll have our next meet but ill let you know sometime. the last meet we had was in houston cuz most of the members here on the board (from texas) are mostly in houston anyway.

i also want to ask you some questions about my stereo system. i just bought a rockford 800a2 amp and i was wondering if that is enough to push my 2 12" rockford punch dvc's. i plan on using my head unit to push my image dynamic components for now..until i get another amp for my components. any suggestions on which amp i should get for the components? how about 600a2 (like yours?) and one last question...should i change out my car battery for the optima yellow caps?? or red cap? or blue? (if there is a blue) okay, i lied about the last question....ONE MORE QUESTION, i want to put my subs in the trunk (getting it ready for the next car show in houston..maybe next year) and i want to have access to my spare tire as well as having a nice stereo setup. is that possible???
Old 10-02-2001, 10:11 AM
Racer

you can find relatively cheap computer hardware @ www.pricewatch.com ... i hope it's okay to post that site??
Old 10-02-2001, 08:22 PM
Banned

Sniper_mjh:
Yeah man I will keep you posted....you're EE huh? Then you're my brethren =) I will totally keep you posted...but I have a question for you or anyone else who wants to answer...any idea how to duplicate parts in the TL-S. I was thinking getting a mold kit with some type of mold material and quick-cure urethane, so you'd make a mold with the mold material, then coat the inside with urethane and let it dry...but before it does you can mess with it and add compartments etc etc etc.

TedC:
My main point wasn't to diss those cars in general...just with repsect to the difference in price to my car and the features...I didn't mean to turn this into a brand debate...sorry for that. As for not having that $35k...the idea isn't that I don't have the $$$ as much as I am trying to keep this a low budget system...and thus more appealing to teens and whatnot, than most of the enormously high end stuff...like paying 1500 for in dash dvd and whatnot. Although I agree with your thing about mods...what I hope to achieve is a set of these for popular cars...where all they do is ask to buy the kit...buy it, take it home, and install it in under 2 hours. My most important rule? That you can return the car to factory condition whenever you want...hence solving your issue about resale or dealer warranties (return to factory condition before selling or warranty work). The best part...these mods wouldn't be incompatible with any car by their pure nature So before you discount an idea like this...realize the main idea of this project is to sell a kit that is EASY to install and even easier to remove...

TLBaller:
I sure will man...this project WILL take awhile...my most important thing right now is picking a good show car polish to protect the car from texas dust...it's only 5 days old...guys...what looks best...if you answer nothing else PLEASE answer this...Zaino? Or Klasse (think that's right) or what? I want a very wet look...so, aside from multiple layers, which works best? I'm leaning toward Zaino.
But once I get going it should be pretty quick...I just want to install it in the car right...no scuffs, no cuts, no spots where it can't be returned to factory.
On to your Q...you're asking a guy who's always disliked the boom that RF DVC's give (I'm assuming the RF 3212's here)...so...what you would do for DVC subs is hook both of the +'s up to the + for CH1, and the -'s up to the -'s for CH1, and do the same for Channel 2, which will wire them to impedance match the amp. The subs do 400 RMS 800 Max @ 2 Ohms for both DVC's wired...and then you have 400x2 @ 2 Ohms for the Amp. Now...routinely RF underrates these amps...so you're looking more towad about 450-500x2 @ 2 Ohms. With that in mind...you're putting in reality about 425-475 Watts into each sub @ 2 Ohms, which is split across each voice coil to give you about 212.5-237.5 per voice coil. Now realize that these subs are also generally overrated...usually you want an amp that has about 20% more power than you need...because running the amp at max does a lot of bad things, including shorter life, a lot of heat, higher THD...etc. And to really power those subs you'll be doing that. Unfortunately you've already bought that 800a2 and the subs. So, not to totally crush you, I think it will work fine. You will never be able to push the subs to the limit (a good thing), and you will always push your amp to the limit (not a great thing) but you should be alright. Your best bet, if you wanted to avoid pushing your amp to the max, is to either relenquish a little bass (unless you're in competition you won't notice) and turn the amp up to 90% of max...or to go get another 800a2 and another Punch DVC...this way you have 1600 Watts into the loads...which turns out to be 533 Watts apiece...much closer to what you want. Hope that helped.

On to the components...you didn't tell me how many sets...but I assume you have two if you're looking at a 600a2 (I am using a 600a5 by the way). However, depending on the component set you use...you want to find out the RMS of the set, and you want to make sure at the same impedance that you get about 20% than the RMS...this is my own preference...I am sure other people have theirs...I've just found that this makes the stuff last longer. So if you have 100W RMS to the component set, you want an amp with 120W per channel, or close to that...so 120x2=240W...so you'd be alright with a 250, 300, etc. Okay to go over (you can adjust the amp to be quieter) but not under (you can't make it louder). As for changing out your battery...well...there are many schools of thought. For me, I am going to go grab either an Optima Yellow Top and Blue Top, or 2 Hawker Technologies XT70's (http://www.hepi.com/xt.htm). The former everyone knows about...but the latter I know about because we use it to power our solar cars...now I can tell you, that battery is one of the most powerful batteries I have ever seen. But for you...if you're only running an 800a2 and a 600a2 or less...and some misc. components, you don't need a new battery at all. I need two because I'm running two 800a2 (need 1000 wattsx2=2000 Watts) Powers, 600a5 (need 725 Watts)Power, a 350 Watt computer, 3 Screens (50 Watts), and a good bit of other things...so I have a total 3125 extra Watts I need. For you, I just suggest you get a Lightning Audio Storm Digital 1F Cap ($80) to suck up the blows to your electrical system that the amp will do when the bass hits. Wire the cap in parallel with your amps and power supply...+ of cap to + of amps and + of battery, and - of cap to - of amps grounded to your chassy (make sure to sand the hole to get a good connection). Also, make sure to ground your - battery terminal to your chassy a second time with a 4 awg wire. As for putting your subs in your trunk...that's obviously what I am going to do to. To tell you my setup...I am removing the Bose speaker in the rear of my 2k2 TL-S so I now have a hole facing the ceiling behind the seats. I'm placing a box in the car to take up the room up to where the trunk widens away from the wheel wells...and the port is going to blow up through the hole made by the Bose speaker. Now...to access the spare all you have to do is remove the box. Your best bet is to make sure to get a box that is removable....or if you use a Baffle technique with the box...be able to remove the panel. Good luck.

Samzilla:
I know, I've shopped there before...but there are better places.

Austin519
Old 10-02-2001, 08:24 PM
Banned

On another note...that 600a5 is hard to come by...if ANYONE knows of anyone or wants to sell their Rockford Fosgate 600a5 (not the new ugly 600.5 style) let me know @ austin519@aol.com. Thanks...

Austin519
Old 10-03-2001, 12:43 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Austin, first I'd like to say good luck modding your car. I'm a do-it-yourself person so I wish you the best. However, I read your first long post and I'm kindda lost. Did you say you'll have the system and computer done for less than 1000? If you did, how? the DVD-RW alone is 900.
Secondly, on the DVD and CD players for the PC, I doubt that they could handle bumpy roads and it's hard to find smoothy roads nowaday in Austin where the road constructions keep going and going and going ... anyway, you got the idea.
Third, I've seen and read about cars with computers and I/O ports in door, dash, ect. but the computers are just for tuning the engine and/or sound system which happens once in a while. You are talking about playing DVD and mp3? I've seen cars with PC to play mp3 (the hype faded), however, it's played off the hard-drive and the OS is loaded with minimal drivers so it can start-up and shut-down fast. If you want to play DVD, I believe you have to almost fully load the OS with drivers. How long are you expecting the OS to load and shutdown? Are you gonna drive around with one hand on the sterling wheel and the other on the keyboard or mouse? What kind of wattage are you expecting the computer to consume? Is the alternator sufficent enough to provide the current drew?
My questions are not meant to discourage you. They are just there for you to consider. If you have already considered them, they are just things that I dont understand. Let me know how it goes. I'm really interested.
Old 10-03-2001, 02:25 AM
Banned

Silverknight:
1) Thanks a lot Yes, I did say less than $1000, but not with the computer...it adds another $800 I believe I wrote later. A DVD-RW on eBay routinely goes for $250 now...go check it out.

2) Well, a bit of a combination of things here. Everything is padded extremely well first off. Second, don't go mudding in the car while watching a DVD. Third...I have found ways to incorporate Anti-Skip technology into them (by reading ahead and caching 100 megs or so, so even if you do go mudding they should be fine. The same goes for the hard drives, which are a much bigger worry. On really bumpy trips you'd want to switch out the classic IDE disks for solid state disks.

3) Loading the OS etc...well yes and no. Now, many people out there run Windows 2000 etc. That's what I will run to test it first....however I am currently writing everything in QNX, an RTOS (real time OS), and it can do everything I mentioned before, including DVD and GPS, with minimal drivers...it means I have had to write a lot of code...but it also means that I can fit the whole OS on a 25 meg solid state flash chip, and if I'm not doing anything with mp3's stored, then I don't even have to have any hard drives...and if you want to know...after the boot up screen (10 seconds), the computer is running in 5. No keyboard...all voice activation for typing. The same can be used for a mouse, or more preferably, either a touchpad mounted below the power window buttons or the touchscreen in the dash. A wireless keyboard and mouse will be in the back just in case. The computer consumes exactly 215 watts at full load. what this means, is using P=IV you're looking at about 18 amps (if I'm not mistaken). The alternator will more than likely need an upgrade, but currently puts out enough power for two 800a2 powers and 600a5 power, adding in two Hawker XP70 batteries and 4 Lightning Audio Digital Storm 1.5F caps. At idle the computer takes up only 50W, a little over 4 amps...so yes, it can handle it fine =) (I forget the actual numbers, my calculations above could be totally off or I could have plugged in the wrong numbers, but I specifically selected components for minimal power usage, and can use idle programs that minimize performance for power usage).

I'm not discouraged at all Basically because I've thought of everything you mentioned! If you think of any other challenges that you think need attention let me know, I'd love to get a heads up on problems I haven't forseen before I hit them. But I believe I have handled ergonomics and power thoroughly...which feel like the only two issues with this.

Austin519
p.s. - I will definitely let you know how it goes =)
Old 10-03-2001, 09:03 AM
Instructor

A touchpad for control is definately the way to go... I've seen ppl mount trackballs, keyboard and stuff in weird places... some people have used IR remotes for VCR to control the computers. I guess it all depnds on how much input you need to the computer. I recommend not using any kind of login If you're only playing MP3's and DVD's.. don't need to do much typing. Just point and click!

I am working with the premise that the computer system need as little interaction as possible and keeping with the already simplistic ergonomics laid out in our cars.

I am considering putting a wireless network card in my car... that way I can access the computer in my house and vice-versa when I am close to home. I can handle update, new software, backup, etc that way.

Window 9x/2000 startup/shutdown... you can wire seperate circuits in to keep power to your system when the car is off. Those ciruits will turn off when the computer powers down. But, stripping away the excess driver (or fat) is always good in ANY computer installation. Some mobos have fast-boot bios..... . If you can hack it (no pun intended).... using something other than windows can help greatly..... they are numerous way to tackle the problem of startup/shutdown

Building a computer into a car just to play MP3s? I think that might be a bit of a waste of time..... however, building a computer to play MP3s, DVD, run a GPS.... display dynos and tune your car in real-time? Now that's something worth doing... IMHO

Just my $.02.....
Old 10-03-2001, 02:12 PM
Pro

Never did so much reading in my life!!

Atten: Mr. Hyde:

Please make a rule to limit inquiring posts to 5 sentences or less
Old 10-03-2001, 05:09 PM
Advanced

Hey Austin are you going to sell your current headrests when you get the new ones? I have a 99 TL and if they fit my car, would you be willing to sell them? I've seen type s headrests before and I liked them a lot.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:20 PM
Banned

UFCen2000:
Yeah, touchpad or touchscreen...probably both. I totally am against no login...solely because then they can steal and use your stuff...on top of that...the car only starts when I login. Of course, I login with a fingerprint scanner...so I mean it isn't too terribly difficult. As I said before...voice recognition is always a plus.
I agree with the simplistic nature...or a satanically complex but looks simple (my design). I am going for an extremely low profile as well.
I also would suggest the wireless LAN idea. Depends on what you can afford though for what type. I'm going to start out with a DLink wireless LAN (that's actually what I have now)...but upgrade to a Breezecom LAN (which does a 30 mile radius travelling at up to 60 MPH with NO speed loss....pretty damn good, and pretty damn expensive). I would definitely suggest you put the wireless LAN in, beats having to run a cable out there. But beware of power consumption!
Also...and we've talked about this personally so I don't know if it's worth reiterating...but do a linux or QNX bootup...I REALLY suggest you go look at QNX man...it takes posix like all the good linux-loving OS's...
Also remember what SilverKnight discussed and I replied to...which is shock to the system, cdrw, dvd, hard drives, etc. You have to create a dynamic buffer for each in memory...which therefore needs to be at LEAST 256 megs. And you can't do that in Win9x/2k/XP...only QNX and Linux...

LegendCpeGS:

xjp122x:
Hmm...actually no, sorry. I want new headrests so I can keep the old ones and return the car back to factory one day...however! You're saying your 99 TL headrests fit in mine? Hmm...well if they're black leather I may be interested in purchasing yours ...tell me...are they just a normal, solid box type of headrest?

Austin519