add me to the list of POS TL's...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 01:34 PM
MIA

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
add me to the list of POS TL's...

My poor car....Towed it to the dealership on Friday morning for headlight problems, the SRS and side airbag lights were coming on, and the transmission almost killed me in traffic the other day. Here's what ends up being wrong with it:

Transmission - replacing it under warranty, they did the recall inspection and said not only do I have the problem that they are doing the recall for, but my 3rd gear is shot also

SRS and side airbag lights - hopefully it is because the seats were unplugged by the previous owners of my car, can't find anything actually wrong with my airbags, also fixing this under warranty.

I thought the lug nut was missing from one of my back rims- turns out its not the lug nut but the whole damn stud that needs replacing, was caused by hydraulic wheel tighteners. $130.00

headlights- $550 - driver side (somehow it got cracked, water getting in housing and inverter) $243 - passenger side (housing needs replacing because the adjusters are
stripped) $158 - labor for both lights

Engine Oil leak (where the hell did this come from?!)
VTEC solenoid
$130 +labor

Seat heaters - $620 labor + $120 for heating elements (previously they had just told me to check my fuses)

Total cost (w/out the seat heaters) $1499.43 including labor and tax

ACURA
Old 08-28-2004, 04:30 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you were told to bend over while they seviced your account...from the rear!!
cheez dud, you got owned.

1st post eh, welcome! you'll find a lotta nice people, interesting stuff but i should warn you, you will loose a lotta money just by reading the stuff in this forum!!

what was wrong with the headlights?
Old 08-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i wouldnt blame it on ACURA, id blame it on the previous owner. i have had 158,850 miles with no leaks, and no problems other than the tranny(which does suck)
Old 08-28-2004, 04:53 PM
@ slide or die @

the difference is you take care of your car, his previous owners probably beat the livin **** outa his TL
Old 08-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Greenhorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the SRS light problem, too. Turns out that it was the electronics in the seat belt fasteners. Those have a lifetime warranty, so the repair didn't cost a cent.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:51 PM
El Matador

dammmm, sorry to hear that man. Sounds a bit too much... when did yo buy the car?
Old 08-28-2004, 09:35 PM
MIA

the driver's side headlight would turn on when I turned the lights on but then after about 2 minutes it would start flickering and turn off (Somehow the drivers side headlight lens got cracked and water had gotten into the inverter and inside the headlight casing)...Passenger side headlight was focused to the ground, I couldn't see a foot in front of me with just that headlight on, the headlight beam adjuster was broken so it couldn't be focused right. Turns out the car had been in a couple of accidents that carfax didn't report to me, and the previous owner felt inclined to NOT tell me about. I just got the car in May of this year w/ around 89K on it and paid about 14,000 (too much I know). The guy I bought it from lied to me about a shitload of stuff about the car, good thing I had already looked into buying an Acura and knew it didn't have all this he told me it did. the SRS light was a problem with the seat belt fasteners, they fixed it free.

yeah I would have to agree it is the previous owner's fault about most of the problems, it fuckin cracks me up that the previous owner said he "babied" the car...that explains why the tired were stripped, oil cloths were left under the hood, the seats were unplugged, leather was starting to crack, the back speakers weren't wired together right anymore, the CD player no longer worked, the front fender is separated from the car, the rims are all dented, the oil was so dirty first time I changed it that it looked like it hadn't been changed in about 20,000 miles. It seems like everytime they had a show they must have just ripped parts out and threw other things in and shitrigged the car each time. And another thing, this guy actually owned a mechanic shop and asked me to bring the car to him for all repairs "because he knew the car better than anyone else."

oh, and I'm female
Old 08-28-2004, 10:23 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Were you unable to inspect (or even just see) the car before buying it? Most, if not all, of these problems would've been quite obvious. You need to be careful when purchasing a used car --- even new cars should be inspected before taken off the lot (many are damaged even prior to sale).

Definitely sorry to hear all of the trouble you've encountered so far though... that must be super frustrating!!
Old 08-28-2004, 10:49 PM
@ slide or die @

Originally Posted by alleyesonmeee
the driver's side headlight would turn on when I turned the lights on but then after about 2 minutes it would start flickering and turn off (Somehow the drivers side headlight lens got cracked and water had gotten into the inverter and inside the headlight casing)...Passenger side headlight was focused to the ground, I couldn't see a foot in front of me with just that headlight on, the headlight beam adjuster was broken so it couldn't be focused right. Turns out the car had been in a couple of accidents that carfax didn't report to me, and the previous owner felt inclined to NOT tell me about. I just got the car in May of this year w/ around 89K on it and paid about 14,000 (too much I know). The guy I bought it from lied to me about a shitload of stuff about the car, good thing I had already looked into buying an Acura and knew it didn't have all this he told me it did. the SRS light was a problem with the seat belt fasteners, they fixed it free.

yeah I would have to agree it is the previous owner's fault about most of the problems, it fuckin cracks me up that the previous owner said he "babied" the car...that explains why the tired were stripped, oil cloths were left under the hood, the seats were unplugged, leather was starting to crack, the back speakers weren't wired together right anymore, the CD player no longer worked, the front fender is separated from the car, the rims are all dented, the oil was so dirty first time I changed it that it looked like it hadn't been changed in about 20,000 miles. It seems like everytime they had a show they must have just ripped parts out and threw other things in and shitrigged the car each time. And another thing, this guy actually owned a mechanic shop and asked me to bring the car to him for all repairs "because he knew the car better than anyone else."

oh, and I'm female
wow, you should contact the previous seller and see if you can get some money out of him for lying. Since im venezuelan im not used to bringin charges against people, but look into it...

The headlight flickering is probably a battery/alternator problem, can't be the ignitor nor the bulb otherwise there wouldnt be any light. And the light pointing to the floor is not a problem, there's a thing you turn to adjust where the light points to...it can be adjusted up/down and slightly left/right.

But its alright, suppose after all the repairing and other problems you still endup with a 90k TL you paid 17000for. At worse, you're $3000 long of a fair deal, nothing too bad.
What year, -p/-S, color/paint condition?

Oh, enjoy the car, remember its a sick peace of machinery!

*edit: are you hot?

peace.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:31 PM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Were you unable to inspect (or even just see) the car before buying it? Most, if not all, of these problems would've been quite obvious. You need to be careful when purchasing a used car --- even new cars should be inspected before taken off the lot (many are damaged even prior to sale).

damnnn sorry to hear that...
if the guy does the car "fixed" at his shop... i suggest that you WATCH him do the fixing. who knows what shady techniques he'll use to fix it. oh and, try to have OEM parts instead of some generic aftermarket-ness. hope it'll be less than $1499.43!
Old 08-29-2004, 09:27 PM
MIA

2000 silver. I don't know too much about what its got in it I had them take alot of the extras out like the TV's and all he was asking like 19,000 for the car w/ all that in it...yeah I inspected the car thoroughly I drove it around for 2 days before I bought it, unfortunatly everything seemed to go wrong the week after I bought it. Yeah I'm never lettting that guy work on the car, I do most of the work on it myself or I bring it to the mechanic shop that I've brought all my other cars to, one of my dads friends owns it so I know they won't do anything to mess it up. Acura's fixing it right now thats why its so expensive, but alot of the repairs are covered under the warranty. Most of the problems with it weren't visible, the oil leak had just started so nothing was showing on the ground when the car was parked and the only thing that I had noticed were the seat cracks and the front ground effects messed up and the rims being scratched , all of these I didn't find a problem b/c its all going to get redone eventually. Thanks guys!
Old 08-29-2004, 11:04 PM
Banned

sorry alleyes...u got taken for a ride. better luck next time homie
i went w/certified pre owned and have no probs.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:33 AM
Banned

all i have to say is don't buy a car from a mechanic, he either have no time to take care of it or he bought it fcuk up and fix it for $
Old 08-30-2004, 07:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by REV-01
all i have to say is don't buy a car from a mechanic, he either have no time to take care of it or he bought it fcuk up and fix it for $

thats soooo true