Acurs Tl-s Worst Riding Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 02:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: My Turn

Originally posted by Vffr1
I think Paul has the right to vent also. Most of you are pretty fast on the uptake to flame the unfortunate guy.

I went to purchase a 2003 Type-S myself cause wanted the power and beauty of the car. When my wife, child and I took if for a test drive, I knew immediately that this wasn’t the car for me. The harsh ride had my wife and kid-screaming foul from the start. I opted for the TLP instead, installed some Type-S wheels, and as such, I'm a happy TL owner.

As we all know, he should have figured all of this stuff out during the test ride, but he didn't. I find his post to be appropriate and not out of line at all.

Maybe if we look at this car with a critical eye, we can fix some of the shortcomings of the TL.

Did I say shortcomings? Shame on me,

Mike Smeezy

35% Full Tint
Front Nose Bra
3” Exhaust Tips
17” Type-S Rims
Rear Deck Spoiler
H&R Sport Springs
Anthracite 2003 TL
Well, there's venting and there's just setting yourself up for flames. Why in God's name would someone come to an Acura TL neighborhood, stand in the middle of the street, and yell: The Acura TL-S is the worst riding car of all time!

Even you'd have to admit that one should at least be wearing a flame-proof suit while doing this. Nothing gets people's dander up faster than calling their baby "ugly." And that's in effect what he did -- intentionally or not.

Then, add to that fact, the fact that he was "blinded" by his desire to have 260 horses, which caused him to ignore his other criteria for a good car -- and you have a major case of buyer's remorse (as someone else mentioned). C'mon, somewhere during the research process or the buying process he should have discovered the "shortcomings" of this car and focused his sights on a different car. Instead, he bought the car.

This post should really be titled: Oops, I bought the wrong car! The TL-S' ride is too harsh for me! At least then he'd be admitting that it was his fault... instead of blaming Acura for his bad decision or for "missing" features.

I, for one, hope that the dealership buys back his car. This kind of venting is silly when it can be avoided so easily. Here's a tip for his next car purchase: Tell the dealer you want to drive it for a week before signing the paperwork! If they think you're serious they may let you do it. My folks have done that a couple of times.

Later,

V.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Re: Re: My Turn

Originally posted by vperkins2
Why in God's name would someone come to an Acura TL neighborhood, stand in the middle of the street, and yell: The Acura TL-S is the worst riding car of all time!
Case in point, "Die Hard 3", When Bruce Willis goes into the middle of Harlem with the Sign draped over his body, "I Hate Ni@$%rs", He didn't have such a warm greeting, did he?

I've been quiet the whole time, but really, I can't understand how you would want to pay so much money for a car and not test drive it? Being in the automotive business, even when a customer comes in, I ask them if they test drove the car they are interested in, they say they test drove their friends car, I tell them, "I see, but you didn't test drive this car", and insist that we go for a ride. The test drive is 90% of the sale. Why haggle on price with a customer on a car they don't even know if they will like? My $.02
Ed
Old 08-08-2002, 09:57 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is starting to make my head hurt.
Paul, you got the TL-S, the sport model. You like the power, but its too harsh for you.
Your car is worth more than a TLP, the same car with similar accoutrements, a little less power, and a softer ride.
Take your car back to the dealership, trade your car for a TLP (Test drive it first and see if its a nice enough ride for you). I drove the TLP and I liked it, I thought it was pretty powerful. If you still would like a bit more power, take the extra money you get on the trade in and make it breath a little better... intake exhaust and a chip. While it won't exactly be the same power of a TLS, it will feel and sound a little more powerful than a stock TLP. This should get you closer to where you want to be. Have you driven a TLP yet? I think you might be surprised how powerful they are. Definitely adequate IMO. And it might solve your suspension difficulties. Go drive one... WITH your family.
Like I said before, your gripes regarding the cupholders etc. while important to some, are not that important to the people here. People here like their TL's because they are fun to drive.
Good luck
Old 08-08-2002, 03:21 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A tisket, a tasket, a green & yellow basket

Testes,

I didn't feel that because I expressed some sympathy for Paul's plight makes me intelligent, and that others who don't agree with him are idiots.

What I did gather is that, there are a lot of statements, excuse me, emotional out-burst due to the deep feelings most of us have for our TL's.

If you reread my post, I clearly stated that " He should have figured all of this stuff out during the test ride, but he didn't. "

Now what makes my post intelligent "if you will" is that I don’t go from zero-to-bash in 3.2 seconds.

If you state an intelligent, non-emotional argument when you disagree with Paul, he will most likely think your reply was intelligent too.

It not what you say, it's how you say it!

Mike Smeezy

35% Full Tint
Front Nose Bra
3” Exhaust Tips
17” Type-S Rims
Rear Deck Spoiler
H&R Sport Springs
Anthracite 2003 TL
Old 08-08-2002, 03:29 PM

I Have a Cheap Cure!!!

Paul,

Purchase H&R's OE springs made for the TLP, your car will be lower by about one inch and the ride will be much improved, and you get to keep the 260 bhp.

Old 08-08-2002, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Damn.. this topic is still going???
Old 08-08-2002, 03:45 PM

You Right about That! (use your Mr. T voice)

Originally posted by juniorbean
Damn.. this topic is still going???