Acurs Tl-s Worst Riding Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 06:56 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Acurs Tl-s Worst Riding Car

I have a 03 Acura TL-S that is the worst riding car that I have ever owned. Why did Acura error on the side of hangling and continue to promote this car as a "near luxury car". I am so disappointed with the ride quality that I have written to Acura. (Want to see a copy of my letter, e-mail me at <pls241@earthlink.net>. Think about a "near luxury car" with no compass. no headlight auto on, no daylight running lights, only a 4 way adjustable passenger seat, cup holders for small cups only, a lumbar adjustment that is ineffective, hard, really hard seats and stiff suspension. I bought the car for the 260HP engine and that the sales literature promoted comfort and luxuty. What a great combination. So I thought. Sorry, Acura missed the mark. My 1999 Camaro z28 has more comfort then this car. Acura in my opinion has created a $32,000 tank. Anyone else feel the same way? I am meeting with a Acura rep on the 6th of August and would appreciate any supporting comments.
Paul03
Old 07-29-2002, 07:08 PM
4dr & I like it that way

more comfortable then a camaro? right There's a compass on the nav if u got that and the suspension can hardly be considered stiff. Also I've gotten plenty of large cups into the cup holders, I don't know of any car that has bigger cup holders off hand. And who the hell cares about daytime running lights? What does that have to do with luxury or comfort? I'd like to see you find a car that has more features for the money then the TL.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
sorry but i love my TL... i have a 8 way seat... don't they come eight way???
Old 07-29-2002, 07:12 PM
Ex TL-S owner

I don't hate my car at all. I knew from the start that the ride was going to be a little bit harsh w/the 17's. I've driven a lot of cars and I think the seats are very comfortable. As for quality, I think Acura could've done a little bit better. I test drove the car and I loved it. As far as:

no compass: You should've got navi

No auto lights and DRL's: Since we have HID's I think I would want be to in control. You can't turn em off and on by yourself?

Why did you buy it in the 1st place? Did you test drive it? I think the 2002 TL-P wouldve been more for you (as far as ride comfort).
Old 07-29-2002, 07:15 PM
Ex TL-S owner

Originally posted by KaMLuNg
sorry but i love my TL... i have a 8 way seat... don't they come eight way???
yes it does. I don't know what he is talking about
Old 07-29-2002, 07:19 PM
Safety Car

I'll swap springs and shocks with you if you want a "soft" ride. I got the TL-P.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:27 PM
Suzuka Master

i don't believe this guy...just a troll
Old 07-29-2002, 07:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by CarFreak

yes it does. I don't know what he is talking about
Guys, please read his post carefully - he was talking about the PASSENGER seat, which is only 4-way adjustable.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

At least he didn't complain about the rattling.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:31 PM
Ex TL-S owner

Originally posted by 99TL

Guys, please read his post carefully - he was talking about the PASSENGER seat, which is only 4-way adjustable.
Oh, yeah the pass is 4 way....Driver is 8 In any case, that shouldn't make the car "the worst riding car".
Old 07-29-2002, 07:41 PM
Censored User

Location: Miami - just one day, I would like to drive without getting cut off!
do they allow test driving in PA? I test drove mine and knew what I was getting before I sat down to sign the papers. Now I could see if you didn't like the car after it settled (i.e. the squeaky seats and doors, etc), 'cause you'd have no idea what you were getting, but that's not what you said. It sounds to me that you didn't put much time into forming your own opinion about your $32K purchase. That's your fault. And Besides how do you come to the TL website and say the TL sucks then ask if others agree? Thats "assinine!" Looks like you don't put much time into what you say (write) either.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:43 PM
Instructor

LEAVE TROLL!
:flamer: :thefinger
Old 07-29-2002, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Davediego
I'd like to see you find a car that has more features for the money then the TL.
wham bamm thank you maam
Old 07-29-2002, 08:22 PM
Instructor

totaly agree

much better out there for your hard earned money. Just wait till you have all the squeeks, creeks and rattles, oh then the breaks warp, and then to top it all off the crappy leather cracks and the tranny blows
Old 07-29-2002, 08:28 PM
5th Gear

I see there is a limited number of intelligent people that frequent this forum. That includes some of the moderators who have nothing better to do but call people Trolls. Sorry that some of you can't read and that others have a problem with objective thinking and a limited vocabulary. Perhaps I over estimated what this forum has to offer.
If the shoe fits, get over it.
DAVEDIEGO Yes my 99 Camaro rides bettet and that's a fact. My 99 Olds will hold 2 supersized cups. Featrues...yes, comfort no.
CARFREAK Yes I thought the ride was a little harsh until I took a 800 trip. You are right, I should have spent more time test driving.
bdinc2001 (see paragraph one)
99TL Thanks for the correction on the Passenger seat.

Look, If you have something intelligent to add I would like to hear it. If bashing is your game write to someone else.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:48 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by emeraldTL
totaly agree

much better out there for your hard earned money. Just wait till you have all the squeeks, creeks and rattles, oh then the breaks warp, and then to top it all off the crappy leather cracks and the tranny blows
If you're gonna bash on something bash on your grammar. If you step on a pedal that stops a car you use the BRAKE.

And Paul03, If you think the seats are too uncomfortable lay off the two supersize drinks and maybe you would fit in the seat better. How could you compare an Acura to an Olds????
Old 07-29-2002, 08:57 PM
5th Gear

SSSICK See above, paragraph one.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by sssick

If you're gonna bash on something bash on your grammar. If you step on a pedal that stops a car you use the BRAKE.

And Paul03, If you think the seats are too uncomfortable lay off the two supersize drinks and maybe you would fit in the seat better. How could you compare an Acura to an Olds????
Old 07-29-2002, 09:06 PM
4th Gear

I can't believe the TL-S is the worst riding car Paul03. I drove a TL-S before getting my TL and it wasn't much firmer than my TL. I had also test driven a 99 Z28 and the TL-S is a far better value. You have reliability, power, and comfort. Maybe you can trade it for a regular TL with Navi from the dealer.
The seats are definitly softer and the ride is smoother.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:20 PM
Pro

There is a thing call test drive before buying a car.....

And I rather ride a bike than drive piece of junk Z28 or Olds.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

it's not our problem, it's your own.
don't ***** about it cuz we can't do anything about something you did.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:24 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am sure everyone has their rights of opinions. But I have to disagree with you on this one. I have owned my TLS for more than year now and I can't stop saying good things about it. I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed on your purchase. Like any new car before you buy it, test drive thoroughly. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2002, 09:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Not enough intelligent ppl here? We seem to know more than you do. But if you dont like the car trade it in for something "better" or if you want a loser ride and different seats im sure u could get a even swap for a TL-P for your TL-S if u take care of it. You got some brass Ill give you that, but what were u thinking tell us that our car sucks. Do you think there is a site devoted to hating tl;s? but hey its only my opinion maybe not as sophisticated as your brilliant idea to come here.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Paul, I'm not here to bash so I won't. Since, you bought the Type S model, you knew that it had a sports suspension with sporty seats. Most sport suspensions are not smooth. I think the TL-P would have been a better buy for your money. It has nice comfortable seats and the suspension is nice and smooth. You might think about trading your car in for a TLP. You should go test drive one and see if you like it. If not, spend a little more money and get the Lexus ES300. That car is amazingly smooth and I'm sure you will find the seats a lot more comfortable. However, be prepared to spend another 5000 bucks.

Rosh
Old 07-29-2002, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
How much credibility do you expect when you say that a Z28 with its archaic suspension and solid rear axle has a more comfortable ride than a TL-S??

Two words my friend which everyone else already mentioned "test drive". Sorry you are unhappy with your car, but nothing you complained about was hidden and suddenly popped up; You are complaining about the ride, compass(I have Navi), and features like the power seats and cupholders(although I dont know too many lux cars with super big gulp cupholders). Regardless, these are all things that are readily apparent to anyone who took a test drive or just sat in the car.

Its plain and simple; you may not want to hear it, but the problem is not with Acura or your car, the problem is you didn't do the basics when researching prior to your purchase, and I dont see how any Acura rep can change that or make the situation better.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:04 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

let this thread die... His arguments are groundless and unsupported.

I can't help but think.... DID YOU EVEN TEST DRIVE THE CAR??? duh!?! Next car you buy you shouldn't take the salemans word for it...
Old 07-29-2002, 10:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hrmmmmmmmmmm.... There sure is alot of bashing going on in this thread. :wow: I have to agree that the first moderator jumped on him awfully fast. It seems that any time someone says somthing critical about the TL, people jump all over it. I wont re-state the many known flaws about the TL, most of you have come across them and besides EmeraldTL has listed some, but certainly not all of them.

Here though the guy posted that he thinks the Type S is too harsh a riding car. I totally agree that he should have test drove it more, and given that the Type S is the sportier version, he should have contemplated the ride would not be as soft sprung as the base TL-P. But come on you all, heck this thread made it to page 2 before a helpful comment about negotiating with the dealer to swap the car for the TL-P. While we dont know how many miles the guy put on it already, I doubt he will get the TL-P w/Nav on trade since the car takes a $2k hit when it first hits the pavement (the MSRP cost of the Nav) and besides he's gonna have to eat some responsibility for not buying more discriminatingly.

I just dont think the guy should get blasted right out of the box in these forums for being pissed and venting. He just popped down $34k (after tax) for the car and now he's got post-purchase cognitive dissonance. Its supposed to be about sharing ideas around here. The Good and Bad.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:14 PM
Ex TL-S owner

Originally posted by 2002acuraTL
Hrmmmmmmmmmm.... There sure is alot of bashing going on in this thread. :wow: I have to agree that the 'super moderator' jumped on him awfully fast. It seems that any time someone says somthing critical about the TL, people jump all over it. I wont re-state the many known flaws about the TL, most of you have come across them and besides EmeraldTL has listed some, but certainly not all of them.

Here though the guy posted that he thinks the Type S is too harsh a riding car. I totally agree that he should have test drove it more, and given that the Type S is the sportier version, he should have contemplated the ride would not be as soft sprung as the base TL-P. But come on you all, heck this thread made it to page 2 before a helpful comment about negotiating with the dealer to swap the car for the TL-P. While we dont know how many miles the guy put on it already, I doubt he will get the TL-P w/Nav on trade since the car takes a $2k hit when it first hits the pavement (the MSRP cost of the Nav) and besides he's gonna have to eat some responsibility for not buying more discriminatingly.

I just dont think the guy should get blasted right out of the box in these forums for being pissed and venting. He just popped down $34k (after tax) for the car and now he's got post-purchase cognitive dissonance. Its supposed to be about sharing ideas around here. The Good and Bad.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree w/you to an extent, but he did come off in a bad way from the start. I think if he agreed that he didn't test drive or research the car people wouldn't care as much. It's just that people here did spend a lot of money on their cars and they take pride in it. Remember, this is an enthusiast site
Old 07-29-2002, 10:17 PM
Instructor

anyone have any sugestions for him to help the ride of the car. I have stock type-p shocks and comptech springs and actualy find the ride pretty good despite the rims and tire shaking. I hate this stupid problem I have with my tl vibrates very bad, need to get new rims now from what the dealership tells me
Old 07-29-2002, 10:22 PM
Ex TL-S owner

1) Well maybe he should decrease the tire pressure in his car. When I 1st picked up my car, my tire pressure was above the recommeded.

2) sell your TLS wheels and get TL-P wheels

OR

3) sell your car (cuz there are other things you don't like about the car)

Anyway, good luck.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

getting off the topic for a second, EmeraldTL why are the stock rims shaking just because you gave the car a drop? Pleez explain because i am going to change to HR OE very soon but wasnt planning on buying new wheels.

Back on the topic, you are right out the tire pressure from the factory. I have read many posts about it being sometimes like 40psi+. If he changes out the springs in his car, its only going to make things stiffer. Since he doesnt like the seats either, he could swap them with a TL-P owner (probably very easily ) but by the time he does all this, and has TL-P struts put in, he will have spent more than he would lose doing a swap at the dealer. Of course if he is leasing, thats going to make the whole swap thing even messier.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:28 PM
O.G.

Re: Acurs Tl-s Worst Riding Car

Originally posted by Paul03
I have a 03 Acura TL-S that is the worst riding car that I have ever owned. Why did Acura error on the side of hangling and continue to promote this car as a "near luxury car". I am so disappointed with the ride quality that I have written to Acura. (Want to see a copy of my letter, e-mail me at <pls241@earthlink.net>. Think about a "near luxury car" with no compass. no headlight auto on, no daylight running lights, only a 4 way adjustable passenger seat, cup holders for small cups only, a lumbar adjustment that is ineffective, hard, really hard seats and stiff suspension. I bought the car for the 260HP engine and that the sales literature promoted comfort and luxuty. What a great combination. So I thought. Sorry, Acura missed the mark. My 1999 Camaro z28 has more comfort then this car. Acura in my opinion has created a $32,000 tank. Anyone else feel the same way? I am meeting with a Acura rep on the 6th of August and would appreciate any supporting comments.
Paul03
Like you said, the TL is a near luxury car so don't expect any great handling machine. It was made to deliver a nice and comfy ride while still having the power to pass when needed. I still don't understand how you can say that you are disappointed with the ride quality. Did you even take a test drive? And if you did, were you awake when you drove it or were you too busy scratching your a$$?!! All of your questions and gripes would have been answered if you really did your research of the car before you bought it. BTW, if you knew that the Type-S was going to be a little stiffer then how come you didn't buy the regular TL? But since you said that all you bought this car for was the 260 hp engine then the rest shouldn't matter to you. As far as comfort and luxury, I think the TL did a great job of both! If you really wanted ride comfort then you should have gotten the slow a$$ es300. But wait, you wanted the 260 hp engine.

I am not going to even bother with your z28 comment. How you can say the z28 has more comfort is beyond me.

IMO, stop nitpicking on such petty issues. You can't get any better than what Acura has to offer in its price range.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:37 AM
Advanced

My TL has autoheadlights on and off. If you leave the lights on and remove the key, the lights turn off after 20 seconds. When you open the front door, they turn on again.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Bigmonkey70
There is a thing call test drive before buying a car.....

And I rather ride a bike than drive piece of junk Z28 or Olds.
I second that!!! ...What was wrong with the test drive....
Old 07-30-2002, 07:11 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by 2002acuraTL
getting off the topic for a second, EmeraldTL why are the stock rims shaking just because you gave the car a drop? Pleez explain because i am going to change to HR OE very soon but wasnt planning on buying new wheels.

Back on the topic, you are right out the tire pressure from the factory. I have read many posts about it being sometimes like 40psi+. If he changes out the springs in his car, its only going to make things stiffer. Since he doesnt like the seats either, he could swap them with a TL-P owner (probably very easily ) but by the time he does all this, and has TL-P struts put in, he will have spent more than he would lose doing a swap at the dealer. Of course if he is leasing, thats going to make the whole swap thing even messier.
I have no Idea what happened to my rims everyone is warped and I've now taken it to 2 dealerships to try and get a major shake out and the first shop blamed the tire balancing, (got them to ballance for free as I knew it wasn't the problem) they claim it was fixed. NO. I just got my car back from a 2nd shop yesterday and they did look at everything and told me one tire is bad and my 2 rear rims have flat spots (bends) and that's why it's shaking like that. I left the shop and went directly to the tire shop to get the tire replaced and they tested everything and tell me the 4 rims are warped and that's why the bad ride, but they can't see what the tech is talking about of a bad tire. Now I'm stuck with new 16" tires and need to replace the rims anyways. I can not understand why they warped like that I didn't abure my car, mayber hit a couple of pot holes but nothing too serious and why are all 4 rims warped. (could shops not torquing the lugs cause this?)
Old 07-30-2002, 07:48 AM
Banned

Paul03
I owned a 99 TransAm for a while, and let me tell you it had better interior than your Z28. But it SUCKED compared to any other car.. The Mustangs even had better interior and more comfortable seats!
Old 07-30-2002, 09:31 AM
...and then there was One

I have a 03 Acura TL-S that is the worst riding car that I have ever owned. Why did Acura error on the side of hangling and continue to promote this car as a "near luxury car". I am so disappointed with the ride quality that I have written to Acura. (Want to see a copy of my letter, e-mail me at <pls241@earthlink.net>. Think about a "near luxury car" with no compass can be bought for $1 . no headlight auto on, no daylight running lights just turn them on, and never turn them off - they go off automatically , only a 4 way adjustable passenger seat how many times and how much adjustment do they need over there?? , cup holders for small cups only you can fit a pony keg in the trunk , a lumbar adjustment that is ineffective, hard, really hard seats and stiff suspension. I bought the car for the 260HP engine and that the sales literature promoted comfort and luxuty. What a great combination. So I thought. Sorry, Acura missed the mark. My 1999 Camaro z28 has more comfort then this car. Acura in my opinion has created a $32,000 tank. Anyone else feel the same way? I am meeting with a Acura rep on the 6th of August and would appreciate any supporting comments.
Paul03
Sorry you feel this way. What do you WANT done after seeing the rep? Money back? What other car would fit in the category of: "comfort and luxuty" (your spelling, not mine)?

Oh, another reason people may have given you a hard time is because... you did not post this in the TL-S forum.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by emeraldTL

I have no Idea what happened to my rims everyone is warped and I've now taken it to 2 dealerships to try and get a major shake out and the first shop blamed the tire balancing, (got them to ballance for free as I knew it wasn't the problem) they claim it was fixed. NO. I just got my car back from a 2nd shop yesterday and they did look at everything and told me one tire is bad and my 2 rear rims have flat spots (bends) and that's why it's shaking like that. I left the shop and went directly to the tire shop to get the tire replaced and they tested everything and tell me the 4 rims are warped and that's why the bad ride, but they can't see what the tech is talking about of a bad tire. Now I'm stuck with new 16" tires and need to replace the rims anyways. I can not understand why they warped like that I didn't abure my car, mayber hit a couple of pot holes but nothing too serious and why are all 4 rims warped. (could shops not torquing the lugs cause this?)
You said you have comptech springs, did you do an alignment after you put them on? If not and if you did hit some potholes the damage might have been worse w/out the alignment. That should be at least one of the answers to your situation.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
It's funny, I was glancing at this thread, a customer called me and told me she has a 2003 Mitsu Eclipse GTS, fully loaded, 600 miles, HATES it, she wanna trade it in and get an IS300..She never test drove the car before buying it. I told her before she does anything to come in and test drive the IS first, then we'll talk..
Ed
Old 07-30-2002, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Alexxx

You said you have comptech springs, did you do an alignment after you put them on? If not and if you did hit some potholes the damage might have been worse w/out the alignment. That should be at least one of the answers to your situation.

allignment done only a couple of days later.

Quick Reply: Acurs Tl-s Worst Riding Car