Acura TL-S vs. Other cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 10:29 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura TL-S vs. Other cars

Hi,

I'm buying my first car and stuck on the decision. I have 33k set aside for the car. I've test driven the Acura TL-S and loved it. I'm a big guy: 6' 1", 220lb. so I found the Acura still comfortable. I'm a young guy, looking for something kinda flashy but practical. I usually have 2 other people w/ me on the weekends, so 4 seats is a must. Is there a better car for me that fits the criteria and price? People have mentioned Audi, Infiniti, and Lexus here. I just don't want to be disappointed with the choice I make. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2002, 11:28 PM
Logic

I'm also a big guy (over 6'4") and I'm 255 pounds (from working out), so I have long legs, a long torso, and wide shoulders.

I checked out every other car on the market in the same price range and, other than the fact that the Acura TL offered way more bang for the buck, I fit better in the TL than any of the others.

My decision was based on test drives, word of mouth, and numerous reviews and reliability ratings. The Acura, BMW, and Infinitis all rank way up there on the 'highly recommended and highly reliable' list from magazines and Consumers Report.

When I finally got down to the wire, the base options on the BMW were just total **** compared to the Acura. No standard leather, no metallic paint, etc etc. All of these were $1000+ options that just made the price on the BMW skyrocket to well over $35000 just to get the features where I wanted them.

Another drawback of the BMW for me was the rear wheel drive. I live in Colorado and have to drive through snow a lot, so front wheel drive (or 4) is a must.

The Infinitis don't have as cool of a look or feel to them as the Acura or BMW, but are pretty good with leg/headroom. My shoulders came well over the edge of the seat though, which sucked.

If you want a car that will last you forever, looks good, is very practical, drives well, has great aftermarket options, nice features, and pretty much everything you're looking for, I say go with the Acura.

This is my first Acura and I love every second of driving it.

Test drive every car out there though. Whatever feels right is the car for you.
Old 03-11-2002, 12:46 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to scare you or anything BUT the 5 speed Acura's TL's & CL's seem to be having tranny issues. Now, I have a '99 TL and getting a 2002 TL Type-S and I'm aware of the issue but the TL's are just too nice to turn away. I'm sure the people at Acura will deal w/this issue in the near future (hopefully). If you're concerned about this issue, I say go w/the Lexus GS400. It's [FONT COLOR=red]PIMPED[/FONT]
Old 03-11-2002, 12:47 PM
Racer

lol, ignore the tags! :p
Old 03-11-2002, 01:55 PM
All Hail the Chief

I agree, if you have 33K cash laying around(what do you do BTW, can I get some of the action!), then I would definitely go with a Lexus GS. They are very roomy and the ride is extremely comfortable. One thing I like about it's interior is the high placement of the armrest, very comfortable in my opinion.

You might also want to check out the new MB E-class coming out this summer...
Old 03-11-2002, 02:16 PM
Advanced

Are you looking for Style or handling? If you are more interested in style then Lexus may fit your needs better. The Acura is very low key on the looks. (I think the reviewers have said "bland" or "uninspiring"). What the TL-S brings to the table is features and handling.

As far as practical: I think the quality between Lexus and Acura is pretty equal (I've had 3 Acuras and they have all been rock solid and reliable).

As far as transmission thing: Acura has always stood behind their products and all the comments I have read indicate it is more an issue with cars built before May of 2001.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:49 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I would look at the: TLS,A4,Fully loaded Maxima SE or GLE/I35,and the G35. Each has it advantages and disadvantages and in this price range these are the best choices, unless you want to go new/used!
Old 03-11-2002, 05:01 PM
DHB
Instructor

We just performed the exact same comparison before buying our 2003 TLS last weekend. We owned a 1997 BMW 528i and I know exactly what everyone means when they talk about the "feel" and precision of German cars. Despite that I feel the TLS does a very good job holding it's own against BMW & Audi. All of the test results will bear out the fact that the Audi A4 with the 3.0 engine is significantly slower than the TLS but handling seems to be slightly better in extreme slalom handling in the A4 (but when would you really be driving like that?). If you are going to do a fair comparison against the TLS w/Navi, then a comparably equipped BMW or A4 with a Nav system has to be in the mix. Comparably equipped BMW 3's and Audi A4's will run about 7-10K more than the Acura TLS w/ Navi and there is generally very little negotiating on price. I just priced a comparably equipped A4 3.0 on the Audi web site which had a Base MSRP: $31,390 Price as configured: $39,480. Quattro would have been approx $2000.00 more. This worked out to be about $200.00/month more than the Acura TLS w/Navi on a 36 month lease but if youre paying cash then monthly payment doesn't apply here.

It is also true that the German Luxo-cars do have a few problems from time to time and ours was no exception. Our $45000.00 528i had an annoying little rattle that they could never seem to fix, a sometimes intermittent cruise control, and once it wouldn't crank. Generally speaking however I believe the BMW's and Audi's are superior in quality and handling to all other makes but there is a very significant up-front price to pay for that sometimes subtle difference. I do miss the free maintenance for the first 36 months we had with the BMW (nice touch) but I can also attest to the high cost of routine maintenance once the warrantly expires. We had to do our first front brake job at 37000 miles and it was $600.00! Little did I know that the braking systems of these ultra performance German cars is designed to wear the rotors at almost the same rate as the pads. This means that you almost always have to change the rotors with every pad change and that's expensive! In addition, much of the handling components are made of aluminum. As such they are easily damaged if they are towed improperly by using conventional methods for normal cars. I almost had 1st hand experience on that one were it not for a knowlegable neighbor.

In the final analysis, I felt that the TLS was the best value overall by a wide margin so I got one! Good luck with your decision but you really need to drive them so you can make the best decision for you! Based on the vehicles you are considering, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
Old 03-11-2002, 09:17 PM

OK, I have to go ahead and admit, I'm the same 17 year old from the "TL for Teen" monster thread. I started this to get better advice without the crap about my age and how I should not have the car.

The price of 33k was set by me, meaning the car I choose w/ options cannot exceed 33k (which now excludes BMWs, some Lexus, etc..) Yea, I'd like a car w/ style and will fit my age in some way. Also, this must be a new car (2002/2003). Thanks again guys, I've started yet again, another big thread!

P.S. The TL-S is still #1 on my list (2003 Silver w/o Navi, w/ BodyKit & Spoiler)
Old 03-11-2002, 09:31 PM

A GS 400 certified bub.:smokin:
Old 03-11-2002, 11:08 PM
DHB
Instructor

Geeez! My reply didn't seem that long while I was typing it but now that I see it...... Sorry for such a long post.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:25 AM
Racer

Originally posted by DHB
Geeez! My reply didn't seem that long while I was typing it but now that I see it...... Sorry for such a long post.
haha I'm 17 years of age as well and I would rather get a GS 400 rather than TL but ever since my parents bought me a TL, I have been in love w/it. I support you on whatever car you pick and if you pick the TL, welcome aboard bub. :p
Old 03-12-2002, 09:09 AM
Instructor

My only complaint is the seats, just not that comfortable to me. I'm a short guy 5'7". I took several test drives but they were all kinda short so I didn't realize they weren't as comfortable then. I drive a lot and after extended periods behind the wheel I feel tired.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:24 AM
Racer

I'm 5'6, what you trying to say? j/p :p
Old 03-20-2002, 05:25 PM

Hate to bring back the thread but I'm stuck on three different cars:

Acura TL-S
Ford Mustang SVT
Chevy Camaro Z28/SS

I know the TL-S is WAY different then the others but using www.cartrackers.com (a very cool site!), my specfic criteria brought up all three in the same list! They all have pretty much what I want. Which do you think would REALLY suit me better, I know you all list the TL-S (duh), but I'm a highschool student and not sure if the TL-S would be right. I usually take comfort-quality/preformance sometimes equally. It's a TOUGH decision! I still need to test drive the other two.

-David
Old 03-20-2002, 07:46 PM
Racer

Well, of course if you bring the topic of "Buying a TL?" to this website, of course all of us are going to say the TL. hehe, BUY THE TL-S!!!!!
Old 03-20-2002, 09:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
I got my TL last year when I turned 17 I looked at the BMW 325i it was 34k wit jsut some option that I thought would be std, but its a great car. Lexus IS300 was to small but was a neat car. and the maxima well its a maxima. I got the TL casue of the interior it looks very upscale for a 30k car. people at school where like why the hell did i get a TL and not a sports car, half of there parents drive a TL to that casuesed some to say its a old people car.
I kinda regreated gettin the TL but then i was like WTF its quieter than all the other cars I looked and has way more features. But do look at hte Lexus IS300 5 spd.
Old 03-20-2002, 09:57 PM

Yea, I get the same "old man car" crap from my friends and ricers and my school. I feel the same, it's got better features and quality than most others for the price. I've looked into BMWs, Camaros, Mustangs, Subarus, Infinity, Lexus, and i've stopped here. The TL-S test drive sold me. What do you think I should do in my situation, with the car choice? I do plan to get the body kit, spoiler, and tint the windows, which makes the car more sportier, less old man look
Old 03-21-2002, 07:30 AM
wax
Cruisin'

Exclamation screw 'em

if you're getting that "old man" bull**** from the kids at school, f*ck 'em. once you have the TL-S you'll be pullin' girls in college or older haha. what would you rather have, a sophisticated, fine-tuned automobile like a TL-S, or a jacked up crapped out civic or some other annoying-sounding 4 cyl.? screw the kids at school. you'll look refined. i'm older (25)...and i laugh at the ricers, while i nod and respect people who choose cars like TL-S's. and so do all the girls i know.

if you want more sporty but love the acura, why not get the CL-S? just a thought...

as far as other makes are concerned...i always compared the TL-S with the A4. basically because those are my two favorite cars. for me personally, i'm not THAT concerned about race-like performance. but when it comes down to price....

TL-S: An '03 is going to run you just over 30K, and for your 33K, you should have no problem copping one with Nav.

A4: An '03 (or '02 or whatever the new one is) 1.8T Quattro with all options and the sport package (17" rims, better suspension) is going to run you about $31-32K. I know because I almost bought one before deciding on a TL. My final dealer price was $30,270. Silver A4 1.8T w/all options & sport package.

the reason i wanted an A4 was mainly for the AWD. i mean, i love 'em, but i really wanted AWD because i live up north and winters suck ass.

however, i eventually found a better deal and a more affordable payment cycle on a TL...which is what i'm buying within the next week.

as for beamers and whatnot, i'm not sure. the only ones i've driven hard are 5-series, and i thought they rolled too much, etc. etc. we raced two of them for 16 hours in austria & germany a couple years ago. i liked the handling on both audis and the TL-S better.

i've also casually tested a CLK320, and honestly, i like the TL better. just personal preference. and the width body room for the front-seaters sucks ass in the CLK. opinion again.

not that you wanted to know any of this. but what i'm saying is...if you want a nice, sophisticated and performing auto, get the TL-S. you should definitely be able to afford NAV w/that kind of money. if you want AWD, get the A4.

and i still believe, in the back of my car-prejudiced mind, that beamers and benzes reputations have been jacked by penis-envy punks and preppy *****es who want them solely because of the emblems. Audi and Acura still carry with them subtle sophistication and respect of those who know their cars. and i like that a lot....

good lucks....

-w