Acura TL S V.S Maxima GLE

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by EZZ
Also remember that Lexus IS300 did not meet manufacteror's specs until they tested a broken in car. Besides the disappointing numbers the Q45 had early on in testing, it has met the numbers that Nissan has claimed. Nissan also claimed a 6.28 0-60 on the Altima and it has exceeded these expectations. The G35 is a already a proven car in Japan (aka skyline) so I don't forsee any problems in its performance in the US
I am sure the G35 will be a great car.

Its the best selling sedan in japan. now its availibe in the us.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:15 PM
www.cardomain.com/id/perr

Re: RE: PERRYMAXIMA

Originally posted by Monte TLS,MAX
Well Pery the MAX is mine and the TLS is the wifes, we switch 2 or 3 times a wekk although.
Rub it in rub it in :p
Old 02-18-2002, 10:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: leather

Originally posted by LuxSport

Misinformation is abundant on the net, but look at this. Nissan said the Q45 would do 0-60 in 5.9sec. CarandDriver got the car to do it in 6.0secs and some publication got the car to do it in 5.8secs. But the car did cause some kinda controversy, and now you say Infiniti has a history of such. One car equates a history?
Indeed, one case of an exaggerated performance claim does qualify as a history. More than one case would qualify as a reputation. I did choose my words appropriately, but thanks for the complimentary grammar check.

As a note, I'm not sure if C&D did get the Q45 to do 0-60 in 6.0sec, let's say they did somehow magically coax the speed out of it that day. Regardless, I remember several car mags saying that they couldn't get it anywhere near the claimed 5.9 seconds. They booed Infiniti for their deceptively optimistic advertising.
Infiniti desperately wanted to advertise a sub 6 second 0-60 time, even if it involved a little bit of truth bending.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:40 PM

I have already SLAPPED myself for responding to this OLD, REPEATED, DUMB, ABUSED, OLD, RAPED, THREAD.

THe !@#$% thread starter asked the question, then his only other post is "I'm in Montreal".

USE SEARCH, GO BACK, LOOK!!!

I let loose on the last G-35 vd TL-S thread and now Maxima (again) vs TL-S.

Go to your local bookstore and READ!
Old 02-19-2002, 12:45 AM
Racer

I have had lots of Maximas (liked them a lot) and a few Infiniti's, and I now think that Nissan is getting more and more fugly on design and cheap on build beacuse of their $$ issues, just my 2 cents.

3nd gen Maxima's (4DSC) where more than great for their time, 4th gen was a good performer, and the latest 255Hp is nice also (should have came out in 2000 though), but I hear ist a one year car to be replaced by something else soon, as the Altima is in its size and performance speca now.

I like the Acura for the resale value (look at the legend), for not changing their cars totaly every year making yours crapy and old , and for the clean lines and no love or hate styling and you just got to have that ind. rear. The mini van rear on the maxipads are choppy on imperfect roads, and just plain outdated but cheap to use, as is many of the platics they are getting into now. Bla. \

I'll be back to see where they pick up after the new Z.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by typeSmaximum
I have had lots of Maximas (liked them a lot) and a few Infiniti's, and I now think that Nissan is getting more and more fugly on design and cheap on build beacuse of their $$ issues, just my 2 cents.

3nd gen Maxima's (4DSC) where more than great for their time, 4th gen was a good performer, and the latest 255Hp is nice also (should have came out in 2000 though), but I hear ist a one year car to be replaced by something else soon, as the Altima is in its size and performance speca now.

I like the Acura for the resale value (look at the legend), for not changing their cars totaly every year making yours crapy and old , and for the clean lines and no love or hate styling and you just got to have that ind. rear. The mini van rear on the maxipads are choppy on imperfect roads, and just plain outdated but cheap to use, as is many of the platics they are getting into now. Bla. \

I'll be back to see where they pick up after the new Z.
When was the last time you were in a Maxima? I own a 2002 and I can tell you and so can other TL/TLS owners the interior quality is on the same level as your TL. It annoys me when people make assumptions on the Max's interior. It is on par with other 25-30K cars and that is very well known. You are entitled to your own opinions as far as looks , which are subjective but if you haven't experience the 5th gen interior than don't make general assumptions because there are people on this board that may view your opinion as true.

The TL has had just as many changes over the years as the Maxima that is nothing new I like that a car company is willing to give the customer what they want.

TL
99 TL 4spd auto
2000 TL 5spd w SS
2001 No changes
2002 TLS

Max
2000 New model
2001 Ann. Editon
2002 255 HP and 6spd
Old 02-19-2002, 09:24 PM
Pro

i agree with perrymax. both the max and tl interior are similar quality wise.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by PsyKotiC RydeR
i agree with perrymax. both the max and tl interior are similar quality wise.
I think it is that principle by with some people would say a glass was half full and another person would say a glass is half empty. We aren't comparing apples to oranges here the car are very simular in just about every way. They just have different names and we are tring to analize them down to the number of strands in the stiching in the leather or how much more or less vinyl one uses over the other. Lets face it they are both very nice cars packed with value and to those that can't afford, or find a 5series, GS, A6 Sclass...etc pratical they are the best thing since slice bread. Does it really have any point to try and figure out or justify which is better?
Old 02-19-2002, 11:51 PM
Racer

Exclamation

Hey Perry, you shouldn’t make the assumption that I’m assuming. I’ve had many maximas and know more about them then the far majority. So get steamed if you want.

Reading my post, I see no direct statements on interior quality or comparing that aspect directly to the TL? I was stating that over all “Nissan” is moving to cheaper plastics then they used to have. Don’t believe me, research some of their “new” suppliers and compare the grades of plastics Nissan used to use to cheap stuff they buy now on their new budgets.

Last time I have been in one, or better yet owned one? Yea, really long time ago. Try a 2001. I've also had a 3rd gen, a 95GLE, a 97SE, a 2001 I30T….should I continue?

Posters and visitors can read what I post as true with only appearance and feel as objective or simply judge for themselves. You don't have to protect them.

1) Nissan has money issues, was bought by Frenchies and in their control and thus is changing cars rapidly to changes its market stance on already poor resale value cars compared to Acura or Honda even. They don't care about you, they need to get out of the RED fast. I'm not talking updates, all car companies do that, but an all new engine in 2000, another new and larger engine in 2002, whole new car in 03? See what I mean? This does not help resell. Nissans are the best deals when bought used! Look at the prices of 01 Maximas and you will see what I mean!!!

2) The new 255HP Maxima is a make shift model of the previous Maxima due to the new Altima with an engine half the Nissan lineup now shares to save money. They aslo added a few note worthy updates (HID, NAVI…) but entire car will be phased out before you even make a dent on interest in your payments as the Altima is taking the sport the maxima now sits in. What’s that law, can’t occupy the same space at the same time? At least not if they are smart, or they want to compete with their own models.

3) Nissan Service really really really sucks! 9 out ot 10 at Maxima.org will agree. My Acura dealer is very nice on the other hand.

4) The beam rear suspension is cheaper to produce then an independent unit such as the one on the TL. It does save packaging space, and handles equally on smooth test track surfaces, but has much more of a coppy bouncy feel on real world imperfections, and also does not appreciate a rear sway bar and lowering kit as well as far as the effects on ride quality go.

5) Its my opinion that the Maxima is now a overgrown bobble with a butt of the New Dodge Neon looking A$$, and silly huge eurpoeen Nissan badges.

Happy now? Do I hate them, no? Why would I have bought several? Do I think the TL-S is a overall much better product having had both? YES, YES and YES, so does my wife.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:33 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

1) Nissan has money issues but they made a NET PROFIT of 2 billion last year. The Altima is already a sales success (especially compared to the last model) and I'm betting so will the Z.

2) They will never let go of the Maxima name....it has been Nissan's flagship and bestseller for so long that it would be not be a wise decision. The new Maxima will be based on a stretch platform of the Altima and will have an introduction in 2003 as a 2004 model (my friend works for NDI).

3) My Nissan dealer rocks. It's the independent dealer that is good or bad.

4) IRS is better but the beam isn't all that bad. I can live with the beam if the performance numbers are good.

5) Acura TLS is a nice car. I went to the auto show and loved sitting in it (better interior) However, I'm scared of the possible tranny problems associated with it. You can tell me all you want about how only 1% of all the members on this board have tranny problems but I still have my doubts.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:54 AM
Racer

Most Nissan dealers and service departments do suck, ask people at maxima.org. I'm glad your's doesn't, really. Its good to know there are a few that still care. Where are you located at?

Never said they would drop the Maxima name, by phased out, I mean totaly different car, you are right, it will become a large land boat.

Everyone knows Nissan was about bankrupt, they are in fact in the black now, but not sure by two billion as far as "net profit". You got me there if you researched that amount, but I think it was also made by cutting corners, lowering costs, closing plants, and sharing more parts/engines. I should have said "had" money problem, instead of has, but then again, its not over yet. Their past issues is what has created the new focus is what I am saying. I also never said the Altima wasn't a sucess or that Nissan can't sell anything, we are talking about the Maxima here, which Nissan plans to sell less of because of the new Altima.

Again, I don't hate Nissan, they just got really messed up and off track for a while to me, and I hope they find it again wit the return of the Z! This is getting way OT, but the Sentra V Spec for example is not as hot as the hype was, and the plastic in that interior is far worse and hard feeling then say a Civic of lesser value, and 6spd is horrible compared to say that of the RSX. I hope with the New Z, the new Altima, the Coupe version of the G35 will all bring the good and real performance back to the number one name plate in Japan.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:10 AM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by EZZ
However, I'm scared of the possible tranny problems associated with it. You can tell me all you want about how only 1% of all the members on this board have tranny problems but I still have my doubts.
Realize that most of the people here are car enthusiasts: they modify their cars and occasionally (and sometimes more often than that) love to take the car to it's limits. Then there are those of us here that have no significant mods (too poor, going to college, etc.) and visit this site for fun and information. Finally, remember that the majority of TL/TL-S owners are not even on this forum (too old, too busy, or just don't know about this site). Given all that, I would say the tranny problem chances are very remote. This is how I decided on the TL-S even after reading the forums for a year and sifting through people's problems. The sample of people here is not significant enough for people to conclude much because it is a biased sample (usually younger people, tech savvy, with a little free time, and money).
Old 02-20-2002, 08:30 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by LuxSport
The '02 Max SE 6spd will smoke a TL-S
The '02 Max GLE auto(4spd) will barely win if that. (real close race)
The '02 I35 auto(4spd) will lose by a little to a TL-S
The '03 G35 auto(5spd) will beat a Tl-S

The I35 auto is slower than a Max auto because it shifts smoother and slower than the Max. The G35 has a 5spd auto and RWD. Which is car is better??

I would buy the G35 since it is new and has a 5spd auto, campared to a 4spd auto in the Maxima, but the Max is available with a 6spd with limited slip. The TL-S is pretty damn fast though. I wouldn't buy the TL-P because of that fake leather.
Nice opinion. I still haven't seen a Maxima Auto time from any mag that shows it runs with the TL-S much less "beats" it. The severe trouncing the TL-S gives the I35 says it better shift very fast indeed! (it needs to make up .7 seconds by 60 no easy task for essentially the same transmission. Everything I've seen so far says you're wrong.

G35 is also still an unknown. We'll see. I can't wait to have my well-broken-in TL-S next to one at a light. Giddy-up!

Gracious of you to have the I35 Lose "by a little". .7 to 60 is being "beat" without the "by a little" disclaimer. To beat the TL-S by that same "little" you'll need to be in the mid 5 seconds...
Old 02-20-2002, 10:11 AM

I know I'll get flamed for this but...who really cares what car is faster ? I mean, what pleasure does one get from beating another car ? It doesn't guarentee sex, you most likely won't get rich from it, and it doesn't make you better than someone else. There are billions of Civics that would smoke most any car out there, yet the very same people that brag about how fast their car is, are the same ones who get trounced by said Civic only to justify it by saying "well, yeah, but my car's nicer " Now don't get me wrong, anyone that takes it to the track is most likely heavilly modded or just curious, but the ones on the street are just begging for a ticket or an accident. And save me the "although I'm only 16, I'm a professional racer" crap, even if you went to racing school, I'm pretty sure they don't expect you to take what you learned out onto the highway. I think what's worse are the ones who beat the $hit out of their car then blame Acura for rattles and tranny failure, because even though they put a high performance engine in, I don't think they expect you to do brake stands and drop it at 6500rpm's. It's one thing to want a fast car, but it's another thing when it defines who you are and where you now stand in the class structure because of it. Sorry to vent, but this is just getting old IMHO.

Old 02-20-2002, 10:27 AM
Racer

Actually, Ted, that's a REALLY good set of points you've raised. Well said!

And I for one feel like the TL-S/Maxima point has been discussed ad nauseum. Why does this thread actually have momentum? It's the same people raising the same points that you can find on a dozen previous threads!
Old 02-20-2002, 01:48 PM

Finally, no one truly GIVES A DAMN which one is faster a Maxima or TL-S, they are sporty family cars, not Ferraris.

Let's talk about where controls are placed, space, features tat stuff.

Some of ya'll REALLY NEED that Z28.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Good Points Ted and SC. This thread is now