Acura, the crappiest Luxury car maker?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 10:33 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura, the crappiest Luxury car maker?

get a load of this ****, somebody told me today that the TL was the worst lux car built. This idiot went on to explain how the transmissions blew out (i didn't know how to defend that so I didn't argue that with him) and he said our HIDS were cheap, I said, then why did Acura put them standard on the TL, where they are a $500 option on the 3 series, Infiniti, etc. They said that Acura just copies all the other car makers, so I basically told him in some aspects maybe, but the TL is an original work of art. Then he said that it was the same car as the Accord, (he did say es300 was camry, I30 the maxima) and I suppose he was right in terms of the chassis, but there are several advancements on the TL that I went on to tell him about. He just rambled on about how the TL is an old womans car, and I had no business driving one. That just really made me angry, and I thought I'd tell all you guys about it. In the end though, some of his own friends told him that he had no clue what he was talking about, and I personally believe he is jealous of my TL, he currently drives a Geo Metro. So, how do I defend the transmission story? had no clue where to go on that one.

-Ryan
'99 TL w/o Navi
Satin Silver
Old 11-14-2002, 10:35 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
what do you care what he says?
Old 11-14-2002, 10:37 PM
Comptech Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol
he's just bsing.....

i found that our TL has the best resale value in the class...compare with ES300 and I30...
can u beat that??
Old 11-14-2002, 10:51 PM
Burning Brakes

as long as you kno wut u've got, iss all good...there are always ignorant/jealous people out there...
Old 11-14-2002, 10:59 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

yea really... someone keyed my I30 and cost me $1100 worth of damage... then painted all over this poor girls porsche, i'm guessing it was pretty tough getting it off the soft top!
Old 11-14-2002, 11:21 PM
Intermediate

well the guy was right and wrong, the tl is a nice car i had one, but the tranny problem has to go. comet get in my S4, take it to 150 mph on the freeway and you will see the light.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Acura, the crappiest Luxury car maker?

definitely seems like a jealous guy... if hes driving a geo metro, he definitely jealous...

in ur defense just state that u cud by 6geo metros with the resale value of ur TL and then tell him to cram his metro up where the sun dont shine
Old 11-15-2002, 12:02 AM
Racer

he's just jealous...i mean he drives a geo metro...lol..
Old 11-15-2002, 12:06 AM
Advanced

Re: Acura, the crappiest Luxury car maker?

Originally posted by Comet2404
he currently drives a Geo Metro.
Yes, I agree. Why do you even care what he says? For ppl who diss my car, I always say "When your car costs as much as mine, THEN you can diss it!"

Stupid po' ass freak!
Old 11-15-2002, 12:15 AM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Re: Re: Acura, the crappiest Luxury car maker?

Originally posted by Eternal TL2k3
and then tell him to cram his metro up where the sun dont shine

LOL, thats about the funniest thing I've heard all day.

DRTL - I've driven the S4, my father had one, and I love that car. But its "too much of a car for me" according to him! But, I almost purchased an A6 Quattro, instead of the TL, but I decided I liked the acura better.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:32 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:flamer: dumb ignorant jealous mother-fvcker!

Can you tell I hate people like that.

For future references, just ignore the fool.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:44 AM
Pro

Invite him to race your crappy lux car with his ride for $1000. When you win, get him a set of blue LED nozzles for his Metro.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:19 AM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DRTL
well the guy was right and wrong, the tl is a nice car i had one, but the tranny problem has to go. comet get in my S4, take it to 150 mph on the freeway and you will see the light.

An S4? haha. Try my M5
Old 11-15-2002, 07:28 AM
Instructor

Do you like your TL?
Yes?
Then who gives a sh*t what anyone else thinks?!

Some of my friends think my car is "old" for a 26 year old, and others think it's bad ass.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:44 AM
Racer

Yeah..Ithink that guy is a total idiot...
Probably jealous because he cant afford to buy a TL..
or anything else for that matter..
Tell him to sh*t-up and get back on his pregnant skateboard, the next time...;-)
J
Old 11-15-2002, 09:09 AM
Burning Brakes

my mommy said that if you ignore them long enough, they'll get bored and eventually go away (Geo whatever and all)
Old 11-15-2002, 09:11 AM
Pro

tell him you really wish you had a Metro too
Old 11-15-2002, 09:32 AM
yeah i'm bored.

i hope you kicked him in the nuts.

es300 = camry
i30 = maxima
tl-s = bad a$$ mo-fo!!
Old 11-15-2002, 09:45 AM
Bada Bing

The Geo Metro doesn't have enough power to have a tranny problem. However you could inform him that if he put his car in neutral and you push it you'll run faster 1/4 mile times than his car will under it's own power.:p
Old 11-15-2002, 10:44 AM
Safety Car

Everyone is entitle to their own opinion. I get compliments everytime with my TL and when they ask how much I paid for it, their eyes just lit up thinking it's a $40k+ car.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:57 PM
Racer

TL have Osram HID bulbs...watz so bad about them??? they're German for god sakes!
Old 11-16-2002, 11:23 AM
Racer

No matter what car you own, people will always hammer you. Drive a ferrari and people will tell you you could have bought 5 other sports cars for the same price.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:31 PM
Instructor

I am not going to listen to any craps from someone who drives a Geo Metro about the quality of Acura. Where is Geo Metro now
Old 11-16-2002, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Don't take this the wrong way, but I somewhat agree with the statement "Acura, the crappiest Luxury car maker." Taking this at face value, I don't think Acura is quite at the same level as Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, and (maybe) Infiniti in terms of luxury and quality. In my family, we used to have a '88 Mercedes 190E and currently own a '96 Lexus LS400 and a '98 ES300, in addition to my '99 TL. When comparing these 4 cars, my TL has been by far the most disappointing. IMHO, the build quality doesn't come close to that of the LS400 or even the ES300, which is more comparable in class and cost. I have numerous rattles and squeaks coming at me from seemingly every angle of my TL. Both Lexus' feels more "refined" and I have received more compliments driving the ES300 than my TL.

Obviously, it's not fair to compare my ~$30K TL to a ~$60K LS400, but this is my mentality. Acura intends for its flagship RL to appeal to the LS400 and Q45 market, but it doesn't stand a chance. No matter the category, it doesn't appear the RL comes close in terms of performance and exclusivity, which I think are the key points of concern for this segment.

I apologize in advance if my remarks are offensive to some on this forum. But that's just my 2 cents based on my experiences with a few of the other luxury car makers. And note how I didn't even go into comparing Acura with BMW and Mercedes. Again focusing just on the luxury aspect, there simply is no comparison. Acura trails the Germans by a large margin.

Let the flaming begin!
Old 11-16-2002, 04:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Let's just say that the only thing he has with his metro over our cars is a smaller gas tank and a lot more miles to put on per tank of fuel!
Ed :p
Old 11-16-2002, 05:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

The only thing "cheap" about the our HID's may be the fact that they are not "self-leveling".
Old 11-16-2002, 06:23 PM
Racer

Hmm.. I disagree with the quality thing. Ive been in most of the compeditors and there are plus's and negatives to them all yet the Acura seems to come out with more +'s in my books. My boss drives a 2001 M5 and I still prefer my interiour. My brother and sister in law have owned proabably 5-6 Mercedies and these are the cheapest cars I have ever been in (1,2 and 3 series).

Old 11-16-2002, 07:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

He has an f-en geo metro, he has no place, smack that biotch
Old 11-17-2002, 11:52 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

I thought all HIDs were self-leveling.... or was that just Lexus? Anyways, a funny point I thought I'd make about the Geo Metro, was that I think my bicycle tires are as wide as his on his car.... I am not sure about the quality thing. I forget who said this, but they said that they prefer the interior of the TL over the M5... I happen to agree, my mother has a 540, which is probably quite similar to the M5, and I prefer my TL.

-Ryan
'99 Satin Silver TL w/o Navi
Old 11-18-2002, 12:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

shudnt this be on the Off Topic section of the forum?
Old 11-18-2002, 08:46 AM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you serious? A guy driving a Geo Metro is talking shiet about the TL and on top of that he is talking shiet about Acura in general? hmm...Well in that case, Ask him to race your "family" car in his geo metro. And then, ask him how much his car is worth? How much you got it for? Look on the bright side, you have twic as many cylinders as him (Geo Metros, I believe came with 3 cylinders, thats right 3 cylinders...well at least the first ones did). That guy is funny...don't listen to him...You should have laughed in his face and really make his feel stupid.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:49 AM
9th Gear

Talking GEO? HERE LITTLE GEO, GEO

TOYOTA USED TO MAKE A LITTLE DOG NAME GEO !!
FIRST OF ALL SOME ONE WHO ONLY READS THE PAPER AND NEVER EVEN SMELL GOOD LEATHER HAS TO BE BORED WITH HIS MOUTH. YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED HIM WHICH LUX CAR IS HIS FAVORATE. I BET HE WILL TELL YOU SOMETHING LIKE A CHEVY LUMINA. I MEAN THAT WOULD MAKE SENSE TO THE LITTLE IDIOT BECAUSE THAT WILL BE AN UPGRADE FOR HIM.
OR MAYBE HE'D TRY TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX A LITTLE BY SAY LINCOLN LS!!! ASK HIM IF HE KNOWS HOW MANY TIMES OUR HAS BEEN COMPARED TO THE 3 SERIES AND THE MERCEDES C?
IN EVERY MEETING OUR CAR ALWAYS BEAT THE C AND CAME CLOSE TO THE 3 SERIES. HOWEVER, IN TERM OF VALUE AND LUXERY WE ARE RIGHT THERE WITH THE 3 SERIES, WE EVEN BEAT IT IN VALUE. SO WHAT IF THEY USE THE ACCORD'S PLATFORM TO MAKE THE TL? YEHA WE KNOW ABOUT THE LUXERY MARKET TOO, LIKE INFINITI=NISSAN, LEXUS=TOYOTA.
DID HE ALSO KNOW THAT THE A4 IS VW JETTA? OR THE A6 IS A PASSAT? WELL IF HE DID NOT KNOW I HAVE A FEW FOR HIM SO HE CAN DO HIS HOMEWORK RIGHT.
THE AWSOME ASTON MARTIN HAS BECOME A FORD. YES..
FORD=JAGUAR, ASTON MARTIN, LINCOLN LS, LAND ROVER, MASDA, VOLVO AND WE KNOW ABOUT MERCURY.
GM=CADILLAC, BUICK, SAAB, SATURN, OPEL, HUMMER, PONTIAC, OLDSMOBILE WHICH IS ON THE VERGE OF BEING KILLED. ISUZU, SUZUKI AND SOME OTHER INTEREST.
DC=MERCEDES BENZ, CHRYSTLER, DODGE, JEEP.
SO NEXT TIME SOME IDIOT WANNA SH*T ABOUT YOUR RIDE TELL HIM YOU ARE NOT IN THE BESINESS OF TOSSING SALAD.. WELL UNLESS YOU ARE...LOL. JUST JOKING BUDDY.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

no, the tl headlight doesn't have autoleveling. in fact i don't think any acura has that. lexus, bimmer, audi, they all have it.

yes the seats in tl are more comfortable, but depending on where you see it, the 5 series seats are a lot sportier. the m5 seats are very sporty, but very stiff and hard. if you wanna drive fast, seriously the seats on the tl is a nono

Originally posted by Comet2404
I thought all HIDs were self-leveling.... or was that just Lexus? Anyways, a funny point I thought I'd make about the Geo Metro, was that I think my bicycle tires are as wide as his on his car.... I am not sure about the quality thing. I forget who said this, but they said that they prefer the interior of the TL over the M5... I happen to agree, my mother has a 540, which is probably quite similar to the M5, and I prefer my TL.

-Ryan
'99 Satin Silver TL w/o Navi
Old 11-18-2002, 02:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by UA5-TL
TL have Osram HID bulbs...watz so bad about them??? they're German for god sakes!
and they are the second largest hid oem right behind philips
Old 11-18-2002, 02:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

well here's my take. i hardly care less about what people think about my cars. i bought my car for myself, i mod my car to enjoy it myself. people like it? cool, i am glad. people don't like it? sure, it's not their car to begin with.

the tl is a nice car, i have no doubt about it. i always tell people for the money you can't get a better car than the tl, it's just that much value for the money. it's fast, smooth, comfortable, a sense of luxury, class.

tl is base on accord? yes. so is es300 on camry and i35 on maxima. so what? we are talking about the base for the chasis, it's not like the tl is accord wraped in leather. if people can't even distinguish the difference between two cars based on the same chasis and two cars being the same, they probably should have their licence suspended. for the record, if one car base on another one is that important, then let me tell you. the is300 is BASED on the lexus gs platform, so how are you going to judge that?

and so bimmer and mb they don't have their "sublings", so what? it's just they don't have the power or willingness to capture the economical market out there. honda, toyota, nissan, and vw they are smart enough to play the game well imho.

but to be fair, i have to say, it's true that acura is probably one of the last among all true luxury brands. i am talking about audi, bimmer, mb, lexus, acura, infiniti, etc... i would say acura is in the entry level luxury league. it's definitely a lot better than honda, toyota, etc... but compared to the real big dogs up there they are still short by quite a bit.

i have gs400 and tls, and i have driven bimmer and mb. the built quality of the tls is definitely the worst among all in general. keep in mind i said in general. for example leather the ones on acura is very nice. but when you talk about everything (engine, leather, trim, noise, solid, etc...) it still have a lot of room for improvement. i myself would want a car built solid and good overall, and from that perspective, lexus is definitely winning.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:01 PM
Cruisin'

The Germans have their sublings too!

If you look at the actual German BMW's, Mercedes' and Audi's they sell in Germany, you will find a different picture. In addition to the models they sell here, they sell some stripped down versions in Germany, with smaller 4 cylinder motors (some are diesel), not as nice interiors and plain tires, steel wheels and hub caps. They don't sell those here because the competition in this area would be to much from the cheaper American cars and it would also "tarnish" their luxury image here.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:13 PM

Well for one, Acura as a brand is not really taken as a luxury car maker. A nice car maker but not a luxury car. So the TL has to fight that battle before it's own.

Acura offers.
RSX
TSX
TL
CL
RL
NSX

Not exactly a luxury line-up. Great cars for the $$ is Acura's selling point, as well as Honda owners moving up.
They don't sell those here because the competition in this area would be to much from the cheaper American cars and it would also "tarnish" their luxury image here.
Great point. They used to. The 3 had a 4 cylinder for years. The C-class still offers a 4. The ES 300 and I30/35 always offered a 6, the IS 300 also. The Tl a 5/6, now a 6 only. GREAT point dude.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:42 AM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
well, BMW did bring over that 318
Old 11-19-2002, 11:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fahoumh
well, BMW did bring over that 318
318Ti :yack: