Acura 3.20 TL Type S or I35 or G35?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 11:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MedicSonic

No one questions that the TL series is not a good value, but at that point, the Sonata is a much better value. Leather, a V6, blah blah blah for 17K. I am in no way bashing Acura or the TL in particular, but come on. Pretty much every thread has someone posting about its 'percieved image'. Don't know about you , but last time I checked, the Acura and Infiniti were not in the same 'group' as the Lexus, Audi, Merc or BMW are. What 'percieved image are we talking about here?

Oh, and samkws, while a 5 speed auto is commendable, it really isn't too impressive. Kia's and Hyundais come with them now. And Xenon? Option on Nissans. Not really enough to separate cars 'classes' anymore.
it's actually standard on the maxima now, the HIDS, and a HORRIBLY geared 5-spd auto don't mean squat to me.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by samkws
we are not buying our TL because of its acceleration...coz u can't find a BETTER CAR, i repeat, A BETTER CAR with its price...show me the xenon and 5spd auto standard...if u can find any...with 28k...

at 26k, i can get a camero or mustang and smoke ur ass...talking about pure acceleration...maybe i can even get a nos and jet to 180mph...is that what u want?

G35 would be close to TL-S...but God knows who's faster before it comes out
I must agree with you about tl beging the best car availible RIGHT NOW for 30k. But in reality that won't be true came april-may when the G35 comes out. You would have to be lieing to yourself if you don't agree with me.

Like i said before i will put money where my mouth is when i say the G35 will smoke the tl-s. Why: simple logic.
You have 2 cars with the same hp.
U take the car with 1)more torque, 2)weighes less 3)has a sports suspension 4)rear wheel drive. oh yeah i know weight distribution does nothing for acceleration but u gotta throw in near 50/50 weight distribution just for kicks.

Its just so funny to see you tl-s owners constantly saying that the G35 will not be faster than the tl-s even though all the facts are there. But yet none of you will put money where your talk is, like i have done.

I hear the same crap about it not being out yet. numbers don't lie.
Its alright though, it will be only a month or two before figures comes out to shut sam up. Then i am sure he will have another excuse.

Sam please don't bring up the camaro thing again. We have beet that subject like a dead horse. The G35 is in the same extry luxury sedan class as the tl-s, camaro does not apply. The G35 is not a sports car and not strictly horsepower.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:09 PM

Lets just cut to the chase

Sam,

We have bounced posts back and forth at each other for a while now. We all know you despise and hate the G35.

Maybe you are pissed off cuz you recently bought the TL-s before word got out of the G35. I mean i almost bought the tl-s mid december from park ave acura. Sh!t i would be kicking myself also if i had made the purchase before having the oppurtinity to scope out the G35

I say you go ahead and trade in your tl-s for the G35 when it comes out and end the envy and hatred you have. I am sure u will get a reasonable trade in for you tl-s. And then you can say that you have the fastest sedan for 30k

And No i am not bashing the TL-s. I have mentioned many times and will say it again. THE TL-S IS THE BEST CAR RIGHT NOW FOR 30K. I must admit i am leaning towards getting a G35 but if the test drive doesn't go well i may be a TL-s owner like the majority here.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:30 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Isn't the 2k2 Max faster already
Old 01-29-2002, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by EZZ
Isn't the 2k2 Max faster already
yes i ran 14.3's in mine
Old 01-29-2002, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Webologist

But not enough to fill the number of car lengths the TL-P would put on the i35...
That a good one but I really dont think The TL-P is faster than the I35........mabey you ment I30?

I35:
0-60: 7.0 sec
1/4 mile: 15.2 sec

November 2001 Motor Trend

TL-P:
0-60: 7.6 sec
1/4 mile: 15.9

Edmunds.Com June 2000
Old 01-29-2002, 12:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by KP117

That a good one but I really dont think The TL-P is faster than the I35........mabey you ment I30?

I35:

TL-P:

Edmunds.Com June 2000
and we have auto 2k2's running 14.7's too
Old 01-29-2002, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
A loaded 3.5SE Altima is 28k, a TL 3.2 TL-P is 28k....

THE TL please!
TL-P: $29,650.80
3.5SE Altima: $26,535.00

TL-P:
0-60: 7.6 sec.
Altima:
0-60: 6.3 sec.
GS430:

Edmunds.Com June 2000

1lexi: U sure you still want to take the tl-p.

Who are we trying to fool anyways. All car suck compared to Lexus. Why buy a tl-p for 29k or a altima for 26k when we can put the money together to buy a gs400 for 55k. Although the altima and the g3430 has the same 0-60 time, the lexus has much better leather interior by far. wink wink

Muaaahaaahaaaha.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:08 PM

Unhappy

Huh, I do not understand your logic?

I understand mine, I did not buy the GS for FAST. First I loved the styling. I KNOW from previous experience the reliability and the cars are bulletproof (cause I drive em hard). I wanted a decent sized cabin, and I wanted it to similar in size to the ES 300. The fast was a bonus. It could have done 0-60 in 7 sec and I would still have bought it (that is what mods are for ).

If I really wanted fast, C5 corvette please.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:28 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by willc8

TL-P: $29,650.80
3.5SE Altima: $26,535.00

TL-P:
0-60: 7.6 sec.
Altima:
GS430:

Edmunds.Com June 2000

1lexi: U sure you still want to take the tl-p.

Who are we trying to fool anyways. All car suck compared to Lexus. Why buy a tl-p for 29k or a altima for 26k when we can put the money together to buy a gs400 for 55k. Although the altima and the g3430 has the same 0-60 time, the lexus has much better leather interior by far. wink wink

Muaaahaaahaaaha.
For 55k, I'd have to go with the M3...Probably the fastest sedan in the world (well, that or the M5)
Old 01-29-2002, 02:54 PM
Instructor

I understand mine, I did not buy the GS for FAST. First I loved the styling. I KNOW from previous experience the reliability and the cars are bulletproof (cause I drive em hard). I wanted a decent sized cabin, and I wanted it to similar in size to the ES 300. The fast was a bonus. It could have done 0-60 in 7 sec and I would still have bought it (that is what mods are for ).

If I really wanted fast, C5 corvette please.
It comes down to splitting hairs. You have two vehicles that come with the same fit and finsih, features, similar size and handling. At that point you split hairs and go for all out performance, as petty as it is.
Old 01-29-2002, 04:38 PM
Advanced

Post I35 versus Maxima SE versus TL-S

I bought a TL-S last weekend after my twelve year old Maxima SE died.
I tested the I35, Two Maxima SEs, Altima, Camry, and TL-S.

The Altima looked good on paper, but
came nowhere close to the Maxima.

The Camry drove like a family car.

I couldn't tell the difference between the I35 and the Maxima... rear sunshade is only thing I remember I35 having that Maxima did not.

The two Maxima SEs (both 2002 models) were very different. One drove like the I35 I tested; these felt slightly slower than the TL-S. One of the Maximas seemed a lot more powerful though - a lot more low end torque definitely, and seemed faster on highway. Brakes on it were also much more sensitive. Not sure why there was such a difference in that car.

I ended up getting the TL-S because it seemed to handle better, and had a couple of extra features (5-speed automatic the most important) that the Maxima did not. Also I think the Acura has a better reliability record.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:50 PM
Comptech Freak

Re: Lets just cut to the chase

Originally posted by willc8
Sam,

We have bounced posts back and forth at each other for a while now. We all know you despise and hate the G35.

Maybe you are pissed off cuz you recently bought the TL-s before word got out of the G35. I mean i almost bought the tl-s mid december from park ave acura. Sh!t i would be kicking myself also if i had made the purchase before having the oppurtinity to scope out the G35

I say you go ahead and trade in your tl-s for the G35 when it comes out and end the envy and hatred you have. I am sure u will get a reasonable trade in for you tl-s. And then you can say that you have the fastest sedan for 30k

And No i am not bashing the TL-s. I have mentioned many times and will say it again. THE TL-S IS THE BEST CAR RIGHT NOW FOR 30K. I must admit i am leaning towards getting a G35 but if the test drive doesn't go well i may be a TL-s owner like the majority here.

well...i am driving a TL-P now...TL-S is much more expensive for a little upgrade from TL-P...i have driven both and i agreed it doesn't have much difference since i am not a crazy driver....

also i have driven the max...the only thing impressed me is the mighty engine...but the rear suspension really annoys me...and a cheaper look inside..(personal thoughts)

i have considered G35 too...but just out of budget...money is tight after sep11th...a couple thousands less would give more relief...both are gd cars but TL would just a better deal...and higher resale value too

will...just shut up for now and wait for the new G35...assumptions won't help

dmb, gd for u to get 14.3...u r fast...but it doesn't worth to talk to u coz u two are definite anti Acura ppl...i don't give a damn to those who like to come and fooling around and doing those meaningness talk...or i should say trash talking...or BS...stop showing off ur 14.3...if u don't like acura, just leave...
Old 01-29-2002, 07:09 PM
Advanced

I did not buy the GS for FAST
Yeah! Did you here that? SickLex did'nt buy the GS430 cause it's fast; duh!...........There were no more GS300's left in all of Georgia
Old 01-29-2002, 07:39 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Lets just cut to the chase

well...i am driving a TL-P now...TL-S is much more expensive for a little upgrade from TL-P...i have driven both and i agreed it doesn't have much difference since i am not a crazy driver....

also i have driven the max...the only thing impressed me is the mighty engine...but the rear suspension really annoys me...and a cheaper look inside..(personal thoughts)

i have considered G35 too...but just out of budget...money is tight after sep11th...a couple thousands less would give more relief...both are gd cars but TL would just a better deal...and higher resale value too

will...just shut up for now and wait for the new G35...assumptions won't help

medicsonic and dmb, gd for u to get 14.3...u r fast...but it doesn't worth to talk to u coz u two are definite anti Acura ppl...i don't give a damn to those who like to come and fooling around and doing those meaningness talk...or i should say trash talking...or BS...stop showing off ur 14.3...if u don't like acura, just leave...
Obviously you didn't read a single word that I wrote. NOWHERE in there did I say ANYTHING bad about ANY Acura, but then again, skimming over things you don't want to read lets you draw your own conclusions. Good job.
Old 01-29-2002, 07:50 PM

Yeah! Did you here that? SickLex did'nt buy the GS430 cause it's fast; duh!...........There were no more GS300's left in all of Georgia
Uh, his car is a 1998 GS400, and from what I understand he got a great deal on it, so why wouldn't he opt for the v8 if the price is right ? And willc8, that 0-60 time on the GS430 must have been when it was in reverse, as it is almost a given that they do sub 6's regardless. And after comparing the quality of Lexus leather to an Altima's, now I know you don't know anything about cars. Just buy your G35 and move on.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:03 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by TedC

Uh, his car is a 1998 GS400, and from what I understand he got a great deal on it, so why wouldn't he opt for the v8 if the price is right ?
Oh sorry, I didn't know it wasn't a 430, but that's beside the point. The 400 is a full second and a half quicker than the same car with 6 cylinders (GS300) yeah it's got a softer suspension; but that is an understatement to say the 400's V8 is just a "plus". But only sicklex can tell us why he got a 400 instead of a 300, even though he said he would be satisfied with 7's in 0-60 performance (GS300 0-60: 7.5 sec)

Oh and the 300 is about 8 grand+ less then the 400
Old 01-29-2002, 09:54 PM

Uh, his car is a 1998 GS400, and from what I understand he got a great deal on it, so why wouldn't he opt for the v8 if the price is right ? And willc8, that 0-60 time on the GS430 must have been when it was in reverse, as it is almost a given that they do sub 6's regardless. And after comparing the quality of Lexus leather to an Altima's, now I know you don't know anything about cars. Just buy your G35 and move on.
1)uh, i didn't make up the time for the gs430. I got it from edmunds.com (one of the most reliable car sources around)

2)did i make a wrong statement, by saying that the lexus interior is much better than a altima by far. If you don't think that my statement is valid then you are the stupid ignorant one. U probly can't tell the difference between you ass and your elbow.

And yes i will buy the G35 when it comes out.

U on the other hand should Shut your yap, if you don't know jack.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:00 PM

Re: Re: Lets just cut to the chase

dmb, gd for u to get 14.3...u r fast...but it doesn't worth to talk to u coz u two are definite anti Acura ppl...i don't give a damn to those who like to come and fooling around and doing those meaningness talk...or i should say trash talking...or BS...stop showing off ur 14.3...if u don't like acura, just leave...
Sam you are too funny man

U say that we are definite anti acura ppl.
But in reality your the one with the bs, cuz you are the anti G35 person. I have listed the reasons on my prior posts.

And if you don't give a damn you wouldn't be having that stroke right now.

Ur like the isicklex of acura.

Buaahaaahaaaha
Old 01-29-2002, 10:30 PM

You know what's funny willc8, you spout all this crap about stats for the G35, but fail to question a ridiculously obvious mismatch between 0-60's of 2 cars:

Altima 3.5
HP: 240
Torque: 246
Cyl.: 6
Weight: 3178
FWD

GS430
HP: 300
Torque: 325
Cyl.: 8
Weight: 3600
RWD

Yeah, I guess they'd both be the same
The fact that you pull stats from Edmunds and state them as fact makes you the dumbass. How do I know what the GS does ? I OWN a GS430 dildo, unlike you who just comes onto a board to tell everybody that a pre-production car will rule the marketplace . Infiniti sure is reliable, you can rely on them to overinflate their performance stats, and you can rely on them to plummet in value 2 years into ownership.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts

Don't know about you , but last time I checked, the Acura and Infiniti were not in the same 'group' as the Lexus, Audi, Merc or BMW are. What 'percieved image are we talking about here?
Wait is this coming from the same person who said the Nissan Max and Acura TL-S were in the same "group"??????

It comes down to splitting hairs. You have two vehicles that come with the same fit and finsih, features, similar size and handling. At that point you split hairs and go for all out performance, as petty as it is.
I'd personally go for styling if I was spliting hairs with these two cars. The rear of the G35 is just too odd for me, and I dont even see it growing on me over time. Nothing will change that rear, but Handling and Power can be finessed to higher levels.

Bring us the true Skyline Nissan, and fans will be flocking to the showrooms, and I'll be first in line.

WillC8 watch your tone, I actually share in TedC's feelings on your future purchase, (will wonders never cease??) and Hope that you get the G35 too
Old 01-29-2002, 10:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:o
Old 01-29-2002, 11:40 PM
Comptech Freak

will...y u keep saying i am an anti nissan? nissan cars are nice to drive...but the fact is the TL clearly edges out the max and altima in build quality and interior matieral...both are far better than my old buick regal which can't make a sharp corner...that VQ sounds so sweet that still revving in my head...i would say it revs better than TL-S...
G35 is great car...stop trash talking and go order one tomorrow at dealer...want to see how u will smoke the TL-S

i don't want to earn a bad reputation of making assumption to a car that is not out yet...i will only judge the cars that i know about....
Old 01-30-2002, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by Mr Hyde

WillC8 watch your tone, I actually share in TedC's feelings on your future purchase, (will wonders never cease??) and Hope that you get the G35 too
Okay, i guess i should watch my tone since i am a fan of the G35.

But people like Tedc and samks has the same tone as myself don't have to worry.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:04 AM
Burning Brakes

G35 must handle great and nice hp....but
.... the interior looks cheap..and the tail light is BUTT UGLY...

nissan has been designing ugly tails.... IMO...the new gen maxima, altimas.... the only maxima I like was the 95-99..which I own before my TL S

city
Old 01-30-2002, 12:10 AM

How do I know what the GS does ? I OWN one dildo, unlike you who just comes onto a board (after already being kicked off) to tell everybody that a pre-production car will rule the marketplace .
u are clueless ted.

1) you own a dildo, but why are you sharing that info with the rest of us. keep your private life to your self.
2)just so you know i came to this board 1/2 a year ago because i was really seriously considering buying a tl-s. and what was that about being kicked off. who has been kicked off, are you make stuff up.

[watching]
my tone
[/watching]
Old 01-30-2002, 02:03 AM

Well my Car and Driver just came in and they had a pretty postive article about the G35. It was pretty okay. I want to check it out now. But LORD FORBID, I agree with Hyde, that rear is puke city....
I really do not like the styling.
Also the G35 is 8 inches longer than the 3, IS and A4, but it's wheelbase is longer than the GS, 5 and E-class.....
They also tested the CL-S 6speed, 0-60 in 6.3:o
Old 01-30-2002, 03:18 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

0-60 in 6.3 Ah well, it's probably due to the 5 speed auto being very efficient already. I guess its still the same speed as an Altima
Old 01-30-2002, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by KP117

I35:

TL-P:

Edmunds.Com June 2000
Hmmm... Since you had the Motor Trend out already you would have seen the TL-P at 6.7. Right next to the TL-S at 6.3...

Nice try though finding the lowest speed anywhere at Edmunds though. I wasn't able to find one that slow though. Please provide the link...

Did you know Edmunds tested the I30t at 8.0 0-60 though? Here's another Edmunds quote about the Q45... "Although Infiniti estimates a 0-to-60 time of 5.9 seconds, our best run yielded a somewhat less impressive 6.7 seconds."

Anyone can make a car go slower...
Old 01-30-2002, 09:11 AM

Maybe Edmunds uses more of a real-world testing i.e. hit gas, shift accordingly, as opposed to the other mags that clutch drop and brake stand, etc. especially when they get a 5.7 time for a 330xi :wow:
Old 01-30-2002, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Maybe Edmunds uses more of a real-world testing i.e. hit gas, shift accordingly, as opposed to the other mags that clutch drop and brake stand, etc. especially when they get a 5.7 time for a 330xi :wow:
Agreed, with a manual you can get times with someone else's car that you wouldn't get with your own. 5K RPM / Use burning clutch to regulate power to wheels.

Not too much you can do with an auto though besides torque brake. Even that's not much help on vehicles that are traction inhibited.

When I look for sources I usually look for consistency. Example 1999 TL / 4A 0-60 7.4. 2000 TL / 5A 6.7. 2002 TL-S / 5A 6.3. A natural progression given the changes to the car. MT seems to be one of the more consistent mags to my eye.

When I see two mags get a similar time and a third is way off base I question #3. The fact that 2 got similar times shows the potential for the car even if the average driver can't hit that time on the street. The third can have driver, car, environment (traction, altitude, temperature) issues that skew their results. Even these issues are tricky since all cars don't respond to them similarly. (Turbos don't car as much about altitude for instance)

Statistical anomolies are interesting but I don't give as much consideration to them as I do data points that seem to agree.
Old 01-31-2002, 12:24 AM
Comptech Freak

i read C/D, R&T and MT every month...
according to my opinion, MT mostly comes up with the fastest time out of 3 with a same car...while R&T mostly slowest out of 3...

anyways most of us here won't use their aggrassive method to launch our lovely cars compare to their TEST cars..so take away half or full second off their test time...