Acura 3.20 TL Type S or I35 or G35?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not understand. The Altima is a FAMILY CAR right. Instead of making the car faster and faster how about working on the interior where the FAMILY will be......
Old 01-25-2002, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I do not understand. The Altima is a FAMILY CAR right. Instead of making the car faster and faster how about working on the interior where the FAMILY will be......
Absolutely correct!
Old 01-25-2002, 10:56 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

I agree. The interior is blah. On the flip side, I don't think Nissan's primary goal was to make the Altima fast. They just used an engine from an existing series of cars (maxima, pathfinder) and decided to stick it in there. It was actually cheaper to stick in the VQ than develop a lesser engine just so that the Altima would be slower than the Max. If Altima had a TLS like interior, that would be the ideal family sedan.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by samkws
i never say bad things about G35...
i like the G35 too...but i like to critize every car....no cars are perfect...actually i wanted the G35 instead of TL...but it wasn't out yet

i am sick of the "performance stats" which hasn't been out yet...just high 5s is impossible

but it will be a gd handling car for sure...with balanced weight and RWD...and it's newly designed, compared to TL's design back to 98/99...should improved the cons they have

i repeat, i like that car...but i don't like to make assumptions b4 it's out...
time will tell...let's see what will happen few months later...i just don't want to have a high expectation and then get disappointed
Wow Sam I am so impressed.

I am so happy that you have opened up to the G35.

But yeah all you guys are right though, we have to wait until the G35 comes out first before we can decide. I mean i am waiting and if the test drive doesn't go well i will buy the tl-s. simple as that. I mean i love the tl-s but it really pisses me off when people slam the G35, especially people who has a tl-s and has never drivin the G35. I am not saying everyone, but their are people that think the tl-s is gold and hates every competitive car against it. Reality check is if the G35 is not gonna be a better car than the tl-s it will be the best competition the tl-s will have
Old 01-25-2002, 10:12 PM

WHoa IS 300 killa. Your freaking crazy. You wanna talk about a car that is not out yet, let's talk about the 305hp supercharged IS 300 coming in May.

You people trip me out talking about a car that NO ONE has driven. The freaking car does not have a MANUAL TRANNY, so the 3 IS and A4 will stomp the car.

AND I HOPE NISSAN gets the G35 tranny right, cause if it SUCKS like in the Q, I and Maxima, it will be slower than the HP rating suggests. (like the current Q45 Infiniti can't GIVE away)....

BTW the cars I just named ARE NOT TRUE TL/I35/ES 300competition.....
Wow, a 305hp is coming out in may, how come no one knows about it yet. Come on lex we all know that you are full of sh!ts.

In your little world every car sucks except the lexus. Its so funny cuz i see you on acura boards, and nissan boards. And the only thing you do is slam every car that is not a lexus. Let me guess you work for lexus right. Why don't you stay on the lexus boards.

But in reality lexus is SUCK. Look at the es300 every car in its class is better and cheaper. Muaaahaahaaha
Old 01-26-2002, 01:21 AM
Comptech Freak

but no car makers can match their building quality and refinement in that class...u would feel the differnce...thta's what lexus gd at
Old 01-26-2002, 02:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally posted by willc8

Wow, a 305hp is coming out in may, how come no one knows about it yet. Come on lex we all know that you are full of sh!ts.

In your little world every car sucks except the lexus. Its so funny cuz i see you on acura boards, and nissan boards. And the only thing you do is slam every car that is not a lexus. Let me guess you work for lexus right. Why don't you stay on the lexus boards.

But in reality lexus is SUCK. Look at the es300 every car in its class is better and cheaper. Muaaahaahaaha
As much as this shocks me ( ), I must come to 1SickLex's defense here. Yes, I believe he is biased towards Lexus. But no more so than most of us here are biased towards Acura. We have looked at all the cars on the market and made the best choice for ourselves, just like he did. If he didn't think Lexus was superior, he wouldn't have bought one! And I must say that his posts have been much more informative and non-confrontational over the past couple of months than they used to be. And while the ES300 isn't for me (or most people who would consider the TL-S), it is an awesome near-luxury sedan that sells like crazy for Lexus. I know you were just trying to get his goat, but the numbers just don't support saying that every other car in its class is "better and cheaper"!
Old 01-26-2002, 03:22 AM

willc8, my world is MUCH bigger than your world, and your world is stuck somewhere up your ass with that hamster of yours....that is why I know of the TRD IS. Or maybe I just old fashioned READ more (does anyone do this anymore?)....

I am not gonna argue about my posts because you will interpret them anyway you want too....

If you think cheaper is better you more of an idiot than I thought....People like you don't know **** about luxury if it slapped you in the face with some REAL WOOD.....I guess you shop at Marshalls and T.J max cause it is Cheaper, you must also own one of those cookie cutter homes with one shrub in front cause it's cheaper...

You probably eat generic cereal like Wal-Mart Flakes, and buy shoes like Air Mikes cause they are cheaper....and buy cologne like warm water (if you like Cool Water, you'll LOVE Warm Water at the fraction of the price!).....

Hey if you do this, fine with me, more power too you. But don't knock and say things you OBVIOUSLY have no clue about and justify yourself by saying

" Ooooooooooooh, I saved 10k and my car is better than yours"
You could not be an ADULT, cause you WILL get laughed at....

I think I'll tell you like I told Shyne, start calling me 3SICKLEX........
Old 01-26-2002, 08:24 AM
Comptech Freak

calm down 1sicklex...

ok...we all know lexus is superior in quality and refinement...
they have proven it's true, we have proven it's ture...

no need to be upset or angry for those ppl who don't know cars!!
Old 01-26-2002, 09:38 AM
www.cardomain.com/id/perr

willc8, my world is MUCH bigger than your world, and your world is stuck somewhere up your ass with that hamster of yours....that is why I know of the TRD IS. Or maybe I just old fashioned READ more (does anyone do this anymore?)....

I am not gonna argue about my posts because you will interpret them anyway you want too....

If you think cheaper is better you more of an idiot than I thought....People like you don't know **** about luxury if it slapped you in the face with some REAL WOOD.....I guess you shop at Marshalls and T.J max cause it is Cheaper, you must also own one of those cookie cutter homes with one shrub in front cause it's cheaper...

You probably eat generic cereal like Wal-Mart Flakes, and buy shoes like Air Mikes cause they are cheaper....and buy cologne like warm water (if you like Cool Water, you'll LOVE Warm Water at the fraction of the price!).....

Hey if you do this, fine with me, more power too you. But don't knock and say things you OBVIOUSLY have no clue about and justify yourself by saying

This is funny as sh%$.

I do agree with your point cheap isn't always better but back to the subject of this tread. Is it safe to say that regardless if the G35 has real leather, wood and RWD as long as it is a Infiniti It will never measure up to the likes of an IS300 or BMW 3 series?
Old 01-26-2002, 10:58 PM

I must say when i read suckylexs post i was laughing on the floor.

Its just so funny how worked up you get over my post. Calm down man before you pop a blood vessel.

You are so wild man. Air mikes, walmart-flakes and warm water, hummm how do you know that such products exist.

It seems like you are such a big baby.
but really though we all would like to save 10k, not every one is rich like you man. We work hard for our money and 10k really does mean alot to some folks. maybe if you stopped living with you mommy then you will realize that there are other bills to pay besides a car.

This is the internet dude where people get information and chit chat. Don't get a heart attack over me okay.

but really though lex, we all you your full of sh!ts
Old 01-27-2002, 01:23 AM
Comptech Freak

sending u heart attack posts only make u think this fourm is a playground for u
also i guess nobody would want to chit chat with u here...

in fact, even a penny worths a lot to us...so does 10k...
but at least most of us here are the TL owners...and u r not...maybe u even can't afford for a Kia so u are kinda jealous

Old 01-27-2002, 08:05 AM
4th Gear

First of all, don't kill me because I own an Accord. I'm actually looking to upgrade my car in the next 6 months when I finally pay off my car. I've researched cars like the TL-S, Maxima SE, Altima, CL-S, 2003 Accord (still haven't seen any real pictures or relevant info), and the Inifiniti G35. I've narrowed down my choices to 2 cars. One is the Acura TL-S because of the sleek looks, 260 hp engine and reliability (even with the occassional tranny issues). The other is the Infiniti G35.
Well the other week I went to the NJ Auto show and saw first hand what the G35 sedan looks like. (The G35 sports coupe will be out in the fall, the G35 Sedan is coming out this spring. Be on the lookout for the Infiniti FX45 300+ hp All-wheel drive sport util. next year) I have to say from first glance I fell in love with the appearance of the car. It was a head turner with sleek lines and beautiful angles whether staring at it from the front or from the side. Cars like the Altima look good from the front and back, but look bulky from the side...Not the G35. The G35 is nice from any angle. I spoke to the representitive and he said starting price would be 27,000 with 16" rims and all-season tires. Of course the 17" performance rims and tires and sports-tuned suspension, will probably set you in the 30,000 range. Good points include a 260 hp/torque similiar to that of the TL-S, but with rear-wheel drive. The engine is the popular VQ-Series Engine with molybdenum-coated pistons and microfinished components used in cars like the I35 & QX4. It utilizes CVTCS Continuously variable valve timing control system which optimizes when the intake valves open for improved perf. and efficiency at all engine speeds. Five speed Auto Trans. with Manual shift mode (similiar to TL-S sports shift). VDC Infiniti Vehicle Dynamic Control which senses understeer (plowing) or oversteer (fishtailing) and applys appropriate brake pressure to indv. wheels to reduce engine output and maintain driver control and hold the intended path. Zero lift front aerodynamics standard. Zero-lift front and rear with Aero Package. (Sorry if I copy infringed, but I have the G35 brochure and thought there might be some useful info.) Theres more, but I'm probably starting to p*ss some people off with this long message. In short, the G35 sedan should be out in a couple of months so if you have the patience wait til they're in the showroom. I'll be waiting and then consider my choices wisely. I am a big fan of the TL-S, but there will be many other choices coming out in the next few months including some Mazda products and the Nissan Z coupe.
Old 01-27-2002, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

In the long run, it's all about the timing of product release cycles. The G35 had better be better than the TL - the TL has been around since '99. Acura has done a good job keeping the TL current by adding side airbags, VSA, 5 speed automatic, memory seats, and the "S" features. Being new, the G35 adds a bunch of features that you know Acura will include in the TL redesign. Examples include head air bags, brake force distribution, real four-channel ABS, more tortional rigidity, and a more luxurious interior with features equal to or better than the G35. The bottom line if you're shopping for a $30K car right now is that the G35 represents the "state of the art" in terms of design and features simply because it's "new". The TL will be "new" again in a year and a half making the G35 look "old" if Acura does their job right. I needed a car last March and bought the TL-S because of its features and value. If I were buying a car today I'd sure as hell look hard at the G35 and also the X-Type and S60 AWD which didn't exist then. I own two Acura's (an MDX and a TL-S) and have been really happy with both. However, my loyalty lies with the car company that delivers a car with good performance, safety features, handling, styling, and luxury features at the best overall value. My TL-S lease is up just as the new TL should role out. Shopping for a mid-$30K car then should be fun because of the expanded number of cars and features available. With each new generation of cars released, we the consumer win as the bar keeps getting raised through the evolution of technology and design.
Old 01-27-2002, 12:46 PM

maybe u even can't afford for a Kia so u are kinda jealous

maybe u even can't afford for a kia so u are kinda jealous.

What kinda english is that man.

Dude i can afford a tl-s, but like alot of other people who haven't bought one yet i will be getting the G35 when it comes out.
Old 01-27-2002, 01:28 PM

There will be people like secrectaccord that like the looks of the G35, but I do not think there will be too many just sold on looks (hell a MAJOR reason ya'll own TL's and I Lexi, styling). The reason I think it cannot FULLY compete or beat the 3 or IS is it NEEDS a manual. For a sedan that size and since it is being marketed as a sports sedan. Look at the maxima, 4dsc with an optional manual.

I am interested to see the 2 door G-35 that is supposed to drop in September, very interested actually.

Also, Altima, Maxima, G35, I35, that is bunch of sedans with the same purpose in the SAME price range don't ya think???

BTW I checked out the Caddy CTS at the dealer and to me the car looks IDENTICAL to those mag pics....
Old 01-27-2002, 05:07 PM
Advanced

it NEEDS a manual. For a sedan that size and since it is being marketed as a sports sedan.
The G35 is supposed to get the 350Z 6sp manual next year..... Wasn’t the IS300 a "legitimate" 3-series competitor even when it didn’t have a manual?:p
Old 01-27-2002, 09:24 PM

Well Lexus announced that the 5-speed manual WOULD be released 1 year after the IS auto. But until then, no, a slush box is a slush box.......:p
Old 01-27-2002, 11:42 PM
Comptech Freak

Well Lexus announced that the 5-speed manual WOULD be released 1 year after the IS auto. But until then, no, a slush box is a slush box.......:p
they should drop in a 6spd manual instead...since the euro IS200 has the 6spd...

but having a 6spd will makes the IS heavier and slower...maybe that's the reason they put a 5spd instead
Old 01-28-2002, 06:35 PM

actually the 6-speed could not handle the torque of the inline-6.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:16 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

How come they didn't use the Supra TT 6-speed. That could easily handle the horsepower and torque? (or was it Getrag???)
Old 01-28-2002, 07:54 PM
Comptech Freak

actually the 6-speed could not handle the torque of the inline-6.
that's not the issue...the euro IS200 is Inline 6 too...

just a 6spd manual is heavier than 5spd...
and supra TT's 6spd's gear ratio is too tall...

the weight problem also apply to Subaru WRX japan version...

the old WRX had 5spd, but the new 6spd is somewhat makes the car 50kg heavier and lost the advantage to EVO VII, which still using a 5spd...

and they are considering for putting back a 5spd into their STI lightweight version
Old 01-28-2002, 08:17 PM
Advanced

Yeah the interior isn’t nearly as nice as all the other mid 14's sec sedans you can buy for $26,000 .......Shiet You’d be hard pressed to find a mid 15's sec sedan for $26,000:p
Old 01-28-2002, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Maybe it's just me, but ALL manufacturers are doing the 'cheap looking' interior these days. Honda's new S2000 and Civic, ALL of Toyota's new cars (including the trucks), Nissan, Mazda, Subaru and even Acura now are using cheap looking plastics in their cars. Why? Don't know, but if that is the only thing we can complain about on a 22K car that handles well, looks good and is pretty damn fast, I'll live with it. (The taillights are questionable, but more and more car companies are now doing it, so I guess We will have to live with it.)
Old 01-28-2002, 09:31 PM

Unhappy

Dude, you are missing the whole point. If you are buying a FAMILY CAR and the 1st thing you ask is HOW FAST, you qualify for the IDIOT award. You are an IDIOT. Sorry. You probably also ask HOW FAST that SUV goes.....

What about, build quality, space, how well and fast does the AC work, crash rating. Are all the controls where they are supposed to be. How long do you have to glance AWAY from the road to change the radio.... You know the stuff that REALLY COUNTS....

Dahm, the new Camry and Accord LX, beat it in a comparo in Car & Driver (because fast is not EVERYTHING)......

But I know, these are the same people that buy SUV's cause "I look cooler" than buying a proper Minivan....

@#&*( POSERS..........

I like the Altima alot and think it is great but looking at how many have tried to RACE me in the span of 2 months it is not even cute.......
Old 01-28-2002, 09:35 PM

Mediasonic, actually Honda and Toyota have set such a HIGH standards for interior quality that EVERYBODY had to ante up, from Kia to BMW. So now it will be who turns it up ANOTHER NOTCH.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:47 PM
Advanced

Yeah I know exactly what you mean lex; it's a family car and all but it also has a performance bravado to it, The CEO of Nissan said something along the lines of "we want to be everything to some people and not something for everyone" So if you were to take a similar sized sedan with comparable performance you should look no further than a $31,000+ car. If you reduced the price of that car down to the price of the altimas you would come away with a lot more cons than a cheap interior.
Old 01-28-2002, 10:54 PM

A loaded 3.5SE Altima is 28k, a TL 3.2 TL-P is 28k....

THE TL please!
Old 01-28-2002, 11:06 PM
Instructor

Mediasonic, actually Honda and Toyota have set such a HIGH standards for interior quality that EVERYBODY had to ante up, from Kia to BMW. So now it will be who turns it up ANOTHER NOTCH.
MEDICSONIC, not MediaSonic, I have no iea why so many people do that. What I am referring to is the overall quality of materials in cars recently. Having checked out every Honda, Nissan, Toyota and Mazda in the last week, I would have to say EVERY car company is using questionable materials on their NEW models. The new Camry has a rather cheap looking plastic on the center console that seems very out of place on an otherwise decently designed car. I won't even get started on the new Celica, but I counted 5 different textures on there, from the faux chrome, to the plastic on the center console to the VERY poorly designed dashboard, with an unreadable font on the speedometer. They did the same thing in the Freelander, the Sequoia, the Avalon (WTF were they thinking with that dashboard design), the IS300, etc. I went to Nissan, and was actually embarrased at how bad the new Altima's interior was (though it drove damn well and had a TON of space and was VERY comfortable.) Unfortunately, the 'new thing' seems to be going away from a quality wood and leather feel, and instead, we are going toward the chrome and carbon fiber feel. Not good in my opinion.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:29 AM
Advanced

THE TL please!
Just went to the respective websites and priced both cars with comparable equipment (leather, xenon ect).......

TL-P: $29,650.80

3.5SE Altima: $26,535.00

If you take the 3 grand difference and change that into dollar bills, you might have enough to horizontally fill the space of the of car lengths that the Altima would put on the TL-P
Old 01-29-2002, 08:27 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by KP117

Just went to the respective websites and priced both cars with comparable equipment (leather, xenon ect).......

TL-P: $29,650.80

3.5SE Altima: $26,535.00

If you take the 3 grand difference and change that into dollar bills, you might have enough to horizontally fill the space of the of car lengths that the Altima would put on the TL-P
But not enough to fill the number of car lengths the TL-P would put on the i35...
Old 01-29-2002, 08:32 AM

Medicsonic, people do that because the brain sees medi and automatically thinks MEDIA, so we spell mediasonic instead of medicsonic.

Well if 400,000 Camry buyers are happy, I do not think Toyota will change. I find the 1992-1996 Camry as solid as the new ones, inside and out....

Everybody wants an "Audi" interior nowadays.....
Old 01-29-2002, 08:38 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by EZZ

Its the same chassis as the Z. It has 260hp and 260 ft/lb of torque. It will be around 200-400 lbs lighter. It will have RWD, 5 speed auto with a more aggressive gear ratio. It will have a Cd of 0.27.

The Auto Max is already the same speed if not faster than the TLS. People on Maxima.org have gotten 14.6-14.8 Stock. The G35 is marketed as being the next sport sedan. It will SMOKE the Maxima/Altima. Therefore I don't see how the TLS will be faster than the G35.

Maybe I could be wrong. Maybe Nissan/Infiniti will overrate their horsepower. However, the VQ line of Engine has always performed better than estimated.
Er... The brochure I just got on the G35 says 255... The current i35 falls far short of even the 225 hp TL-P in acceleration with the same engine. I'll need to see it before I believe it. Nissan seems obsessed with HP numbers that never really seem to come through. Witness the Max auto in comparos with a 22 HP advantage having the same 0-60 and 1/4 as the Accord and Camry. The scandal around the 340 HP Q that can't quite distance itself from the much less (supposedly) powerful LS430. The 240 HP pathfinder (quote:240 HP, seems like 200 by mag reviewer) and on and on.

They make OK cars but they seem overly obsessed with HP numbers. Witness "The New I35, with the most horsepower in it's class". In small print, "based on comparatively equipped 2001 models" Seems like a bad case of shame or penis envy as an outsider. I'll believe their advertising claims when they actually are verified, not until...
Old 01-29-2002, 08:39 AM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Webologist

But not enough to fill the number of car lengths the TL-P would put on the i35...
LOL
Old 01-29-2002, 09:23 AM
Intermediate

definelty go with the G35, i love the look, there will be nismo aftermarket(we hope) handle awesome, and if you can wait a little longer it's gonna have a coupe 6-spd.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:16 AM

THE TL please!
'

This post shows that lexi is full of the sh!ts..
Fully loaded altima goes for 26k

The TL-s has problems keeping up with the 3.5se altima.
the tl-p will literally eat the altimas dust.

Getting back to the subject about i35 g35 and tl-s

I will bet money with any ignorant F#ck here who don't think that the G35 will smoke a tl-s. And please don't mention stupid stuff like if i spend 15k to mod my tl-s it will be faster than a G35.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:28 AM
Instructor

This is what we have learned from this thread so far:
Old 01-29-2002, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by MedicSonic
This is what we have learned from this thread so far:
HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHA your right though.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:33 AM
Comptech Freak

we are not buying our TL because of its acceleration...coz u can't find a BETTER CAR, i repeat, A BETTER CAR with its price...show me the xenon and 5spd auto standard...if u can find any...with 28k...

at 26k, i can get a camero or mustang and smoke ur ass...talking about pure acceleration...maybe i can even get a nos and jet to 180mph...is that what u want?

G35 would be close to TL-S...but God knows who's faster before it comes out
Old 01-29-2002, 11:40 AM
Instructor

we are not buying our TL because of its acceleration...coz u can't find a BETTER CAR, i repeat, A BETTER CAR with its price...show me the xenon and 5spd auto standard...if u can find any...with 28k...

at 26k, i can get a camero or mustang and smoke ur ass...talking about pure acceleration...maybe i can even get a nos and jet to 180mph...is that what u want?

G35 would be close to TL-S...but God knows who's faster before it comes out
No one questions that the TL series is a good value, but at that point, the Sonata is a much better value. Leather, a V6, blah blah blah for 17K. I am in no way bashing Acura or the TL in particular, but come on. Pretty much every thread has someone posting about its 'percieved image'. Don't know about you , but last time I checked, the Acura and Infiniti were not in the same 'group' as the Lexus, Audi, Merc or BMW are. What 'percieved image are we talking about here?

Oh, and samkws, while a 5 speed auto is commendable, it really isn't too impressive. Kia's and Hyundais come with them now. And Xenon? Option on Nissans. Not really enough to separate cars 'classes' anymore.

Quick Reply: Acura 3.20 TL Type S or I35 or G35?