Accident Ruined My Vacation

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 07:50 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Accident Ruined My Vacation

After having a real peaceful day at the beach yesterday, I was driving home to get my car washed and some smuck in a station wagon ran a stop sign at about 35 MPH and hit be broadside. Aside from a very sore body, I am sick over the damage to my car. I'm pissed at the guy that hit me mostly because he had a strong smell of alcohol ( Monday at 2:00 PM ). He admitted to the police he "had a few". They were giving him a field sobriety test when I left. I had to have my car towed on a flat bed. I'm not a pro, but I would guess that the damage is around $10K.

I am on my way to meet the adjuster at our local body shop. My one comfort is that this body shop has done work for us in the past ( yes, I have kids) and has done excellent work and has a great reputation. I was adament that only Acura new parts be installed and the body shop owner assured me that where the car is only a few months old, that wouldn't be a problem. I've heard stories in the past about insurance companies cutting corners, so I want to make certain the adjuster also agrees that only Acura OEM parts will be installed. Sorry for the long posting, but I need to vent.

TLDan
2002 Aegean Blus TL-S
Old 08-21-2001, 08:06 AM
Pro

Unhappy

Bad luck and a sad story, though at least you're not badly damaged!. Hope that the "baby" is restored to pristine condition.
Old 08-21-2001, 08:08 AM
Instructor

Ugh, sorry to hear it.

At least you are [mostly, physically] okay, though, right? It's a lot harder for hospitals to use genuine OEM parts!

Paul
Old 08-21-2001, 08:54 AM
Pro

Sorry man! Almost a year ago some blonde bimbo did the same thing, at about the same speed and did cause $10k worth of damage on my Infiniti.

Hey, here's a thought. Don't know if you were having "issues" with your paint job but maybe while you're there you can have them repaint the whole car (it would cost you more obviously).

Best wishes, I know what a long road you have ahead of you in dealing with all this crap.

What insurance company is the lush insured with?
Old 08-21-2001, 09:13 AM
Drifting

Sorry to hear about your accident. It sucks, it has happened to me so i know how you feel. At least you are ok and the car will be as good as new soon!
Old 08-21-2001, 10:00 AM
Racer

Wow - so sorry to hear about that!! I can only imagine how pissed off the whole situation makes you.

I had a friend who had that happen to her new car, and ever since I picked mine up a week and a half ago, I've been paranoid about something like that happen.

We can only drive so safely, but it's the other fools that don't drive safe (or drink before driving) that ultimately get us...

Sorry...hope everything works out okay!
Old 08-21-2001, 10:15 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. I just got my car back a week ago after waiting for 6 weeks and $9K worth of damage. It is true that it's not you you have to worry about, it's the other idiots. Anyway, I am sure the bodyshop will do a good job on your car. If you ever need a recommendation for repairs, I would definitely recommned Herb Connoly's Acura in Framingham. They have done a wonderful job on my car and I am very pleased. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident, and I am glad that you are OK>

Normally I am not a proponent of suing someone just because you were involved in a fender bender, but if this guy was drinking, Id be all over him. An accidents an accident, but DWI is no accident. As far as using OEM parts, all insurance companies are legally not supposed to use non OEM parts unless you OK it. State farm was in a huge lawsuit within the last few years over this matter which they lost and were fined heavily. Hope you get your Aegean Blue Baby back quickly and in mint condition.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:27 AM
Instructor

DEAL with aDJUSTER

Let me tell you what you need to do. Call the insurance and meet the adjuster or talk to the adjuster that you are hurt. If your damage is 10K, you should at least get another $10K and tell that you are going to hospital and take a x-ray. Or if you call the lawyer you can get more money from the insurance company. Last time I had a car accident fixing body cost only $1,200. but they extra paid me $2500.00 for the health. And I just settled everything in a month. I'm sure I could asked for 4K, but i didn't because I was ok..
Old 08-21-2001, 10:41 AM
Pro

Another DUI driver.

Thank GOD you are O.K. Since you already got a good body shop, let's hope you get your car soon and enjoy the driving experience again.
Old 08-21-2001, 05:02 PM
Advanced

Thanks Folks!

Thanks for all of the responses. These past two days have been depressing. Of course, logically, I know that the car can be repaired and I should be grateful that I wasn't hurt more, BUT, the emotional side can't stop thinking about the damage to my car ( and the SOB who hit ).

At any rate, I hope to have the car by Labor day weekend, so I'll give you an honest and objective assessment on how it looks and rides! Stay safe and happy driving!

Regards:

TL-Dan
2002 Aegean Blue ( Currently in for reconstructive surgery )
5600 Miles
Old 08-21-2001, 07:05 PM
Instructor

Unhappy

Im sorry to hear about your accident. I also have an Aegean blue TLS with about 5700 miles, If this happened to me I would feel sick too. But like they say the car can be fixed, and it could of been alot worse. Think if Jack Daniels had been doing 65 instead of 35mph!
Old 08-21-2001, 08:51 PM
Moo
Pro

Sorry to hear about your accident TLDan...I'm glad to hear you're ok. Hope everything works out. And make sure you make that sucka pay for causing all this crap
Old 08-21-2001, 08:56 PM
Pro

Angry

I am not a litigious person, but I would definitely SUE that moron. People like that need to be taken off the streets. Sorry about your damage. Make sure you use a reliable, recommended shop for the repairs. Good luck