Accelerator Cable: lubing? And cruise control sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008 | 07:51 PM
There's no Acura in

Question Accelerator Cable: lubing? And cruise control sticking?

How do you clean the accelerator cable & loosen it up? I went out & grabbed some Deep Creep but how do I take the cable off to spray the insides?

Question 2: It seems like the cruise control thing catches the throttle thing when I press my foot about halfway down the gas. I always thought that pressure I was feeling was cable pressure, but it's because the black cruise control thing is catching the gas thing. Is it supposed to be like that? And is it supposed to be rough? Sorry I wish I knew the exact terms that I should be using but I'm not car smart.
Old 11-02-2008 | 09:05 AM
There's no Acura in

If my post seems confusing, all I'm really asking is:

1) how to take off the throttle cable to lube it up
and
2) is it normal that the cruise control throttle connector "catches" the accelerator throttle connector when you press the accelerator pedal about half way? Reason I ask is because it's not a smooth feeling [e.g., it's like my accelerator pedal is split into two sections].
Old 11-02-2008 | 09:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Ist it physically catching or is it just that point you feel it sticking? Take the engine cover off. Then with your hands pull the throttle wide open. When its fully open you can see on the back side of the cam where the cable connects there is a slit in the cable reel that the cable and its end can slide out.

Also if you have a sticky throttle, take the rubber tube off the intake (the part that goes from the filter box to the throttle body) then get in the throttle body with a tooth brush and cleaner and clean the deposits in the TB.
Old 11-03-2008 | 06:08 AM
There's no Acura in

Both physically & I feel it sticking.

Put it like this, if I disconnect the cruise control cable, I get smooth motion in the accelerator pedal.

If I leave the cruise control cable connected, at about a halfway depression of the accelerator pedal, there's a noticeable change in pressure which requires me to press the pedal harder. I found while looking at the throttle area while pressing the accelerator pedal, that at that halfway point, the cruise control throttle connector "catches" onto the accelerator throttle connector.

How do I take off the rubber tube off the intake? Just pull it out?

My ultimate goal is to make the pedal less tense.