AC Delco oil filter p/n ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2001, 09:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Delco oil filter p/n ?

Anyone know the correct filter number for the AC Delco oil filter for the TL ? (Specifically, the 2002 TL-S... )

-Karl
Old 10-13-2001, 12:02 PM
Advanced

why are you buying AC Delco? Just spend the 4.50 for the Honday one
Old 10-13-2001, 08:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Here it is:

SPF1127 FILTER,OIL DURAGUARD SILVER
UPF1127 FILTER,OIL ULTRAGUARD GOLD

These are supposed to be one of the better filters made.
Old 10-15-2001, 09:28 PM
Cruisin'

Why AC Delco ?

and not Honda brand filters ?

Because I've used them for years, and I like them. From the various reports I've found on-line, AC Delco oil filters have been pretty consistently good quality. OTOH, for example, Fram is pretty consistently lousy quality.... and I don't know where Honda outsources their filter manufacturing to. Almost all OEM manufacturers outsource their filters -- the exceptions are generally the ones that have their own, in-house parts companies, like AC Delco for all the GM brands, and Motorcraft for the Ford products.

So, when an OEM outsources its filters, you might get a good one, or you might not. Also, the supplier could vary between year-to-year, and model-to-model.

-Karl
Old 10-16-2001, 03:09 PM
Intermediate

Re: Why AC Delco ?

Originally posted by Karl_O
and not Honda brand filters ?

Because I've used them for years, and I like them. From the various reports I've found on-line, AC Delco oil filters have been pretty consistently good quality. OTOH, for example, Fram is pretty consistently lousy quality.... and I don't know where Honda outsources their filter manufacturing to. Almost all OEM manufacturers outsource their filters -- the exceptions are generally the ones that have their own, in-house parts companies, like AC Delco for all the GM brands, and Motorcraft for the Ford products.

So, when an OEM outsources its filters, you might get a good one, or you might not. Also, the supplier could vary between year-to-year, and model-to-model.

-Karl
How are you able to tell that Fram makes lousy quality? And what makes for good quality? At one time I worked for a filter mftr making jet fuel elements... Fram was a tough competitor to beat.
Bob
Old 10-21-2001, 11:51 AM
Cruisin'

Fram bad/ Delco good ?

I don't personally know which would be better or worse. However, the cut-them-open-and-see reviews I've found online suggest that Fram is (generally) on the poor quality end of the scale, with AC Delco, Wix, Mobil 1 on the good quality end.

AC Delco filters are readily available at most any parts store, for $2.50-$3.00 per filter; the same price as a basic Fram/ Quaker State/ Pennzoil/ generic brand filter. Going to Mobil 1 / K&N at $10.00 per is a bit much, but I intend to use Mobil 1 5W-30 oil, with 5K change intervals.

Again, this combo (Mobil 1 oil / AC Delco filter / 5K interval) is what I've been using in my Jeep, and I'm happy with it. If Pennzoil oil / Fram filter / 7.5K intervals are satisfactory to someone else, that's fine with me, it's just not what I'm going to use.

-Karl
Old 10-21-2001, 05:33 PM
Intermediate

Re: Fram bad/ Delco good ?

Originally posted by Karl_O
I don't personally know which would be better or worse. However, the cut-them-open-and-see reviews I've found online suggest that Fram is (generally) on the poor quality end of the scale, with AC Delco, Wix, Mobil 1 on the good quality end.

AC Delco filters are readily available at most any parts store, for $2.50-$3.00 per filter; the same price as a basic Fram/ Quaker State/ Pennzoil/ generic brand filter. Going to Mobil 1 / K&N at $10.00 per is a bit much, but I intend to use Mobil 1 5W-30 oil, with 5K change intervals.

Again, this combo (Mobil 1 oil / AC Delco filter / 5K interval) is what I've been using in my Jeep, and I'm happy with it. If Pennzoil oil / Fram filter / 7.5K intervals are satisfactory to someone else, that's fine with me, it's just not what I'm going to use.

-Karl
Karl-There may not be much to learn when cutting open a filter can.
1. You could measure the area of paper used, but there are many grades of filter paper....none specified to the auto replacement market.

2. Basically, an auto engine doesn't (or shouldn't) wear much. So the filter usually won't trap much contaminant. That's why the 7500 mi to replacement is reasonable. Besides, all filters will trap finer & finer particles as they load up. Also, the oil filter gets to refilter the same 5 quarts, over & over again, until the next changeout. (It's like vacumming the same rug 10 times per day)

3. Additives in modern motor oil can suspend the very fine particles, which also explains why engines do not sludge & varnish.....as in the past.

4. Keep in mind that the oil must provide cooling, as well as lubrication (piston bottoms, valve stems, turbo bearings, etc)..... Check those cooling fins cast into the TL's aluminum crancase pan.

5. But oil does deteroriate with exposure time & mileage. So, a more frequent change out probably has a much bigger beneficial effect than the brand of filter used.

6. Unlike tires/batteries, the auto oil filter market has no standardizing specs to us consumers on size, paper, etc..... It's a hustler's business.

bob