Is ABS plastic better than fiberglass for rear spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 02:37 PM
r_c
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Is ABS plastic better than fiberglass for rear spoiler?

Bottom line, which of the two materials is lighter and better/smoother when painted?

I own a 97 3.2TL and would like to find out what the offset is for 17" wheels for my car (bolt pattern is 5x114.3, I believe). Also, what is a good size tire for this car? I am planning on lowering a bit with the Eibach's latter on so I need to think about possible rubbing on the fender wells...

Thanks all.

r_c
Old 05-01-2001, 03:52 PM
Racer

As for the paint quality between the different polymers, that is all dependent on the painter and how he/she preps the surface before applying the paint.

I have done research in polymers and I know for a fact that ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadeine Styrene) is a polymer with higher impact strength and other mechanical properties that are more advantageous than fiberglass. The main reason why some manufacturers use different polymers is because of moldibility and the mechanical properties. If you do some research, you will notice that most manufacturers of automotive plastics and within the computer industry, ABS, HIPS, PPO, PC, and other similar engineering thermoplastics are being widely used.

I recommend getting the spoiler or whatever plastic molded components in a engineering thermoplastic which I mentioned above. Trust me, I did a whole research project on this stuff.

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL
* AEM SRI (blue)
* Denso Iridium Plugs
* Comptech Headers
* Comptech Springs
* Factory Bodykit
* Type S rims
* Inspire Tails
* Burlwood knob
* Tint
Old 05-01-2001, 04:00 PM
r_c
Intermediate

DragonTL,

It sounds like ABS is the material of choice but, is it lighter? I just don't want to worry about the trunk coming down on my 5-year-old son or something because the shocks can't hold it open...

Thanks again.

r_c
Old 05-01-2001, 04:10 PM
Racer

Originally posted by r_c:
DragonTL,

It sounds like ABS is the material of choice but, is it lighter? I just don't want to worry about the trunk coming down on my 5-year-old son or something because the shocks can't hold it open...

Thanks again.

r_c
That is all dependent on whether or not the spoiler is the same, just made out of different material. Let me give you a little information. ABS has an average density of 1.04 g/cm3. I don't know the density of fiberglass, but I would assume it is higher. If you have any fiberglass, see if it floats on water. If it doesn't, then it is probably heavier than ABS. Remember, the density of water is 1.00 g/cm3.

I don't think there is much of a difference in the weight of the two polymers if they were to be used in the same spoiler design, mounted on top of your trunk. You should research and see how much torque the hydraulics hold on the trunk lid. That should give you a better idea of safety issues associated with spoiler add ons. I believe that they are designed to hold up the trunk with a factory spoiler mounted.

What spoiler are you looking at? Who makes the design in the two different polymer blends? I believe ABS is more widely used.

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL
* AEM SRI (blue)
* Denso Iridium Plugs
* Comptech Headers
* Comptech Springs
* Factory Bodykit
* Type S rims
* Inspire Tails
* Burlwood knob
* Tint
Old 05-01-2001, 04:15 PM
r_c
Intermediate

DragonTL,

again, thank you for the quick response. I've been looking at spoilers offered by www.autodynamic.com (not sure what it's made of) and www.autocarparts.com (made of ABS plastic). They told me that ABS is lighter but I wanted to get the info from someone without an interest in selling me something.

Thanks,
R_C
Old 05-01-2001, 04:29 PM
Racer

DragonTL,

again, thank you for the quick response. I've been looking at spoilers offered by www.autodynamic.com (not sure what it's made of) and www.autocarparts.com (made of ABS plastic). They told me that ABS is lighter but I wanted to get the info from someone without an interest in selling me something.

Thanks,
R_C

No problem...good luck

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL
* AEM SRI (blue)
* Denso Iridium Plugs
* Comptech Headers
* Comptech Springs
* Factory Bodykit
* Type S rims
* Inspire Tails
* Burlwood knob
* Tint
Old 05-01-2001, 05:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

the offset should around +48 to +52. i have read from some people with 1st gen TL's that they have around +42 to +45 running on their cars. depends on the rim and tire. i think going with a 215 tire will have less of a chance rubbing than a 225.
Old 05-01-2001, 09:56 PM
Racer

DragonTL,

Thanks again.
r_c
Even the lightest spoiler will cause the trunk to close shut (sometimes). I had the trunk open this afternoon and it shut on my buddies head!
Tonight I had it open when hooking up the brake light to the spoiler and it didn't shut.

------------------
2000TL, Nighthawk Black Pearl, Comptech springs and sways, 35% tint, rear spoiler, Kicker Amp/SUB added to Bose system, Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels
http://home.pacbell.net/sanuki/acura3.JPG
Old 05-02-2001, 02:21 AM
Burning Brakes

ABS is lighter than fiberglass. You can get stronger trunk lid springs if you get a spoiler installed. If you get a spoiler from the dealer, they should automatically put in the stronger springs for you as part of the package.

I currently have an ABS spoiler with the stock trunk springs. It's very light, but the trunk still has a little more of a tendency to close by itself.

------------------
'01 TL with Navi
Naples Gold Metallic
Wood Trim Kit
Custom aluminum mesh grill
Wings West custom 2-leg spoiler wing
Solar Gard Titanium Tint 43 all around.
Cuzo Hyperwhite hi beams.
Acura logo tire valve stem caps.
Old 05-02-2001, 03:27 PM
r_c
Intermediate

Thanks all for the input. Greatly appreciated!!

R_C