About to buy TL-S, but what about accessories?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 05:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When do you plan on buyin your TL? Im from the hayward area and i was nagotiating with a dealer in Sunnyvale and i could get the 2003 TL type-S w/navi for about $30,400. I think thats a pretty good price, do you think so? How much did the dealer quote you?
Old 05-19-2003, 05:08 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Very soon -- ideally within the next week or so, but things may change.

Did you work with Steven Pfaffle of Sunnyvale? Yeah, $30,400 (is that with or without destination?) is a good price with Navi. (The best I've gotten is $30,760 w/ destination but I think I can drive that down even lower).

I want some accessories though, so I was willing to pay $31k w/ destination for the accessories on the car.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:22 PM
Intermediate

I'm pretty sure that is including the destination charge. What kinda accessories do you want for your car? The only thing i want is the body kit and spoiler. Are you getting the Navigation system? Are you goin to buy the car from Sunnyvale? keep me updated with the price you get out the door ok? Thanks!
Old 05-19-2003, 05:25 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I want the spoiler and moonroof visor. I may or may not buy from Sunnyvale depending on their price. Are you settling for $30,400?

How much are they quoting you as the price with the accessories?
Old 05-19-2003, 05:29 PM
Intermediate

I think that $30,400 for the 2003 TL type-S w/navi is a good price because it's like $500 or so off invoice, but I'm not an expert so that's just my opinion. I trying to ask around to get some advice b4 i go and buy the car, i dont wanna get ripped off. I didnt get a quote w/accessories. I'm just gonna go there and try to negotiate with them for the body kit and spoiler. What price are you willing to settle for and where?
Old 05-19-2003, 05:32 PM
Racer

30,400 with destination charge is a dam good price. If its not including destination its still a good price though.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:33 PM
Intermediate

Mushutofu, do you think i can get them to go lower then that price? since the new TL's are coming out very soon.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Racer

Yup. But 30,400 is already below invoice for TL-S w/navi. (Published Invoive that is). If i'm not mistaken I highly doubt that 30,400 includes the destination cost. Does it? If thats the price they're giving you then they are being pretty fair. But hey, try going lower and se if they fold.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Racer

By the way, how I got them to lower the price was I went in near the evening time. We talked and hagles a bit but they wouldn't meet my price. I told them to call me if they were willing to give the price I wanted and gave them my cell phone number. I also told them to call me in the morning!! Guess what, they called first thing in the morning. When I went to the dealership I told them to negotiate the price all over again. They know that I was serious about buying and that if they didn't make me a deal I was going to go buy it from someone else. Remeber, you have the ball and they should be playing on your court.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:41 PM
Intermediate

I'm pretty sure that price includes the destination because they usually include it into the invoice price already as well. Is your TL type-S have navi? After you bought the car, did they give you the invoice for the car? If so, what was the actual invoice, b/c the dealers always boost up the prices a lot.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:46 PM
Racer

No they don't. When they give you a price they arn't specifying destination. Why would they, its just another way for them to get more money out of you after you've settled on a price. Find a sales person that speaks clearly and that's willing to break it down.
My TL-s does not have a navi. I got the invoice price from websites. Invoice price for TL-S w/ navi is 30,500
Invoice for TL-s w/o navi is around ~28,500
Sure I believe that there is a invoice price and then that there is a DEALER'S invoive price because they get cars cheaper when they bulk buy. But if you mention that most dealerships will vehimately deny the claim. One friend worked at Mike Harvey Honda and the other at Putnam Lexus. They told me that they don't admit to below invoice price claims.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:52 PM
Intermediate

Mushutofu, are you from the SF bay area? The invoice price for the TL-S w/ navi is ~$31,000 right? What is a good dealer to go to? I really dont wanna get ripped off. Thanks for all the help!
Old 05-19-2003, 06:02 PM
Racer

I feel you. I researched for about a couple of weeks before I bought my TL-s
Yup, I'm from SF.
The invoice for TL w/navi is ~30,500!!
Old 05-19-2003, 06:04 PM
Intermediate

So how much did you get your TL for out the door? I might consider not gettin the navigation system and save some money for the body kit and spoiler. Do you have the kit and spoiler? Are you happy with your TL, ANy regrets?
Old 05-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Racer

I got my TL-S for 30,500 which includes the body kit and spoiler. I really don't need a navi because USUALLY I know where i'm goin. So far I'm love with my car. I'm getting 18x7 Kaotik Z5 chrome rims tomorrow. The car isn't broken in yet so I havn';t been able to mash it, but you can feel the power. When i'm driving the RPM rarely goes above 2. Its smooth and is a nice ride. Plus, compared to all the cars out there you get the most bang for your buck!!!
Old 05-19-2003, 06:17 PM
Intermediate

Im not too clear about the navigation system, does it play dvd's and/or cds? is there any other purpose to it besides road navigation? How long have you had your car? what price did you get the kit and spoiler for? I think im gonna get it from the dealer too, i think its too much trouble to go outside and order it and then wait for the shippin and stuff. YOu think that is smart?
Old 05-19-2003, 06:23 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

The navigation system strictly controls your navigation and climate control. It won't play any DVDs or anything.

sojah -- who are you working with at Sunnyvale? Have you talked to any other South Bay dealers?
Old 05-19-2003, 06:25 PM
Racer

The navi only does navi although i've heard of people wiring DVD and tv's to the screen or installing after market screens. My car is 1 week old.
I paid 1950 for the kit. The dealer asks for 2500 but no would i have paid that. Plus1950 is how much the employees get it for.
Getting it from the dealer is cool because #1, its the dealer so if they f*&k up its covered. Plus, they put them on all the time so you they know how to do it. Its less of a pain in the arse for you. Plus you can finance it since its added into the price of the vehicle.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:27 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I just got an email from Oakland Acura -- they're not willing to go below $31,110 + tax and fees on the price, which is funny because the other dealers I've talked to are willing to sell at invoice or below.

Time to deal with the south bay!
Old 05-19-2003, 06:30 PM
Racer

Suckers. Don't buy from them. Also, its better to go in person. Once they know your a serious buyer they'll budge
Old 05-19-2003, 06:31 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Hey Mushutofu:

How much lower does the body kit bring your car's clearance?

I'm scared about putting on the body kit because I don't want to be afraid to drive over speed bumps or come off parking lots with badly sloped ramps and scrape the heck out of the bottom of the car.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:34 PM
Racer

You don't have to worry about that! The front lip lowers the car SLIGHTly, but the rest will easily clear obstacles.
My previous car was a 1999 2dr accord with black widow body kit and 1.75" drop. That car was a bi*&h to drive in the city!!!
You got to remember that this kit is made by Acura. Its gonna have style but still be conservative when it comes to driveability.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:35 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by Mushutofu
Suckers. Don't buy from them. Also, its better to go in person. Once they know your a serious buyer they'll budge
Oh, I went in yesterday to negotiate and told them depending on the price I will buy.

I offered them $31000 with the toys I wanted and they told me they'd check stock and get back to me... but looks like they're not willing to go any lower than $100 over invoice which is bogus.

Besides, I've felt so much more comfortable dealing, albeit just over email, with Stevens Creek Acura (so sojah- you should consider working with them too).

Sojah: what color are you looking to get?

Mushu: what color did you get? Got pics? So you ended up paying how much exactly (include destination + your accessories)
Old 05-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

Lore, I have been in contact with David Treadway of Stevens Creek acura and they will go about ~$30,400 for the 2003 TL type-S w/navi and offered me the body kit for $1,356. Also I have been talkin to Steven from SunnyVale, his price is around the same for the car.

-I guess the navigation system is pretty worthless, unless you go to places that you dont know your way around huh? Im having second thoughts about gettin that now.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:38 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

You don't have to worry about that! The front lip lowers the car SLIGHTly, but the rest will easily clear obstacles.
My previous car was a 1999 2dr accord with black widow body kit and 1.75" drop. That car was a bi*&h to drive in the city!!!
You got to remember that this kit is made by Acura. Its gonna have style but still be conservative when it comes to driveability.
I looked at pictures with people with the side spoilers and it looks like it brings the car's clearance down quite a bit... not only that, but the front lip is the part that causes the most scratches when you up those badly shaped driveway ramps. The Oakland Kaiser's parking garage has a REALLY bad ramp that is almost a V -- from the road until where the ramp starts it dips that much!

Ideally I would like to go for a ride with someone with the kit installed. You up for driving me and sojah around?
Old 05-19-2003, 06:38 PM
Racer

Thats about the same price I paid for my kit. Add another 600 for the spoiler and it comes out to about the same. And BTW the navi is worthless. Unless you got on lots of road trips.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:40 PM
Racer

LOL. If you guys want to meet up I dont see y not. But trust me in most instances you won't scrape. Have you guy sever driven a lowered vehicle? If not then there are ways of contorting your car so that you don't scratch. I'm a master at that.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:41 PM
Intermediate

I really wanna get a black TL type-s w/ black leather, something simple, yet sweet!! =) what bout you? This is gonna be my first car, so im pretty excited. How much do you plan on putting for the down payment? I was thinking about $5000, is that a good amount?
Old 05-19-2003, 06:42 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by sojah07
Lore, I have been in contact with David Treadway of Stevens Creek acura and they will go about ~$30,400 for the 2003 TL type-S w/navi and offered me the body kit for $1,356. Also I have been talkin to Steven from SunnyVale, his price is around the same for the car.

-I guess the navigation system is pretty worthless, unless you go to places that you dont know your way around huh? Im having second thoughts about gettin that now.
Great -- those are the two people I've been working with as well. We should go in there together (it sounds like our purchase timeframe is similar) and say "Look, you guys have the ability to sell TWO cars TODAY to us if you give us good prices"

Did Stevens Creek offer you the body kit for $1356 INSTALLED? Was that price negotiated? Did you get a price for the spoiler? They've given me $629 for the spoiler and $89 for the visor, but I think I can do better than that.

What is Steven of Sunnyvale offering you for the car and body kit?

Navi is kind of important to me; I think I might make good use of it because my job requires me to drive from client to client and occasionally into the city (which I am utterly unfamiliar with). But, it is $2k... who knows.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:43 PM
Racer

I bought my car last week. It was the first car that i've bought (under my name). I qualified for the 2.9% and put 7,500 down.
I got the diamond white pearl TL-S with black leather interior.
Down payment depends on you. The more you put down the less your monthly payments are gonna be.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:45 PM
Racer

Hey Lore

There is a thing called Yahoo Maps j/k
You could save 2K
Old 05-19-2003, 06:45 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I really wanna get a black TL type-s w/ black leather, something simple, yet sweet!! =) what bout you? This is gonna be my first car, so im pretty excited. How much do you plan on putting for the down payment? I was thinking about $5000, is that a good amount?
I want Anthracite w/ black leather (but it comes only in that flavor). This is going to be my first car too. I just priced insurance today and it's up in the $1600-1700 range per 6 months! (!!!) I think I might talk my parents into buying the car in their name and then just having me pay the monthly fees and insurance.

No sense in paying so much more for insurance if I don't have to. That just means I'll need to do all the legwork and have them come in to sign the paperwork.

Hey, mushutofu is up for driving us around -- we should totally get together to check his ride out. Mushu - you paid $1950 for the body kit & spoiler, right?
Old 05-19-2003, 06:46 PM
Racer

Ya.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:47 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I bought my car last week. It was the first car that i've bought (under my name). I qualified for the 2.9% and put 7,500 down.
I got the diamond white pearl TL-S with black leather interior.
Down payment depends on you. The more you put down the less your monthly payments are gonna be.
I forgot to mention that I was planning on putting 0 down for 60 months. I should qualify just fine for 2.9% as well. That's something else to think about -- I figure the downpayment I would have put ($7000) would be better used when invested into bonds or something for the term of the car loan. I can make back more than 2.9%.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:49 PM
Racer

Hmm..thats risky. Bonds have a very slow return rate and right now it would be a gamble. Hey lore what year are you? Done with school?
Old 05-19-2003, 06:49 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Hey Lore

There is a thing called Yahoo Maps j/k
You could save 2K
Very very true... it's just that sometimes you wish you had that GPS system so you knew where the hell you were. But hey, in a fun car, getting lost and driving around is half the fun, right?

You guys got me questioning whether I want the navi now. It can make the price far lower, eh?
Old 05-19-2003, 06:50 PM
Racer

at least 2K. You could do a lot with 2K
Old 05-19-2003, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Lore, have you talked to anyone from the Pleasanton acura? maybe they could give you a even better deal, if you tell them what other places have already offered you. Both stevens creek and sunnyvale are offering about the same price for the cars. I'm not sure if they will go any lower then ~$30,400.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:51 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Hmm..thats risky. Bonds have a very slow return rate and right now it would be a gamble. Hey lore what year are you? Done with school?
Not necessarily bonds, but something like a CD from my bank, which I think should yield more than 4% for a 60 month term.

I also intend on paying the car off in 3 years if I can. The 60 month is just for the lower monthly payments. Granted, spreading it out over an additional 2 years adds $565 to the amount of interest I pay, but it won't be an issue if I pay it off earlier. I think.

I'm a 4th year at Cal and about to graduate.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:54 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Lore, have you talked to anyone from the Pleasanton acura? maybe they could give you a even better deal, if you tell them what other places have already offered you. Both stevens creek and sunnyvale are offering about the same price for the cars. I'm not sure if they will go any lower then ~$30,400.
I talked to Dan Siamat the sales manager. His response was very much like Steven of Sunnyvale - "Give me a price and I'll tell you whether I can do it or not."

Now that I know what Stevens Creek and Sunnyvale are giving you, I have more leverage when talking to Pleasanton. However, I don't know about you, but my feeling working with these dealers is that Dave Treadway of Stevens Creek is the most frank and friendly person to work with.

Oakland Acura has been the least accomodating so far, so they won't get my sale even though I drove the TL on their dime twice.

Do you get that feeling too?

Quick Reply: About to buy TL-S, but what about accessories?