AAAAhhhh tranny on last leg :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: and the plot thickens

Originally posted by copland007

I'm not feeling so alone having a failure in Mass, lol! Which dealer are you heading into?

-copland007
I'm going to Acura of Avon in Canton, CT--where I bought it. It's the closest dealer to my house (Acura of Auburn is a close second). Third gear is constantly slipping. The good part is I can reproduce the slip on demand in SS mode so I shouldn't have to worry about a "could not duplicate" from the dealer. They're giving me a loaner too, but I'm not sure what yet--probably another Integra.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:12 PM
Cruisin'

isnt ther a lemon law up there that like after 3 trys they gotta give u ur money back and take the car back. I just got an 03 tls a week ago and all this transmission $hit is scaring me. It was between this and the g35 but g35 was 4,000 out of my range so i got a tls. I hope this transmission stuff dont happen in the 03's.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

FAWK!!! This is incredible. I hope they will do the recall...period. I would hate to see myself (or any of you guys) got a failure while on a freeway and an 18-wheeler right behind you...FAWK!!!

BTW Coopland, that damn tranny cooler isn't doing any good? I installed one too. The dealer didn't give you any problem? I hope my dealer wonn't blame it on the damn cooler when my tranny goes...I'd be f*cking pissed if they do!!!! arghh!!!!
Old 10-31-2002, 09:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by randomwalk101
FAWK!!! This is incredible. I hope they will do the recall...period. I would hate to see myself (or any of you guys) got a failure while on a freeway and an 18-wheeler right behind you...FAWK!!!

BTW Coopland, that damn tranny cooler isn't doing any good? I installed one too. The dealer didn't give you any problem? I hope my dealer wonn't blame it on the damn cooler when my tranny goes...I'd be f*cking pissed if they do!!!! arghh!!!!
It is unlikely that they are going to do a recall. You would have been better served to install an inline tranny fliter rather than a cooler. Do you tow a lot, if not why did you install a cooler ? The tranny will perform poorly if the fluid is to cool.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:01 PM
Having Fun?

Originally posted by randomwalk101
I didn't get a tranny cooler installed. Dealer said it wouldn't do much for me, and I agree. The parts that are failing have nothing to do with overheating tranny fluid.

-copland007
Old 11-01-2002, 01:46 AM
Racer

OH man! My car has been at the dealer for 2 weeks now, and still the tranny has not shown up:
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=48406

I'm so happy I took mine in when I did, because my wafe was affraid to drive it for this reason. When I told the Dealer, they were like, oh...that won't happen, it won't just give out on the freeway all of a sudden, so crazy, and here is the proof!
Old 11-01-2002, 03:41 PM
Banned

Just got a call from the assistant service manager at Acura of Avon in CT. It's official: my tranny is dead.

2002 TL-S
Build date: May 2001
Purchase date: May 2001
Miles: 24,889
VIN serial: 145XX

ATF had not been changed (planning on doing it at 30,000 miles) but I just checked it at 24,000 when I changed my oil and it was nice and pink and smelled fine. I checked it a couple of days ago and it was black and burnt-smelling. All that in less than 900 miles.

They told me the tranny is currently on back order with no release date, which means they don't even know when to expect one in. He also said this is the first 2002 tranny failure they've seen, although they have two 2000's currently getting tranny's replaced. They were very courteous about it, and they gave me a 2002 TL SSM/no navi as a loaner.
Old 11-01-2002, 03:46 PM
Having Fun?

pianoman41,
Doh!

"He also said this is the first 2002 tranny failure they've seen" - I love that line! I think every dealer has said that, lol!

At least you got a great loaner car.

I'm sure you have or are going to anyways but make sure you call and complain to client services to get you a tranny quicker. Only they have the power to snatch trannies cross-division

-copland007
Old 11-01-2002, 04:16 PM
Banned

I'm sure you have or are going to anyways but make sure you call and complain to client services to get you a tranny quicker. Only they have the power to snatch trannies cross-division

-copland007
I'm giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt until the beginning of next week, as they've never treated me wrong. Service manager is supposed to call me with an ETA on Monday or Tuesday. If I don't here from them or if they give me an unnacceptable ETA I will call ACS.

Gotta go report it at NHTSA too...
Old 11-03-2002, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

I just got my 02 TL-S back on Friday after 18 days in the shop -- all but one of them was spent waiting for the tranny to be delivered. I got to drive a TL the entire time (not a Type S, though) -- great to have it back -- going to drive the piss out of it to see if it's truly fixed. This is the thing that gets me the most -- I've been complaining about my TL-S since I got it in July 01 -- I was told a miriad of things, including 'drive in D4' and 'it's probably not the transmission, it's probably a vacuum' thingy (forgot what he said!). When the tranny slipped into neutral while going 40 mph, I knew I had a problem! I went straight to the dealer and went for a spirited ride with the tech (I let him drive) -- he pointed out all the crap that I'd been complaining about for over a year and said all those things point to a bad tranny. They kept the car, replaced the tranny, and it seems to be better now! We'll see!
Old 11-07-2002, 07:33 PM
Banned

Well, I got the car back Wednesday afternoon (total time at the dealer 5 days, including a weekend). I called down there to see if they even had an ETA for when they would be expecting the tranny, since the dealer was told Friday (when I dropped the car off) the trannies were on national backorder with no release date. I expected a bunch of excuses and instead I got "we just finished test driving the car and it's all set--you can come pick it up any time."

The car shifts MUCH smoother. Notwithstanding the slipping in 3rd gear, I didn't realize how rough my old tranny was shifting until comparing it to the new one. On my old tranny, even the shift from 4th to 5th at about 45 mph under normal acceleration was quite noticeable--enough to make me always look down at the speedo and think "ayuh, there's the 4->5 upshift)." Now I hardly notice at all.

Two thumbs up to Acura of Avon for quick, friendly service and a 2002 TL loaner to boot. I highly recommend their service department to anyone in the Western MA/CT/Eastern NY area.

FWIW, the service manager (Chris) stated that Acura still doesn't know what is causing the failures (or isn't telling the dealerships). He *did* say that this is costing Acura some serious $$$ to replace these trannies under warranty, so it would be in their best interest to isolate the problem and fix it ASAP. He told me that (like others have posted on this board) they are not allowed to crack open the tranny but have to send it back as is to Acura. He said it costs him (and in turn, Acura) approximately $500 to ship one tranny to wherever it is they ship them and it costs Acura about the same when shipping a new one. Which means (at least for New England), every tranny replacement costs Acura $1000 just in shipping charges. Then there's the labor and the cost of the tranny itself.

Wish me luck with tranny #2...... <fingers crossed>
Old 11-07-2002, 08:17 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Good luck and I am on tranny #3. You are right about the smoothness thing, that is the new tranny is sooo smooth.

BTW, I just did a major ***** letter to Acura about my trannys, saying I have lost confidence in the Acuras reliability, asked if they fixed the problem on my reconditioned unit and asked them to buy my car back. We will see what they say.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:59 AM
Racer

Didn't think I was going to be in this either, but I was also at 25K miles, though I had my car a few more months than you. Welcome to the club for whats worth Just got my car back this week, though now I'm worried if this tranny will last either
Old 11-08-2002, 11:57 AM
Having Fun?

Guess who's car is back in the dealership for tranny #4 ???

Time to get the lemon law rolling.....................
Old 11-08-2002, 12:07 PM
Racer

You've got to be kidding .... 4Th Trany... what the heck is going on with your car....
Old 11-08-2002, 01:29 PM
Instructor

AAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2002, 03:58 PM
still a Masshole

Damn, Matt and Matt!,

Sorry to hear about your trannies! Good Luck to you Pianoman41 with the new Tranny and copland007, I think its time to raise hell! Maybe you should call the LA times for them to write up a follow up story! Maybe you can use the article to your advantage and tell Acura that if they don't buy the car back from you or give you a new one that you'll go BACK to the press!
Old 11-09-2002, 12:35 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ferizzo

Maybe you should call the LA times for them to write up a follow up story!
I gotta agree with Freddy on this one. I think they would *love* this kind of follow-up story, to show that there is still a problem and an extended warranty isn't going to fix it--only prolong it.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:39 AM
Having Fun?

Yeah, good suggestion. I'll drop a call in to the LA Times, hehe

I've yet to talk to the investigator from the DOT/NHTSA, we keep playing phone tag. That will be a very interesting conversation when it finally happens.

I'm sick of my car now - I want out.

Dealer called me and said that they couldn't reproduce the problems. I felt it lurch forward a few times in traffic and slip out of 4th once on my way to work. I turned straight around and dropped it off at the dealer.

I told them to keep the car a few days and keep trying to reproduce - look @ tranny fluid - whatever it will take to find out if there is a problem (because I know there is, and I don't feel safe driving my car, period)

He said that after a few days if he can't find the problem they will replace the tranny anyways just on my word (me very surprised to hear this).

Here's the deal though - I don't want another tranny. I want them to agree it is toast - and I want out of the car for good!!! No more of the BS. I am naturally an easy going guy and I can scrape off crap pretty good. But I'm not holding anything back now - Acura has had it. And if they give me any BS about the lemon law I won't stop at the LA Times.

When I asked the service manager what my options were he said to call client services and start a case and that him, and the dealer are behind me on this, he said anything that he needs to do to help me he will. I was pleased to hear that, at least that will be one less wall to fight.

So I have put the initial call into my case manager at client services with the simple question, "how far do I need to go to resolve this situation? Is Honda going to work with me within the constraints of the lemon law, or do I need to get an attorney?" We are awaiting the dealers assessment of the third failing tranny on monday until we put the gears in motion for the case manager to esscalate the issue to his 'executive counsel' for 'getting me out of the car' as he said.

I don't know what to say, I loved this car when it was new. I have always enjoyed the good attitude and sometimes flaky service at Acura of Boston, but god damn is Honda Inc a freaking messed up donkey!!!! Do you hear me Honda, "I WILL NEVER, EVER, FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE, EVER PURCHASE A HONDA PRODUCT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Peace out...
Old 11-09-2002, 04:42 PM
still a Masshole

I'd be pissed too!
Old 11-09-2002, 08:28 PM
Racer

I think I'll check out also, though I don't think its fair for me to take a hit on the car now in a trade-in because its not my fault I can no longer trust this car! Also, this surely can't help resale value of this thing!!

About a week on the new tranny, so far so good, but all these posts have me feeling its not going to last.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:03 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Copeland. I'm really sorry to hear about your 4th. Your first description was exactly what happend to me. (at 27,000+ miles.)
I had an Escalade behind me when the car downshifted to 2nd, at 65 MPH. The Caddy driver got pissed and wanted to take my head off for driving like an ass, and braking for no reason. Of course I asked him (when he caught me at the next light and started yelling) "Did you see any brake lights?" He said no. I explained what happened, and apologized for scaring him. But I almost **** my pants as well.

My dealer called me to tell me that I had a CAI. And that people with CAI's drive the car hard. He said Acura came out and looked at the car, and they determined that they would replace the first tranny as a good will gesture. After reading him the riot act I hung up. He said it would take atleast 14 days. I called him the next day and asked him who from Acura came to look at the car. He stated no one. I called him out on his lie from the previous day, and he said that I must have misunderstood.

I then called Acura Client Services to complain about the insinuation and treatment. The girl on the phone stated that because of the CAI and Comptech springs, I changed the car, and voided the warranty. She reiterrated that the replacement would be a gesture of good will. I told her I was aware of the problems they are having, and that the L.A. Times even did a story on it. She ignored those comments and said "The CAI adds horsepower and torque, and therefore put the transmission under stresses it was not designed for"

I have filled out the NHTSA VOQ and submitted it. My new trans is not much better than the original. It has about 1,500 miles on it now. Under hard acceleration it shifts very slowly and methodically into 4th and 5th. It's sluggish, and not very precise. I still have 11 months left on this lease and really hope I don't have another trans failure.

To add insult to injury... check out what the work order said when I picked the car up.

Good Luck Copeland!!!
Old 11-09-2002, 09:05 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

BTW! My Dealer is Acura of Troy. In Troy Michigan.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:14 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pianoman41,
Doh!

"He also said this is the first 2002 tranny failure they've seen" - I love that line! I think every dealer has said that, lol!

At least you got a great loaner car.

-copland007
I'm glad at least my Acura service rep was honest with me. I went in a couple of weeks ago for pulsating brakes and a oil change. I didn't even have to bring up the fact that the brakes had a service bulletin. When I asked for a loaner, the service rep told me that they were all out from people with busted trannies.

copland007...sorry to hear your misfortune. I just read all four pages of this thread. I test drove a G35 sedan the other day...it's a really nice car.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:20 AM
Burning Brakes

does anybody know if the honda inspire is having the same problems?
Old 11-10-2002, 06:17 AM
Racer

That is such BS they are trying to feed you rock dog!! That CAI adds 5hp if your lucky, and the suspention has nothing to do with the tranny! What A-holes!!

Anytime I'm unsure of a dealer, I take that stuff off just for that very reason. They know perfectly well the trannies are crap and has nothing to do with you. Trying to make it soumd as if they did you a favor!! The nerve!

Knowing my dealer well, I didn't bother on my TL-S and I had comptech headers, exhaust and airfilter when I brought mine if for tranny failure, and they didn't even mention the parts. Again, I think I'm going to start shopping around. I think this will have turned many people away from Honda/Acura. I've changed my mind on the MDX also, even if it doesn't have any issues at all.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:31 AM
still a Masshole

I hope it doesn't happen to me but if it does I might have to get me a used GS400 or a new G35! I feel for you brovas and I don't think any of us should have to deal with a busted tranny or the fear of it failing! Good Luck to you guys!
Old 11-10-2002, 12:37 PM
Having Fun?

ferizzo:
If I didn't hate the looks of the G35 I might have looked closer, hehe

typeSmaximum:
Yeah, I know how you feel. When they called me and said they couldn't reproduce it I told them I refused to drive the car, it's a time bomb.

Rock Dog:
I think it is time for another dealer. If you have more tranny probs get an attorney, it is plain illegal to do to you what they are doing.

magiviper:
That's a good Q

Ok guys, I need some help calming my nerves. I actually couldn't sleep last night because of this god darn car. Here's my dilema. The dealer has said that they can't reproduce the problems with the tranny and that even if they can't they will replace it anyways. That sounds good on the surface, but I don't know if I want that to happen. If they replace the tranny without admitting it is faulty I won't be able to lemon the car until it fails again. If I refuse to have the tranny replaced and hold out until it gets worse I could be putting my life in danger.

Client services is going to be weighing heavily on what the dealer tells them monday about my third tranny. If the dealer says its fine, I won't be able to lemon it. So how will it look if I refuse the tranny swap and keep driving until it fails?

On the flip side - if they do get it to reproduce the symptoms and agree that it is faulty than I have a pretty good chance at getting it lemoned. Than the question is what to do. Do I press for them to put me in a new 2003 TLs and transfer my MODs at no cost? Do I press for a CL Type S because of the manual tranny but loose some of my mods (bodykit)? Do I press for them to just buy the car back and try hunting for a completely new car (which would mean I would need to get together another down payment which would be hard right now)?

Any thoughts anyone?

-copland007
Old 11-10-2002, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Copland007,

They did the exact same thing to me, my work order says that service tech was not able to recreate customer complaint, tranny will be replaced based on customers word that problem exists. I definately beleive that this sidesteps the NYS Lemon Law. You really have no option, if you accept that the tranny is bad and keep the car you are taking responsibility.

As for what to do if they do refund you for your car. If you really want a sedan then the CL is out. The newer 2003's are reported to have the tranny issue resolved, BUT they cannot come up with good replacement units (sounds fishy). Getting a car from another manufacturer is a problem. So where do you stand ? If they gave me the choice, a two door does not work for me, the 2003 would not have a 100k warranty, so it would be take the money and run. Good Luck
Old 11-10-2002, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

Angry

!@#$!#$% I am so mad I could scream!! I actually believed the dealer when he said that the tranny problem was a rare occurance!! 1st replacement was 5/02----Last week was the 4th replacement.......meaning 5 GD tranny's. After getting the swift suffle last week......hubby refused to talk to the Client rep.........told him I was up north for a few days call back Friday.................funny...........by the time I got home Thursday night............they already had the car scheduled for the new(est) replacement................the others we waited weeks for!! Think he was trying to avoid me?? Bet your sweet A**!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any hints on dealing with these guys???? After what I'm reading I don't know if I want a new one even if they gave to me!!

Any advice gladdly accepted!!!

JudieV@aol.com:
Old 11-10-2002, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

juniev,

Check into your states Lemon Law. Have you registered a complaint with the NHTSA as of yet ?

It is obvious that the rebuilt replacement tranny's have not been corrected at this time, although Acura claims that some 2003's are OK.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:44 PM
still a Masshole

I smell lawsuit and recall in the new future!
Old 11-10-2002, 05:38 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

For crying out loud Copland. This must be most frusterating. I thought 3 transmissions were bad, as I am on my 3rd. If mine goes again I will freak.

I hope they buy it back.

Very disappointing.
Old 11-10-2002, 06:18 PM
Banned

Matt, if you haven't already, read this law carefully. This is the Massachusetts Lemon Law in its entirety:

Massachusetts Lemon Law

If you read it all you'll see that you can demand a refund after three or more repair attempts at the same problem or 15 days out of service for repair on the same problem. I'd say you qualify under both conditions. If they still give you a hard time, print out the law and bring it to the dealership. Explain that unless they follow the law, you're going to take out a criminal complaint application in the appropriate district court for violation of this law.
Old 11-10-2002, 06:38 PM
Having Fun?

Thanx for the link Matt. It made for a good read. I'll see what happens in the next few days with client services and take it from there.

Old 11-11-2002, 03:12 AM
Burning Brakes

yeah I really think someone should find out about the inspires.. (I would but I have no idea where to look or even to start) because if they are having the same problems over there then I'm sure the papers would love that.. international story of transmissions failing.. wow it kinda sucks that such a great company is F**KING up this bad... its worse then the president trying to cover up a bj
Old 11-11-2002, 02:34 PM
Having Fun?

The dawn of another day is approaching quickly.

I got the word that the dealer was able to reproduce the problems and have identified the transmission is history!!!!!!!!!

They gave me two thumbs up to pursue Client Services to get the car lemoned. They are backing me 100%, the service mgr, service advisor, and head garage tech that diagnosed it

From that link you sent me Matt the equation:
A reasonable allowance for use for all motor vehicles other than motorcycles shall be obtained by multiplying the total contract price of the vehicle, or in the case of a leased vehicle the total amount of payments made by the consumer to the manufacturer under the terms of the lease agreement, by a fraction having as its denominator one hundred thousand and having as its numerator the number of miles that vehicle traveled prior to the manufacturer's acceptance of its return
That would leave me $9k less the value of the car (since I have put close to 30k miles on the car in 1yr), so I think I am going to push for an extremely new build 2003 TLs and to have all mods moved to the new car (since they were ALL installed at Acura dealerships, except for the strut bar). And while I'm at it get my loan refinanced to a lower APR

I just have to dot the i's and cross the t's with Client Services to get the final okay that the car will be lemoned and replaced.

I'm hoping I have smooth sailing from here on, wish me luck!

-copland007
Old 11-11-2002, 03:10 PM
still a Masshole

Matt,

Good Luck and definitely keep us informed. Is your dealer Acura of Boston? regardless, Kudos to the dealer for backing you up on this!

By the way, where did you get your aftermarket stuff installed? I called Acura of Boston and they told me they didn't do any. I also tried Claire and they told me the same. Looks like I'll have to do my own header install with a buddy of mine.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:33 PM
Having Fun?

ferizzo,
Yup, Acura of Boston. Terry McCormack has been the saving grace of this whole deal (the service mgr). He really has done a great job, he has always been up front and truthful and most importantly on my side throughout this whole deal.

I was crazy and drove down to Park Ave for my comptech installs just incase something like this came up, so I could say that the parts were purchased and installed at a certified Acura dealer. I have bit the bullet on the cost on all my MOD installs (even the body kit) precisely so incase something like this happened.

The upper strut bar I went to Auto Design Haus just because I couldn't get it on.

I got the same line from Acura of Boston when I initially was looking to get comptech springs/sways. They said that they really don't do that type of install and I would be better off going to a store that specializes in it.

Check out either Auto Design Haus or RPM Motor Sports in Allston.

-copland007
Old 11-11-2002, 04:08 PM
Having Fun?

Rock Dog:

Here's something to keep with you in 'your corner' of the fight, info about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

Throw this in their face next time they give you that BS about your intake.

-copland007

Quick Reply: AAAAhhhh tranny on last leg :(