99 TL Smoke from Header/Valve cover Area

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
99 TL Smoke from Header/Valve cover Area

This is related to a previous issued addressed here (link) https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=835696&page=2
It was an issue of slight over heating with a tad of smoke coming from the header cover / valve cover area on the right side right above the header shield.Also there was an issue of fans not working when we thought they were supposed to as well as some slight temp fluctuations with and with out AC on.

We went through everything to figure out the fans and over heating. PCV , fan switch or sensor and just about everything. Mentioned I had aftermarket Thermostat and was advised to immediately switch to Dealer part and did. Since ... temp has been pretty dead on. But i never properly addressed the smoke issue since it kind of stopped for a bit around the time I changed my oil. 01tl4tl had mentioned something about tightening bolts on valve cover to squeeze out oil and re-seal. Did the tightening and they were as tight as can be and did not notice any play so I figured it was not getting tighter.

About a week ago my maintenance light started flashing. OK need an oil change. No Problem, then today the smoke started coming out again a bit more than before or than I remember at least. Again it is coming from in-between the top of the header shield and the bottom of the valve cover on the right side. There is no over heating but summer is coming and would like to address this. 01tl4tl mentioned before that it was a bit minor but that also on his car there was "fresh" oil if you will in the area mentioned Valve/Header and was likely a valve cover gasket that needed tightening.
Is that probably the case and is what is causing the smoke or is it likely a larger issue or maybe as simple as replacing the valve cover gasket? Can I drive with the issue? I checked my oil level and it is a pinch above the lower hole on the dip stick so it has not burned through all my oil but I am worried that since maintenance is due again that it now might dry me out if the smoke continues. I will def do my oil change but need help with whats what. I really need to drive my car but am not willing to risk more damage.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:09 PM
deal with it

Received 378 Likes on 316 Posts
What color is the smoke? Greyish blue burning oil, white is water rare to see that under the hood unless your over heating or blew hose or radiator.

Also any smell?
Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Instructor

I am not sure what color, I have really seen it mostly at night but there is a smell, it does smell like cleanish oil burning and my guess if fueled by the fact that there is fresh oil where the smoke looks to be coming from. I posted pictures in the other thread but there is basically oil in the area I described header shield/lower valve cover area.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Instructor

Anybody? Can I please get some help? Would be much needed and even much more appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:33 AM
deal with it

Received 378 Likes on 316 Posts
Get some carb cleaner spray it where you see the smoke coming from and where you see oil...try not to spray the plastics and sensors keep it to the block.

Once you clean it up keep an eye on it check it daily and when you see oil again you found the leak, you have a bad seal you just have to find it and fix it