90K service-Houston

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90K service-Houston

Im about to hit 90k miles and I just called the dealership and they quoted me $510. Does anyone in Houston know where I can get this done cheaper? Thanks your help
Old 10-01-2005, 02:06 PM
The wood god

you really dont need it as long as you keep up regular maintance on your car, i skipped up on my 60k or whatever
Old 10-02-2005, 01:37 AM
Instructor

sports car repair on 59 chimney rock
Old 10-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
save your money for the 105 K spark plug and timing belt replacement ... Only do what you have to do... e.g., if the brakes went at 45K they probably need to be replaced again.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:04 AM
Instructor

C&M Honda in Stafford. They are off Murphy road. They do great work, honest too, plus cheaper than the stealerships.

Look them up in yahoo.com. The owners are Craig and Mark (hence C&M) and they are former Honda techs.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey3c
save your money for the 105 K spark plug and timing belt replacement ... Only do what you have to do... e.g., if the brakes went at 45K they probably need to be replaced again.
If you wanted to be a cheap-skate and not follow proper maintainance actions.....
You should have bought a KIA.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys for the tip. I'll look into the 2 that were given.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Well I just called the 2 names given above, Sports Car Repair quoted me $700 and C&M quoted me $1100. I think Im just going to take it to the dealership.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sheesh, for that price, might as well take it to the dealer and get a DOCUMENTED proof of work....

JOHN EAGLE ACURA --- Talk to Joe Gonzales, or Doug (service manager)

Those guys will definitely do you right, they helped me out past my 100k tranny failure, really good service there
Old 10-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by spoonfedhatch
sheesh, for that price, might as well take it to the dealer and get a DOCUMENTED proof of work....

JOHN EAGLE ACURA --- Talk to Joe Gonzales, or Doug (service manager)

Those guys will definitely do you right, they helped me out past my 100k tranny failure, really good service there
That's golden!! Dealership work with a smile. That sounds like the best advice yet. Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope Chinaman has a similar experience. Keep us informed.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Racer

hey pat!
it's been a while since i've seen or heard from you. how ya been?
just hit me up on my cell or pm me. i'll get you in touch with my cousin. he'll take care of you.
peter =)
Old 10-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey Peter, how are you? Anyways I ended up taking my car to Sterling McCall and paid $517 for the whole thing. Other places were charging too high and didnt want to call around. I got a TSX has a loaner car. Its got good speed for a little car however the ride was noisy/bumpy.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:58 PM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chinaman38
Hey Peter, how are you? Anyways I ended up taking my car to Sterling McCall and paid $517 for the whole thing. Other places were charging too high and didnt want to call around. I got a TSX has a loaner car. Its got good speed for a little car however the ride was noisy/bumpy.
i remember getting a tsx as a loaner car and your really right, it packs a punch for a 4-banger, but its too noisy.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:29 AM
Racer

been good, but busy. overall doin alright. still in school as usual =)
i'm gonna be a professional student!
Old 10-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by uncald4
If you wanted to be a cheap-skate and not follow proper maintainance actions.....
agreed
Old 10-12-2005, 12:03 AM
Racer

i totally think that that statement is bogus!!! just because you spend money on a nice car does not mean that you should go and get shafted by the dealership.. and just because some people purchase a less expensive car doesn't mean that they should skip all of their maintenance. there are plenty of places that will do the same if not better quality work than a dealership. there are plenty of dealerships that overcharge for their sh!tty workmanship. there are plenty of things that are not necessary during these routine scheduled maintenances. if you look at the list of things that are "required", many of them do not make sense or are things that are easily done by oneself if you have any car-sense whatsoever.

i take my car to roman at john eagle who has always taken car of me, but at the same time, i don't go in there and agree to everything they throw at me. i say definitely pay for things that you are not capable of doing yourself or things that would take too much time to be done at home, but for everything else, be smart about what you spend. you've worked hard for your money, make the dealership do the same!

just my 2 pennies,
peter =)
Old 10-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Petrie1997
i totally think that that statement is bogus!!! just because you spend money on a nice car does not mean that you should go and get shafted by the dealership.. and just because some people purchase a less expensive car doesn't mean that they should skip all of their maintenance. there are plenty of places that will do the same if not better quality work than a dealership. there are plenty of dealerships that overcharge for their sh!tty workmanship. there are plenty of things that are not necessary during these routine scheduled maintenances. if you look at the list of things that are "required", many of them do not make sense or are things that are easily done by oneself if you have any car-sense whatsoever.

i take my car to roman at john eagle who has always taken car of me, but at the same time, i don't go in there and agree to everything they throw at me. i say definitely pay for things that you are not capable of doing yourself or things that would take too much time to be done at home, but for everything else, be smart about what you spend. you've worked hard for your money, make the dealership do the same!

just my 2 pennies,
peter =)
I agree with what you said. Which does not contradict what I said. Would you agree that....

A person that decides to purchase an expensive car would naturally expect to pay more in maintainence and repair charges?

And would you agree that it is harder to find someone that can perform QUALITY work on that expensive car?

And would you agree that it is more detrimental to that expensive car to "skip" suggested maintainence?

If you agreed to the questions above than you would consider it IRRESPONSIBLE for the person to....
Originally Posted by mickey3c
So it would make more sense for this person to ignore needed maintainence on a lesser valued car. And furthermore could have potentially less expense driving a KIA RIO than an Acura TL. Afterall that seems to be his main concern. Whereas our concern would be to maintain our Acura TL to the BEST of our ability. Does it not make you cringe when you witness a TL that has not been properly cared for?

O.K. I'll shut up.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Racer

I agree with what you said. Which does not contradict what I said. Would you agree that....

A person that decides to purchase an expensive car would naturally expect to pay more in maintainence and repair charges?

And would you agree that it is harder to find someone that can perform QUALITY work on that expensive car?

And would you agree that it is more detrimental to that expensive car to "skip" suggested maintainence?

If you agreed to the questions above than you would consider it IRRESPONSIBLE for the person to....

So it would make more sense for this person to ignore needed maintainence on a lesser valued car. And furthermore could have potentially less expense driving a KIA RIO than an Acura TL. Afterall that seems to be his main concern. Whereas our concern would be to maintain our Acura TL to the BEST of our ability. Does it not make you cringe when you witness a TL that has not been properly cared for?

O.K. I'll shut up.

one last thing and then i'll quit =)
i still believe that you should do only what is necessary. take for instance, the engine air filter (simplest example). you should change it whenever necessary i.e. when it is dirty, and not whenever the dealership tells you that the "book" says to change it. you might be driving in a cleaner and less dusty environment than most people and therefore not yet need to spend that money.

most of the maintenance work is the same from car to car. there is not much difference in terms of oil change, tranny fluid change, greasing ball and joints... from one car to the next. finding someone to do quality work shouldn't differ from one make to the next. someone who takes pride in what they do will perform equally in both cases.

i agree that one should not "skip" maintenance work. rather you should clarify and justify each and every item that the dealer tells you is necessary for the proper maintenance of your vehicle.

my argument is for people who are limited in the amount of money they can afford to spend on maintenance of their already rather expensive automobile. if someone has money to spare, then go for it. but if you're already financially stressed, then you've gotta make smarter decisions (which may still allow for proper upkeep of your car).

alright, that's just me blabberin on. i'm done...
peter =)
Old 10-13-2005, 12:35 AM
Former Sponsor

one last thing and then i'll quit =)
i still believe that you should do only what is necessary. take for instance, the engine air filter (simplest example). you should change it whenever necessary i.e. when it is dirty, and not whenever the dealership tells you that the "book" says to change it.
Do you mean... wait until the filter is clogged? Because an air filter is "dirty" the same day that it is installed.

most of the maintenance work is the same from car to car. there is not much difference in terms of oil change, tranny fluid change, greasing ball and joints... from one car to the next. finding someone to do quality work shouldn't differ from one make to the next. someone who takes pride in what they do will perform equally in both cases.
I have to disagree with you on this one. My Type-S will never be touched by the same mechanic that specializes in KIA's or Daewoo's or even Chevy's. You're telling me that there is no reason that Mercedes mechanics get paid more that Ford mechanics? That's retarded. The reality is that Ford mechanics do not need the same skill that a Mercedes mechanic would need. I work on cars all day, everyday. There is a reason that I charge almost double what the dude down the block charges.

i agree that one should not "skip" maintenance work. rather you should clarify and justify each and every item that the dealer tells you is necessary for the proper maintenance of your vehicle.
What about preventative maintainence. Should you wait until your oil is black and burnt? Should you wait until your brake pads are completely gone to change them? Should you wait until your timing belt snaps to replace it?

Stupidity says that people do wait until.......

my argument is for people who are limited in the amount of money they can afford to spend on maintenance of their already rather expensive automobile. if someone has money to spare, then go for it. but if you're already financially stressed, then you've gotta make smarter decisions (which may still allow for proper upkeep of your car).
My advice is..... If you can't afford it. Don't buy it.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:15 PM
Racer

Do you mean... wait until the filter is clogged? Because an air filter is "dirty" the same day that it is installed.

I have to disagree with you on this one. My Type-S will never be touched by the same mechanic that specializes in KIA's or Daewoo's or even Chevy's. You're telling me that there is no reason that Mercedes mechanics get paid more that Ford mechanics? That's retarded. The reality is that Ford mechanics do not need the same skill that a Mercedes mechanic would need. I work on cars all day, everyday. There is a reason that I charge almost double what the dude down the block charges.

What about preventative maintainence. Should you wait until your oil is black and burnt? Should you wait until your brake pads are completely gone to change them? Should you wait until your timing belt snaps to replace it?

Stupidity says that people do wait until.......

My advice is..... If you can't afford it. Don't buy it.

i'll agree to disagree on this one. have you seen some of the mercedes/bmw mechanics and what shoddy work they do??? just because you're paying someone more money does not mean that you will get better quality work. remember that i said that a person who takes pride in what they do will do the same quality work regardless. that is probably why you do better work. i'm guessing that it's because you pride your work and not just because you're getting paid more.

preventative maintenance: there is a lifespan on the oil. unless you're completely oblivious to car care would you let the oil become "black and burnt" or let your pads start grinding the rotors. the fact of the matter is that if you know anything about cars, then you can make educated decisions regarding the care of your vehicle. if you have absolutely no idea of what is going on, then best to let the dealership dictate your maintenance schedule. you might as well get the rust protection on your paint and the underbody protection as well!
Old 10-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Racer

Thumbs up

but all this aside. glad you got all your work done pat.
hope to see ya around soon.
peter =)
Old 10-13-2005, 11:33 PM
Former Sponsor

i'll agree to disagree on this one.
I agree with all dat. I think that it's completely rediculous that you can't expect high end service from high end establishments.

I have a great example. I've been debating about posting a thread about this....

Two weeks ago I took our TL in to have the front bumper repainted. I did alot of research and found the most prestigious body shop within reasonable distance. To make a long story short..... They fucked up. I got in their ass. I realized that they wouldn't have done a "GOOD" job unless we had requested a "GOOD" job. So they repainted it. Just picked up the TL yesterday. It looks awesome. Why didn't it look that good the first time? If I'm paying $700 bucks to paint a bumper..... I want a fucking "GOOD" job.

I think that we both have the same goal. And I think that we actually agree. You're talking in "REALITY" and I'm talking in "SHOULD-ALITY".
Old 10-13-2005, 11:42 PM
Racer

hey travis,
i'm glad they finally got your bumper done right! =)
yep. i guess we both do have the same goals when it comes to our cars! nice talkin with you.
peter =)