6000k or 8000k help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 11:05 AM
www.grounded4life.org

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6000k or 8000k help

i tried to do a search but couldnt find exactly what i was lookin for. i dont know weather to go with the 6000k or 8000k bulbs im lookin for a bluish purplish color like when i first turn my factory hids on. also where is a goodreasonable place to get them from i heard to go with the philips. i called hidexpress i got a prices 6000k $209 shipped n 8000k $219 shipped but they werent philips he said they were basically the same. THANX
Old 11-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey mikey- i bought bulbs a few months ago...i bought from hidking.com....$140 shipped. i went with 8000k.....8000k is more blue than it is white, or purple....now that i look back i'm REALLY glad i didn't buy 6ks.....they're too white and purply....8000k really gets people attention. that's my honest opinion. doesn't REALLy matter what brand the bulbs are, they'll last a while. check it out, hidking.com..

lemme know what you think. -shawn
Old 11-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Young Fresh 2 Def

If you want that purple-ish color for ur lights go with 12000K, they burn at a much higher temp, this gives the bulb its purple-ish color. The web site for the lights are www.advantagewholesaler.com
Old 11-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i wouldnt go above 6000k the higher you go up in K the less luseable light output you get
Old 11-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
i wouldnt go above 6000k the higher you go up in K the less luseable light output you get

Ditto...IMO...HID bulbs were one of my WORST mods ever.
(FYI...I have genuine Phillips 6000k bulbs).

An HID conversion is one thing...but swapping out HID bulbs for another set of HID bulbs purely for "color" is the biggest waste of $$$ ever. If I had to do it all over again...I would of used that money on pulleys instead.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Kollage is funn!

speakin of light output- i recently drove a 04 TSX (maybe 05??) at the dealership when my car was in service....at night, the HIDs sucked.....the edge of the light is like a friggin line....i'm guessing it had projectors (hehe didn't even remember to go out and look)....that was so freakin distracting.....

i sat in the car, i'm like "something's different...." my car isn't like this. damn and i though our TLs had a definitive sharp edge...

just wondering what you guys think of this for those of you who know what i mean.

BTW- the loss of light @ 8k doesn't really bother me....if i concentrate REAL hard i guess i could see how there could be more light, but....after i get my 8k fogs, i'll have some more light. -peace
Old 11-16-2004, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by shawn744
speakin of light output- i recently drove a 04 TSX (maybe 05??) at the dealership when my car was in service....at night, the HIDs sucked.....the edge of the light is like a friggin line....i'm guessing it had projectors (hehe didn't even remember to go out and look)....that was so freakin distracting.....

i sat in the car, i'm like "something's different...." my car isn't like this. damn and i though our TLs had a definitive sharp edge...

just wondering what you guys think of this for those of you who know what i mean.

BTW- the loss of light @ 8k doesn't really bother me....if i concentrate REAL hard i guess i could see how there could be more light, but....after i get my 8k fogs, i'll have some more light. -peace
NOT TO TRY TO INSULT YOU OR ANYTHING... BUT IM ASSUMING THAT YOU ARE VERY IGNORANT WHEN IT COMES TO HIDZ.... TSX. HAS FAR THE BEST PROJECTORS OUT THERE IN THE MARKET.... AND ITS NOT CALLED A "FRIGGIN LINE" ITS CALLED A CUTOFF LINE.. .. PROJECTORS REDUCE GLARE TO ONCOMIN TRAFFIC... THEY GIVE YOU THAT PURPLISH BLUISH COLOR.. DEPENDING ON THE ANGLE YOU LOOK AT IT.. WHILE KEEPING ALL THE BENEFITS OF A REGULAR 4100K PHILIPS BULB... PURPOSE OF HIDZ IS FOR BETTER ILLUMINATION AT NIGHT... YOU ARE LOOSING BRIGHTNESS AS YOU GO HIGHER IN KELVINS.... MIGHT AS WELL STICK WITH HALOGEN.. OR DO A HALOGEN CONVERSION ON YOUR SECOND GEN....
Old 11-16-2004, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by noRe456
NOT TO TRY TO INSULT YOU OR ANYTHING... BUT IM ASSUMING THAT YOU ARE VERY IGNORANT WHEN IT COMES TO HIDZ.... TSX. HAS FAR THE BEST PROJECTORS OUT THERE IN THE MARKET.... AND ITS NOT CALLED A "FRIGGIN LINE" ITS CALLED A CUTOFF LINE.. .. PROJECTORS REDUCE GLARE TO ONCOMIN TRAFFIC... THEY GIVE YOU THAT PURPLISH BLUISH COLOR.. DEPENDING ON THE ANGLE YOU LOOK AT IT.. WHILE KEEPING ALL THE BENEFITS OF A REGULAR 4100K PHILIPS BULB... PURPOSE OF HIDZ IS FOR BETTER ILLUMINATION AT NIGHT... YOU ARE LOOSING BRIGHTNESS AS YOU GO HIGHER IN KELVINS.... MIGHT AS WELL STICK WITH HALOGEN.. OR DO A HALOGEN CONVERSION ON YOUR SECOND GEN....
not to insult you or any thing but projectors are the WORST headlight to look at head on. they produce alot more of a blinding glare with little movemets and bumps in the road. im sure in big citys where there is alot more light it isnt as bad but in the midwest where there arent big citys they SUCK! i spend the majority of my day in the car and hate looking at projectors coming at me. HID or not.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Racer

actually, i don't think HID's are the worst. Those new trucks and suburbans and shit have some damn bright as halogen lights that I hate looking at.

HID's definitely are not that bad.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:38 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
not to insult you or any thing but projectors are the WORST headlight to look at head on. they produce alot more of a blinding glare with little movemets and bumps in the road. im sure in big citys where there is alot more light it isnt as bad but in the midwest where there arent big citys they SUCK! i spend the majority of my day in the car and hate looking at projectors coming at me. HID or not.
I also notice that, when a car is driving toward me it looks like 2 motorcycles with the light flickering and changing colors with every little bump...while ours stays even and consistent. Everyone who rides in my car comments on how nice the lights are - even my dad's brother who has a newer Audi.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:40 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldTL
actually, i don't think HID's are the worst. Those new trucks and suburbans and shit have some damn bright as halogen lights that I hate looking at.

HID's definitely are not that bad.
those lights are bright because they are so high...thats the only reason. Halogen blubs put out way less light output than 4300K or even 6000K HID's now over that, you get about as good as regular halogen bulbs.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:10 AM
Racer

yeh i guess it's the height, but I really don't have any trouble looking at HID lights.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:10 AM
:heart: Boosted Carz

Originally Posted by Mikey3.2
i tried to do a search but couldnt find exactly what i was lookin for. i dont know weather to go with the 6000k or 8000k bulbs im lookin for a bluish purplish color like when i first turn my factory hids on. also where is a goodreasonable place to get them from i heard to go with the philips. i called hidexpress i got a prices 6000k $209 shipped n 8000k $219 shipped but they werent philips he said they were basically the same. THANX
That was me you called. LOL! I said they were the same high grade quality as phillips. Manufactured st8 from Japan, and up to Japan's highest standards. It comes w/ a 6 months warranty. If anything happens to the bulb, go ahead and send it back and I'll replace it free of charge. I can also give you a $20 off if you're interested. I'll give you guys the gift code for online purchasing. Its "LAWT"
Old 11-17-2004, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shawn744

The TSX and the new 3rd Gen TL has projectors on. The HID bulbs are inside a sub-assembly that is what actually "projects" the light as opposed to the bulb reflecting light on the reflectors surrounding it. It's the effect of the HID bulb coupled with the round glass of the projector lens that gives you that blue/ purple effect when seen at an angle and not just the bulb alone. Sort of a "prismatic" effect. BMW, Benz and Audis. etc.. have used these for years, but if you actually drove one, you do NOT see any blue light. The output seen from the driver's standpoint is still a very bright white light. Ricers want this pure cosmetic look but fail to understand that there is no usable light from a blue imitation bulb. (same mentality as wanting side markers, cleared Lexus-looking taillights or anything their car didn't come with). If you want "bluer" looking bulbs, I suggest downgrading to a halogen system. They have a wider variety of colors to choose from and their bulbs are readily available. It's like going LID instead of HID.

A higher K HID bulb means a higher color "temperature" close to the blue spectrum (away from the white range) and not actual bulb temperature. The 4700K of the OEM TL is closest to the brightest white light and can be brighter than some HID-equipped european car.

The 2nd Gen TL had 2 styles, the 99-01 had what looked like a sealed beam inside the headlight assembly (better IMO). That extra flat lens diffused the light and made the beam look even. The next style for the late 01 to 03 had a simple open style with the reflectors not different from any halogen equipped car. This combined a "hot" part of the beam directly head-on and a good diffused part (the peripheral part of the beam) that's why we notice a difference between a projector equipped car from ours.

There are 2 schools of thought here. The ones that seem to think that a bluer bulb is better (being away from the yellow spectrum, it DOES look brighter, but not brighter than white) who go for it merely for cosmetic purposes and other people's opinions. And ones who think that their light output really does matter from the viewpoint of the driver's seat. Either way, it's your money you're spending on this free society of ours and spend it anyway you like.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:10 PM
Kollage is funn!

well skipping over nore456's rude outburst, i agree with fsttyms1...it is pretty blinding looking at projectors....even when i was driving it, i could see a lot of the line going into drivers eyes, and i thought, "wow, this is as high up as my TL's hids"....and i raised my TLs lights up. so...

like vicman, and everyone else said, blue DOES take away from the light output, ....the question is, how much output do you feel comfortable driving with? -peace