33mpg 00 TL (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 07:10 PM
o.O

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chevron and shell have techron. i feel as though it has a lot to do with it. I only fill up with those. When im lower on funds, i go with 89, but every chance I get I go with 91. There deffinantly is a difference in both. Im sure you cant feel it, but in the long run you will.

I just got the car and seems to be getting horrible gas milage..need to figure out why because my 93 integra was getting way more and it didnt run as great. I filled up and I got a little over 300. Any suggestions?

Last edited by ProjectTLS; 08-23-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:18 PM
4th Gear

I drive 160 miles a day all freeway and I was getting 400 miles to a tank with 86 octane at 30 to 33 mpg. I feel like thats not to bad. But I don't understand how anyone is getting 450 to 500 a tank? My car is a 00 TL-P. Are there different tank sizes W/ TL's? I just added a custom ram air intake and dyno'd my car on an all wheel drive mustang dyno in Utah at my work and it made w/ stock air box, 163hp & 161 FT-LBS of twist (torque) and with the intake It got me 168hp & 163 FT-LBS of torque! So not much but when i figure out what it does to my fuel economy I will re-post my dyno graph and new fuel #'s but the intake stays regardless! SOUNDS GREAT & LOOKS GOOD! I will post pics of it to!
Old 08-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Burning Brakes

sure using 87 octane and putting around town like an old lady might save you a couple of $$ but is it really worth it?

i typically get about 450 to the tank without the light on.. 470 with it on.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok so I had my 2002 TL-S since it had 46K and @ 88K i drove to Austin. Since I owned it i put in 93 octaine and never the cheap shit, so the tank before I drove to austin i put in 87 and it ran like shit. On the way to austin the tranny went out. Is is related? All I know is 40K miles no prob then the week i ran 87 the tranny went out in the middle of nowhere
Old 08-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 03aspec
sure using 87 octane and putting around town like an old lady might save you a couple of $$ but is it really worth it?

i typically get about 450 to the tank without the light on.. 470 with it on.
got house payments? looking to build personal wealth? I don't expect many people to get that you're just burning money, but hey if it works for you to burn extra cash burn it. I keep mine, we'll see how you're doing in 20 years. $10/week over 20 years is ALOT of money when invested.

Originally Posted by oulaw29
Ok so I had my 2002 TL-S since it had 46K and @ 88K i drove to Austin. Since I owned it i put in 93 octaine and never the cheap shit, so the tank before I drove to austin i put in 87 and it ran like shit. On the way to austin the tranny went out. Is is related? All I know is 40K miles no prob then the week i ran 87 the tranny went out in the middle of nowhere
Your tranny is not connected to your gas. I'd honestly be surprised if you could tell the difference in the gas on straight highway. Likely the issues you noticed were related to the tranny about to blow up.

Either way, I think I'm up to about 30-50k, maybe more, (I really lost track) on regular, 87oc gas. I'm not really opening up the debate on gas grades again, just posting my results so people can track my performance.

I have been driving a little faster on the freeway lately as I'm trying to work less and do more outside of work. Faster I get home the faster I get to play... a 5am to 8pm day is no fun.

Well either way, enjoy the results, you guys are way to sceptical.... remind yourselves, it is JUST a car. You'll have many over the years.

Last edited by rob-2; 08-24-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:38 AM
Burning Brakes

how do you figure its $10/week? your saving about $1.50 on each tank.. i fill my tank once a week.. so i would be saving $1.50 each week..whoopty friggin dooo.. ill have a house in 10,000 years!!! yay me!
Old 08-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

how do you figure its $10/week? your saving about $1.50 on each tank.. i fill my tank once a week.. so i would be saving $1.50 each week..whoopty friggin dooo.. ill have a house in 10,000 years!!! yay me!
Works out to be $3-4/fillup in my area.

But really drop the attitude. Once you have house payments, and actual financial responsibilities beyond car/dating/rent you'll understand saving a few bucks here and there. It goes along way.

Its your life, you spend your money like you want. In 10-15 years you can look back on it and determine if that's how you wanted to spend your money. If you're then where you wanted to be in life, with the house, cars, savings you had expected. This works for me, it might not work for you. BUT if you're doing what the rest of the country is doing, be warned it leads to financial ruin. We buy in cash, except for our houses. Those require mortgages. Since we buy in cash, we watch what we spend closely. A simple choice to buy 87 oc gas is an easy and consitant way to spend less money.

I'll report back in another 100k, on how the car is doing on 87oc gas. I've run the numbers on the savings somewhere else, maybe earlier in this thread. Over many years you save enough to buy another car. There were some assumptions in my calculations. Might be of note for you to review it.

Remeber this though, whatever you save, typically doubles in value ever 7-10years when invested. I want my money doubling, not burning.

Last edited by rob-2; 08-24-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Burning Brakes

go buy a honda fit
Old 08-24-2008, 07:45 PM
o.O

Old 08-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

go buy a honda fit
This is your best response? Go learn yourself about dollars and sense kid...
Old 08-24-2008, 07:57 PM
hates the winter

If your injectors fail, or any other part of your fuel/emissions system fails and you have to replace it you will be spending double what you saved on the 87octane gas.

Your car already gets good MPG, and you seem to maintain it. I would rather put in the required fluids/gas/parts to keep it that way to keep the cost of ownership low. I know you haven't really had any problems with it so far, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. It's preventive maintence.

I understand that times are tough, and it's important to save/invest money but I highly doubt purchasing gas is going to make or break you. Who knows, you might be able to run the car it's entire life on the 87 gas with no problems and I'd be happy for you. Especially since you saved money using it. Your 33mpg with 87 could have been 35.5 mpg with premium so that would even out the savings.

Some people here are being a little harsh on you, and I don't want you to think I am as well. It's just my opinion and when it comes to cars (especially Honda/Acura) to stick with the recomended parts/fluids/fuel.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by rob-2
Works out to be $3-4/fillup in my area.

But really drop the attitude. Once you have house payments, and actual financial responsibilities beyond car/dating/rent you'll understand saving a few bucks here and there. It goes along way.

Its your life, you spend your money like you want. In 10-15 years you can look back on it and determine if that's how you wanted to spend your money. If you're then where you wanted to be in life, with the house, cars, savings you had expected. This works for me, it might not work for you. BUT if you're doing what the rest of the country is doing, be warned it leads to financial ruin. We buy in cash, except for our houses. Those require mortgages. Since we buy in cash, we watch what we spend closely. A simple choice to buy 87 oc gas is an easy and consitant way to spend less money.

I'll report back in another 100k, on how the car is doing on 87oc gas. I've run the numbers on the savings somewhere else, maybe earlier in this thread. Over many years you save enough to buy another car. There were some assumptions in my calculations. Might be of note for you to review it.

Remeber this though, whatever you save, typically doubles in value ever 7-10years when invested. I want my money doubling, not burning.
And now its my turn. YOU are one of the VERY FEW that actually get good mileage on with 87, Not every one does. I see a performance difference. Im not a granny on the gas. I get 30-33 on the hwy with 93, 26-27mpg hwy with 87. I would waste more than 3-4 dollars putting in 87 over 91+Per tank. And i do own a house, 2 actually, 2 expeditions, a 4 wheeler, a boat and a very thirsty jetski (it will burn up a 16 gallon tank full of gas in 3 hrs or less. I know how every penny counts. The money i save on 91 over 87 puts gas in the toys. I fill up on average 3 to 4 times a week. Just my car!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ChrisQ1980

Some people here are being a little harsh on you, and I don't want you to think I am as well. It's just my opinion and when it comes to cars (especially Honda/Acura) to stick with the recomended parts/fluids/fuel.
Its not that all of us are harsh, but he keeps insisting that one would see NO difference using 87 vs 91 which isnt always true. He needs to tell people that results vary.

Look at how many members have a hard time breaking the 300 miles to a tank barrier
Old 08-24-2008, 09:06 PM
hates the winter

^^^^ You aren't, some are being a lil rude. lol You state personal reference as does he which is the way to do it for this type of comparison. I personally would never use anything less than premium in my car since that's what it calls for.

I filled up with 87 once by accident, and drove like a grandma to be sure I didn't cause a knock/ping. Drove the car till it was almost out of gas. Car ended up getting good mileage around 28mpg, but I drove it easy. I get 28-29 with premium driving the way I LIKE to drive, so I guess I noticed a difference as well. I'm just not willing to do a long term test. lol

I don't think Rob is going to change his ways when it comes to gas and we should probably leave him alone with it now. haha I just hope he proves us wrong and nothing malfunctions because of the extended use of lower octane fuel.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisQ1980
....Your 33mpg with 87 could have been 35.5 mpg with premium so that would even out the savings....
I would really be interested to know if anybody has experienced this.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by totaledTL
I would really be interested to know if anybody has experienced this.
Experienced what? High mileage?? I do all the time.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Experienced what? High mileage?? I do all the time.
Reread the post....exactly what was quoted.... "Originally Posted by ChrisQ1980
....Your 33mpg with 87 could have been 35.5 mpg with premium so that would even out the savings...."
Old 08-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Actually guys what I'm trying to show is two fold

1. TL is getting better MPG then EPA rating
2. Contrary to myth, my tl does not suffer poor MPG due to 87

The second point is where I suspect the greatest level of ignorance and disbelief reside. So I am adding/updating the content of this post as things unfold with the car.

I do find it interesting that when I post something that is contrary to the mass populous opinion that I am slammed with angry posts. Not by Kris himself but by others, often young kids who are only angry about a different opinion because they don't know any better.

You're right, if my fuel system goes I'll be out more then the savings of gas. At that point, I'd likely buy a new motor all together. So far though it's been nothing but regular maintenance.

I've documented it in other places that the 87 vs. 91 is almost moot. I don't tell everyone they MUST switch over, but if there was someone like me who'd rather put that money to better use, they could see at least someone else who's done it. Documented the results and is mature enough that if something was to happen will be back to update this thread.

I don't actually see how this is far more different then someone who puts a SC or Turbo on an auto tranny that will blow up due to the extra power. In my case I'm taking a luxury car that owes me nothing and saving $10/week.

I'd love to see all the ignorant fools who post in this thread about the gas, be so harsh of others to modify their cars to put out more power and will certainly pay for it in poor MPG and mechanical issues.

I appreciate the concern that people are being unusually harsh. Thank you. What concerns me most is the level of ignorance and anger. People need to chill. Life is good.

Last edited by rob-2; 08-25-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Burning Brakes

This is your best response? Go learn yourself about dollars and sense kid...
you're trying to teach me about dollars and cents? lol.... i may act a little immature on the internet, but it's just the internet... im actually quite far from being a kid.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

and i actually do know better, this is my second TL. my old 00 NGM ran like shit on regular, and i noticed loss of power. the same goes with my current TL, i had a tank of regular in it for a week and i felt noticeable power loss.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Drifting

Some good points Rob-2-

BTW, what became of the scanner you were checking on that would read out instantaneous data- I think that's what it would do, forgot the terms. To see if you could tell if the ECM was retarding the timing, detecting knock, etc.? Any progress?

Last edited by totaledTL; 08-25-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:47 PM
o.O

what speed do you travel on the highway?
Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

you're trying to teach me about dollars and cents? lol.... i may act a little immature on the internet, but it's just the internet... im actually quite far from being a kid.
Then act like an adult if you want to be treated like one. And no it was dollars and sense. Like common sense which isn't so common in childern these days.

Some good points Rob-2-

BTW, what became of the scanner you were checking on that would read out instantaneous data- I think that's what it would do, forgot the terms. To see if you could tell if the ECM was retarding the timing, detecting knock, etc.? Any progress?
Cannot rent one in the state of California for legal reasons. I'm trying to source it in Nevada. But I'm rarely there for long enough.

Originally Posted by ProjectTLS
what speed do you travel on the highway?
Between 70-80mph
Old 08-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
rob- you did run an odometer-speedo test with a handheld gps- so you know the miles drivin numbers are correct- iirc
Your car must be magic!!- great mileage on the same trips I take using 91 and dont get near that result. Of course sticky tires may detract slightly, and the need to vtec past trucks on hills and..... mmm, maybe the TL gets better mileage after 100k miles- when the engine is finally broken in!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
rob- you did run an odometer-speedo test with a handheld gps- so you know the miles drivin numbers are correct- iirc
Your car must be magic!!- great mileage on the same trips I take using 91 and dont get near that result. Of course sticky tires may detract slightly, and the need to vtec past trucks on hills and..... mmm, maybe the TL gets better mileage after 100k miles- when the engine is finally broken in!
I've got the TomTom software installed on my phone, however it doesnt seem to tell me distance covered, only the distance from current location to end desination. So in short I have no found an easy way to confirm data. I often never go right from where I am to where the end point is. I make stops, get gas, and food. I am working on that aspect though.

I am almost certain its my driving style, I'm very smooth and consistant.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Cannot rent one in the state of California for legal reasons
. I'm trying to source it in Nevada. But I'm rarely there for long enough.
Yea another great idea by the state of California Go on amazon and buy one. One can be had for under 100 bucks.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Drifting

What exactly is it called, brand, model, etc.?
Old 08-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yea another great idea by the state of California Go on amazon and buy one. One can be had for under 100 bucks.
Only so much one man can do in his life. When things slow down with business and the family I'll get back to playing with the car. It's also not the first thing I'd spend $100 on. I really only need it for 10 minutes. That's $600/hour. Not worth it.

Anyone in the bay area want to bring one out to a meet for me to use/document with them in the car?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Drifting

Go on amazon and buy one. One can be had for under 100 bucks.
Please provide a link or info- thanks.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Please provide a link or info- thanks.
Search amazon/ebay for obd2 readers. Look for ones that read live data. They can be found for good prices

Another one to look at is this and what i would (and am getting)
http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Comp...9872539&sr=8-1
Old 08-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Search amazon/ebay for obd2 readers. Look for ones that read live data. They can be found for good prices

Another one to look at is this and what i would (and am getting)
http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Comp...9872539&sr=8-1
Now Kris, this is something I'd buy and it's worth alot more to me. Will it show me if the motor is knocking or if the knock sensors are engauged?

I'd love to get real time MPG and trip MPG
Old 08-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Drifting

I've read some about the ScanGauge 2- but I don't think it tells you if knock is detected, or timing retarded. Does anybody know for sure?
Old 08-28-2008, 06:25 AM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I fill up on Tuesdays. the station knocks off 7 cents per gallon on Premium, but only on Tuesdays. So I pay 13 Cents more for Premium (93 Octane) (13 Cents X 14 Gallons=$1.82 more a week for premium gas) Lets round that off to $2 bucks a week=$104.00 a year to run my car on Premium ALL THE TIME. I'm sure others pay the 30/40 cents more per gallon in other areas. I don't.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Gas has come down a lot and I've been a little bored lately. I'm on my second tank of 91 my findings.

21mpg city and 28mpg highway - 24-25 mixed about a 3mpg drop on freeway
motor is slightly quieter, I wish I had the tool to measure
idle is no smoother
power difference questionable

Next week I'm going to switch back to 87 and see what I get.

My wife asked me to let her get the scan 2 gauge for Christmas, apparently I'm hard to shop for.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

I've read some about the ScanGauge 2- but I don't think it tells you if knock is detected, or timing retarded. Does anybody know for sure?
It shows all sorts of live data, like MPG. As for knock and timing you will need to have a good scanner for that.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Drifting

What constitutes a "good scanner"?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

What constitutes a "good scanner"?
one that has the ability to read, record and pause live data.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Reporting back after going back to 87 gas. My mileage seems to be the same, if not marginally better.

Since installing the K&N air filter my long term results are showing a 1-2mpg drop on freeway miles. I have to be considerably more gentle with the car to see 32+mpg on freeway.

Had the 120K service done, with the replacement of the A/C tensioner and am currently running the 15K Mobil 1 Syn.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:36 PM
hates the winter

Rob, what brand of gas are you using, and do you try to fill up at the same station all the time? I know you like the 87 gas, I just want to make sure you aren't filling up at some cheapo gas place. lol

Glad to see you are still getting the good mileage. I filled up today and with 75% highway driving I recorded 28.2 mpg on my TL-S. I'm not as consistant a driver as you are though. Last week was 30.1 As long as my car gets above 27mpg I'm happy as most cars don't get mileage like that. The TL is a great car.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm using Chevron gas, and the refinery is about 15-20 miles away.

Quick Reply: 33mpg 00 TL (pics)