30K Tuneup survey

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 11:36 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 30K Tuneup survey

do most of you guys take your cars to the dealer to get the 30k service; if so how much do they charge you?

I was looking at the menu, and most of the items, say "inspect" or "check" and they charge around $300.

I was thinking of just getting the oil and filter change, plus a tire rotation. I figure I can check the belts and fluids myself, as well as the air filter.

Am I missing anything? Should I do anything more?

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2003, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I take my car to the dealer to have service done.
I have lower mileage on my 2000TL but have had the car 3years now. I go by the month or year service maint in the owners manual for my car. The 30,000 mile service I got done last July at around 22,500 miles. The 30,000 mile service is considered a major service by the dealer. What you get at this service as I have posted before is $150 of ACURA/HONDA OEM parts from the dealer & $150 Labor.
#1 BRAKE INSPECTION hoses lines+ condition for wear front & rear+ ADJUSTMENT of PARKING BRAKE & CLEANING.
#2 OIL+FILTER CHANGE with BG MOA oil additive/conditioner if your dealer does that.
#3 BG 44K FUEL TREATMENT added to your fuel tank (as above)
#4 TRANNY FLUID CHANGE ATF-Z1 FLUID & (BG ATC+PLUS) TRANS TREATMENT added. HERE ARE THE BG PROUDUCTS added www.bgprod.com/autodrive.html see Part # 310 ATC+ TRANS CONDITONER
www.bgprod.com/oilcond.html see Part #110 MOA OIL TREATMENT
www.bgprod.com/autofuel.html see Part #208A BG44K FUEL TREATMENT
#5 REPLACE AIR FILTER ELEMENT
#6 REPLACE (2) AIR CONDITION CABIN FILTERS.
#7 ROTATE TIRES
#8 DEGREASE ENGINE
#9 This is ALL OTHER CHECKS & INSPECTIONS of all fluid levels fuel lines, coolant hoses for leaks,check tire pressure,wiper blades,lights,drive belts, front lower ball joints for wear + axle cv boots & joints Inspect spark plug wires& distributor cap,check for exhaust sytem for leaks, check battery & cable conditon.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:33 PM
Instructor

I suggest you get the 30K mile service at the dealership. When I had my 2000 Honda Accord 30K mile serviced at the dealership, it ran noticeably smoother and throttle response was quicker.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:58 AM
Banned

Originally posted by FTM-1
Inspect spark plug wires& distributor cap
Please tell me this wasn't listed on your invoice. We have coil-on-plug ignition, which means no plug wires (only coil wires) and no distributer cap. If they're claiming to inspect that, I'd be concerned about what else they're inspecting.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Pro

It seems to be conflicting that Honda don't recommend other additive/fluid other than just Honda ATF while many dealers use aftermarket conditioner for customers' tranny. Whos is the boss here?
Old 01-26-2003, 02:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by pianoman41

Please tell me this wasn't listed on your invoice. We have coil-on-plug ignition, which means no plug wires (only coil wires) and no distributer cap. If they're claiming to inspect that, I'd be concerned about what else they're inspecting.
No pianoman41 it is not listed on the invoice I was going by a dealears recomended service manual. The book is old & has other ACURA models in it like the INTEGRA 2.5 TL ,VIGOR, RL models. It may be some errors in it.
As for the oil additives & conditioners & stuff HONDA could not come out & say what works & does not work. Alot of the machines like trans flush machines the dealers use in the shop are marketed by companies that sell some of the additives & coditioners. Some of the idependent shops that can take engines & other components apart can tell if the stuff works or not.
The DODGE dealership that my sister got her minivan from used some of the same BG products in her van. I use to take her van in for service. The same DODGE delership had a BENZ dealership next door & used the same BG,products. See my other post in the TL-FORUM about the products.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:30 AM
Racer

I do mine myself (dealer wants ~$300). I just do everything according to the owners manual.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:48 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by pianoman41
i've been wondering about this with my 03 Accord. Honda reccomends 5,000 mile oil change intervals, there's no more distributor, there's a single serpentine belt now, and there's a maintenance free timing chain now. you would think overall maint cost / scheduled service prices would drop but the schedule and prices i got from my dealer were no different from the service schedule Honda has pretty much used for years

i'm sticking with the 5k changes. it wil be interesting to see what my dealer says when i go in for it and not the 3,750 mile one i got a courtesy card for. how can they spout "warranty will be voided" if that's what's listed in my owner's manual?
Old 01-28-2003, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by VeeDubDude

i'm sticking with the 5k changes. it wil be interesting to see what my dealer says when i go in for it and not the 3,750 mile one i got a courtesy card for. how can they spout "warranty will be voided" if that's what's listed in my owner's manual?
You'd be amazed at what some dealers try to claim isn't covered under warranty. It's sickening to see the extent they will lie to make a buck.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

I doubt the 5,000 mile oil change would void any warranty.
I myself would not go this far without an oil change on a regular basis. It also depends on how you drive your car. If you put around 1,500 miles on your car every 3 months then the 5,000 oil service would be okay. When the dealer says every 3,750 or 3months or as Jiffy Lube use to say 3months 3,000 miles. They do more than just change your oil they check other fluid levels also.
Remember you guys are not the average everyday owners of cars. The average owner does not do anything to a car but put gas in it & drive. The 3 month or 3,750 seems like a good service interval for the average person that only puts gas in the car & drives it.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:19 AM
Banned

Originally posted by VeeDubDude

You shouldn't have a problem at all. I do my own service and have been doing my oil changes at 4K for the easy-to-remember reason as well. I've done that for years on all my vehicles. And I've never had a warranty claim denied. I've also never had an oil or oil-related part failure either. Remember, if you don't drive the "severe" schedule of driving, Acura says you don't need to change the oil until every 7,500 miles. They have no way of knowing which schedule you drive unless you tell them. As long as you keep receipts of getting the work done, you should never have a problem.