2nd intake resonator removal!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by slikz
Well just last night I removed the resonator that was behind the bumper. It was kind of hard cause I didn`t have the right tools, especially for the second bolt, it was a bietch taking it out. But I managed and I got it out I just came back from a drive right now, and wow, the TL sounds like a beast beneath all those resonators. I love the sound!
yup we wouldnt lie to you!
Old 02-13-2005, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have tried the duct tape method (2 layers) with the hum present at idle. The duct tape was still intact when I removed it - no sign of it wearing out.

I've been reading the replys and would like to give my $0.02.

I believe that the hum is related to the length and diameter of the tube between the throttle body and air intake. The after market CAI's eliminate the hum by optimizing the tube diameter and length.

Some hair-brain ideas I have would be to retrofit some kind of plunger, which operates on engine vacuum, that would seal off the small resonater at higher rpm's and open up at lower rpm's. Think of this as a very thin hockey puck connected to a vacuum operated plunger that operated vertically directly above the small resonater. This would allow the small resonater to eliminate the hum at lower rpm's and seal off the resonater at higher rpm's.

Another hair-brain idea would be to fabricate the plastic tube between the throttle body and air intake with a 3" or 4" diameter PVC pipe with rubber adapters (secured by band clamps) to connect to the air intake and throttle body and with the required tubes to connect the vacuum lines. The slight bend required could be done with a heat gun or with a longer rubber adapter. This method would be copying the after market CAI tubes with a PVC version.

Comments?
Old 02-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
hmmm.. the first idea seems to make sense about the small resonator. and the second idea is pretty crazy since it seems like youre suggesting us to replicate an aftermarket air intake system.. which doesnt seem too bad since we're not gonna be spending over 200 dollars for the real thing. BUT sounds like a time-consuming crazy task! i guess it wont hurt to try.. but how the hell do i make the distance long enough when the airbox cant really be moved up forward or around?
Old 02-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronnn
hmmm.. the first idea seems to make sense about the small resonator. and the second idea is pretty crazy since it seems like youre suggesting us to replicate an aftermarket air intake system.. which doesnt seem too bad since we're not gonna be spending over 200 dollars for the real thing. BUT sounds like a time-consuming crazy task! i guess it wont hurt to try.. but how the hell do i make the distance long enough when the airbox cant really be moved up forward or around?
I was thinking of replicating a short RAM setup. I believe that several people have already spent considerable time trying to eliminate the hum - my ideas did not take into account the amount of time spent experimenting they were meant more for brain storming solutions.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:43 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
hmm.. i see. sounds like a good solution. i have an off day tommarow, i'll take a look and see if it can be done. thanks for the input! hopefully i can think of something to put together.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:05 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
For starters, remove the plastic engine cover (4 10 mm bolts), then remove the air box cover and hose that goes into the intake.you will see the small piece of plastic hanging from the bottom that is what you will be removing (it doesnt look like much but it makes a HUGE sound difference)
Kris, when you say airbox cover do you mean the cover that goes over where the filter goes in? And the hose that goes into the intake. I see several hoses that go into the intake. Which one do you remove to get to the other side of the intake tube?

The second red circle here?

Or the red circle here which is connected to the other side?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
The cover to the air filter. Remove that. then remove the clamp on the TB. Then the rubber tube can come out/off which will gain you access to the small resonator and its clamp you have circled. (the one that goes from TB to air filter) remove any thing thats attached to it to get it out.
Dont be afraid to take things off the car. you can always put them back on

The large resonator is behind the bumper. You either take the bumper off to do that, or get it from underneath. With the TL-P its easier to remove the bumper.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
how badly i want to show acura this thread... and scream at them for misdiagnosing my stalling problem by blaming on the resonator being removed......... nice cheap mod maybe if it wasnt 30 degrees here in jersey id attempt it haha... good job!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 03bl AC k CL
how badly i want to show acura this thread... and scream at them for misdiagnosing my stalling problem by blaming on the resonator being removed......... nice cheap mod maybe if it wasnt 30 degrees here in jersey id attempt it haha... good job!
Spend 2 min out side bring the piece in the house, swap it out, spend another 2 min outside and your done. The large one is a little longer.
AND 30deg???? thats warm out. Put on a sweatshirt, lay on a blanket and go to town.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:54 PM
No He Can't

Wow, I must be an idiot. I can't seem to even get off the stock intake tube for the life of me. Is it really necessary to remove the air filter cover? I guess last time I changed the air filter, I tightened the screws too tight and can't seem to get one of the screws off because it is starting to strip. How do I go about removing the screw that is stripped? Take a Dremel to the head of it or I remember seeing a bit head that can get out stripped screws?

I loosened the screw in picture one, got the clamp off on picture one, but on the other side of the intake tube, there are more hoses and clamps. I got one off, but there is another one that I can't seem to get off. Is taking the air filter cover off going to make it easier to get to the intake and get off the metal spring type clamp that holds on the intake tube (right under the orange clip in picture one).

Any help would be appreciated, but if I can't get it, I'm just going to leave it the way it is.

BTW, what is the "TB"?
Old 01-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
Wow, I must be an idiot. I can't seem to even get off the stock intake tube for the life of me. Is it really necessary to remove the air filter cover? I guess last time I changed the air filter, I tightened the screws too tight and can't seem to get one of the screws off because it is starting to strip. How do I go about removing the screw that is stripped? Take a Dremel to the head of it or I remember seeing a bit head that can get out stripped screws?

I loosened the screw in picture one, got the clamp off on picture one, but on the other side of the intake tube, there are more hoses and clamps. I got one off, but there is another one that I can't seem to get off. Is taking the air filter cover off going to make it easier to get to the intake and get off the metal spring type clamp that holds on the intake tube (right under the orange clip in picture one).

Any help would be appreciated, but if I can't get it, I'm just going to leave it the way it is.

BTW, what is the "TB"?
TB = Throttle Body
Old 01-24-2007, 07:21 PM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Just found this thread today, but it looks to date back way before 2005 - did any of you guys ever find a solution? Did you go back "stock?" Still pimpin the hum?

I'd like to try this, but that damn HUM is annoying - and I've never even heard it!!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 11:59 PM
The wood god

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did the mod and it didn't hum at first startup then I took it for a spin and when I put it in park I could hear the hum in full force.

I also had a nice smell coming from the engine.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Again,The hum is the intake itself. thats one of the reasons the small resonator was put on. Its there with a short ram intake too(just not as noticeable)
The smell wasnt cause you removed the resonator.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:54 PM
The wood god

^ I know, just saying my expeirence. Thanks again for the info.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Intermediate

I just read all 6 pages of this thread hoping a solution was found for the hum. I was ready to do this tomorrow, but I guess I won't now. I just put in a K&N drop in today. I may just remove the lower resonator behind the bumper and leave it at that. Is there any hum noise after removing that one? I don't want anything much louder unless I step on the gas for VTECH.

I will admit I am not a huge mod guy, but reading this site is starting to brainwash me to do some.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by topper1296
I just read all 6 pages of this thread hoping a solution was found for the hum. I was ready to do this tomorrow, but I guess I won't now. I just put in a K&N drop in today. I may just remove the lower resonator behind the bumper and leave it at that. Is there any hum noise after removing that one? I don't want anything much louder unless I step on the gas for VTECH.

I will admit I am not a huge mod guy, but reading this site is starting to brainwash me to do some.
HAHA - No sh*t TROOP! I just read all six too, figuring that there was going to be a happy ending that would result in my heading off to Home Depot to pick up a couple parts to do it right... How sad..... I wanted to skip to the end the whole time, but felt like I had to read it ALL!!! Oh well, seems like the larger of the two resonators will be the one to take off, but heck - it only takes 10 minutes to make the little change, maybe the hum isn't that bad. I think I'll try it out sometime here and make my own mind up.

Thanks for the entertainment guys!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:59 AM
Instructor

why the F did i call him TROOP ----

Official Appologie to TOPPER1296

My baD...
Old 07-11-2007, 05:02 AM
Intermediate

yeah thank god i went to the end to find out what the solution was and if ya'll figure something out then let me know
Old 08-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Nissan Titan in

hmm well i just read the entire thread and was wondering what if you got this piece for the TLS since it doesnt have the resonator hanging from it and put it on a TLP would it fit?
Old 08-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator

No. they have a larger dia throttle body and VSA
Old 01-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Registered Pimp

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
so you figure out how to remove the hum yet? or is the hum even that big of a deal. Im going out in a few mins to remove the lower intake resonator and im wondering if i should do the other too. Like will people think my car is a POS because they hear a hum at idle?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by burnerjunky
so you figure out how to remove the hum yet? or is the hum even that big of a deal. Im going out in a few mins to remove the lower intake resonator and im wondering if i should do the other too. Like will people think my car is a POS because they hear a hum at idle?
Remove the intake resonators like in the diys here and see for yourself. Only you can decide that. I never minded the hum.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Registered Pimp

well i removed the lower one and my tl sounds like a beast. I almost nutted myself when i first fired up the car and pulled on the throttle cable
Old 01-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Registered Pimp

heres what i think is making the hum after the bottom part is plugged. There is still a little pocket where air can move around with the plug in.

Im going to experiment by plugging the hole with the pvc cap, but filling the inside of the cap with like hot glue or something that wont deteriorate and get sucked into the engine. Maybe also sanding down the cap to fit the exact contour of the inside of the intake
Old 01-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
I have a noob question....modding the upper intake sounds louder?...or removing the bottom intake resonator will make it sound louder?
Old 01-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Registered Pimp

both will. remove both of them to make your car eat little children
Old 01-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
Haha so you guys modded one and removed one correct?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:12 PM
No He Can't

You remove both.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Registered Pimp

Originally Posted by n1njai
Haha so you guys modded one and removed one correct?
but im going to try to mod the other intake to eliminate a humming noise that, i believe, is caused by a slight pocket where air moves around differently and makes vibration
Old 01-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
i think the hum is being caused by the removal of the resonator. because thats what the purpose of the resonator is, to reduce noise.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Registered Pimp

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
i think the hum is being caused by the removal of the resonator. because thats what the purpose of the resonator is, to reduce noise.
I don't think so. Why would Honda put a huge ass resonator or it just to reduce hum, rather than just redesigning the intake so it doesn't hum. I think it was just meant to reduce engine noise in general.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Registered Pimp

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
they wouldn't put a huge ass resonator on the intake just to reduce the hum of the intake, they would have just redesigned the intake so it doesn't hum. I think it was just to eliminate engine noise in general.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator

heres what i think is making the hum after the bottom part is plugged. There is still a little pocket where air can move around with the plug in.

Im going to experiment by plugging the hole with the pvc cap, but filling the inside of the cap with like hot glue or something that wont deteriorate and get sucked into the engine. Maybe also sanding down the cap to fit the exact contour of the inside of the intake
That is not the cause. That small one was designed to help eliminate the hum. It has something to do with the im itself. Even with CAIs (without that) the hum is somewhat apparent.

I don't think so. Why would Honda put a huge ass resonator or it just to reduce hum, rather than just redesigning the intake so it doesn't hum. I think it was just meant to reduce engine noise in general.
The "huge ass" resonator is to keep noise levels of the motor with in normal limits. Its far easier to make a resonator to muffle noise than to redesign the intake manifold. It has something to do with the resonance frequency that the IM makes
Old 01-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Registered Pimp

o well. Im getting the pvc cap tomorrow and putting it in, so i will see if i even need to fix it or if the hum isnt even that bad.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:11 AM
B A N N E D

has anyone tried using the pvc piping without cutting it? A longer pipe could possibly work as a resonator but more free flowing
Old 01-08-2008, 01:17 AM
Registered Pimp

good call i shall try that.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kushsmoker
has anyone tried using the pvc piping without cutting it? A longer pipe could possibly work as a resonator but more free flowing
Might as well leave the stock small resonator in it. thats what that one is for
Old 01-08-2008, 10:23 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Might as well leave the stock small resonator in it. thats what that one is for
true that.. but the two chambers and curves into the piping have got more resistance than just a straight tube
Old 01-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Registered Pimp

kush, how much is an oz. where you live

Quick Reply: 2nd intake resonator removal!!!