2003 TLS WDP Production

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002 | 02:47 PM
Advanced

2003 TLS WDP Production

The first dealer I went to get my 2003 TLS said that the White Diamond Pearl was in limited production and that he could not give me a price break on it, but he could drop the price on the Black one. I ended up going to another dealer and got the price down $720 from MSRP. The original dealer that I went to matched the price and was closer to home so I bought it from them. Since then I have seen 6 White TLSs and no other color. Limited production...my _ss.

Anyone hear about this limited production thingon the WDP?

Old 04-30-2002 | 03:10 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

WDP is limited alright.... if you look at all the colors... WDP and NG seems to be two rare colors.... WDP/Ebony is rare, IMO......WDP/Parch is more common....

Andy Kuo
Old 04-30-2002 | 03:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

They gave me a similar story when I was buying my 2000 WDP TL. They were very rare at the time, but now I see 5 of them for every Taffeta White one I see.

I've only seen one WDP/Ebony TL-S and it was owned by a salesman at my dealer.
Old 04-30-2002 | 04:19 PM
Banned

I have an '01 WDP and got the same story from one dealer. He told me, "I can't move as much on the WDP, but I could give you a better deal if you were interested in the Firepepper Pearl". I walked out and immediately found out that at the time, out of all the dealers in the Chicago area, there were only three WDP w/Nav. I went to one of the other dealers and received a better deal.

With all of that said, I do see more WDP than I see Taffeta white, but I do like the WDP better.
Old 04-30-2002 | 05:06 PM
Pro

Re: 2003 TLS WDP Production

Originally posted by jofunk
The first dealer I went to get my 2003 TLS said that the White Diamond Pearl was in limited production and that he could not give me a price break on it, but he could drop the price on the Black one. I ended up going to another dealer and got the price down $720 from MSRP. The original dealer that I went to matched the price and was closer to home so I bought it from them.
I wouldn't buy from a dealer that fed me a line of B.S. about my choice being rare and wouldn't move from MSRP when another dealer gave you a better deal right away. Proximity doesn't matter once you buy the car - you can get warranty work and service from any Acura dealer.
Old 04-30-2002 | 05:23 PM
Pro

Old 04-30-2002 | 06:14 PM
Instructor

Lightbulb To solve the problem - Use another Dealer

Yes it is true,,,Acura will produce some colors "more" then others,,,,but that does not affect the price! All the dealers here will make the same price, regardless of the color. I saw three of them at the dealer when I picked mine up just over a month ago - 2003 models. Two of the WDP had parchment, and the other black chairs.

Besides the dealer, can get it allocated to him immediately, and he would have it from the factory within 2 to 4 weeks max - any location in the 48 states.

Good Luck
Old 04-30-2002 | 06:58 PM
Pro

Every time I've been to a dealer no matter what I'm interested in they make it sound like it's a hot item and they'll have to work hard to get it for me. B.S.! They do not work hard when they simply put an order through if one's not in stock. It's a classic sales tactic used to make you think the salesman can't move from the price due to scarcity and that's he's your friend because he'll try to get you a better deal on another color/model/whatever.

Dealers are not your friends and you don't need to treat them like they are. My wife won't even go to a dealer with me anymore because of the way I act but you know what?... I've gotten what I wanted everytime and have never spent more than an hour in one.

I'm ready to purchase in 7 mos. and I've already got my shovel ready.
Old 04-30-2002 | 07:22 PM
Dr. TLS

It seems that every time I (or my dad) go to buy a car, the color we want most is the rare, hard-to-get, and low production color. I have learned that the best way to negotiate is to leave the color for last, or picking a color other than the one you want and changing it at the last second. It has worked the last 3 out of 3 times for me. You shouldn't have to pay more just because you want a certain color.
Old 04-30-2002 | 07:37 PM
No, you are a dork.

Its called supply and demand......very simple.
Old 04-30-2002 | 07:52 PM
Instructor

I like crmsnidol's statement- All dealers are brutal- I bought mine over the phone and once we finally got the price where it needed to be I went down to the dealer to get it in writing-

I get there and "All of a sudden it is sold" Sorry sir we are going to half to dealer trade for your car out of state-

You see sir, silver is hard to come by, so I will half to send a porter to get it , who in return will put the hardest mileage your car will ever see, so basically he will wallop on the SS and work the piss out of the brakes, you know beat the crap out of it- But we can have it in three days.

They are the enemy- It would be nice someday to see car companies offer direct. You go to the plant and pick it up.
Old 04-30-2002 | 07:54 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: 2003 TLS WDP Production

Originally posted by crmsnidol

I wouldn't buy from a dealer that fed me a line of B.S. about my choice being rare and wouldn't move from MSRP when another dealer gave you a better deal right away. Proximity doesn't matter once you buy the car - you can get warranty work and service from any Acura dealer.

Well it turns out I didn't have much of a choice. I was playing Dealer price wars, and the last time I called the other dealership back, they hung up on me. :P They apparently didn't like that I was calling the other dealership back after they made me a better offer. Despite the BS, I still liked the dealership that I finally purchased my TL from. I am trying to get them to give me a good deal on my body kit and spoiler. I helped them sell my trade-in.

I traded in a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited. UGH. I went from a 2.2CL to a 3.0CL, to a Jeep (what a mistake) back to an Acura
Old 04-30-2002 | 08:28 PM
Dr. TLS

I put my demands in writing at first: certain accessories, price, and the odometer reading less than 7 miles. When he agreed and faxed me back, I picked my color. All this was done over the phone in 30 mins. The car arrived from the factory in 6 days. I drove 1.5 hours to pick it up and the paperwork took 30 mins. It's always best if you take your time and show the dealer you are not in a hurry.
Old 05-01-2002 | 08:41 AM
Pro

WDP production is limited to some extent. Dealers are limited to 15% WDP cars vs. their other TL stock from the factory. However, it does not mean that they are difficult to get a hold of.

As far as WDP with parchmant or ebony, the reason ebony is more rare is that it is only available in the "S" model. The parchment is available in both models.
Old 05-02-2002 | 12:12 AM
Burning Brakes

i just ordered a 03 san marino red cl type s with navi, my dealer told me it will take about 6 weeks. What do you guys think?
Old 05-02-2002 | 12:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Nighthawk Black is very limited too...:p
Old 05-02-2002 | 12:52 AM
Advanced

I HAVE WDP w/EBONY

It wasn't too tough for me to find. I have the 2002 WDP w/Ebony interior. I bought mine from Keyes Acura in Van Nuys. Got the car with no nav 32K out the door.
Old 05-02-2002 | 02:54 AM
Racer

I have a 2002 WDP/ebony, and I agree it is very rare to see one on the road, but Palm Beach Acura had absolutely no trouble finding one for me. I have only seen 1 other WDP/ebony on the road since getting mine. Anytime I see another WDP it always has parchment.
Old 05-02-2002 | 09:02 AM
Instructor

Anyone who is in car sales is NOT the best or the brightest. That is why most of the DUMB ASS salesman cannot even work simple numbers and have to get their Sales Manager to do it for them. The car industry is full is high school drop outs and bottom of the barrel people intelligence-wise. Most car dealers use sleazy tactics and BS. They gang up on you with the Sales Manager and other salesman and try to wear you down. Needless to say I HATE auto dealers. Most of these guys couldn't pass High School Calculus or Physics...
Old 05-02-2002 | 10:48 AM
Banned

I've always wondered how I would do as a car salesman since I'm always recognized at work for the ability to develop customer relationships. As a result, I'm always given the difficult clients to "turn around". That and the fact that I'm a car nut and everytime I've purchased a car or gone with a relative or friend, I know vastly more about the car than the salesman.

Well I was discussing this with a salesman when we were buying a Pathfinder a few years ago. I was asking him what the earning potential was. He looked at my loan app and said: "Huh, I'd stay right where you are".

'Nuff said.