2003 TL-s Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 05:31 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2003 TL-s Transmission Failure

Hey everyone!
I know that there are tons of post about transmission problems but I thought I'd put in my two cents anyway.

I have an 03 TLS with 23500 miles on it and the transmission failed last week. It was not a progressive problem, the tranny began slipping and by the end of the day it was locked into 3rd gear. (this was last week) My dealer has been very cooperative with the situiation, arranging a rental car for the duration of the replacement. (they gave me a Toyota Corolla, not comperable but I know I'll appreciate my TL when i get it back) So anyway, I now have been bitten by the tranny bug; lets hope that the replacement tranny has not been bitten already.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:56 PM
Racer

when was ur car made and when did u buy it?
Old 10-25-2003, 06:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats not good for me and other 2k3 TL-S ownerd
Old 10-25-2003, 07:38 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another one bites the dust... That's what makes me somewhat uneasy about buying 04TL. I saw it a week ago when I had my car serviced. Some people say it’s ugly, and this and that... Frankly, I loved it! But Acura never came clean regarding transmission problem. It claimed several times that the problem is solved, but every time there are people who still have bad transmissions built after it was "fixed" (went through two replacements myself).
In my mind Acura should've done something like the following: a letter to all current Acura 1999-2003 owners describing:
1. what they determined to be an issue - " we took apart 2,000 transmissions and every one of them had part X worn beyond our specs."
2. what they have done about it - "we upgraded steel it's made from and redesigned some critical elements".
3. how do they know it will work - " we've tested 100 transmission in the test that simulates worst possible driving conditions/habits and after 200,000 miles none of them failed".
4. what’s done to prevent similar screw ups from happening – " Principal Engineer from Transmission Department had transmission’s driving shaft up his a$$ for a week” (well, not really necessary…)
And I am not asking too much. As a matter of fact, that’s a normal response of any reputable company who shipped defective product to the customer, but wants to keep that customer in the future. Had Acura done something like that - I would've felt much more confident in their next product. But as for now - I am going to wait a year or so and see if anybody complains about transmission or anything else. And if anybody does...
Old 10-25-2003, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

DMDsTL-s , Can you post your manufacture date? This could help those with 03s that could be within the scope of the extended warranty.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:03 AM
8th Gear

Hey Guys-
I'll post the exact manuf. date when I get the car back but I can tell yall that it was bulit sometime in late 2003. I took delivery in Dec of 02 after ordering the car in Sept.- the long delay was due to the port shut down on the west coast and my car sat on the assembly line in OH while they waited on the 5% of parts that come from Japan.

Also, my car was not included in the extended warranty.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:24 AM
Instructor

mine start slipping alot too.... ****..... i smell a dead tranny.....
Old 10-26-2003, 08:23 AM
Cruisin'

Our '02 TL / S is on its fourth tranny. This entire situation is very frustrating.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:59 AM
Racer

Question for anyone in the KNOW here....

Since the 2004 tl is a whole new car ,does it have a whole new tranny .... I mean DIFFERENT then the 2003 tl ?

Also has anyone EVER heard of tranny failure happening to ANY of the 3.5 RL ????

I have heard that the NEW 2004 tl has the NSX tranny? But that person was NOT sure ... So if anyone knows please post.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The transmission is new. It is not the same as the NSX transmission. Features directly from Honda are HERE (click)....scroll down until you see the tranny info.

The Japanese transmission contractor was reportedly fired, and a new one obtained, according to rumors. Being a 2004 "beta-tester", I'll be SURE to let people know if my tranny goes. I'm pretty confident that the problem is fixed, though.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:02 AM
Racer

Hmmmm is this ::::

The cylinder head-mounted close-coupled catalysts ensure very quick light off after engine start up, and a new 32-bit RISC microprocessor in the powertrain control module (PCM) boosts computing power. High efficiency multi-hole fuel injectors deliver fuel to each cylinder and direct fuel around the intake valve stem for improved atomization, which helps to further reduce emissions, particularly after starting.

The same PCM that they are adding to the current trannys' that are still failing? |

wasn't there also something new' like the FPR ,that they are now adding as well on the trannys' that are still failing ..

Am I reading more into this because of paranoia due to tranny locking up and causing accident? I did have some horrific expieriences with the tranny and yes I am SOOOO scared. I just NEVER want to have my tranny lock up again .. EVER.... You may say what are the ODDS of it happening a third time?

Like someone else here said maybe I should buy a lotto ticket! I Have to be very careful I am not a cat I don't have nine lives... I think people get three chances ... twice my car almost killed me .. yes I am EXTREMELY cautious.

Thankyou for that link .. All don't understand any tech jargon on Auto's so if someone can sift through it that's great.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:10 AM
2002 TL Type S

My TL-S tranny is slipping, at least I made it to 40K miles. My car's going to the dealer on Wednesday - R.I.P. I can't let my wife drive this thing around and worry that she gets stranded with the kids in a bad section of town. My TL-S is getting sold within the next 6-12 months - Honda screwed up by not fixing the problem. People on 3-4 trannies is ridiculous!!

I've got a 1993 Ford Mustang 5.0 (yes, a Ford!!!) and have had absolutely no problems with the automatic tranny. I dog the hell outta my modded Stang and it still shifts perfectly at 120K miles. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the motor drops out in the highway before the tranny goes.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally posted by gregtomash
Another one bites the dust... That's what makes me somewhat uneasy about buying 04TL. I saw it a week ago when I had my car serviced. Some people say it’s ugly, and this and that... Frankly, I loved it! But Acura never came clean regarding transmission problem. It claimed several times that the problem is solved, but every time there are people who still have bad transmissions built after it was "fixed" (went through two replacements myself).
In my mind Acura should've done something like the following: a letter to all current Acura 1999-2003 owners describing:
1. what they determined to be an issue - " we took apart 2,000 transmissions and every one of them had part X worn beyond our specs."
2. what they have done about it - "we upgraded steel it's made from and redesigned some critical elements".
3. how do they know it will work - " we've tested 100 transmission in the test that simulates worst possible driving conditions/habits and after 200,000 miles none of them failed".
4. what’s done to prevent similar screw ups from happening – " Principal Engineer from Transmission Department had transmission’s driving shaft up his a$$ for a week” (well, not really necessary…)
And I am not asking too much. As a matter of fact, that’s a normal response of any reputable company who shipped defective product to the customer, but wants to keep that customer in the future. Had Acura done something like that - I would've felt much more confident in their next product. But as for now - I am going to wait a year or so and see if anybody complains about transmission or anything else. And if anybody does...
there was a write up of the problem a while back on what was wrong with the tranny and it led to a bearing that had inadiquit cooling which leads to failure,
and the 04 tranny is a completely redesigned unit.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:50 AM
2002 TL Type S

Originally posted by fsttyms1
what was wrong with the tranny and it led to a bearing that had inadiquit cooling which leads to failure
Inadequate cooling? Does the TL-S have a tranny cooler? Adding an external tranny cooler might be a quick fix for Acura since it's obvious they aren't planning to beef up the 2nd gen TL trannies. Regardless, as soon as this car comes back from the dealership, it's history. Gotta start looking for a reliable replacement now.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:01 PM
Racer

there was a write up of the problem a while back on what was wrong with the tranny and it led to a bearing that had inadiquit cooling which leads to failure,
and the 04 tranny is a completely redesigned unit

If the problem has been determined............. then there shouldn't be any RECURRING problems' in NEWLY replaced trannys' .

There are RECURRING problems' in newly replaced trannys' ......So the problem has NOT BEEN DETERMINED .

Make sense?
Old 10-26-2003, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

the bearing wasnt designed good enough and it had problems getting enough fluid to cool it. somewhere there is a BIG write up on what they found to be the problem, yes it was determined but there seems to be a problem getting it fixed
Old 10-26-2003, 12:24 PM
2002 TL Type S

If I'm not mistaken, it sounds like a design problem. Obviously the replacement trannies are not redesigned or people would not be having multiple trannies replaced.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:28 PM
Racer

Yes I agree that was more then likely ONE of tranny problems' .

The symptoms' are like the flu for some ...some get this happening others that ..it's like it's part of a virus .

There are different types' of failures occuring ,with different symptoms ect as we can see from the post's here.

There are many modalitie's involved in the tranny issue ,not just one as we have seen from the newer replacement's ,they are adding things' like PCM/FPR .... And STILL having failure's.

Hey you don't think that a different tranny MODEL -Alltogether would be the answer do you?

I know it would cost alot ..... though ..... far more expensive then say ..... finding a part that is bad ,that occured from another part that went bad ...see the point.

If you aren't scared of having it lock up on the highway and if your luck is real good lately ...noone will be behind you well then

...wait it out ...... play the odd's ... see what happens' .

I'll tell you thers nothing like driving 65+ land locking up on the highway ..when you least expect it The g-force it puts on your neck and back are astounding .... worse then any rollercoaster ride you'll ever expierience .

I said there was nothing like THAT above ... Except this ..

Driving along through lunch hour traffic and having your car lock up and someone slamming you from behind going 55 atleast ...now the G-force of that is off the scale ... Your bones can only withstand so much .... I " DO "know .............
Old 10-26-2003, 12:35 PM
2002 TL Type S

After reading the petition, I'm not taking chances with my family. This car was for my wife and kids....time for a more reliable (and safer) car. This TL-S was first Honda product and probably my last.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:48 PM
Cruisin'

Its sad but there isn't a reliable way to determine if the trannies are fixed until they fail.

We've only had ours two months (Certified Preowned) and it had to have the tranny changed making this the fourth total.

I didn't think you could certify a vehicle if it has had major mechanical work!

Anyway, the only way we're going to be able to save face is have the dealer rewind our deal. Acura wont get involved except for the warranty but what good is a warranty @ 70mph and the tranny locks?

If the dealer chooses not to rewind the deal, well looks like the legal department is going to get a call.

They did not discloise the prior history until after we had bought the car. Dishonest dealers will only cause Acura more problems.

Please continue to discuss this topic and keep everyone posted so information isn't buried and everyone has an opportunity to handle their vehicle as needed.

Dano
Old 10-26-2003, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

this topic has been discussed so many times every one is blue in the face talking about it. do search on it and you will see. i have 125,000 miles on mine and other than 2 trannies that i was able to read the warning signs (small but there) before it went, i wouldnt trade it for any thing. it has been the most trouble free car i have ever owned(and there is a big list of cars) im looking forward to when i get to buy the 04
Old 10-26-2003, 01:22 PM
Racer

blue in the face ?

Thats what you get when your dead. Some people who have almost been killed can relate to this more so then someone who has ONLY had two transmsissions' replaced and had WARNING signs beforehand.

You are LUCKY ... you should be playing the lotto as well .

I hope your tranny never locks up while your on the highway going very fast with no warning at all. IF you ever expierience that ..then you decide WHO is being irrational when talking about the tranny issues.

This man has family ,he cares about ,he has a right to be concerned for their well being . Please don't belittle this tranny issue that has OBVIOUS health risks to many.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:33 PM
2002 TL Type S

i have 125,000 miles on mine and other than 2 trannies ... it has been the most trouble free car i have ever owned(and there is a big list of cars)
:wow: Two trannies is the most trouble free car you've ever owned? What did you own before?

I paid $32K for my TL-S and $12K for my 1993 Stang. The problem I have is this: how does a Ford daily beater with 300+ lbs/TQ and half the price of a TL-S still have a strong tranny after 11 years of abuse? Wouldn't you expect an Acura tranny on a car my wife drives to last longer than 2-3 years?
Old 10-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by That Girl
Thats what you get when your dead. Some people who have almost been killed can relate to this more so then someone who has ONLY had two transmsissions' replaced and had WARNING signs beforehand.

You are LUCKY ... you should be playing the lotto as well .

I hope your tranny never locks up while your on the highway going very fast with no warning at all. IF you ever expierience that ..then you decide WHO is being irrational when talking about the tranny issues.

This man has family ,he cares about ,he has a right to be concerned for their well being . Please don't belittle this tranny issue that has OBVIOUS health risks to many.
i never said it wasnt a problem and im not going to play the lottery either. am i lucky cause i i WAS able to notice something wrong with it so it never got a chance to drop on me? there were slight signs on both about a week before and right before it went! and every car i have owned accept my 2 other hondas have had blown engines blown trannies (1 car had 3 of which i had to pay for my self) and the TL's were covered 1 even at 115k. this car hasnt cost me a thing now in 125k other than gas, oil and brakes! and i race it (not 1/4 mile) and autocross it so its driven REAL HARD!
Old 10-26-2003, 05:05 PM
2002 TL Type S

autocross it so its driven REAL HARD!
You autocross a TL? Yeah, I guess you should expect two blown trannies in 125K miles. Sheez. How does it do autocrossing? I never knew the TL-S had autocrossing potential. What other cars did you subject to racing torture?
Old 10-26-2003, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator

i have a tl-p but it does really well. the car can handle extremley good. as far as what other cars, 89 turbo grand prix, 88 honda prelude (all time favorite, i could beat zo6's around road america with it) 99 civic si, those are just the ones i race/d the civic i ran up 90k in 15 months, the prelude had 190k on it before it met a wall at 95mph oops! the gp i sold to a friend who wanted it 2 engines and 3 trannys later
Old 10-26-2003, 10:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by neuronbob
The transmission is new. It is not the same as the NSX transmission. Features directly from Honda are HERE (click)....scroll down until you see the tranny info.

The Japanese transmission contractor was reportedly fired, and a new one obtained, according to rumors. Being a 2004 "beta-tester", I'll be SURE to let people know if my tranny goes. I'm pretty confident that the problem is fixed, though.

what if that Japanese transmission contractor was just a scapegoat?
Old 10-26-2003, 10:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

and the 04 tranny is a completely redesigned unit.

completely? not even based on the old one?

do car manufacturers always completely redesign a tranny when they release a new version of a car?
Old 10-26-2003, 11:16 PM
Advanced

Due to the ammount of problems with our transmissions... I am taking EVERY precaution to maintain it properly. I am getting a CT Tranny Cooler, changing Tranny fluid every 7k and breaking in the car properly...

Hopefully she will hold up.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:57 AM
Racer

I dont think that will matter if a tranny fails no mattter how much u take care of it its going to fail
Old 10-27-2003, 02:36 AM
Racer

All these problems worries me, are there actually and ways to prevent a transmission failures? I have to be stuck with a corolla for like 2 weeks.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:15 AM
Pro

I understand the lemon law, I know it does very in most states. If you have a reacuring problem over a period of a year(Three times the same problem) you can file under most states. But if the problem over a period of two to three years, ie: replacment of several Transmission. There is a gray area. There seems that you sould have grounds for compusation of some type. I would think that it be time to talk to your Att.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:44 AM
Cruisin'

There is a lot of grey area in the lemon law. For instance, does the time period begin with the original purchase date or when the second owner purchases the car?

I'm working one last attempt with the dealer's GM on a resolution, then I will have no choice but to get the Att involved.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by bennyvito
Due to the ammount of problems with our transmissions... I am taking EVERY precaution to maintain it properly. I am getting a CT Tranny Cooler, changing Tranny fluid every 7k and breaking in the car properly...

Hopefully she will hold up.
every 7k? thats going to be blowing money out the window. the fluid isnt the problem if the part is bad ITS bad and going to go no matter if ou change your fluid daily or yearly. just follow the maintenance in the manual.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:06 AM
Pro

If it would make a differance I would do the same thing, But it won`t. The Acura tech. that was on the forum about two weeks ago, suggested to change the A/T fluid every 15,000. instead of a Transmission cooler. When I get to 15,000, I`ll have that done. I hate talking to the service manager about the transmission ploblem, He just shrugs and says what problem!
Old 10-27-2003, 11:20 AM
Racer

Check out OFF TOPIC "Ask an Acura Tech Anything". The guy says that from experience, almost all TL's built in '03 (not built for '03 - i.e. a 2003 built in October 2002) seem to be fine on the trannies. Mine was built 2/03, no problems.....yet.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:59 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old transmission design, new transmission design... Until Acura engineers figure out what exactly went wrong, they can make the same mistake again (Murphy's law). You can't fix you don't know what... And I can't believe that it's too difficult for Honda, with all the money they have, to pinpoint the problem(s). After all, they have THOUSANDS of failed transmissions to work with. To me it sounds like they don't realy care...
Old 10-27-2003, 03:03 PM
2002 TL Type S

I see a Lexus, Volvo, or Infiniti in my future.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:28 PM
Racer

I know ..they just don't care.... My accident due to tranny locking has caused a reversal of the cevical spine that in turn has caused bulging in every disc all 7 ,there are ONLY seven in the cervical spine this has in turn caused impingement of the spinal nerves giving me signifigant pain radiating to my left arm ! The ARM I scan with !

I am getting frustrated with the pain and ACURAS' negligent ..neglect of this matter!

There is no excuse ... NONE ..not money ,nothing !
Old 10-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Racer

Well This is a forum where one can find every detail they are searching for when newly joining ..

I am CERTAIN that there are going to be many new-comers as well as older member's whom these tranny post's are NOW and in the future ;be relevant to ..

Yes ,there will be a continuation of these tranny problems and while I agree there are many FINE points to the acura ,which is why I made a purchase ,there is a very detremental problem with the transmission that is in FACT a SERIOUS risk to the health and possibly the lives of someones loved one.

NO ,it won't be forgotten ,even if there aren't topics on the first page you look at in this forum ,but I'd like to keep threads such as this on the page so that it is easier for those who have a problem to see just WHAT CAN HAPPEN ......

UNTIL you have lived this ... and I don't mean replacements, or multiple replacements'...... I mean serious accidents that can occur from a car locking up on a highway... I can't keep silent .

I only know of two accidents that have occured from the locking up,mine and another ... However ...whether or not you believe ... I feel many have been blessed by the grace of God in this situation and sometimes THINGS do happen for a reason ...

I' feel compelled to state what has occured to me as a warning for others' this can NOT be swept away ,it is TOO important .

I read a post here about someone elses transmission acting up and they thanked another poster because something they had said helped them ... if I help ONLY one ...in any way .... thats enough for me as I feel everyone's life is worth just as much as the next guy.

Eventually I'll walk away from this ..... But I am not ready yet ,so please don't be offended by my post's and if your car is not having a problem like this ,then I truly am happy for you ,but I have not been so lucky and maybe there IS a reason for it .

Quick Reply: 2003 TL-s Transmission Failure