2003 acura tl type-s vs. 2003 acura rsx type-s

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 acura tl type-s vs. 2003 acura rsx type-s

I am currently going to buy a new car and I am deciding between these two. I need opinions becasue I like both of them. I am aware they are completely different cars!! Now if I get the TL i plan on lowering it, would that take the luxury out of it?? I need peoples EDUCATED opinions because they are pretty much the same price and I cannot decide right now. Thanks
Old 07-09-2006, 06:06 PM
should i spend more in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've driven both the TL-S and RSX-S. Both are nice cars, but it depends on what you want. The TL will be a much more luxurious ride (obviously) even when lowered (as long as you put together the right suspension) it still rides great. The RSX is lighter, so you feel more, you hear more as far as road noise is concerned, but it's also a lot of fun to drive. It's nice that it comes in 6 speed, but it still doesn't compare to the acceleration of the TL imo. I would choose the TL b/c it is a luxury sport sedan with great creature comforts. But then again, I would pick the RSX and not worry about tranny problems. My suggestion, drive both back to back and come up with your own conclusion.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kgrules12
I am currently going to buy a new car and I am deciding between these two. I need opinions becasue I like both of them. I am aware they are completely different cars!! Now if I get the TL i plan on lowering it, would that take the luxury out of it?? I need peoples EDUCATED opinions because they are pretty much the same price and I cannot decide right now. Thanks

I don't know much about the RSX. But when I dropped my car on my H&R's I think the ride got better then the factory ride.

I say TL hands down. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Superb
I've driven both the TL-S and RSX-S. Both are nice cars, but it depends on what you want. The TL will be a much more luxurious ride (obviously) even when lowered (as long as you put together the right suspension) it still rides great. The RSX is lighter, so you feel more, you hear more as far as road noise is concerned, but it's also a lot of fun to drive. It's nice that it comes in 6 speed, but it still doesn't compare to the acceleration of the TL imo. I would choose the TL b/c it is a luxury sport sedan with great creature comforts. But then again, I would pick the RSX and not worry about tranny problems. My suggestion, drive both back to back and come up with your own conclusion.
Great response. Have u lowered your tl, what kind of suspension do u have? Also when do the tranny problems kick in (how many miles) and how much does it cost to fix? Am I right about they dont sell the 03 tl-s with a manual transmission? I am really just looking for a daily driver. If I get the rsx I plan on lowering it and putting an intake on it thats about it.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:31 PM
03' NBP TL-S

TL-S is much more luxurious. If you only plan on intake and lower, then there's really no point in getting a rsx-s because that has way more options to mod out excessively. If you're not into racing get the TL-S cuz it's the best of both worlds.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:31 PM
should i spend more in

Yea, I lowered mine with Eibach Prokits and it rides better than stock. H&R's are also good springs. I had those on my previous car and would have gotten them for this car but I got the Eibach's for a steal. Around here H&R (#50103's) seem to be the most popular choice unless you decide to go with a full coilover setup.

The tranny problem's don't really have a "mileage" that problems occur it just does. So make sure you have the 7yr/100k warranty so it'll be free to swap it out. There are some members on the board that have received the new tranny design and haven't had problems (do a search in the problems & fixes subforum).

You are right, no TL's came in manual until the redesign in 04. However, one of the members here did swap a 6 speed tranny from a CL into his TL.

Which reminds me, if you'd like a coupe, try and find an 03 CL 6-speed. If you want a daily driver, get the TL or CL. Welcome to the boards, and do a search for all the general questions you may have. There is tons of info on the site, and I'd hate for you to get
Old 07-09-2006, 06:40 PM
03' NBP TL-S

Tranny has a 7 year 100,000 mi. extended warrenty. Don't worry about it.

My TL-S is dropped on h&R sports which are amazing. paired with koni or tokico shocks, it still a comfortable/sporty ride. You can also look into tein coilovers, which are also very pricy but popular.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

i say you go with the tl-s
Old 07-09-2006, 08:16 PM
99TL-p 114K

Its as simple as this. Let me give you a real life situation as an example of what car you should get. I dont know if that makes any sense but, hear me out. I drive a 99TL-P and i wish i could of gotten the Type S but i couldnt. Anyways, When i think about luxury and good performance, i think of The ACURA TL. Its a hot ride, clean, sharp looking and classy/sporty all at the same time. Its got a pretty damn good engine in there and in u r case an engine puttin out 260 HP+ including mods obviously. Now my TL is super reliable. Runs great and is pretty good on gas mileage. But when i think about spending more money in Engine Mods to increase the HP of my TL, thats when i start to wish i had a sport compact car. If u want performance YOU WILL GET THE RSX TYPE S. HANDS DOWN IT KILLS.

Why get the RSX TYPE S??
Number 1, if you dont have kids or your young and in college, u dont need the 4 door car.

Number 2, the TL plain and outwright needs to loose weight. Its a heavy car when performance comes to mind. The RSX is light and is gona move quicker then the TL would due to less weight.

Number 3, The RSX is made for performance and performance upgrades. You can tune an RSX and make it quick as hell. Turbo etc. Its str8 up a Sport Compact Tuner car that u can mod to have alot more horse power and outperform a TL hands down. The TL is slow and can not compete seriously with a fully turboed RSX etc. My TL can no where compete with my friends Jetta GLI thats 1.8 Turbo. He's chipped and all the other shit and hes fast as fuck. If I do exhaust etc, im still not fast enough. It would take an expensive ass Supercharger to be able to some what compete with a sport compact car, and thats not even worth it cuz a supercharger is mad expensive and i dont plan on having this car forever, its gona get me through college and into a real world job and after that ill be buying my first brand new car.

Look, its as simple as this, is you wana be quick, Get an RSX and mod the shit out of it. If you dont care about speed and Quickness, Just get the TL TYPE S and ull be ridin real good. Luxry and sporty at the same time, enough for you to enjoy the engies power atleast. Anyways, hope that helps kinda. If i didnt make any sense, please tell me.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:34 PM
TLingggggggg

Of course no one is gonna say RSX-Type S cuz this is a TL forum hehe jk GO FOR THE RSX- Type S ..... my answer is like credible for I've only drive my friend's 2005 RSX Type S around the parking lot since im still a stick shift noob for now.....Both cars are nice and the TL's are a comfortable ride...just get the 02 TL Type S and you ll have 260hp along with that as compared to our 225 hp regular TL's....Choooseeeee Wisely Young Jediiiiii....Comeeeee to the TL sideeee of the Forceeee and May the Acura force be with you. ^^
Old 07-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dvsxlt247
Its as simple as this. Let me give you a real life situation as an example of what car you should get. I dont know if that makes any sense but, hear me out. I drive a 99TL-P and i wish i could of gotten the Type S but i couldnt. Anyways, When i think about luxury and good performance, i think of The ACURA TL. Its a hot ride, clean, sharp looking and classy/sporty all at the same time. Its got a pretty damn good engine in there and in u r case an engine puttin out 260 HP+ including mods obviously. Now my TL is super reliable. Runs great and is pretty good on gas mileage. But when i think about spending more money in Engine Mods to increase the HP of my TL, thats when i start to wish i had a sport compact car. If u want performance YOU WILL GET THE RSX TYPE S. HANDS DOWN IT KILLS.

Why get the RSX TYPE S??
Number 1, if you dont have kids or your young and in college, u dont need the 4 door car.

Number 2, the TL plain and outwright needs to loose weight. Its a heavy car when performance comes to mind. The RSX is light and is gona move quicker then the TL would due to less weight.

Number 3, The RSX is made for performance and performance upgrades. You can tune an RSX and make it quick as hell. Turbo etc. Its str8 up a Sport Compact Tuner car that u can mod to have alot more horse power and outperform a TL hands down. The TL is slow and can not compete seriously with a fully turboed RSX etc. My TL can no where compete with my friends Jetta GLI thats 1.8 Turbo. He's chipped and all the other shit and hes fast as fuck. If I do exhaust etc, im still not fast enough. It would take an expensive ass Supercharger to be able to some what compete with a sport compact car, and thats not even worth it cuz a supercharger is mad expensive and i dont plan on having this car forever, its gona get me through college and into a real world job and after that ill be buying my first brand new car.

Look, its as simple as this, is you wana be quick, Get an RSX and mod the shit out of it. If you dont care about speed and Quickness, Just get the TL TYPE S and ull be ridin real good. Luxry and sporty at the same time, enough for you to enjoy the engies power atleast. Anyways, hope that helps kinda. If i didnt make any sense, please tell me.

Yeah this makes pretty good sense, im just confuse a little. You said that the tl couldn't stand up to the rsx in terms of performance. Doesn't the tl type s have like 260 hp while the rsx only has 201. I know the tl is bigger but i think the 60 horse would off set this, if im wrong please tell me, like i said i am still deciding between the two.

Also which one has a better 1/4 mile time?? I know the rsx runs a 15.1 what does the tl run?

I guess the only thing stopping me from fully committing to the tl is the transmission. I will probably buy it with around 30-60k miles on it and I am not sure the warranty will still be on it. Also if i mod it , lower it, put rims on it and a lip kit will the warranty still be in tact.

So please someone please assure me the transmission isn't THAT big of an issue to let me totally dismiss the tl.

Also I don't plan on moding the rsx totally I already did that to the civic i currently own and i don't think its worth it. If I got the rsx i would just lower it, new rims, carbon fiber hood, and MAYBE an intake.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I say TL-S. Classy and sophisticated. Lots of creature comforts and extras the RSX doesn't have. V-6 with potential. However, RSX's can make some impressive times with just bolt on's. While I know you realize they are completely different cars, that's still something very important to note. Plan on having a family soon? RSX isn't the best decision. Have a job where you carpool to luncheons or meet with clients? I'd go for the TL. Like the other guy said, it's the best of both world's.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
i say f*** them both and get a KIA RIO yeeeaaahhhhh.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:57 PM
99TL-p 114K

Yeah this makes pretty good sense, im just confuse a little. You said that the tl couldn't stand up to the rsx in terms of performance. Doesn't the tl type s have like 260 hp while the rsx only has 201. I know the tl is bigger but i think the 60 horse would off set this, if im wrong please tell me, like i said i am still deciding between the two.

Also which one has a better 1/4 mile time?? I know the rsx runs a 15.1 what does the tl run?

I guess the only thing stopping me from fully committing to the tl is the transmission. I will probably buy it with around 30-60k miles on it and I am not sure the warranty will still be on it. Also if i mod it , lower it, put rims on it and a lip kit will the warranty still be in tact.

So please someone please assure me the transmission isn't THAT big of an issue to let me totally dismiss the tl.

Also I don't plan on moding the rsx totally I already did that to the civic i currently own and i don't think its worth it. If I got the rsx i would just lower it, new rims, carbon fiber hood, and MAYBE an intake.
PRAISE THE LORD, WE HAVE A DECISION! lol. You just decided it for yourself in the last line you said, and i quote, "Also I don't plan on moding the rsx totally I already did that to the civic i currently own and i don't think its worth it. If I got the rsx i would just lower it, new rims, carbon fiber hood, and MAYBE an intake." Like i said, Since now you said you would only hook your RSX up for looks, Then just go ahead and buy the TL. Just make sure you get it under 60K. Try to find out if its got the original tranny in still or if it already has had a new one put in by the dealer. If you put a KIT etc, it shouldnt void the warranty. I dont know exactly though if changing out the suspension and putting an intake in would affect the warranty. You might want to call your local acura dealer and ask them about that. As for quarter mile time, It doesnt matter. Obviously your not concernced about speed, and yes the TL has a better engine AT STOCK with 260 horse which is plenty for a normal driver that aint into racing etc, but modded!!! NO WAY DOES THE TL ENGINE BEAT A MODDED RSX TYPE S lol. Oh and if you lower your TL with some nice springs, you'll be just fine. The ride is very smooth and great at stock but if you lower it with some nice springs the ride is even better, although yes you will feel the road a little more but its nothing thats like OMG THIS RIDE IS STIFF AS SHIT lol. Its not like that, The ride after changing your springs is more sporty, handles better and is deff smooth but at the same time feeling the road a lil more then before. If you wana get some nice suspension and your willing to spend the bucks, get yourself a set of TEIN SUPER STREET Coilovers or the TEIN BASICS which are the same thing just without adjustment control and cheaper. Anyways, looks like your getting a 2003 ACURA TL. HOLLA!!! Welcome to the club.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:02 PM
99TL-p 114K

Originally Posted by INSPIRE 32V
i say f*** them both and get a KIA RIO yeeeaaahhhhh.

WTF, get the hell outta here LMAO.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Advanced

PRAISE THE LORD, WE HAVE A DECISION! lol. You just decided it for yourself in the last line you said, and i quote, "Also I don't plan on moding the rsx totally I already did that to the civic i currently own and i don't think its worth it. If I got the rsx i would just lower it, new rims, carbon fiber hood, and MAYBE an intake." Like i said, Since now you said you would only hook your RSX up for looks, Then just go ahead and buy the TL. Just make sure you get it under 60K. Try to find out if its got the original tranny in still or if it already has had a new one put in by the dealer. If you put a KIT etc, it shouldnt void the warranty. I dont know exactly though if changing out the suspension and putting an intake in would affect the warranty. You might want to call your local acura dealer and ask them about that. As for quarter mile time, It doesnt matter. Obviously your not concernced about speed, and yes the TL has a better engine AT STOCK with 260 horse which is plenty for a normal driver that aint into racing etc, but modded!!! NO WAY DOES THE TL ENGINE BEAT A MODDED RSX TYPE S lol. Oh and if you lower your TL with some nice springs, you'll be just fine. The ride is very smooth and great at stock but if you lower it with some nice springs the ride is even better, although yes you will feel the road a little more but its nothing thats like OMG THIS RIDE IS STIFF AS SHIT lol. Its not like that, The ride after changing your springs is more sporty, handles better and is deff smooth but at the same time feeling the road a lil more then before. If you wana get some nice suspension and your willing to spend the bucks, get yourself a set of TEIN SUPER STREET Coilovers or the TEIN BASICS which are the same thing just without adjustment control and cheaper. Anyways, looks like your getting a 2003 ACURA TL. HOLLA!!! Welcome to the club.

Yeah my minds pretty much made up, gonna get the tl, still worried about the tranny though. Hey I saw your car in the photo section, its pretty clean. What kind of rims are those and how much of a drop to you have on that. That is one of the cleanest tl's I have seen.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:33 PM
99TL-p 114K

Yeah my minds pretty much made up, gonna get the tl, still worried about the tranny though. Hey I saw your car in the photo section, its pretty clean. What kind of rims are those and how much of a drop to you have on that. That is one of the cleanest tl's I have seen.
The Rims are Made by Nakayama Racing. There hard to find some what. I live in South Florida and i drove up to West Palm Beach to have this one guy custom order them direct from the manufacture. He personally new the owner "Mr. Nakayama" so he was able to speak to him and had a set shipped out to his shop in West Palm where i later picked them up from. A bit of a drive but there was no other rim i wanted, Only that one and i wasnt settling for nothing less. The rims are 18x7.5 and the tires are 225/40/18. The suspesion is TEIN Super Street Coilovers. Fully adjustable Ride Height and Spring Rate. When i had them installed I told them i wanted to mainly close up most of the gap but not drop it too low because it is a car that i drive daily ya know and i dont wana be rediculously low. So the one guy that did the install set it just right and i was happy with it when he brought it off the lift. The front is about 1 1/2 finger gap which is about a 1 inch gap. If you measure its 25 inches from the ground up to the edge of the fender. The back is a 2 finger gap that fits tight. Thats about a 1inch and some tiny number gap. If you measure its 25 1/4 inches from the ground up to the edge of the fender. The guy that installed them set the back height on the coilovers a quarter of an inch higher which is how a car is supposed to be set and i like it that way better then level all around. If you notice how a stock TL sits, the front end up the car is leaning upward and the back end of the car sags leaning downward. I hate that, so thats why once i had my coilovers installed, the guy that did them knew what he was doing for sure because setting it higher in the back by a little is the way it should be. Thanks for the compliments on the whip. Ummm, heres my first photo shoot i did when i had everything put on the car at once. Not sure if u saw this one. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=World+Premier
Old 07-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

I say get the RSX
Old 07-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Advanced

The Rims are Made by Nakayama Racing. There hard to find some what. I live in South Florida and i drove up to West Palm Beach to have this one guy custom order them direct from the manufacture. He personally new the owner "Mr. Nakayama" so he was able to speak to him and had a set shipped out to his shop in West Palm where i later picked them up from. A bit of a drive but there was no other rim i wanted, Only that one and i wasnt settling for nothing less. The rims are 18x7.5 and the tires are 225/40/18. The suspesion is TEIN Super Street Coilovers. Fully adjustable Ride Height and Spring Rate. When i had them installed I told them i wanted to mainly close up most of the gap but not drop it too low because it is a car that i drive daily ya know and i dont wana be rediculously low. So the one guy that did the install set it just right and i was happy with it when he brought it off the lift. The front is about 1 1/2 finger gap which is about a 1 inch gap. If you measure its 25 inches from the ground up to the edge of the fender. The back is a 2 finger gap that fits tight. Thats about a 1inch and some tiny number gap. If you measure its 25 1/4 inches from the ground up to the edge of the fender. The guy that installed them set the back height on the coilovers a quarter of an inch higher which is how a car is supposed to be set and i like it that way better then level all around. If you notice how a stock TL sits, the front end up the car is leaning upward and the back end of the car sags leaning downward. I hate that, so thats why once i had my coilovers installed, the guy that did them knew what he was doing for sure because setting it higher in the back by a little is the way it should be. Thanks for the compliments on the whip. Ummm, heres my first photo shoot i did when i had everything put on the car at once. Not sure if u saw this one. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=World+Premier
Good shit!!! Does it rub at all?? Also where did you get ur lip kit?? I started looking and I can't find a complete kit, do you know a good place to get one>>
Old 07-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CL Platano
I say get the RSX
Why, do you not like your tl or something?? Please explain, thanks.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Banned

two completly different cars...coupe and sedan...its all based on what YOU want. of course were gonna say tl, cuz we like our tls, but it depends on if u want a coupe or sedan.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Belongs in car talk ... not here.

Thread closed.