2003 Acura TL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2003 Acura TL?

Acuar TL is supposed to be redesign for 2003 model year. Has anyone seen or heard anything about the new TL?
Old 08-24-2001, 12:03 AM
Advanced

Really??
Didn't they just "redesign" the 2002?
I mean, with the new headlights, hood, grill & bumber?
Oh yea, and the new TL wheels!!

KH
Old 08-24-2001, 12:10 AM
Pro

Originally posted by kwanghun
Really??
Didn't they just "redesign" the 2002?
I mean, with the new headlights, hood, grill & bumber?
Oh yea, and the new TL wheels!!

KH
Yeah, I believe Acura considers the 2002 to be the 3rd generation TL.
Old 08-24-2001, 10:48 AM
Racer

TL

Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but the TL is getting remodeled.
The changes for 2002 are only "tweaks" (Slightly changed grill, different headlights, etc. but the car is more or less the same)
It's getting redesigned for 2004, so our current model will have had a lifespan of 5yrs.
Only newstuff for 2003 will be the 6speed stick.
Old 08-24-2001, 11:02 AM
Pro

Re: TL

Originally posted by mikegunnz
The changes for 2002 are only "tweaks" (Slightly changed grill, different headlights, etc. but the car is more or less the same)
It's getting redesigned for 2004, so our current model will have had a lifespan of 5yrs.

the new front end will only keep this current style for another couple of years then Acura will be forced to make new adjustments to beat competitors.... like new ALtimita or Maximia... 6 speed will eventually be in demand due to the luxurious nature of the car itself
Old 08-24-2001, 11:55 AM
Pro

I'm interested in knowing when the 2004 model will be available. I'm going to be in the market for a new car as of Jan 2003 and am hoping that Acura stays with the spring release of new models and offers the 2004 in March or April 2003. That way I can get the new model if I like the style or pick up a leftover 2003 at a leftover discount. I'm hoping a backlit dash will be available by then. I don't care about the 6-speed tranny since my wife has to be able to drive the car too.

I know my purchase is about a year and a half away but damn, I can't stop thinking about it and have been reading this board religiously since last October when my friend bought his 2001 Laguna Green TL. I'm already budgeting the mods into the puchase price.

Another thing I'm considering is buying the car and mods from Park Ave Acura even though it's over 2 hours away. Based on what I've read from this board and Wayne's very good information on this board - I would rather drive a distance for a good dealer than go to a local one that I know nothing about or that I don't trust. The only thing I'm not sure about is if I bought from Park Ave whether or not I could have my car serviced locally without any hassles.
Old 08-24-2001, 12:29 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

I've heard new designed TL will come out on 2004......
Old 08-24-2001, 01:52 PM
Pro

I'd be surprised at this considering most auto manufacturers choose to release new autos/styles prior to the model year to get a publicly-perceived jump on the competition. I expect the 2004 to be released in 2003 and am hoping for Spring rather than Fall. If it's a dramatic improvement I would still wait but each day that goes by makes it more difficult waiting.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:18 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Re: TL

Originally posted by mikegunnz
I don't think Honda/Acura has officially announced that there will be a 6-speed stick for the TL line, but its official for the CL line.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:28 PM
Pro

I was watching one of those Motorweek shows on TV in July and the host said that the 6-speed TL was scheduled for the next model year. I don't remember the name of the show but it was on TNN I believe. I was on vacation in NC and flipping channels and cought the program. Thats' why I'm not too clear on the show name or channel but I know what I heard.
Old 08-24-2001, 05:09 PM
5th Gear

crmsnidol--> I'm very interested in getting the exact release date myself. My lease on my 2000 TL is up in June of '03, and I want to know if the "new redesigned" '04 model will be available then.

I hope someone on this board who works for Acura can shed some light on this issue!
Old 08-24-2001, 07:39 PM
Instructor

whenever they upgrade the accord the TL will follow closely since they are based on the same midsize universal platform.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:38 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by iatacs19
whenever they upgrade the accord the TL will follow closely since they are based on the same midsize universal platform.
I understand that the Accord will be redesigned in 2003, for a 6th generation lasting for 5 years. the present TL (2nd generation), started in 1999 so it appears a new TL will arrive in 2004, if the 5 year rule is applicable.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Can we all just give up that 6 speed dream? It isn't even happening for the CL. Talk to your dealers, but don't talk to a sales rep. Talk to the service advisers or GM. They considered the 6 speed in CL, but just aint gonna happen.
Old 08-24-2001, 10:23 PM
Pro

There is a 99.999% chance that the new redesign will incorporate a new engine. Honda said sometime ago that they will revamp all their products with a more sophisticated V-TEC system called i-VTEC over the coming years. I believe the RSX is the first Honda product to the use this in North America.
Old 08-27-2001, 10:53 AM
Intermediate

Acura is going to release a 6 speed CL-S, and maybe a 6 speed TL-S. click the shortcut to read more.http://www.vtec.net/news/02/
Old 08-27-2001, 10:58 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
But if they do make one... then I would wonder if they will redesign the parking brake or not... I know that you can make do without them... but they come in handy once awhile...
Old 08-27-2001, 07:31 PM
Acuras Only in

Smile

Very true about the brake : I have got used to the TL's left-side press brake that whenever I drive other friends' cars, I would be kicking air down there
Old 08-27-2001, 08:02 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by shooter
Very true about the brake : I have got used to the TL's left-side press brake that whenever I drive other friends' cars, I would be kicking air down there
That parking brake, after having several Hondas with a hand brake, was hard to get used to. Everytime I get in my Honda, I now try to put the foot brake on, yet its not there, just like that auto up window I dont have in my Honda.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:13 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the CL-S 6-speed comes out, I'm sure they will relocate the Parking brake to the center console.. you would look like a dumbass with the manual tranny and trying to put the parking brake on with your foot..

Here is their record:
99 TL - 4spd
00TL - 5spd came out, WTF?
01TL - upgraded the cupholder
02TL - 260HP Type-S introduced, with some body changes, 6-disc CD, etc.. etc... Fock You Honduh!!!

2003 Redesign.. not going to happen.

2004, maybe.

2005, most likely!

Doesn't matter anyway, Not planning to get a TL again unless it came in San Marino Red!! Up next is the MDX baby!!
Old 08-27-2001, 08:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Edub-TL
When the CL-S 6-speed comes out, I'm sure they will relocate the Parking brake to the center console.. you would look like a dumbass with the manual tranny and trying to put the parking brake on with your foot..

Not to mention the footwell is going to get awfully crowded with the four pedals down there....
Old 08-27-2001, 11:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Here is their record:
99 TL - 4spd
00TL - 5spd came out, WTF?
01TL - upgraded the cupholder
02TL - 260HP Type-S introduced, with some body changes, 6-disc CD, etc.. etc... Fock You Honduh!!!
2003 Redesign.. not going to happen.
2004, maybe.
2005, most likely!
[/B]
That's why I always end up regretting buying a car when it first comes out redesigned. I buy the 1999 model, and I get screwed with the 5spd in 2000. But if I wait until 2002 for the Type S, my car will be out of style after a 2 years (new model change). Like, why not wait 2 years for the new model, right? But then I'll be without a new car for 5 years! Ack! Life is just not fair, esp when it comes to buying a car. Honda should not do this to us.
Old 08-28-2001, 02:20 AM
Racer

Angry

Here is their record:
99 TL - 4spd
00TL - 5spd came out, Side Airbags, DVD Navi w/ improved screen WTF?

Fock You Honduh!!!

Old 08-28-2001, 02:47 AM
yee
Burning Brakes

ha..that's why I've learned to tell myself that it's when you bought the car that counts. Otherwise I would have to stab myself every year.
Old 08-28-2001, 07:09 AM
Racer

Hey crimson....I looked @ your location then noticed you were thinking of going to Wayne to get your car???? I recommend visiting them, and trying to put them into competition with SusSman and Classic, then buying from classic if they will give you a good price, that is where I got mine, and let me tell you... if i have had a problem, they have addressed it... not that they are the absolute best, i wouldn't know, but they please me.... a very demanding person. Wayne is far way though.... service....
Old 08-28-2001, 09:11 AM
Drifting

Edub: It's just like buying a PC. I still have a 400MHz P2 at home. It was a hero when I bought it last year, but now it's a dinosaur. But so what? I'm still happy with it.

I'm sure the upcoming TL's will have big improvements in general. So what? Try not to be envious and enjoy the car you own.
Old 08-28-2001, 10:35 AM
Pro

Originally posted by daverman
I'm sure the upcoming TL's will have big improvements in general. So what? Try not to be envious and enjoy the car you own.

As much as i want to but im pretty sure i cant resist
Old 08-28-2001, 12:42 PM
Pro

MikeyB

Yeah I know you're in my area. I saw thay too.

I don't like pitting dealers against each other. I want their best price the first time and tell them that. Whomever gives me the best price gets my business. I can get service work at whatever Honda/Acura dealership I want. My purchase is a way of at this point. Either spring 2003 or fall 2003 depending on if the 2004 model is due then and if I like the style. The wait will kill me but I've been planning on this car since Oct 2000.

Since I want some mods at delivery I can either buy from Wayne or immed schedule a brand new car to have mods installed at a local speed shop which I would rather not do. I don't mind a distance purchase and the sweet, sweet drive home in my new baby but if i ever had to go back up there - a 2 hour ride each way PLUS the labor time is a bit too much. I agree. I'll get a price from Wayne at Park Ave when I'm ready to buy as well as the guys locally. Of course, I'll get most of my mods through Tim and his site.

At delivery I'm expecting to get:

- Upper and Lower Comptech Sways
- Comptech Springs
- AEM CAI
- Wings West Body kit (may or may not get spoiler)

I'm also going to have some sort of MP3-capable system installed with upgraded subs and amp. For that I'll talk to Ron when the time comes. I have a sizable collection of MP3's and want to take advantage of them. For that reason I'm torn about getting NAV or not because I don't want to interfere with the NAV workings and compatability with a secondary or replacement headunit

I haven't been thrilled with the Classic dealerships in the area and my friend bought from Sussman. Not impressed by the dealership or the swarmy, no knowledge saleman who said the wood trim was real wood and commented that you can tell the car is fast by looking under the hood. I mean c'mon! I am willing to travel and have also read and spoke with people who had great experiences with Precision Acura of Princeton. They gave one of my co-workers a very good price because he bought in their area instead of locally down here. That's a much more easy ride than North Jersey.

What color did you get? I'm definitely getting white and wish they would make the TL-S in taffeta. I don't like the pearl paint.
Old 08-28-2001, 01:01 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by daverman
Edub: It's just like buying a PC. I still have a 400MHz P2 at home. It was a hero when I bought it last year, but now it's a dinosaur. But so what? I'm still happy with it.

400Mhz is hardly dinosaur, most applications don't even take advantage of the crazy faster speeds of the chips out... and I'm sure you didn't spend more than about $2000 on it. Not only that, you can always upgrade and add it to make it better for very little money.

But you gotta think also, you were not the one who got stuck with the 4spd 99, or the 01 with upgraded cupholder.. you have a nice new TL-S with all the improvements on the previous models . I don't know if you had a TL previously though, did you?

I'm not envious, I'm just very unsatisfied with what they did with my car... and mainly with the fact that the Type-S was release so soon after I got my car. Why couldn't they have built some of those improvements into the 01 model?? It was like they just put out the car just to get a label out there. If they had waited until around this time to release the 02 model, I probably would have been okay as well. This experience definately did not keep me as a repeat TL buyer.

Yes, I know I should have done more research on it, I should have waited... I was only fortunate to find this forum 1 month after I got my car , if I knew about it, I know I would have made a better decision. I don't have to have the latest and greatest by any means, I am simply unhappy with the purchase because I did not have a choice to get the newer one or not.

Oh well, we all live and learn, that's life. I'll enjoy what I have, and I'm grateful. But I can't but help think about what I could have had.. I'm only human.

Like I said, never going to get another TL unless it came in San Marino Red!!

ps, sorry for this looong ass post, I'm just venting.
Old 08-28-2001, 01:18 PM
Racer

Damn, man you got a lot of $h!t going... ok so where to start?? I don't know that I agree with the whoever gets the first-best-price approach, but that is a matter of personal choice, so i can't say anything else...

As for the NAVI, system, I'm sure streeteffectz can work something out for you if you really wanted the nav system + the MP3 player, he seems to work wonders from what i've seen, but definetly don't get an aftermarket NAVI, from the recent postings I saw that was much more expensive. just my opinion.

Also, I agree that the guys from Sussman were dip****s... the guy told me i could play dvd's onthe nav screen...nope. He then wasn't as willing to work with me because I am young, and would buy into his BS (i may be young but I'm lot smarter than he thought ) he wanted me to buy into the whole leasing may be a better option to lower your payments, and well, you're not going to have the kind of APR you want... if you don't like my numbers you can go. Well, too bad Rudy Hicks, Classic got the sale, I got the numbers I wanted and you got no sale :p

BTW I got the SIlver w/ black int w/ nav.... and am loving every minute of driving it...
Old 08-28-2001, 01:40 PM
Pro

Well, consider this

2000 Maxima new design from 1999 model
2002 Maxima face lift and a different engine
2003 Maxima new design and rumor maybe a RWD.
2004 Maxima rumor maybe a V8 engine

What is going on? Maybe the car manufacture want us to buy a new car every year.
Old 08-28-2001, 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, you are right. But unfortunately, knowing that doesn't make you feel any better (that somehow you got taken to the cleaners). JMHO.
Old 08-28-2001, 02:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by tgif
Well, consider this

2000 Maxima new design from 1999 model
2002 Maxima face lift and a different engine
2003 Maxima new design and rumor maybe a RWD.
2004 Maxima rumor maybe a V8 engine

What is going on? Maybe the car manufacture want us to buy a new car every year.
Yes you are correct. If car manufacturers didn't do that, there would be no incentive to get buyers to buy their cars. I know - an Acura salesman mentioned to me a few times, hey upgrade to the new model, it's just a few thousand dollars more with a trade in! The new TL has this and that which your TL doesn't (rubs it in). Yah right I told him. Do I look like I'm made of money?
Old 08-28-2001, 04:00 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Newer cars almost always come out with new gadgets and more horsepower. Think about this, if there was no 260hp TL-S, lots of horsepower-crazed buyers would go for the 255hp I35 or Maxima, including me. Honda upgrades its cars to maintain its share of the car market, and keeps its cars competitive with other makers.

For those who feel bad about their cars being out-powered or out-featured by next year's model, I suggest them leasing their cars instead of buying them. In this way, they can upgrade their cars to maintain the most up-to-date technology.
Old 08-28-2001, 04:29 PM
Instructor

I'm not envious, I'm just very unsatisfied with what they did with my car... and mainly with the fact that the Type-S was release so soon after I got my car. Why couldn't they have built some of those improvements into the 01 model?? It was like they just put out the car just to get a label out there. If they had waited until around this time to release the 02 model, I probably would have been okay as well.
Edub-TL

I feel your pain. I too purchased my '01 TL in late February only to find the '02 TL-S coming out just over a month later. It used to bother me but I just let it go...

BTW - Congrats on your upcoming wedding

Just Me
Old 08-28-2001, 04:46 PM
Pro

MikeyB

I got a lot going because I've had a lot of time to think about it! I'll bet you are enjoying your TL. That'll be me in due time but for now I'll live vicariously through this board.

The lame-o at Sussman is named Jordan Albuck. Who knows if he's even there anymore but he was the epitome of a car salesman. I went to the showroom with Gatekeeper (on this board) twice and the guy was oozing the take-it-or-leave-it attitude both times. You know the attitude - "This is an Acura - of course it's real wood". Wrong Jordan. Is Acura planning on coming out with a faster version of the TL as rumored? "Of course not, why would they do that?". I would specifically NOT use him. I don't think we need dealers anyway but that's another story.

I'm already registered on Ron's site, have seen all of the pics for his installs and would definitely go through him for a custom job. I wouldn't trust anyone else to treat my car as they would their own like Ron obviously does. I'll either get a CD head unit that supports MP3 CD-Rs or have Ron build me a solution around an MP3 Jukebox and switchable system that's easily removable but hidden. Who knows what will be available when I'm ready to buy.

If you are ever in and around Deptford and see a no-frills Red 4-dr 93 Civic DX and a guy leering at your car - smile politely and try not to rub it in too much. It's probably just me.