2003 Accord 5spd automatics and TL tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 12:13 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2003 Accord 5spd automatics and TL tranny issue

Hey guys, I was just reading Honda's news releases on the new Accord. What I noticed is the 5spd automatics which will go in the V-6 configuration will use a variation of our transmission! The modifications may be a result of the problems reported by TL owners. Here is what they said:

5-Speed Automatic Transmission for V6 Engines
The 5-speed automatic transmission used in V6 Accord models is different from the one in 4-cylinder models, but similar to the one used in new Acura 3.2 TL. This wide ratio transmission's lower gears provide quick acceleration while the tall top gear ratios result in low cruising rpm levels for reduced noise and lower fuel consumption. One difference from the TL transmission is the addition of the ETC system to further enhance shift smoothness by momentarily closing the throttle (reducing torque) at shift points.

Because the transmission shares the idler and third-gear clutches, the transmission provides five ratios in a unit about the size of a conventional 4-speed transmission. The transmission also incorporates a first gear one-way clutch for smoother shifts, plus a heat exchanger that controls and moderates transmission operating temperatures for both durability and improved shifting smoothness.

Now why would they add in a heat exchanger, if heat is not a problem. Remember some of my previous post on the dangers of overheated transmission fluid kills transmissions?!

Can anyone verify if our TL transmissions have this heat exchanger?
Old 07-31-2002, 08:10 PM
PAW
Instructor

Yes and no

If my memory serves me, '99 and '00 have fitting to add an external A/T heat exchanger. Some one did it. '01 and newer have a coolant fluid to A/T fluid heat exchanger with no provisions for an external A/T heat exchanger.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:19 PM
STi
Racer

i also believe that lack of cooling is a big concern on this issue
someone posted an article from canadiandrivers.com about how to take care of your transmission, and this guy who claims to work at a honda dealers or something at acl.com also said that for some reason, honda engineers for some reason decided not to build something to aid cooling of the transmission, but rather, they just rely on the transmission fluid to do all the cooling
i cannot confirm that, but it makes sense