2003 3.2TL Type-S Audio Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 06:52 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 3.2TL Type-S Audio Issue

Hey guys! I posted this to the problems sub thread as well, but I wanted to reach out to a larger audience regarding my issue. I've been searching around the forums and can't find anything useful regarding my car. I've got a 2003 3.2TL Type-S w/Navigation that's been an absolute dream to me. So, my car has an issue with the subwoofer through an aftermarket head unit where the subwoofer is completely cut off. It's been doing this for a couple months now where it will cut off, then I would have to turn the volume up to around 24/40, where it would then cut on and work flawlessly. It is still the original factory Bose subwoofer. As far as I know, it still uses the factory Bose amps, but I'm no car audio expert. It's completely silent, save for the second I turn my headlights on. As soon as I turn the dial on the stalk, a buzz starts to come from the subwoofer, and it only gets louder when I turn the dial on my lower dash to dim the interior lights. It also changes pitch the more I dim the lights. What do you guys think could be causing this? Am I alone in this issue? The last thing I want to do is take it in to the shop and dish out unnecessary money over something I could've fixed myself. On to the head unit.

When I purchased my car, it came with an aftermarket head unit equipped, specifically the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX. This was a $700 stereo, not including installation charges. Whoever hooked it up did an awful job, as the USB connector is plugged into the iPod 2 slot on the back of the head unit, instead of the iPod 1 slot. So I can't use Apple CarPlay at all. There was also an aftermarket backup camera installed that only works when reversing. There's an option to view what's on the camera in the app drawer on the head unit, but when I open it, the screen remains black with the icons on the screen to go back or close camera view. On top of that, every once in a while my connection through the USB port using my iPhone's Lightning cable will start to crackle, then distort my music to where it doubles itself and starts playing off beat. This is fixed by unplugging the cable then plugging it back in. And it's not just my phone, but any device plugged in through USB through any Lightning cable. Bluetooth works just fine.

And a other small thing, neither of my heated seats work. The switch will light up when placed in high or low, but even after several minutes the seats are still the same room temperature. And not to mention, when I start my car it'll start up normally, but around the same time as the subwoofer going out, the "Maintenance Req'd" light flashes 4 or 5 times.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, yall, I've searched the whole internet and found nothing. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2016, 09:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't confuse me with somebody that knows much, but...

If the reverse camera is powered from the backup light circuit, then it might work as you describe.

-Tom in SoCal
The following users liked this post:
nollrus (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
So, assuming you are not very adept at 12V electronics, there is WAY too much here for you to troubleshoot... I would find either someone on CL if you are on a budget, or a descent 12V shop. Your seats are probably just shot (for the heaters, they go bad). You camera is probably hooked up to your reverse light for power (someone didn't want to run the wire to the front and connect it to your ACC power). The subwoofer is probably hooked up wrong (it needs a RCA cable ran to the amp, which is behind your back seat, pass. side). The USB issue is a Pioneer issue, and may or may not be a wiring issue (my wife's older D3 is crapping out in many ways). The maintenance required light is supposed to be reset when you change your oil, it will eventually stay on until it is reset. Hold your 2 buttons down on your dash and switch your ignition from off to all the way on (without starting your car). Wait 10-15 seconds, the light will go off. Release the buttons and turn your ignition to the off position. This will reset that light for 7500 miles.
The following users liked this post:
nollrus (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 05:38 PM
4th Gear

Thank you so much to the both of you, Groovemaster I love your UA5. Such a beautiful car. I have my 75,000 mile service I'm gonna go ahead and get out of the way soon, I'll keep that in mind once I get that done. My car is sitting at around 73,110+ miles. Given that it's supposed to be rest every 7,500 miles, I can only hope and pray it hasn't been running the same oil for that long. Granted, many synthetic oils nowadays can last up to 10,000 miles and beyond in favorable conditions, but I live in the Houston, Texas area. Not a very good area in terms of climate. Tom, I believe you and Groovemaster are correct. I remember looking in my trunk one day and seeing one of the tail light cables not connected to the clip. I'm just your average working 18 year old, you guys just made my life so much easier. I'm willing to bet it is a wiring issue, whoever hooked this thing up did an awful job. The connector isn't even on the correct slot on the back of the head unit. It's supposed to be USB1 but it's instead hooked up to USB2. So no Apple Carplay for me. I factory reset the head unit and it sounds a whole lot better. The speaker levels and audio filters, along with the custom EQs that I hadn't set were just too much for me, so I made it easy on myself and reset it all.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:39 PM
4th Gear

*Reset rather. Not rest.