2003 1.8t, i laugh

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 02:20 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ferizzo
I've heard that the new chassis for the A4/S4 has better handling characteristics than the previous gen. I love the new S4 and there is actually a comparo somewhere (video I mean) where they tested both the current M3 and the new S4. Straight line the M3 was a tad quicker in the 1/4 but around a track the S4 bested the M3's time by about a second. I'll try and find the link...read about it in A-CL.

Old 07-24-2003, 03:04 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by scalbert
Well, yes and no.

I agree but with a suspension there is sort of a grey area. What if one car is shod with summer only tires from the factory and the other with all season. Is changing the tires actually modifying the car?

Some manufacturers offer a sport suspension from the factory, others unfortunately do not. By adding slightly stiffer springs and sway bars may be modding but it could have certainly been offered that way from the factory. This is just to get the stiffness comparable. After that point it is all open.
yes tires is fine, but when you start changing sway bars, linkages, springs, struts and corner balancing, thats modding.

If a sport suspension is offered from the factory that would be stock so if they both have stock sport suspensions, and the audi's is better, you cant mod the TLS to make it even.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:24 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
ROFFLMAO...scalbert's getting a lecture on what "modding" is! I think I just shi+ myself laughing so hard...Silly noob...

yes tires is fine, but when you start changing sway bars, linkages, springs, struts and corner balancing, thats modding.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:57 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by r10apple
ROFFLMAO...scalbert's getting a lecture on what "modding" is! I think I just shi+ myself laughing so hard...Silly noob...
noob huh? Id seriously consider what your saying. im just new to the site yes, and just learning about these cars. tlak to me about anything FI and well see who the noob is
Old 07-24-2003, 04:06 PM
lover and fighter

FI?
Finance Incentives?
Fugly Isuzus?
Fu(king Idiots?
Funny Indiscretions???
Honestly, forced induction (or anything else in this genre) is likely best left to senor scalbert since he is probably more knowledgable about "modding" than all of us in this thread combined...Troll around long enough here and other acura sites and you will figure it out...
Old 07-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Advanced

thnx for the pointer, but ive had my fair share of FI projects, i consider my self knowledgeable because ive run into alot of issues that most people wouldnt ever run into. at least ill have someone to banter with when the topic comes up lol
Old 07-24-2003, 04:16 PM
lover and fighter

It's always good to have a thick skin 'cuz some of us here--and others assuredly elsewhere, will bust balls...

Juniorbean won't sensor this, so go to acura-cl.com and troll around cartalk and you'll see scalbert, allmotor_2000 and some others get way too fu(king technical about turbos, sc's, oxygen sensors, space shuttles and the like to make you vomit...
Old 07-24-2003, 04:20 PM
Advanced

ya ive got a thick skin and can handle pretty much anything lol.

but seriously, i dont understand why people get so anal, im just trying to make a point. nad if i get flamed for that, ill get my flame suit on. lol
Old 07-24-2003, 04:26 PM
lover and fighter

I can't believe you said 'anal', 'point' and 'thick skin' all in the same post!

:tflamer:
Old 07-24-2003, 04:27 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by r10apple
I can't believe you said 'anal', 'point' and 'thick skin' all in the same post!

:tflamer:
****er:bigun2:
Old 07-24-2003, 04:33 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
What part of Atlanta do you hail from and what all have you done to your A4??

An employee of mine has been toying with the idea of working his new A4 1.8t which I am all for and am trying to encourage (maybe I should pay him more then ). At this point he doesn't stand a chance against me nor did an A4 2.8 while heading into the office the other day. But it would be interesting to run against a highly modded A4 1.8t in my CL-S6SC.

I'm usually down in Auburn, Al at school, but when I am home, I am in the Alpharetta area. All that I have done is an APR stage 3 and a 2.5" exhaust. While some would consider a larger turbo A4 highly modded, the turbo that APR uses really isn't that big. Its only a 30 lb/min turbo and I make full boost (19 psi) at 3200 rpms with 5 psi coming in around 2400 rpms.

I have a friend who has a 2 liter conversion along with a T3/T4 hanging off the side. On 16 psi and pump gas, he ran a 13.5 @ 105. I would consider that car highly modded, or even a regular 1.8 liter with a bigger turbo.

I'm playing with the idea of machining a GT-30 catrige into my .60 a/r compressor housing as the .48 of the exhaust housing is the same on the specific trim GT-30 I am looking at. That turbo is about 38 lb/min and should give me around 330-340 hp on pump gas and close to 400 on race with full boost coming in around 3600 rpms.

Oh yeah, mind you this is all on the stock engine and drivetrain short of an aftermarket clutch. The 1.8T built quite beastly from the factory and 400 crank hp is not really pushing this motor.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:50 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
KaO, Thanks one article from one person who seemed biased to begin with. Either way the article was interesting. I'll post the video link whenever A-CL is up.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ecstasy_civic

If a sport suspension is offered from the factory that would be stock so if they both have stock sport suspensions, and the audi's is better, you cant mod the TLS to make it even.
Which is why I stated that this is a grey area.

Shocks and even springs are somewhat wear items which can be replaced with superior units. So replacing an item which will wear and be replaced might not be considered a mod to some. Tires wear and you replace them which is most likely why you stated they were different.

If a dealer offered Comptech springs and sways on a car off the showroom, is that considered modded?? I would say yes, as I would say that an individual adding the said parts is modding. Even upgrading the tires is modding.

But there is a somewhat undefined and understood line to where some basic changes, mods, are not out of line from what could have been provided from the factory. There is a limit but with simple springs, sways and tires are often accepted, as this is what a sports or handling package normally offers.

Not everyone would agree with this; which is understandable. But even the SCCA Solo II Stock Class permits shocks, tires, etc. changes. Which is why some people often accept minor suspension changes to be nothing significant even if it dramatically alters the handling dynamics.

IMO, regardless of why I have done to my blown CL-S6 in suspension it will not handle as well as my wife's recently sold E46 328i with sport suspension. I doubt the TL-S would be much different.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by A418t81
I'm usually down in Auburn, Al at school, but when I am home, I am in the Alpharetta area. All that I have done is an APR stage 3 and a 2.5" exhaust. While some would consider a larger turbo A4 highly modded, the turbo that APR uses really isn't that big. Its only a 30 lb/min turbo and I make full boost (19 psi) at 3200 rpms with 5 psi coming in around 2400 rpms.

I have a friend who has a 2 liter conversion along with a T3/T4 hanging off the side. On 16 psi and pump gas, he ran a 13.5 @ 105. I would consider that car highly modded, or even a regular 1.8 liter with a bigger turbo.

I'm playing with the idea of machining a GT-30 catrige into my .60 a/r compressor housing as the .48 of the exhaust housing is the same on the specific trim GT-30 I am looking at. That turbo is about 38 lb/min and should give me around 330-340 hp on pump gas and close to 400 on race with full boost coming in around 3600 rpms.

Oh yeah, mind you this is all on the stock engine and drivetrain short of an aftermarket clutch. The 1.8T built quite beastly from the factory and 400 crank hp is not really pushing this motor.
Thanks, I'll relay this information on to my employee to help urge him on.

Your friends trap should be about what I should run. We'll see though when I make it up to Commerce this fall when it cools down a bit.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:00 PM
Advanced

Which is why I stated that this is a grey area.

Shocks and even springs are somewhat wear items which can be replaced with superior units. So replacing an item which will wear and be replaced might not be considered a mod to some. Tires wear and you replace them which is most likely why you stated they were different.

If a dealer offered Comptech springs and sways on a car off the showroom, is that considered modded?? I would say yes, as I would say that an individual adding the said parts is modding. Even upgrading the tires is modding.

But there is a somewhat undefined and understood line to where some basic changes, mods, are not out of line from what could have been provided from the factory. There is a limit but with simple springs, sways and tires are often accepted, as this is what a sports or handling package normally offers.

Not everyone would agree with this; which is understandable. But even the SCCA Solo II Stock Class permits shocks, tires, etc. changes. Which is why some people often accept minor suspension changes to be nothing significant even if it dramatically alters the handling dynamics.

IMO, regardless of why I have done to my blown CL-S6 in suspension it will not handle as well as my wife's recently sold E46 328i with sport suspension. I doubt the TL-S would be much different.
your right, if tehy offered a comptech susp. kit from the dealership, that would be modded, but OEM susp. is not modded IMO. i guess its just how you look at it, but if you changing stock parts for aftermarket i would also consider that modding.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
i guess its just how you look at it, but if you changing stock parts for aftermarket i would also consider that modding.
Definitely, a perception topic and very dependant on who you talk to.

IMO, I do feel the modding makes a difference and may not be completely applicable in a comparison. But then someone could turn around and say the A4 would need to run the base suspension, non-sport suspension, etc. and on and on.......
Old 07-24-2003, 05:08 PM
Advanced

Definitely, a perception topic and very dependant on who you talk to.

IMO, I do feel the modding makes a difference and may not be completely applicable in a comparison. But then someone could turn around and say the A4 would need to run the base suspension, non-sport suspension, etc. and on and on.......
ya exactly, but i think weve pretty much run this topic into the ground lol oh well at least someone got some info out of it
Old 07-24-2003, 05:10 PM
lover and fighter

We'll see though when I make it up to Commerce this fall when it cools down a bit.
And like to be there to finally see that myself!

And this is where this post started...I have springs (no sways, but I had them installed for about two weeks until someone offered me $500 for them used and paid to take them off the car!!!), good tires and wider/larger/lighter wheels, and after test driving stock Audi's with sport suspension packages in quattro and non-quattro 1.8t form, the S4 and my friends modded '00 A4 1.8t, there is no way in h=ll my MODDED TL-S can keep up with ANY of the Audis I've mentioned here at all in the streets and roads I normally drive and where the Audis have been driven. No way in h=ll...
Old 07-24-2003, 05:26 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks, I'll relay this information on to my employee to help urge him on.

Your friends trap should be about what I should run. We'll see though when I make it up to Commerce this fall when it cools down a bit.

Yeah, I ran 104 mph a few months ago. It was a bit warm (about 65, my car shines at about 50 deg) and there were a few minor issues. I'm going back in the fall with slightly higher octane and colder weather. The car most definitely has 12's in it. [Bench racer] I'd say that in the fall based on what others who have the kit have run, the car will run a 12.9x @ 106-107 mph with a sub 2 second 60' [/benchracer]

We'll see. Either way, I'd love to get a ride in your car and maybe match up w/ you at the track. I'm not a huge street racer.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:53 AM
still a Masshole

KaO, here is the video I was talking about:

http://www.yoyo.org/~andy/private/TopgearM3.wmv

Not sure if it still works but try downloading (save target as). Seems less unbiased than the article you posted.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:51 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by ferizzo
KaO, here is the video I was talking about:

http://www.yoyo.org/~andy/private/TopgearM3.wmv

Not sure if it still works but try downloading (save target as). Seems less unbiased than the article you posted.
I'm not an M3 whore, I love the B5 S4's and will love the impending B6 RS4 (380hp, 2.7L TT and coming to the states) but I'm just posting an article that has been pretty widely circulated. It's not some shadow article that the BMW guys keep in their back pockets when the S4 drivers lash out. I probably know more information about the B5 S4's than any BMW owner should because I almost bought one before my car. But it is no secret that the S4 weights a significant amount more, is a sedan, and has less than perfect weight distribution which all seem to me like less than perfect handling characteristics. Audi intended for the S4 to be able to "beat" the M3 at everything it does, speed, handling, track times, but its just simply a sport sedan (although the M3 is also but with 2 doors) that is marketed for a different kind of consumer. Both are great cars in their own right, if you need a saloon with a great V8 engine then S4 is yours, but if you need a looker with a high-revving I6 (personally I would like the V8) and 2 doors then the M3 is your ticket. I don't really see the bias since S4s are one of my favorite vehicles.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:16 AM
lover and fighter

I think the S4 looks better than an M3. Of course I also think the TL-S looks better than a CL-S!

I don't even have kids!!!
Old 07-25-2003, 11:26 AM
Advanced

well yea I don't think the CL-S is all that appealing but the the M3 is for those who want people to look over and say "DAMN that is a nice M3" and the S4 for the people who want to see people say "that is a really nice Audi, what is that an A4?" not that is matters what other people think but yes some people do care. But that is what Audi was striving to achieve anyway, understated beauty so yes they did a great job and it looks good.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:20 PM
still a Masshole

Kao, I actually like both cars and in the not so near future hope that my fiancee gets an M3! she hates talking cars with me (cuz I do it too often) but her friend has an E39 M3 and the other day she told me "some day". Of course her car is paid for so that helps...Once we get married (nov) and get a home (in about a year hopefully) then she'll look into getting one. At that point, she'll be smoking me left and right!

Still, I'd feel better in an S4 in wet or snow. It seems the M3 does extremely well in the rain though.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:43 AM
Instructor

Re: 2003 1.8t, i laugh

Originally posted by phatratpak
Then he suggested we race on ice, snow, rain and SAND!?! Just to take advantage of his AWD. I hope we do race when it's raining and I just happen to get a good enough start to reel in 260hp and 232lbft against 170-4turboed hp....

Damn you're stupid. He is more of an idiot though if it makes you fell better.