2002 TL-S axle noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Sok saBai jia dtay?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 TL-S axle noise

I've been hearing a clicking noise from the front / driver side, and assumed it was the worn CV / axle type I'd dealt with before on my Accord. So I took it into a local shop & was quoted $175 for the axle replacement.......
Turns out the noise isn't from the axle, it's from the steering box - any one else ever hear of the TL / TL-S steering boxes going bad? (138K on the car.) Prelim quote was $500, but I don't have the exact total yet.

At least it's not another transmission (yet)
Old 08-02-2013, 05:13 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
They dont go bad.. They wear out.. And its the "Steering Rack".. Mine has a small play but I cant justify to replace it just from that..
Old 08-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Other than the clicking noise, have ya experienced any other problems when turning or steering straight ? Looseness, feeling rough, excessive vibration, jerking and surging....etc ?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Sok saBai jia dtay?

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Other than the clicking noise, have ya experienced any other problems when turning or steering straight ? Looseness, feeling rough, excessive vibration, jerking and surging....etc ?
Fortunately - no symptoms as I drive.
I had my brake rotors replaced and the 4 wheel alignment performed about 2 months ago - and nothing out of the norm before or since then - just the clicking noise as I pull in or out of my driveway. Once I'm on the road I always forget it's even an issue, until I get home, when I hear the noise again

On an unrelated note: I bought a new set of 4 General tires last year (stupid price I couldn't pass up) and while they don't hold a candle to my (worn out) Falkens, they weren't one of those "I've made a terrible mistake" moments either.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
If ya have any reason to doubt the shop's diagnosis....take it to another shop for a second opinion.

Have ya tried to safely support the front end of the car and have someone turn the steering wheel while ya try to isolate the source of the clicking sound ? Be careful if getting underneath the car to listen closer to the box.

Many times, the CV shaft joint's will click when worn. Could be a rod end BJ or maybe even the steering shaft's u-joints ??? Does it only click going in one particular direction or both ?
The following users liked this post:
Tennozan (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Sok saBai jia dtay?

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
If ya have any reason to doubt the shop's diagnosis....take it to another shop for a second opinion.

Have ya tried to safely support the front end of the car and have someone turn the steering wheel while ya try to isolate the source of the clicking sound ? Be careful if getting underneath the car to listen closer to the box.
Many times, the CV shaft joint's will click when worn. Could be a rod end BJ or maybe even the steering shaft's u-joints ??? Does it only click going in one particular direction or both ?
I trust the shop, but will lift the front up to check it out (using real jack stands) either way. I appreciate the train-of-thought ideas for troubleshooting. I've been doing this for decades - but with audio gear and not automotive items. You'd think it'd translate from one industry to the other - but - nope ("old dog / new tricks" seems to rule the day!) Thanks again.