2001 TL Power Steering Pressure Hose Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 06:52 PM
USAF Veteran

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
2001 TL Power Steering Pressure Hose Change

I watched a bunch of YT vids and read a bunch of posts before tackling this. A few of the vids did state getting the brackets out that hold the line was tough. More later

I jacked up as far as my stands would allow and removed both front wheels. This made it easier to get to the pressure switch connector on the passenger side.

Then figured I'd tackle the bracket bolts. They were quite the pain. I tried to reach them from above by stacking extensions but there was too much wobble. So under I go with my 10mm combo wrench working 1 flat at a time. Eventually they surrendered.

Disconnecting the hose ends was straightforward and the ends easlity popped out.

Now come the real hard part, how to get that dang hose out. I tried several ways going from above, below, sideways, upways and downways. There was just too much other "stuff" in the way. I didn't want to drop the exhaust (my cat is welded). In hindsight, maybe so.

I eventually maneuvered the hose out the but had to bend the hard line a bit to clear. Swapped over the switch with new oring and prepared for installation

OK, so whoever said the installation is simply the reverse of the removal should be tarred and feathered. SInce I had to tweak the hard line out, I tweaked the new one to get back in. After another hour struggling, I managed to get it back in position. However, the connection at the rack didn't line up. I had to reach in and tweak, bend, flex, swear, and pray. I finally got it to fit in the rack and have the bolts line up. The rest of the line was all over the place but figured I work from the rack forward.

So the hard line has now taken a detour and there's just no way I can get those dang brackets on. Some more prying, swearing and a bit of blood, got it close. Close enough to connect the pump side, reconnect the switch and bolt in the standoff bracket on the VC. But there's just no way those brackets are going back in. Thankfully I have a ton of tie straps so I just strapped the line in,

Filled the reservoir with Honda PS fluid, started it up and purged air. No signs of leaks. So far so good.

All total, it took just over 5 hours and I still have to clean my tools and put them away. Off to do that now.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,465 Posts
^
Nice job and thanks for the detail.

I attached the 'extent' as to how much (oh so very little ) 'instruction' the Helms manual provides in performing this on a 2G CL-S.

If I were to guess, it's probably very similar to what the Helms for the 2G TL shows.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 01-01-2020, 07:29 PM
USAF Veteran

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Thanks, The supply line shows a flared fitting. I think this would have been much easier. Mine not being a "S" has a block similar to the pump side. It reaches over the top of the rack. The FSM I have doesn't detail just hose replacement.