2000 TL - Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 TL - Won't start

Just found this forum and thought I'd try to get some input on this issue. I have never really had any problems with my Acura, until today - it doesn't start (it was fine till yesterday).

The lights etc come on, however during ignition I just hear a startup noise - like an electic drum beating (like spark plug trying? sorry I don't know how better to describe it). A couple of times it almost started but then back to this noise.

Just wanted to check if anybody has any input on this, otherwise I'll have to get it towed to the car shop.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:06 PM
00 TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
happened to me a while ago too, but then i tried it a day later and it worked fine ever since
Old 08-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I dont really get your description. Spark plugs dont do any thing other than spark. No noise. Does it sound th same as when it starts normally or is it a completely different sound. Is the motor turning over? is the starter doing any thing or is it that thats making the noise

Lastly do you see the green key in the instrument cluster while trying to start it?
Old 08-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Cruisin'

Yes, I see the green key in the instrument panel when trying to start.

The sound might be the starter, it's more like an electronic beat (as opposed to a more mechanical sound like when the engine actually starts). During normal start, I hear this "electronic" noise for a sec or less before the engine actually starts. I am not sure what it means for the "motor turning over".

Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
^^ this happened to my boi ... he has a 2003 tl type s ... he changed his battery and his car has been fine ever since ...
Old 08-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Intermediate

your battery is dead. I jad the same problem last week. out of blue, the car refused to sart and would make cliking noises when attepted to star. wont even jump start. replaced the battery. works fine sincce then
Old 08-26-2007, 12:44 AM
Cruisin'

I was going through the owners manual, and it mentions that if the battery is dead the audio system will disable itself, however in my case the radio is still working. Also, the test indicator window on the battery shows green, which is suppose to indicate that the battery is charged.

Can the battery still be dead?

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:22 AM
USDM -> JDM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by arbees
I was going through the owners manual, and it mentions that if the battery is dead the audio system will disable itself, however in my case the radio is still working. Also, the test indicator window on the battery shows green, which is suppose to indicate that the battery is charged.

Thanks.

its the battery... i know it for a fact. on July 4th, 07 i drove my car to everett then turned it off and then i wanted to go out to get something to eat and the car didnt start. i even tried jumping it, charging the battery but it doesnt work. even though the battery was dead, my radio was able to be used. but then my uncle took me out and got a new battery and replaced it and the car started. and i have an 03TL-p
Old 08-26-2007, 01:36 AM
USDM -> JDM

Originally Posted by AZN.M3NACE
its the battery... i know it for a fact. on July 4th, 07 i drove my car to everett then turned it off and then i wanted to go out to get something to eat and the car didnt start. i even tried jumping it, charging the battery but it doesnt work. even though the battery was dead, my radio was able to be used. but then my uncle took me out and got a new battery and replaced it and the car started. and i have an 03TL-p

edit: i was at my uncles place when i turned off the car... then about 30minutes later it wouldnt turn on
Old 08-26-2007, 02:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks.
yes the battery could be dead. But there also could be enough power in it to power your radio but not start it. If your battery is original its a high probability its time for replacement. Most battery places and shops can load test it if you take it out and bring it to them. They will tell you if its good or not
Old 08-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
^I agree ... my battery punked out on me ... your description closely matches what I experienced about a year and a half ago (came back from Vegas ... to find my battery dead! Lucky my car was on my driveway when it died)
Old 08-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Cruisin'

Yes, it's still the original battery that came with the car. I'll try to get it checked today (through AAA).

If it does need replacement, should I get the OEM battery (from an Acura dealer) or any other brand? Going through some of the threads, it seems like the Optima ones are recommended?

Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Costco sells good batteries-
the Optima is a heavy duty RV/Boat deep cycle battery for those who play the stereo or watch videos in the car for hours at a time

You dont need AAA- I can guarantee they will try to sell you 150 worth of battery
Drive to any parts store who will come outside with a tester and check the entire system for FREE- then you go in an buy battery

The radio security feature will lock the radio when battery disconnected
There is a 5 digit code needed to make it work again
Check your glovebox door edge for handwritten numbers- or the biz card form sellng dealer in owner book- several other places to look like inside fuse box covers- you need that code or have to remove radio to get serial number and go to dealer for code lookup
Old 08-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the suggestion, I would do that except for the fact that my car doesn't startup at all so I can't drive it to a shop to get the tests done.

I was going to use AAA to try to jumstart it, and if that didn't work to tow it to the shop (or Costco) where they can replace the battery.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Cruisin'

And it looks like it is the battery after all, I just checked and the audio system is now asking for the code. Whatever juice was left in the battery to power the audio system is now apparently gone, maybe due to all the starting attempts.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Team Owner

A trip to Costco it is!
Call a friend for a ride- its simple to replace the battery

Did you find the radio security code?

After new battery has been driven 1/2 hour to fully charge, stop by the parts store and ask for the electrical system test to make sure the alternator is ok
When you have bad battery- the alt works overtime to keep the car running
Old 08-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Cruisin'

I got the battery jump started in the afternoon, and took the car for a 1/2 hour ride to get the battery charged up a bit. Most of the places were closed today, Sears Auto was open but they quoted like 200 bucks for a maintenance free battery...

I am taking the car for the 63,500 maintenance this week (the light is on) so I will ask the service center to do some additional checks.

In the meantime, I am shopping around for a battery, is $200 normal for a maintenance free battery? Any specific brands that are good?

And yes, I got the radio unlocked, the code was in the flap of the users manual leather cover, the dealer apparently put it there and I never took it out of the glove comparment

Thanks for all the input, it was quite helpful.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator

200 from sears is a ripoff. You could buy a optima from sears for less.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Cruisin'

I couldn't resist and tried to start the car again (after the charging in the afternoon) and it didn't start, same problem. Alas.

So a couple of questions:

1) Since the stock battery was maintenance-free, should I get a similar one? How much hassle is it to get a non-maintenance-free one?

2) What is the average price of a good maintenance-free and non battery? (so I don't get ripped off).

3) Any recommended brands?

I did a search for these in the forum but battery, etc are so generic terms that I get tons of hits. If there are any good threads in the forum that someone can point to that would be great too.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:38 AM
Team Owner

A 70$ battery will serve the normal person well for 3 years or so
any parts stores brand- many have good warranty-prorating for when it dies
The Optimas can be had for 160 at parts stores
Sears Die Hards do just that-stay away!!!
Stop killing your car driving it and hope the alternator is ok after all this

I like maitenance ports on my battery so I can add water when the high engine temps boil it away, no maitenance battery- thats like never changing the oil!
Old 08-27-2007, 01:57 AM
USDM -> JDM

i got battery from shucks auto supply(checkers)(kragens) for 80bucks but i have 96Month warrenty on it =D
Old 08-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Cruisin'

I got the battery replaced today and the car starts now and is working fine.

Got a jump start in the morning and drove to the dealer for battery change and servicing. Battery (non-maintenance) was about $120 (100 months warrenty).

So far so good, however I also got the front and back brake pads replaced and they also resurfaced/realigned the rotors - and charged almost 300 bucks just for labor for this! Just doesn't seem reasonable (yeah, I know I agreed to them). Lesson learnt I guess, next time I will think twice before going to the dealer for such things.

They also suggested to get the timing belt replaced in the next few months - package for $1000, and to get the fuel injector cleaned for $100. Alas.

Thanks for all the input, I have learnt more about my car in the last few days than since I bought it!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:27 AM
USDM -> JDM

I got the battery replaced today and the car starts now and is working fine.

Got a jump start in the morning and drove to the dealer for battery change and servicing. Battery (non-maintenance) was about $120 (100 months warrenty).

So far so good, however I also got the front and back brake pads replaced and they also resurfaced/realigned the rotors - and charged almost 300 bucks just for labor for this! Just doesn't seem reasonable (yeah, I know I agreed to them). Lesson learnt I guess, next time I will think twice before going to the dealer for such things.

They also suggested to get the timing belt replaced in the next few months - package for $1000, and to get the fuel injector cleaned for $100. Alas.

Thanks for all the input, I have learnt more about my car in the last few days than since I bought it!

what dealer did you take it to? Acura of Bellevue, Acura of Seattle, Hinshaw's Acura or Acura of Lynnwood?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:45 AM
Cruisin'

Acura of Bellevue.