1999 TL VS 1995 LEGEND LS

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 02:19 AM

Smile 1999 TL VS 1995 LEGEND LS

was sups,after searching for days on the internet for a tl website i finally found this one hehe,anyways im 19 and after 3 years of rolling around in a 89 camry(the mighty bucket) my dad purchased a new GS300 and gave me his 99 TL,of course i have to take over payments but its better then getting a new civic from him which he wanted to get me,anyways my friend just recently got a used 1995 acura legend sedan LS and said he would be able to dust my TL,both of our cars are stock,i dont know the specs on the legends can someone help me out?also i want to add some exhaust,but i dont know if i should get exhaust for a luxury car,are the comptech exhaust loud?thanks for the help guys..
Old 11-28-2000, 02:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, haven't checked specs on the Almighty Legend recently but the TL should be quicker, I bet.

In 2000, the TL got a 5-speed tranny unlike your 4-speed, and also added more low-end torque so the '00 and '01 are a little quicker, but not by more than 1/2 second.

As far as exhaust, that is a matter of taste. Personally, I wouldn't want my TL to be louder to keep the luxury aspect of the ride going on. Others will differ. There's someone on this board who got a Comptech exhaust for his TL and wants to get rid of it due to increased noise. I hear that the Mugen exhaust is very nice and is not louder than stock, but it is like $1300 so not a lot of folks get it. Also, getting a performance intake such as CAI or short ram will increase noise due to the removal of the resonator box.

If ya wanna go faster but not louder:
- Mugen exhaust
- Comptech headers (minor noise increase)
- High-flow cat

That should keep you busy, and also relieve you of a few grand in the meanwhile!

Parting thought: big ol' rims do look nice, but check the weight carefully, as adding weight at the wheel is a sure-fire way to make your car accelerate more slowly. Bummer is that the nice 17s and 18s cost thousands when they're of the lightweight "racing" variety.

------------------
'01 pearlescent white
-Wing, tint, cop-finder
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
-Permanent tinitus courtesy of Rockford-Fosgate

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Gomez on 11-28-2000 @ ]</font>
Old 11-28-2000, 02:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Oh, yeah - yer buddy wants to dust you in the Legend? One way to see what's faster... race his *ss!!!

(I suggest you make a wager)

------------------
'01 pearlescent white
-Wing, tint, cop-finder
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
-Permanent tinitus courtesy of Rockford-Fosgate
Old 11-28-2000, 02:49 AM

thanks for the reply,i dont think i will be adding an exhaust,i want to keep luxury look and feel of the tl,i might add a factory bodykit and some 18 inch rims,cause i dont think i would want to use the tl to race,maybe i'll get like a datsun 510 and fix that up =)

anyways,any tips or suggestions on how to get a good launch?i dont plan on racing the tl a lot,maybe just this one time to shut my friend up
Old 11-28-2000, 03:09 AM
Pro

if you get rims you have to lower as well or it will look totally whack. Lowering will reduce ride quality. So i suggest you just do nothing at all if you want to keep the luxury. also, when racing the TL in a straight line, take off TCS. Never just mash the gas to the floor immediately; there will be too much wheel spin and you will a half second slower 0-60 at least. make the tires just chirp. Also, Brake-torqueing will allow for faster times but i doubt it is good for your trany.
Old 11-28-2000, 09:20 AM
Advanced

Being that your friend has the TYPE I moter in his 95 LS Sedan, it has the 200HP engine. TL does have the edge in power, torque, and 0-60, and 1/4 mile specs. Make no mistake though, the Legend can really get up an move on the higher end. If I had to guess. Given all things equal, with two equal drivers, both cars being is reletive good mechanical shape, and both good satarts, and both being stock,I would say your TL should edge him out in the 0-60, and 1/4 mile department. Once you get past 90-100 MPH though, DO NOT under estimate the Legend. That is where it suprisingly pulls very strong just past 130 MPH for the TYPE I. My opnion, it would be a very close match, but you still could take him by no more then 1/2 car to 1 car. That would mean that he would be right on your rear bumper if you win. If he had a manual 5-Speed, it would again be a toss up on the low end.

JFYI, if it were a TYPE II Legend with 230 HP auto, I would say the 0-60 and 1/4 mile would be a toss up, but he would definately start to pull on the high end up past 135 strongly, and top out about mid 140s. If it were the TYPE II Legend with a 6-Speed, then I would say the Legend would have an edge all around. Performace spec wise, it matches the CL-S almost identiaclly.

Anyway, give it a shot, and I personally think you have a good chance to beat him. By the way, tell your Legend friend stop being as ASS He is giving us Legend owners a bad name. J/K. Tell us how it went, win or lose, I'm intereseted in how a TYPE I auto Legend stacks up with the new TLs.
Old 11-29-2000, 01:22 AM
Pro

Just race him!

Welcome to the board!
Old 11-29-2000, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by ChrisK:
Being that your friend has the TYPE I moter in his 95 LS Sedan, it has the 200HP engine. TL does have the edge in power, torque, and 0-60, and 1/4 mile specs. Make no mistake though, the Legend can really get up an move on the higher end. If I had to guess. Given all things equal, with two equal drivers, both cars being is reletive good mechanical shape, and both good satarts, and both being stock,I would say your TL should edge him out in the 0-60, and 1/4 mile department. Once you get past 90-100 MPH though, DO NOT under estimate the Legend. That is where it suprisingly pulls very strong just past 130 MPH for the TYPE I. My opnion, it would be a very close match, but you still could take him by no more then 1/2 car to 1 car. That would mean that he would be right on your rear bumper if you win. If he had a manual 5-Speed, it would again be a toss up on the low end.

JFYI, if it were a TYPE II Legend with 230 HP auto, I would say the 0-60 and 1/4 mile would be a toss up, but he would definately start to pull on the high end up past 135 strongly, and top out about mid 140s. If it were the TYPE II Legend with a 6-Speed, then I would say the Legend would have an edge all around. Performace spec wise, it matches the CL-S almost identiaclly.

Anyway, give it a shot, and I personally think you have a good chance to beat him. By the way, tell your Legend friend stop being as ASS He is giving us Legend owners a bad name. J/K. Tell us how it went, win or lose, I'm intereseted in how a TYPE I auto Legend stacks up with the new TLs.
how do you always find these before me Chris!?

------------------
Originally posted by Einstein:
"No torque for you!"
Yes, I'm LegendTodd, shudup already
Old 11-30-2000, 10:12 AM
Racer

if i'm not mistaken, the LS has the type II engine.. in which case he has 230hp as ChrisK mentioned.. should be an interesting race . i love legends.. what a beautiful car (especially coupe).. why did they have to go and fvck it up w/ the RL .. ah well

------------------
-Fiddler
1998 Accord EX V6 Coupe
Old 12-01-2000, 12:17 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Fiddler:
if i'm not mistaken, the LS has the type II engine.. in which case he has 230hp as ChrisK mentioned.. should be an interesting race . i love legends.. what a beautiful car (especially coupe).. why did they have to go and fvck it up w/ the RL .. ah well
The LS Sedan still has the TYPE I engine. Only the 93-95 L, and LS Coupes, and the 94-95 GS Sedans have the TYPE II. So in this case, his TL should still have a theoretical the edge. Anything can happen on a street race though

------------------
Chris K.
Old 12-01-2000, 02:14 AM

I don't know. Those Legend are fast!

My kills include plenty of Lexuses, 5 and 3 series bimmers others but the only time I ran against a Legend I got roasted.
I think it was you ChrisK? that kept telling me that is was some special edition or something but it didn't look that different to me. But what do I know?

I say race him and see what your TL can do!
Old 12-01-2000, 04:25 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by John00TL:
I don't know. Those Legend are fast!

My kills include plenty of Lexuses, 5 and 3 series bimmers others but the only time I ran against a Legend I got roasted.
I think it was you ChrisK? that kept telling me that is was some special edition or something but it didn't look that different to me. But what do I know?

I say race him and see what your TL can do!
Hmm, I said that? If you are refering the to race with the G1 Leged Sedan with the out of State plates that was a discussion about 2 months ago, then I think I mentioned that I knew that owner, and his Legend was "Special". By that I mean he is an engineering student, his dad is a Physics Professor, and he has lots of access to engineering facilities in which he had built and designed many of his owm performance parts. He also does some consulting for the BMW Performance Devision, or what ever you call it. Smart guy. Other then that, the only "kind of" special Legend is the TYPE II Legends. There was a Legend Sedan Special Edition in 95, however that car was really based on the base Legend, with added options and two tone paint. Nothing really special there.

Anyway, I also say race him, as I still want to see the outcome. In my heart, I think it would be close,and the Legend possibly could pull it off. However, on paper the TL should be able to take him. On my part, I'd like to see if the stock TYPE I can stand up to the TL. Good luck either way.

------------------
Chris K.
Old 12-02-2000, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Talking

Yeah race him!!! My previous car was a 1991 Legend, with the Type I engine obviously. They are pretty fast though, especially on the high end as mentioned before.

------------------

2001 Acura 3.2TL w/ Navi Black ext. Ebony int., Sunroof Visor,
35% Smoke Metallic Tint, Burlwood Shiftknob and more to come!
Old 12-02-2000, 12:47 PM
Intermediate

Wink

YEAH RACE HIM!!!

------------------
Jeff
Legendary94GS Auto
Razo shift and pedals
RM Racing Intake
Greddy Trust Exhaust
17" Chrome Momo Arrows
Ground Control Coilovers
JDM One-Piece Headlights
OEM Foglight Kit
Old 12-02-2000, 03:43 PM

Red face

i raced him yesterday..i wont go into details but we were nose to nose for awhile then about 80-90 he started getting the lead but i was still on his ass though,then i just slowed down cause there was no use to go any faster hehe =)
Old 12-03-2000, 01:46 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

TL-408,

two great cars, one great race!!

don't feel bad because i'm sure if you were to go again the outcome may be different. Either one could beat the other on any given day

Just another testament to Acura did and still makes great performance sedans.

care to take on a TYPE II GS???

------------------
Jeff
Legendary94GS Auto
Razo shift and pedals
RM Racing Intake
Greddy Trust Exhaust
17" Chrome Momo Arrows
Ground Control Coilovers
JDM One-Piece Headlights
OEM Foglight Kit
Old 12-03-2000, 05:31 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by TL-408:
i raced him yesterday..i wont go into details but we were nose to nose for awhile then about 80-90 he started getting the lead but i was still on his ass though,then i just slowed down cause there was no use to go any faster hehe =)
I agree with Jeff (94LEGENDGS), it could go either way at any given day. You TL guys do have something that we Legend owners are extremely jealous of. You guys have Comptech Headers. We have ablsolutely no aftermarket headers whatsoever

------------------
Chris K.
Old 12-04-2000, 12:04 AM

94LEGENDGS,

hehe if i was pretty even with my friends ls,i wouldnt dare go against a GS,one of my other friends has a 2dr legend GS and he asked me to race but i turned him down with the quickness..btw nice car
Old 12-04-2000, 01:23 AM
Advanced

94LEGENDGS,

hehe if i was pretty even with my friends ls,i wouldnt dare go against a GS,one of my other friends has a 2dr legend GS and he asked me to race but i turned him down with the quickness..btw nice car
Actually, if your friend is saying he has a 2 Door GS (Coupe) then I wouldn't even race him with my 6-Speed There is no such thing as a GS Coupe, but it keeps poping up now and then, so we Legend owners call it "The Infamous GS Coupe" or "The Mystical GS Coupe" If his year is a 91-92 Coupe, then he has the same moter as the Sedan you raced. If it is a 93-95 Coupe, then he got a TYPE II. Take it easy.

------------------
Chris K.
Old 12-07-2000, 03:14 AM
Intermediate

94LEGENDGS,

thanks for the compliment. i so enjoy the great camaraderie that the Legend owners have with the TL/CL owners. I've seen other boards that are just shameful and full of flames.

if there is a follow-up race keep us posted

------------------
Jeff
Legendary94GS Auto
Razo shift and pedals
RM Racing Intake
Greddy Trust Exhaust
17" Chrome Momo Arrows
Ground Control Coilovers
JDM One-Piece Headlights
OEM Foglight Kit
Old 04-28-2004, 08:36 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i use to own a 1991 legend and i'd have to agree with everybody that the legend does pull in the higher speeds. More then my 1999 TL does.